IGNORED

Guess the year..

B1ackbird

2 minutes ago, Offside said:

I’d say 1988-89 season. I remember the criss-cross design of the programme. Later that season we signed Super Bob Taylor  

I’ve got no memory of that game, though. Presumably it was the Robbie Savage playing for them? And the Trevor Morgan who once played for us?

No, it’s wasn’t the Robbie Savage; he never played for Bolton and didn’t make his debut until the mid-90s. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Offside said:

I’d say 1988-89 season. I remember the criss-cross design of the programme. Later that season we signed Super Bob Taylor  

I’ve got no memory of that game, though. Presumably it was the Robbie Savage playing for them? And the Trevor Morgan who once played for us?

Yep, different Robbie Savage.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Mark Gavin was on of the first players I remember idolising when he was with us. I would have been about 8 or 9 around that time. Proper winger.

Me and you are about the same age then. Mine was the man on the other wing, Dave Smith. As a fellow left footer I think I was biased! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Me and you are about the same age then. Mine was the man on the other wing, Dave Smith. As a fellow left footer I think I was biased! 

Gavin was far more skillful and tricky but i don't think i've seen a player to this day like Smith who could cross a ball whilst running at full speed as well as he did, sometimes whilst sliding on his arse! Just knock it past the full back and go, no frills just pace and determination.

12 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Who cares about the year, what a team!!

Looking at the actual results you might change your view;

We didn’t win a league game in January & it is widely believed the only one that we won in February (Gillingham at home when Big Joe scored the only goal) saved him from the sack.

In March & April we lost at Bolton, 4-0 at home to Notts County (!) 2-0 at Brentford, at home to all of Southend, Brentford & Blackpool..

The longer ago it was the better players seem to appear, but the reality is we were a massively underachieving side in the third tier who had a brilliant cup run & whose fortunes were then revived by signing Super Bob.

Loads of the other players here McClaren, Galliers, Pender, Milne, Shutt didn’t work out or in a couple of cases like the first two, were simply terrible.

57 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Loads of the other players here McClaren, Galliers, Pender, Milne, Shutt didn’t work out or in a couple of cases like the first two, were simply terrible.

I’d dispute that McClaren and Galliers were terrible.  Both were good players: McClaren was a classy midfielder and Steve Galliers was a little terrier, particularly given that at the time I believe he was the shortest player in league football.  However Joe Jordan clearly didn’t think they were quite what we needed, because he brought in Dave Rennie and converted him from a centre half to midfield; Paul Wimbleton, who was not a success; and then the ace in the pack, Gary Shelton.

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

If you got a spare five minutes, watch, how david Smith played for the gills at ours that season, our defence couldn't get near him

Out of all the players I’ve seen perform against us over the years , that performance with me thinking ‘wish we could get him’ was one that actually happened , and he delivered , and some,  for me.

Was a fantastic , entertaining player to watch and absolutely a player who actually did get you ‘off your seat’ on a regular basis 

When he hit the after burners it was a real ‘Wow’

Great left foot and one of my most enjoyed and favourite  players form the decades.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Looking at the actual results you might change your view;

We didn’t win a league game in January & it is widely believed the only one that we won in February (Gillingham at home when Big Joe scored the only goal) saved him from the sack.

In March & April we lost at Bolton, 4-0 at home to Notts County (!) 2-0 at Brentford, at home to all of Southend, Brentford & Blackpool..

The longer ago it was the better players seem to appear, but the reality is we were a massively underachieving side in the third tier who had a brilliant cup run & whose fortunes were then revived by signing Super Bob.

I was ‘around’ the Club at the time and can assure you that JJs neck was absolutely on the line as we faced Huddersfield at home on a wet April Tuesday night , in front of 6/7000 if IIRC , with new signing Bob Taylor lining up

A SuperBob hat trick and a 6-1 romp , and things looked a whole lot brighter 

40 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I was ‘around’ the Club at the time and can assure you that JJs neck was absolutely on the line as we faced Huddersfield at home on a wet April Tuesday night , in front of 6/7000 if IIRC , with new signing Bob Taylor lining up

A SuperBob hat trick and a 6-1 romp , and things looked a whole lot brighter 

Didnt craig maskell score a brace that night too...