IGNORED

Moving to Bristol

BigKiwi

Kia Ora everyone, I posted on the footy chat regarding City related stuff, but was encouraged to post on here too. My partner and I are moving to Bristol in 6 months time - were mid twenties, from New Zealand. Basically I'm looking for local advice, on anything really! Good areas to live, things to do, things I should know that perhaps I can't really Google about Bristol, etc. Would appreciate any help!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigKiwi said:

Kia Ora everyone, I posted on the footy chat regarding City related stuff, but was encouraged to post on here too. My partner and I are moving to Bristol in 6 months time - were mid twenties, from New Zealand. Basically I'm looking for local advice, on anything really! Good areas to live, things to do, things I should know that perhaps I can't really Google about Bristol, etc. Would appreciate any help!

Where to live really depends on budget for rent/mortgage.  I’d recommend Bishopston if you can. Great during the day and night.  Walking distance to the centre as well. 

• Like 2

Yeh anywhere off the Gloucester Rd is very good. Budgets will vary, but it's got a bit of everything. Many independent shops, bars, pubs and restaurants. I grew up in the north end of it in Horfield and bar the blue few moving in during that time it's a great spot for all ages really. Just as easy to get central as it is to get out of the city via the motorway M4/M5 and Parkway station will get you on the mainline for the trains.

If you want something closer to Ashton Gate then perhaps Bedminster or Southville. North Street is quite similar to Glos Rd these days if a bit shorter.

If you have a big budget and still want to be close to the centre then your looking at Clifton or anywhere around the Downs. Further out Henleaze or Westbury on Trym are nice.

Places like Easton, St Pauls, St Weburghs, Montpelier are still a bit rough around the edges but are full of hipsters and have some decent places to hang out and are again quite close to the center. Somewhere like Fishponds is a middle ground and not far out.

Unless your budget is limited, you will probably want to avoid the large council estates like Lockleaze, Filton, Patchway, Knowle West, Hartcliffe, Henbury, Lawrence Weston.

I'd lived in Bristol all my life until about 6 months ago and moved to south Wales just for space, a larger more affordable house and a more pedestrian countrified lifestyle. In my 20s i lived in Horfield, Montpelier and St Pauls and wouldn't change any of that.

For nightlife, i'll leave that to some of the younger forum members as im probably twice your age now but the city center, harbourside, Park Street are still the main spots to for a night out....i think!

Hope you settle well and enjoy Bristol. I've travelled well both in this country and abroad and it's good city with lots to offer.

• Like 1

Cheers! Coming from Wellington, you'd be surprised what we consider affordable - the rental market here is diabolical. Lots of the rent prices for small flats in nicer areas that I'm seeing in Bristol are pretty comparable to terrible Wellington properties to be honest. Sounds like Bishopston, Montpelier, St Andrews could be a good shout. Steering clear of places like Knowle I reckon. I suppose it all depends on where we can find work too, but those areas look really promising.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigKiwi said:

Cheers! Coming from Wellington, you'd be surprised what we consider affordable - the rental market here is diabolical. Lots of the rent prices for small flats in nicer areas that I'm seeing in Bristol are pretty comparable to terrible Wellington properties to be honest. Sounds like Bishopston, Montpelier, St Andrews could be a good shout. Steering clear of places like Knowle I reckon. I suppose it all depends on where we can find work too, but those areas look really promising.

Absolutely can’t go wrong if you are near any of those.  

7 hours ago, BigKiwi said:

I would probably stay clear of choosing somewhere until you find where you are working. Bristol traffic can be horrendous in rush hour so finding somewhere in easy reach of your work will be a big plus.
There are plenty of nice areas but it will hard if you set your heart on an area, only to find you could be travelling an hour or more to work each day. 
Alternately , find your dream place and choose a job near by. Probably harder that way around though.

11 hours ago, BigKiwi said:

Rita Ora to you also.

I always thought Whykickamoocow was a nice part of Wellington. Something comparable around Brizzol would be Yatton. 

Main line train to Londonium or Brizzol. Nice country club, chip shop and launderette.

22 hours ago, BigKiwi said:

I feel you're going to be mighty disappointed coming from Wellington to Bristol.

21 hours ago, richwwtk said:

If it’s not a daft question, you seemingly aren't moving for work and have little previous knowledge of the area, so why choose Bristol?

No that's a totally valid question. In NZ and Australia it's rite of passage to spend a couple years in the UK/**** off somewhere in the northern hemisphere for a bit. Easy to move there, and an ideal launch pad for extensive travel in Europe. I love NZ but god it's far away from everything. But why Bristol specifically? Most people go to London, but we're not that keen on it. We've talked to a lot of people and invariably everyone speaks glowingly about Bristol. As another poster said, there's comparisons to Melbourne with the art/music/food scene which we really like (Wellington is similar in that regard also). My partner also has family in Somerset, so Bristol is relatively close by. We looked at a bunch of different cities - Manchester, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Brighton, etc - Bristol had by far the best balance of things we were looking for in a city. 

• Like 5

On 28/09/2023 at 21:18, BigKiwi said:

Kia Ora fellow kiwi. 

I've have lived in Bristol for the past 36 years, and you can't find anywhere better than Bristol.  Yes it has it problems but the diversity of this area is fantastic. Plenty of different shops pubs and cafés. The gateway to the south west and Cornwall. You won't find anywhere better.  

Also there are many stunning and beautiful places to visit in the UK. We know us kiwis need to spread our wings , and doing so appreciate NZ more. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, kiwicolin said:

Kia Ora fellow kiwi. 

I've have lived in Bristol for the past 36 years, and you can't find anywhere better than Bristol.  Yes it has it problems but the diversity of this area is fantastic. Plenty of different shops pubs and cafés. The gateway to the south west and Cornwall. You won't find anywhere better.  

Also there are many stunning and beautiful places to visit in the UK. We know us kiwis need to spread our wings , and doing so appreciate NZ more. 

Also North Street,  near Ashton Gate is a nice area as well for diversity. 

9 hours ago, BigKiwi said:

No that's a totally valid question. In NZ and Australia it's rite of passage to spend a couple years in the UK/**** off somewhere in the northern hemisphere for a bit. Easy to move there, and an ideal launch pad for extensive travel in Europe. I love NZ but god it's far away from everything. But why Bristol specifically? Most people go to London, but we're not that keen on it. We've talked to a lot of people and invariably everyone speaks glowingly about Bristol. As another poster said, there's comparisons to Melbourne with the art/music/food scene which we really like (Wellington is similar in that regard also). My partner also has family in Somerset, so Bristol is relatively close by. We looked at a bunch of different cities - Manchester, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Brighton, etc - Bristol had by far the best balance of things we were looking for in a city. 

Best places to live in England…..Brighton, Bristol, Manchester in that order and not much between them really.