IGNORED

Raekwan Nelson

GrahamC

7 hours ago, trickytimes said:

Didn't Geoff Merrick and Chris Garland both go to South Street primary.

Although both from the area. they went to different primary schools.  Chris went to South st. whereas Geoff went to Luckwell. Chris was coached by a teacher, Mr Vokes, who was involved in the Bristol Boys football set up. A brilliant teacher, as well as a football coach, he also coached other Bristol city proteges such as Peter Rogers and cousin Martyn Rogers, who both played league football albeit not at the level that Chris Garland reached. An extract from Geoff Merrick's biography below is interesting where he refers to playing against Chris Garland. I also remember a post from another OTIB member who played against a South st.  side where a rampant Chris garland scored 10 goals in an 11-1 beating.

'I loved playing outfield although at one time I really fancied myself as a goalkeeper, and on a few occasions I played in goal for the school. My favourite player was Tony Macedo, who was Fulham’s goalkeeper. I thought he was brilliant and decided that goalkeeper was the position for me until Mr Prewitt and my dad had a gentle word in my ear about how the team needed me outfield. I wished I had gone against their advice in a local derby Life with the robins and beyond 26 against South Street School, who were just up the road from us. Mr Prewitt gave us a little team talk and warned me of their star player, a blond lad called Chris Garland. Mr Prewitt told me to watch Chris as he was an exceptionally good player. Chris was two years older than me and he lived in Ashton, which was right next to Bedminster, and although I cannot remember the result I do remember he ran rings round me that day and when we tussled for the ball, he punched me in the eye. Chris would become one of my great friends on and off the pitch; we shared some great times and some not-so-great times together at Bristol City and he will always be special to me. I did well with Luckwell but as I said I never really had any thoughts of being a professional player. Mr Prewitt, however, believed in me and put me forward for the Bristol Boys trial at Bower Ashton, which was just up the road. The Bristol Boys had various age groups and they would play against other teams from different towns and cities. It was really prestigious to be selected as many lads who were picked through the years became professional players. I was about 11 and did well enough to get in the team.'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tonks55 said:

Although both from the area. they went to different primary schools.  Chris went to South st. whereas Geoff went to Luckwell. Chris was coached by a teacher, Mr Vokes, who was involved in the Bristol Boys football set up. A brilliant teacher, as well as a football coach, he also coached other Bristol city proteges such as Peter Rogers and cousin Martyn Rogers, who both played league football albeit not at the level that Chris Garland reached. An extract from Geoff Merrick's biography below is interesting where he refers to playing against Chris Garland. I also remember a post from another OTIB member who played against a South st.  side where a rampant Chris garland scored 10 goals in an 11-1 beating.

'I loved playing outfield although at one time I really fancied myself as a goalkeeper, and on a few occasions I played in goal for the school. My favourite player was Tony Macedo, who was Fulham’s goalkeeper. I thought he was brilliant and decided that goalkeeper was the position for me until Mr Prewitt and my dad had a gentle word in my ear about how the team needed me outfield. I wished I had gone against their advice in a local derby Life with the robins and beyond 26 against South Street School, who were just up the road from us. Mr Prewitt gave us a little team talk and warned me of their star player, a blond lad called Chris Garland. Mr Prewitt told me to watch Chris as he was an exceptionally good player. Chris was two years older than me and he lived in Ashton, which was right next to Bedminster, and although I cannot remember the result I do remember he ran rings round me that day and when we tussled for the ball, he punched me in the eye. Chris would become one of my great friends on and off the pitch; we shared some great times and some not-so-great times together at Bristol City and he will always be special to me. I did well with Luckwell but as I said I never really had any thoughts of being a professional player. Mr Prewitt, however, believed in me and put me forward for the Bristol Boys trial at Bower Ashton, which was just up the road. The Bristol Boys had various age groups and they would play against other teams from different towns and cities. It was really prestigious to be selected as many lads who were picked through the years became professional players. I was about 11 and did well enough to get in the team.'

Thanks for that information - I had always assumed they both went to South Street. I think it may have been me that referred to Bishopsworth Junior school (now St Peters) losing 11-1 to South Street. I did not play in the game, but my best friend marked Chris Garland (very badly it would seem).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, trickytimes said:

Thanks for that information - I had always assumed they both went to South Street. I think it may have been me that referred to Bishopsworth Junior school (now St Peters) losing 11-1 to South Street. I did not play in the game, but my best friend marked Chris Garland (very badly it would seem).

As you might have guessed, I was a product of South St, school and played in a pretty useful South st, team a few years after Chris Garland. Nobody famous from my year although there were some pretty useful footballers nonetheless (at age 9/10 years of age!), who no doubt had great careers in local football all the same. 

1 hour ago, Tonks55 said:

As you might have guessed, I was a product of South St, school and played in a pretty useful South st, team a few years after Chris Garland. Nobody famous from my year although there were some pretty useful footballers nonetheless (at age 9/10 years of age!), who no doubt had great careers in local football all the same. 

Happy memories of Mr. Vokes, real old school and the type of teacher sadly missed today.

He would have been 3 years ahead of me but i'm pretty sure i remember seeing Gareth Chilcott play in goal for SS simply because he almost filled half the goal because of his size even  then.

4 hours ago, bemmyredjeff said:

Happy memories of Mr. Vokes, real old school and the type of teacher sadly missed today.

He would have been 3 years ahead of me but i'm pretty sure i remember seeing Gareth Chilcott play in goal for SS simply because he almost filled half the goal because of his size even  then.

Perhaps this should be on a different thread (Mods feel free to move and retitle) but here is Chris Garland in the South St team. (with the ball at his feet!)

image.jpeg.363d4ee5d8c1d6090cdb2656defbce03.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Robin 1