IGNORED

Why are we so amateur?

W-S-M Seagull

Why can't we/Bristol Sport ever seem to get much right? 

Yesterday all the card machines went down at half time. OK these things can happen but when they do happen, there should be an alternative plan of which their clearly wasn't one. I heard staff moaning that their managers phone was off so they didn't know what to do. 

I'm not saying we lost because people couldn't get a half time beer. But it doesn't help the atmosphere does it. 

I read that there were big issues with Robins TV. Although yesterday's issues seemed to be quite severe, there appears to always be problems with Robins TV. 

Downsy continues to mess up on a game by game basis now. It was very clear from early on in his employment that he wasn't up to the job and still we continue to employ him.

I'm sure he's a lovely guy but this whole culture of settling for poor performance simply because someone is a nice person just isn't good enough. 

Again I'm not sure we can blame defeats on these things, but not having high standards throughout the club/Bristol Sport is not like to breed success is it? It's just all too cosy. 

We then have the ongoing issues with the PA which is simply not good enough. 

But ultimately, whilst things can happen which are out of the clubs/Bristol Sports hands, the communication is constantly shocking. Communication is within our own hands and it's something we constantly fail at. 

It's just not good enough at all.

• Like 6

Some of it might of been Internet related. Card readers, phones, RTV would all depend on this to work properly. They certainly should have a disaster recovery/contingency plan for the technology issues.

Don't think turning Downsy off and on again would work though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Some of it might of been Internet related. Card readers, phones, RTV would all depend on this to work properly. They certainly should have a disaster recovery/contingency plan for the technology issues.

Don't think turning Downsy off and on again would work though!

Sometimes things happen. That's understandable. But it just seems that when things do happen, our reaction to it is just so tinpot. Their plan appeared to be to not have a plan which is just ridiculous. 

They like to frame Ashton Gate as a premium venue and scream from the rooftops about that but at times it's anything but premium. If something like this happened at a concert then it could be really costly and damaging for the venue.

I wish Downsys mic was WiFi controlled!

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Sometimes things happen. That's understandable. But it just seems that when things do happen, our reaction to it is just so tinpot. Their plan appeared to be to not have a plan which is just ridiculous. 

They like to frame Ashton Gate as a premium venue and scream from the rooftops about that but at times it's anything but premium. If something like this happened at a concert then it could be really costly and damaging for the venue.

I wish Downsys mic was WiFi controlled!

I work in IT myself and I've always said that when thing's go tits up it's actually a really good opportunity to show how good we really are. Thing's do happen that are random or out of your control but it's how you respond that can enhance or ruin your reputation.

• Like 5
  • Robin 1

I know the PA system has been well discussed and Bristol Sport don’t want to spend the money but why can’t we have substitutions come up on the big screen?

Other clubs, like Leicester last week do it and it works really well.

The club do plenty of good but you can add the club shop and reward scheme to things they don’t get right, oh and our inability to beat Stoke at home however bad they are.

• Like 1

If the WiFi issue happens again, don’t forget the stalls outside in the fan village are still open at HT. I wasn’t aware there had been a WiFi issue until I came on here after the match as I bought food there with no problem and with no queue. Presume they use mobiles for their card readers there. 

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Why can't we/Bristol Sport ever seem to get much right? 

Yesterday all the card machines went down at half time. OK these things can happen but when they do happen, there should be an alternative plan of which their clearly wasn't one. I heard staff moaning that their managers phone was off so they didn't know what to do. 

I'm not saying we lost because people couldn't get a half time beer. But it doesn't help the atmosphere does it. 

I read that there were big issues with Robins TV. Although yesterday's issues seemed to be quite severe, there appears to always be problems with Robins TV. 

Downsy continues to mess up on a game by game basis now. It was very clear from early on in his employment that he wasn't up to the job and still we continue to employ him.

I'm sure he's a lovely guy but this whole culture of settling for poor performance simply because someone is a nice person just isn't good enough. 

Again I'm not sure we can blame defeats on these things, but not having high standards throughout the club/Bristol Sport is not like to breed success is it? It's just all too cosy. 

We then have the ongoing issues with the PA which is simply not good enough. 

But ultimately, whilst things can happen which are out of the clubs/Bristol Sports hands, the communication is constantly shocking. Communication is within our own hands and it's something we constantly fail at. 

It's just not good enough at all.

Tinpot business unfortunately. Needs new management structure/owner to push change through. Been like it for years.

• Like 2

Can't blame the club for the problems with the tills, that would be down to the provider.

I would hazard a guess that the ask would be along the lines of '99.9% availability, with a robust failover capability', which with 24 hours in a day, the supplier could argue they have achieved.

The fact they don't have the ability to switch to a second provider could be seen as a problem, but on balance these things happen rarely and would it be reasonable to double the infrastructure costs for a problem that rarely occurs.

If they did, it would likely be a cost passed on to the consumer.

Also, it is possible that owing to speed/outage issues, a service credit is applied so it might have cost the club a minimal amount.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Takes about 10 minutes to get through the turnstiles in the South Stand at every game now. Massive queues since the West Brom match.

Yep I was going to mention this but I wasn't sure if the club can be blamed for it or if it's just fans getting used to the new system. 

I used to go in the turnstiles at 2:55 and get to my seat as the players were coming out. Now I'm missing the 1st 5 mins at least.

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Yep I was going to mention this but I wasn't sure if the club can be blamed for it or if it's just fans getting used to the new system. 

I used to go in the turnstiles at 2:55 and get to my seat as the players were coming out. Now I'm missing the 1st 5 mins at least.

Can't you get there at 2.50?

• Like 6
  • Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

And back in the 80s, I could turn up, pay in cash at the turnstile, get my change and walk on to a piss soaked terrace in seconds.

Things change and we adapt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Can't blame the club for the problems with the tills, that would be down to the provider.

I would hazard a guess that the ask would be along the lines of '99.9% availability, with a robust failover capability', which with 24 hours in a day, the supplier could argue they have achieved.

The fact they don't have the ability to switch to a second provider could be seen as a problem, but on balance these things happen rarely and would it be reasonable to double the infrastructure costs for a problem that rarely occurs.

If they did, it would likely be a cost passed on to the consumer.

Also, it is possible that owing to speed/outage issues, a service credit is applied so it might have cost the club a minimal amount.

No we can't and I don't think I was blaming them in my post. What we can blame them for tho is their reaction to it. There appeared to be no robust plan in place. Staff were unapologetic too. 

There are some things that can't be controlled. However the reaction to it can be controlled. 

• Robin 1

13 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

And back in the 80s, I could turn up, pay in cash at the turnstile, get my change and walk on to a piss soaked terrace in seconds.

Things change and we adapt.

And after that there were massive queues from what were about 4 turnstiles by the dolman all the way out to Ashton road every game!

• Like 1

Why do we cremate the pies? I saw a few people eating them yesterday including the guy in front of me and they are so overcooked they’re almost inedible.

I had one a few weeks ago, about 2.30 so not late in the day and it was so overcooked and dry. Ruined. And if anyone says it’s got to be kept at that heat for H&S reasons how come other clubs manage to serve up a decent pie?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

No we can't and I don't think I was blaming them in my post. What we can blame them for tho is their reaction to it. There appeared to be no robust plan in place. Staff were unapologetic too. 

There are some things that can't be controlled. However the reaction to it can be controlled. 

Staff don't care, they are mostly kids employed by an agency on minimum wage.

They aren't paid a commission and as long as they do the minimum of what is expected of them, they'll be back again the next game.

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I wish the tills were down.  A pasty so bad I think it was leftover from the days of Lidneys catering, two hot drinks a coke and some crisps came to £15. 

Why oh why do people continue to buy the crap served up at the stadium? 

Never ever would I buy anything in our concourses, it's simply overpriced crap

• Like 6

Just now, frenchred said:

Why oh why do people continue to buy the crap served up at the stadium? 

Never ever would I buy anything in our concourses, it's simply overpriced crap

Completely agree. I’ve said a few times on here I am staggered at how many people buy this over priced crap from the ground when there are so many better value options in the immediate local area. 

• Like 1

Queuing to get through the turnstiles, paying for dried out pies, unable to hear anything over the substandard tannoy and not able to buy a pint in the concourse at half time is all very well. Meanwhile my dodgy feed from Al-Shite.com went down and I couldn't watch the match on the laptop I bought off a bloke down the pub. 

Utter farce, this club is a joke. I have written to the chairman today to claim compensation - I strongly suggest any other loyal fans who couldn't get their dodgy feeds to work do the same.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Staff don't care, they are mostly kids employed by an agency on minimum wage.

They aren't paid a commission and as long as they do the minimum of what is expected of them, they'll be back again the next game.

At one stage we started bringing quite a bit more in-house a few years before Covid.

Has this gone into reverse somewhat? I appreciate an organisation can't bring everything in-house but outsourcing can in the long run outsource pride, loyalty etc and staff can start go through the motions a bit.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

35 minutes ago, Super said:

Have to say even the thatchers tasted really bad is it always like that?

Yes, over sweet and only to be taken if the option is Carling.

Oh, you meant at the ground and not in general :thumbsup:

On a more sensible note.
I thought the new system was working well, I don't think the queues have been any worse than with cards, and I have got through easily each game. 
The food, well. I think the pricing is high throughout the Club for pretty much everything. I tend not to worry, if I'm hungry I will buy something, I've usually not eaten since breakfast so the ground is my only choice. The Curry pies are good, and yesterday I went outside for the first time . The queues in the stadium are always huge, went outside , big queue but called to the side and served in no time. Still not cheap but decent and quick which was what was needed. I'll probably do that next time too.

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

Why do we cremate the pies? I saw a few people eating them yesterday including the guy in front of me and they are so overcooked they’re almost inedible.

I had one a few weeks ago, about 2.30 so not late in the day and it was so overcooked and dry. Ruined. And if anyone says it’s got to be kept at that heat for H&S reasons how come other clubs manage to serve up a decent pie?

Cos they're "cooked" at Ash-ton Gate and some of the catering staff look as glum as funeral directors.

Did you hear the miffed Stoke fans singing  "Dry, dry, dry . . . De -sgusting !"