IGNORED

FBC - do we want to get promoted?

Davefevs

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I suppose the equity is a donation of sorts as it means for every pound converted it won't fall on the club to repay him.

Whether he then includes said equity in full as part of the asking price well thst is another matter. It's not a donation as such no certainly.

Of course he’s gonna include it….he isn’t giving the club away is he?

He might not get £1 back for every £1 he’s put in, but that still doesn’t make a “donation of sorts” either.

I’m not having a go at you at all (or @ExiledAjax) but each and every day I get a bit more tired of SL’s ownership.  I’m sure there’s some goodwill in that £200m, but there’s also a bloke looking to make some money on all the peripheral things too, e.g. housing, sporting quarter and stuff that goes with that.  That might be offsetting some of the losses he’ll make on his asking price for the football club.

But we do need to get away from the notion he’s given (donated 🤮) Bristol City £200m.

Someone please tell me I’ve got this completely wrong?

• Like 4

No I'm sure you're right but...

It's ironic in that I think the only way SL will make big money out of Bristol City FC itself is to get promoted to the PL. They reckon Luton will make upwards of £100 million this season but most of that will go to the new ground. We would barely have to spend anything on the facilities and I don't think we could even attract £100 millions worth of players in one transfer window! How much did Forest spend last summer? 

But of course right now SL isn't allowed to bankroll the club to such an extent as to make promotion likely, even if he wanted to.

I do think it was a mistake not to allocate some of the AS money to the playing budget, if only to make staying clear of the relegation places more comfortable. The game tomorrow could be a pivotal game for this season for me, given our awful record v Leeds. Lose both and I'll be looking downwards. Only Sheff Wed look nailed on to go down so far, no penalty points incoming for any club, so could easily get dragged in to a relegation battle with such a thin and injury prone squad....

Yep I'm a glass half-empty type obviously.

Edited by fgrsimon

Ask Ipswich fans what they would currently want, pretty sure it would be a unanimous 100% answer of “yes, we want promotion”. Probably much easier to say when we are a club in our position that promotion to the prem isn’t what we want. I for one would love to see nothing more than us in the top flight, & if we were currently top i’m sure everyone would agree on that.

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Of course he’s gonna include it….he isn’t giving the club away is he?

He might not get £1 back for every £1 he’s put in, but that still doesn’t make a “donation of sorts” either.

I’m not having a go at you at all (or @ExiledAjax) but each and every day I get a bit more tired of SL’s ownership.  I’m sure there’s some goodwill in that £200m, but there’s also a bloke looking to make some money on all the peripheral things too, e.g. housing, sporting quarter and stuff that goes with that.  That might be offsetting some of the losses he’ll make on his asking price for the football club.

But we do need to get away from the notion he’s given (donated 🤮) Bristol City £200m.

Someone please tell me I’ve got this completely wrong?

The money Steve gets as and when he sells will depend on the valuation he can get agreed between himself and the Buyer. 

Assuming he sells Bristol City Holdings Limited (rather than Pula Sport or a NewCo vehicle that he slots in underneath Pula) then he's going to be negotiating a price per share for the business that is Bristol City.

He might get a valuation that mean he gets back the full value of his capitalisations, or he might not. If he doesn't, then those capitalisations will effectively have been "donations". But I concede that he is probably trying to achieve a valuation that does mean he gets his £ back!

So we can spin this so that were all correct.

• Like 2

I was of the belief that promotion to the top flight was the consensus, from the outset of SL's ownership??

Granted, a lot has changed in football and the wider world since then, and it would be challenging for us to be a lasting presence in the top flight, as things stand.

That said, it remains my sole wish to see us get there. 

Watching the parade go by is becoming more and more of a frustration.  I'm bored of hearing from Bristolians sporting the usual Premier League shirts that "City and Rovers are both crap, they'll never get into the Premier League, why waste your money, blah, blah...." - you know the thing.

" A year in the Premier League or a major domestic trophy? " usually results in a good discussion too, I've found.