IGNORED

Stoke City at home match thread

52 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

There is no way Pring was fouled. Wouldn’t even go as far as to say he was nudged. It was a half hearted attempt to challenge for the ball as he was turning his back to it.

You really need to watch the video taken from SS.

Where do you sit btw?

I’m in LS, I thought it was a coming together, but I had a crap angle.

it’s a forearm smash.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Where do you sit btw?

it’s a forearm smash.

Ah sorry, I was on about the lead up to their first goal, not the penalty incident. Completely misunderstood the conversation!

Having said that, I don’t recall thinking this was as much of a penalty as the one on Sykes at the time. Seeing the different angles now though it looks like a decent shout. I sit in S20 so not the best of views over on that side.

21 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Agree that Cornick is far better through the middle. Not sure that he still carries a huge goal threat but he certainly creates chances. And as gangly and awkward as he appears most of the time, the ball so often seems to stick to him. He must be a bit of a nightmare to defend against. Whether he could play in a pair with Conway is something to consider for the rest of the season.

I'd like to see him and Conway up top together. I think that would be quite a handful for teams. 

But to play a 2 up front we either need to go back to a 352 or a 442. I now think that with Knight in the team, we may be able to play 442. 

On 01/10/2023 at 11:27, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes I suspect so, but there we go...Aston Villa fans, Derby fans also weren't keen based on their forums but reading social media I don't much care for Stoke fans.

Watching the extended highlights those who ran forward in the Atyeo when they equalised, I do hope they got ejected.

As a Stoke fan who ran down to the front you'll be disappointed to know we didn't get ejected. No one got hurt, just Stoke lads savouring the moment.

What made it even better was the fact the lad that scored, Lowe, was making his league debut on Saturday. He turned 18 last week, he's been with us since he was 8, that was his first senior goal. A last minute winner, from 2-0 down. Living the dream.

Oh, and the burgers at Bedminster Cricket Club were mint.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Norfolkandchance said:

As a Stoke fan who ran down to the front you'll be disappointed to know we didn't get ejected. No one got hurt, just Stoke lads savouring the moment.

What made it even better was the fact the lad that scored, Lowe, was making his league debut on Saturday. He turned 18 last week, he's been with us since he was 8, that was his first senior goal. A last minute winner, from 2-0 down. Living the dream.

Oh, and the burgers at Bedminster Cricket Club were mint.

I suppose that is fair, I am just asking the question. Ejection would be a bit strong and or stroppy, petulant provided they go to the front and not beyond.

I could see it from the other end of Dolman and thought hmm. I remember 11 months ago however a Swansea fan strolled out of the away end when they equalised and walked to the Dolman unchallenged celebrating and that could have caused issues. He should have been grabbed or challenged, it was pathetic security.

Yeah an academy product scoring a late winner...I get it.

I've never actually been to said venue, glad you enjoyed it.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Does anyone loathe Stoke or is it just me tbh?

Pulis was a dinosaur for one...

I went up there there a long time ago... The police sent me in the wrong direction to the ground, we lost to a late goal and we were enclosed in the ground after the game and some Stoke idiots were trying to climb the fence to get at us. Left an impression!

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Where do you sit btw?

it’s a forearm smash.

Defender makes no attempt to play the ball, leads with his arm and the Ref can see no deviation of the ball.

We just don't get them. If that's against us I'm calling the defender stupid and waiting for a whistle.

I'd like to see the Sykes one from a different angle, looks like the FB gets none of the ball , just Sykes. Lino must see that one and the Ref should too. Just back to another record breaking non Penalty run then.

• Flames 1
1 hour ago, mozo said:

I went up there there a long time ago... The police sent me in the wrong direction to the ground, we lost to a late goal and we were enclosed in the ground after the game and some Stoke idiots were trying to climb the fence to get at us. Left an impression!

Pretty hard to warm to from top to bottom really aren't they.

Loathe maybe a little bit strong by me but in the past they had a share of yobbish fans but so did most clubs now they seem to revel in a fairly backward footballing ethos- forearm smashes are great challenges but I bet they would call for a penalty there if roles reversed.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Defender makes no attempt to play the ball, leads with his arm and the Ref can see no deviation of the ball.

We just don't get them. If that's against us I'm calling the defender stupid and waiting for a whistle.

I'd like to see the Sykes one from a different angle, looks like the FB gets none of the ball , just Sykes. Lino must see that one and the Ref should too. Just back to another record breaking non Penalty run then.

I’ve spent a few minutes watching Sykes frame by frame.  Gooch clips Sykes heels just before he then leans into him.  He was initially just “wrong side”.

Therefore the trip comes before the shoulder to shoulder.  That’s a pen.

• Like 1

How you need to officiate for anti football sides ike like Stoke.

1) Add on every last second wasted. If 15 minutes at end of a game so be it.

2) Play on for both sides when down with injury if not wherever possible.

3) Take a hard line on bookings. I am sure a couple tried to delay a free kick or kick the ball away 1st half but was the other end of the Dolman so hard to say. If you need to book 2 or 3 in that scenario, so be it. Again all sides.

4) Give penalties again all sides for forearm smashes in the box etc.

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve spent a few minutes watching Sykes frame by frame.  Gooch clips Sykes heels just before he then leans into him.  He was initially just “wrong side”.

Therefore the trip comes before the shoulder to shoulder.  That’s a pen.

I tried to download it to stick it through iMovie. Wanted to zoom and slo mo but just found my old capture programme isn't compatible with the latest OS ffs.

Anyway, from zooming and watching frame by frame  I think the defender gets slightly ahead at least bodywise. Then there is contact with feet, the ball isn't affected much and they both go down. For me shoulder to shoulder and the defender would stay on his feet.  It looks like 2 very good shouts (with the Pring one ) , but you know we aren't due for about another 60 games. 

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Where do you sit btw?

it’s a forearm smash.

Once again, an absolute joke of a decision - thought it was a penalty at the time (I’m in the SS) and now I see this clip - what game were the officials watching to have missed this?!

As you say…..a forearm smash!!!

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Once again, an absolute joke of a decision - thought it was a penalty at the time (I’m in the SS) and now I see this clip - what game were the officials watching to have missed this?!

As you say…..a forearm smash!!!

Stoke fans think it is a great challenge if you look at Twitter but they aren't very sophisticated or known for a Corinthian objectivity are they.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

How you need to officiate for anti football sides ike like Stoke.

1) Add on every last second wasted. If 15 minutes at end of a game so be it.

2) Play on for both sides when down with injury if not wherever possible.

3) Take a hard line on bookings. I am sure a couple tried to delay a free kick or kick the ball away 1st half but was the other end of the Dolman so hard to say. If you need to book 2 or 3 in that scenario, so be it. Again all sides.

4) Give penalties again all sides for forearm smashes in the box etc.

Anti football side?

Youll probably see more footballing technique from Bristol Bears than what you put out at the weekend. 

Apart from Huddersfield you've been the most old school direct football team we've played this year.  Although you hit the channels well and you should because that's what your team is set up to do and easily where you are most dangerous.  I'd imagine Bell will be your next real asset sold.

Seriously, you are a very well organised, defensive first team set up.  You have next to no creativity in the team (especially centrally), it's what makes you hard to beat.  It was the same when Pearson was our assistant manager under Gary Megson.

Its why you tend to do better away from home where teams attack and then you break on them.... Yet you struggle at home when teams reciprocate and defend a bit more than if they were at home.

Noticed how you created nothing other than the two gifts in the game?  One where the shot went less than a metre either side of 4 defenders and another where our full back passed the ball to Wells on the edge of the box?

We were heavily disorganised at the weekend and weirdly it was our second worst performance of the season.  Even with that, we created few chances but they were better quality ones, bar the goal from Lleris who I didn't think would score all season.

You could have had a penalty, we could have, you could have had a player sent off when pulling the shirt of Lleris when clear through too.  I'm surprised you didn't get one as the ref was the most biased ref I've seen.  Fortunately he didn't make any poor decisions that impacted the result.

I read on here about how you dominated the game.  How??

54% possession for a team in the lead for as long as you were is very low.  It's because you kept lifting the ball in the air at every attempt making it so we couldn't play through you.  Also your XG was marginally better by less than .4, which again take out the gifts probably shows it level or with us being slightly more creative.

Most likely youll end up mid table because you are a well organised team which are used to each other and understands whats expected.  You really miss Scott in that way.

We will continue to be a mess as we integrate too many players, nationalities and cultures and will most likely finish bottom 3rd, I'd be alot more worried about relegation if not for Huddersfield, QPR, Rotherham and Wednesday.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Admin
15 hours ago, nonameface said:

By the way, why does each message need to be approved by a moderator?  Is this ran by a chinese state?

Simple answer is that all new users have to have their first ten posts approved - this is stop any bots / spammers etc getting through

You would be amazed at how much crap we stop getting through

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Meanwhile on Planet Stoke.

Has anyone got the apparent stonewall for them? Would be interesting to see.

I think the one late on (2-2) was a decent shout for them as Max got there fractionally late, but having had two really strong shouts turned down it would have been remarkable if they had then been awarded one.

As for Neil & his brand of football I noticed on Saturday that we are back to Daniel Johnson standing in front of our free kicks to stop them being take quickly, we were told pre season that was now a yellow card offence, that rule has apparently lasted barely two months..

Would really like to see someone hammer the ball at his face, he’d get back by the required distance then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I think the one late on (2-2) was a decent shout for them as Max got there fractionally late, but having had two really strong shouts turned down it would have been remarkable if they had then been awarded one.

As for Neil & his brand of football I noticed on Saturday that we are back to Daniel Johnson standing in front of our free kicks to stop them being take quickly, we were told pre season that was now a yellow card offence, that rule has apparently lasted barely two months..

Would really like to see someone hammer the ball at his face, he’d get back by the required distance then.

Well remembered. I was down the South Stand end of the Dolman but wondered what that was about- Johnson was it. I remmeber mouthing book him ref if it's the same incident?

Was it just Johnson or was it someone else. I thought the stoppage time was maybe a bit low too considering the brand of football.

Anti football side?

Youll probably see more footballing technique from Bristol Bears than what you put out at the weekend. 

Apart from Huddersfield you've been the most old school direct football team we've played this year.  Although you hit the channels well and you should because that's what your team is set up to do and easily where you are most dangerous.  I'd imagine Bell will be your next real asset sold.

Seriously, you are a very well organised, defensive first team set up.  You have next to no creativity in the team (especially centrally), it's what makes you hard to beat.  It was the same when Pearson was our assistant manager under Gary Megson.

Its why you tend to do better away from home where teams attack and then you break on them.... Yet you struggle at home when teams reciprocate and defend a bit more than if they were at home.

Noticed how you created nothing other than the two gifts in the game?  One where the shot went less than a metre either side of 4 defenders and another where our full back passed the ball to Wells on the edge of the box?

We were heavily disorganised at the weekend and weirdly it was our second worst performance of the season.  Even with that, we created few chances but they were better quality ones, bar the goal from Lleris who I didn't think would score all season.

You could have had a penalty, we could have, you could have had a player sent off when pulling the shirt of Lleris when clear through too.  I'm surprised you didn't get one as the ref was the most biased ref I've seen.  Fortunately he didn't make any poor decisions that impacted the result.

54% possession for a team in the lead for as long as you were is very low.  It's because you kept lifting the ball in the air at every attempt making it so we couldn't play through you.  Also your XG was marginally better by less than .4, which again take out the gifts probably shows it level or with us being slightly more creative.

Most likely youll end up mid table because you are a well organised team which are used to each other and understands whats expected.  You really miss Scott in that way.

We will continue to be a mess as we integrate too many players, nationalities and cultures and will most likely finish bottom 3rd, I'd be alot more worried about relegation if not for Huddersfield, QPR, Rotherham and Wednesday.

Created nothing….come on now. Second half you had a Last ditch tackle from 4 yards out on Yeboah, Naismith somehow couldn’t fumble in from 2 yards out, first half had Sykes cross that Bell was close to getting on the end of to score again from, Wells hit the park behind the stand from 20 yards out which should’ve at least forced a save if not scored from.

it took A wonder strike first half totally against run of play and deflected side foot 1 minute into second half to somehow drag you back into it, and they were total sucker punches, something Neil sides have mastered against us no matter who he’s managed. 

Possession stats are pointless, just ask Southampton fans. You also don’t need to play beautiful intricate passing when it’s literally so ******* easy to clip balls over to get in behind a team on the wings. There’s a difference between direct and long ball. Leicester won a premier league doing it.

Chanting that you want your own manager sacked 20 minutes into a game against an awful long ball side, now somehow he’s a master tactician after a proper smash and grab. Away end must’ve been absolutely beautiful, we’ve all been there, but let’s not kid ourselves here

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well remembered. I was down the South Stand end of the Dolman but wondered what that was about- Johnson was it. I remmeber mouthing book him ref if it's the same incident?

Was it just Johnson or was it someone else. I thought the stoppage time was maybe a bit low too considering the brand of football.

Definitely not Johnson, as he’d been subbed off by then.

Apart from stopping us take free kicks he was completely anonymous, he did nothing.

• Thanks 1

Anti football side?

More chances, more possession, we put quite a bit of pressure on in spells albeit too cross heavy for my liking.

Of course we miss Scott, lots of Championship clubs would. He carries, he could win fouls in both halves, strong technically etc.

Biased ref? Should have booked someone first half as Graham mentioned, a couple of other possible free kicks.

Forearm smash in the face is a clear penalty that 2nd half one. Possibly your side should have had one 2nd half yes.

I remember Stoke players going down easily first half, maybe twice and for prolonged periods which broke up play somewhat. My point about Neil is more in general though. Yeah the 2nd goal for us was a gift, however your 1st and 3rd were poorly defended by us 

The Naismith chance clawed out, Yeboah..