IGNORED

FBC - do we want to get promoted?

Davefevs

51 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, SL wanted to sell him.

Yep, you can be resigned to selling a player, and then think - how can we work this to our advantage?

Instead, SL chose to sell him and not allow re-investment.  Nobody was saying Nige / Tins should be given all of it.  Nobody was even suggesting spending a half of it, a fifth of it.  Just one, maybe two astute signings.  SL made it more difficult.  Why?

Interesting post Dave.

I am still not convinced SL really wanted to sell Scott. NP certainly wanted him to stay. And if SL truly wants PL football at the gate. Would it not make sense to keep Scott and give NP the dollars to build a team for promotion. That plan could of given Scott the reason to stay and help keep players I am sure will be next in the selling of talent list to stay also. But that plan needs lots of money in investment. I still feel NP feels let down that SL did not do more to keep Scott and give him a chance to take us to the promised land. I also think the SL - NP relationship is falling adrift. NP feels he has done as requested, still on championship, finances better off and now wants backing. And SL at present is not showing those actions. 

Is the club close to being sold?          Is NP ready to walk or will he be pushed ?

I not sure where it's all going at present. But surely just drifting to a mid table safe season cannot not be the aim. Can it ?

Just my thoughts

COYR

Edited by Rocking Red Cyril
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, WWred said:

Life is short i'd rather experience the extreme high and lows rather than steady mediocrity!

Were you around during the 4th division days. Division two (Championship) mediocrity was a pipe dream. However a stint in the League above would be nice after many years of nothingness in the Championship.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

To continue in this way can only mean that , at some point L1 will be the destination.

Where we will be a big fish in a small pond. Always there or thereabouts for promotion, some decent cup runs with a confident winning team and some big wins over the minnows. All at a fraction of the Championship budget .
I well remember the frustration of being turned over by the likes of Stockport County, Colchester, Gillingham etc though as we were always a big day out for them. Plus the players who were just here for a salary. 
Now that frustration has upgraded to the desire to be in the Prem as we watch other clubs like Luton , Brighton and even Blackpool have their days in the sun. 
I want us to get there even if it was just for a season to get the monkey off our backs and have the belief that it is possible. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No, SL wanted to sell him.

Yep, you can be resigned to selling a player, and then think - how can we work this to our advantage?

Instead, SL chose to sell him and not allow re-investment.  Nobody was saying Nige / Tins should be given all of it.  Nobody was even suggesting spending a half of it, a fifth of it.  Just one, maybe two astute signings.  SL made it more difficult.  Why?

And Scott very much wanted to go. I believe I have posted on here before there was pretty much an agreement in place between Scott and the club that if the price was right, we wouldn’t stand in his way 

Lansdown wants out. He wants to sell the club - and the only way he will get a decent deal is to pitch it as a club that is sustainable 

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was he lying then, or at least being economical with the truth in the late April interview pre Burnley?

Setting out a negotiating stance?

Secretly resigned with a dash of wishful thinking?

Screenshot_20231001-235903_Chrome.thumb.jpg.beee9638549b93098fb19e6e1b26f17c.jpgScreenshot_20231001-235916_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e2f7b03cb4e3db41ca6e077d9c6c190a.jpg

Steve Lansdown lie or be economical with the truth? I can't have that... 'what football makes it can keep'... oh wait

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was he lying then, or at least being economical with the truth in the late April interview pre Burnley?

Setting out a negotiating stance?

Secretly resigned with a dash of wishful thinking?

Screenshot_20231001-235903_Chrome.thumb.jpg.beee9638549b93098fb19e6e1b26f17c.jpgScreenshot_20231001-235916_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e2f7b03cb4e3db41ca6e077d9c6c190a.jpg

It’s just the usual mixed messages from SL.

9 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Interesting post Dave.

I am still not convinced SL really wanted to sell Scott. NP certainly wanted him to stay. And if SL truly wants PL football at the gate. Would it not make sense to keep Scott and give NP the dollars to build a team for promotion. That plan could of given Scott the reason to stay and help keep players I am sure will be next in the selling of talent list to stay also. But that plan needs lots of money in investment. I still feel NP feels let down that SL did not do more to keep Scott and give him a chance to take us to the promised land. I also think the SL - NP relationship is falling adrift. NP feels he has done as requested, still on championship, finances better off and now wants backing. And SL at present is not showing those actions. 

Is the club close to being sold?          Is NP ready to walk or will he be pushed ?

I not sure where it's all going at present. But surely just drifting to a mid table safe season cannot not be the aim. Can it ?

Just my thoughts

COYR

All very good points, words and figures differ don’t they?

30 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

And Scott very much wanted to go. I believe I have posted on here before there was pretty much an agreement in place between Scott and the club that if the price was right, we wouldn’t stand in his way 

Lansdown wants out. He wants to sell the club - and the only way he will get a decent deal is to pitch it as a club that is sustainable 

Yep, don’t disagree on Scott. It’s all about the pulling up of the drawbridge after the sale where my frustration lies.

Yes, SL wants to sell, but he will struggle to find a buyer because he will price it (which bits he wants to sell or the whole thing) too high.  But nobody has a sustainable club at Champ level, so that doesn’t add up. The cost base is too high. The wage budget can’t really go any lower. 

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, 38MC said:

Steve Lansdown lie or be economical with the truth? I can't have that... 'what football makes it can keep'... oh wait

In fairness his full comment was and he referenced Covid in that as well.

When asked whether the fees from his potential sale will go straight back into the transfer kitty for Pearson to spend this summer, he added: "What football makes, football can spend. But it's got to make it and obviously going back to Covid, football couldn't make anything.

"There isn't a debt to be paid but we need to get the balance between the income and expenditure, all businesses need to do that."

One way to take that maybe he put in more than planned to keep us afloat during Covid. An element in cash flow terms of balancing it out over x years. Mixed messages for sure!

I don't agree with the current policy btw, I see it as penny wise pound foolish or another ridiculous swing or something like that unless it's part of a bigger picture ie fresh investment or ownership.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everybody's different, but I definitely want us to get to the Premiership - because its the next level up. What's the point in a sport where you don't want to win?

In reality, IF we ever make it, its extremely unlikely that barring a 'Ted Lasso'-esq miracle we would ever bother the Prem top 6 - our aim would be simply to stave off relegation for as long as possible. However, we simply must aim for it IMHO. Even if we get dicked every week and come straight back down, it would be Bristol City with those hated parachute payments and we would have an advantage over the other teams trying to give it another go the following season. 

With very few exceptions (ie Leicester), the top 4-6 of the Prem consists of the same teams every season, but I'm sure if you ask fans of the other Prem sides that make up the numbers in that league if they would rather be in the Championship they would probably laugh and say no of course not. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Henry said:

I think the question from Ian Gay was ‘ would you rather stay in the Championship for 5 season or have a go at promotion?

Err, I’ll have a go at at Promotion if that’s okay, Ian.

Maybe there is a word missing from that sentence which perhaps should read "....have a REAL go at promotion".  I think the view of some is that amongst the many there is a degree of contentedness about plodding on as a mid-ranking Championship side. I would suggest based on recent events that is the measure of SL's ambition  at this time

@DaveFevs - thanks for starting this thread 😀

I'm not a fan of acronyms but if I do post a link to an episode of Forever Bristol City Podcast on here I would preface it FBC Podcast!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Maybe there is a word missing from that sentence which perhaps should read "....have a REAL go at promotion".  I think the view of some is that amongst the many there is a degree of contentedness about plodding on as a mid-ranking Championship side. I would suggest based on recent events that is the measure of SL's ambition  at this time

I'm not a fan of acronyms but if I do post a link to an episode of Forever Bristol City Podcast on here I would preface it FBC Podcast!

Makes the question even more daft then!

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s just the usual mixed messages from SL.

All very good points, words and figures differ don’t they?

Yep, don’t disagree on Scott. It’s all about the pulling up of the drawbridge after the sale where my frustration lies.

Yes, SL wants to sell, but he will struggle to find a buyer because he will price it (which bits he wants to sell or the whole thing) too high.  But nobody has a sustainable club at Champ level, so that doesn’t add up. The cost base is too high. The wage budget can’t really go any lower. 

I worded it terrible - what I meant was, as sustainable as possible. You are spot on when you say there are no clubs at this level who are sustainable - but a club losing £40m a year is less appealing to a club losing say, £15-£20m 

That is the one real positive from the last two years. Where as on the pitch we may seem to be treading water - if the pitch we have made big strides around the overall cost of running the club . I’d even argue we have a better squad now than we did 3-4 years ago and will be paying a lot less for the privilege. Credit where credits due on that front 

Not sure if you have heard anything - but I was informed there had been a little interest from the U.S, but they only wanted the football side of things and not the whole of Bristol Sport 

Edited by Andy082005
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Jeez said:

Whilst it would be a fantastic moment to win promotion, I just want to see the club being a competitive force week in week out.

Sounds odd, but as we’ve haven’t troubled the playoffs since 2008 there’s not much basis that it’s going to happen anytime soon. 

Until we start seeing the consistency required for a promotion run, I wouldn’t even think about it.

When I see Sheffield Utd and Burnley losing game after game I wonder unless you have owners with very deep pockets or parachute payments still valid, if the gap has become to great to bridge.

21 minutes ago, headhunter said:

What does that mean though?

Ian used to bang on about us paying a couple of players huge money & they would make the difference.

Never once considering how that would go down in the dressing room & what if they didn’t work out.

We have paid players big wages (Kalas, Wells, Palmer!) in the past to exactly what effect?

I’m actually between both camps, we do need to give Pearson more funds but the REAL go for promotion idea is madness & after flirting with failing FFP recently, it would be far more likely to see us get a points deduction than go up.

• Like 1

I think for me it depends on when the promotion comes.

This season - no, not a chance I would want to see us go up as we don't have any Premier league quality players right now. If we're going to go up to the top flight then we need at least the spine of the team to be Premier league quality or our first season in the Premier League wouldn't be about surviving, it would be about trying not to be embarrassed. 

Luton are a good example, they didn't have many Premier League quality players, if any, when they went up and now they're one of the favourites to come back down and rightfully so. 

I think before we get promoted we need some players who can make that step up so that in the window we'd be able to add to them and potentially get at the very least a capable starting 11 at that level.

I think realistically we're far more likely to be a slow build, losing players who develop into Premier League quality players to keep us a float financially whilst we try to build up the squad to a better overall standard. 

I'd love to see us in the Premier League, but I don't see the point in getting there if we can't stay there for a season or two to build up our finances and squad strength so that if we do come back down we're in a position where we are at an advantage over a lot of teams as many teams are over us right now. 

• Like 1

Bit early to judge Burnley IMO. Their fixture list has been quite lopsided.

Both Manchester clubs at home, a rejuvenated Tottenham and Aston Villa at home too. Newcastle away.

A very winnable 2nd game at Luton postponed due to incomplete work on the ground for the latter..mind uiu Luton would surely have been targeting that one too.

VAR did them no favours vs Nottingham Forest either.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

13 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

I think covid, and the failure and cost of the lj/ ashton years has killed off any love that SL once had, and paying out the wages for some of the shite weve signed must have been pretty galling, especially given the list of clubs who have gone past us and played in the premier leqgue.

Have to agree with this, although SL did sign and pay wages to David James.

SL and I are of a similar age (I know, I don’t look that old😃), and I have to say that priorities do change as you get older.

The sporting quarter will be his legacy long after he’s gone, and people will have forgotten the tens of millions wasted by successive managers on many second rate players.

The mistakes SL has made will play on his mind, he isn’t a stupid man and has clearly now said enough is enough with the cash.

A harsh lesson to have learnt for someone who can have pretty much anything in the world that can be bought, however hindsight and respect (by some) are not for sale.

Yes, I absolutely want us to be promoted! I want to see us playing top teams with top players, week in week out. I want to watch us on Match of the Day. I want people to be talking about Bristol City. I want to be able to tell the taxi driver on holiday abroad who I support and for him to actually know something about us.

What's the point of all this otherwise if we don't want promotion? The fear of a difficult season, or what could go wrong, certainly isn't enough to put me off at least wanting to find out. Life is too short. Let's find out for ourselves. We may even establish ourselves in the top flight like Brighton, Brentford and Palace have.

I think this feeling is particularly acute for City fans of my generation. I'm 40 now; I'm not a spring chicken any more. And yet all I've known is mediocrity. Floating between the second and third tiers. It's largely been boring. We've only made the second tier play offs ONCE in my lifetime. Exciting seasons where promotion has been a realistic prospect after Christmas have been few and far between. FORTY YEARS! Surely there has to be some payback for all the averageness at some point?

Edited by ChippenhamRed
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 6

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Yes, I absolutely want us to be promoted! I want to see us playing top teams with top players, week in week out. I want to watch us on Match of the Day. I want people to be talking about Bristol City. I want to be able to tell the taxi driver on holiday abroad who I support and for him to actually know something about us.

What's the point of all this otherwise if we don't want promotion? The fear of a difficult season, or what could go wrong, certainly isn't enough to put me off at least wanting to find out. Life is too short. Let's find out for ourselves. We may even establish ourselves in the top flight like Brighton, Brentford and Palace have.

I think this feeling is particularly acute for City fans of my generation. I'm 40 now; I'm not a spring chicken any more. And yet all I've known is mediocrity. Floating between the second and third tiers. It's largely been boring. We've only made the second tier play offs ONCE in my lifetime. Exciting seasons where promotion has been a realistic prospect after Christmas have been few and far between. FORTY YEARS! Surely there has to be some payback for all the averageness at some point?

"Robin on my shirt,

Atyeo statue gleaming,

43 years of hurt,

Haven't stopped me dreaming..."

Seriously, you summed it up. We are the great under-achievers (and I speak as a man who did see the glory years in Division One). If City fans sometimes sound demanding of the club, this is why. 

• Thanks 1

Brighton, Bournemouth and Luton are all teams with a lower league history who managed to get promoted, though for Luton, it will probably be for only one season.  We are a bigger club that any of them were and had higher attendances and income, so on that basis, promotion to the Premiership is clearly possible.  However the desire and funding needs to come from the top and I'm afraid I can see no sign of either at present.

That said, SL has invested a huge amount in the club and does not have unlimited funds, so has probably come to a place called stop until an outside investor can be found and none of us know how likely this is.

But money alone does not guarantee success.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

What does that mean though?

Ian used to bang on about us paying a couple of players huge money & they would make the difference.

Never once considering how that would go down in the dressing room & what if they didn’t work out.

We have paid players big wages (Kalas, Wells, Palmer!) in the past to exactly what effect?

I’m actually between both camps, we do need to give Pearson more funds but the REAL go for promotion idea is madness & after flirting with failing FFP recently, it would be far more likely to see us get a points deduction than go up.

What it means, is that you plan player exits at a time that suits the club ( in the case of Scott that would have been next summer, not this), and you spend only in the areas you need to ( with City that is invariably at Right Back) , so you have a team that can at least hope to challenge. By making positive decisions this typically encourages others (Pearson) to stay, others to want to join, and of course us , the supporters.

Mediocrity isn’t  a lifestyle 😇

20 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

What it means, is that you plan player exits at a time that suits the club ( in the case of Scott that would have been next summer, not this), and you spend only in the areas you need to ( with City that is invariably at Right Back) , so you have a team that can at least hope to challenge. By making positive decisions this typically encourages others (Pearson) to stay, others to want to join, and of course us , the supporters.

Mediocrity isn’t  a lifestyle 😇

So would you keep Scott for another year, when he can’t play for 3 months injured, and then sell him at £12million next summer?

I would say that is mediocrity in terms of decision making. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

I worded it terrible - what I meant was, as sustainable as possible. You are spot on when you say there are no clubs at this level who are sustainable - but a club losing £40m a year is less appealing to a club losing say, £15-£20m 

That is the one real positive from the last two years. Where as on the pitch we may seem to be treading water - if the pitch we have made big strides around the overall cost of running the club . I’d even argue we have a better squad now than we did 3-4 years ago and will be paying a lot less for the privilege. Credit where credits due on that front 

Not sure if you have heard anything - but I was informed there had been a little interest from the U.S, but they only wanted the football side of things and not the whole of Bristol Sport 

But we're only a club losing say 15 - 20 mill not 40 mill (say) because we've sold our best player and not re-invested the money in players. How long will that policy "sustain" 11th to 14th in the Championship? How long will Nige stick around doing that? Maybe Steve thinks "as long as it's long enough for me to sell up/get some return" that's good enough for him.

I'd imagine though that most potential investors are bright enough to see through that sort of "sustainability." 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

So would you keep Scott for another year, when he can’t play for 3 months injured, and then sell him at £12million next summer?

His injury was unknown at that time , and part of the “gamble” for promotion, who knows he equally could have had a great season with us , and then sold for £37M. Or , with us, stayed fit?

The alternative is to always grab every deal , regardless if it is in the best interest of the club’s ambition to push forward. In other words, be a Selling Club or feeder to Bournemouth & Boscombe.

Is that what, you as a Bristol City fan want ?

5 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

14 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

His injury was unknown at that time , and part of the “gamble” for promotion, who knows he equally could have had a great season with us , and then sold for £37M. Or , with us, stayed fit?

The alternative is to always grab every deal , regardless if it is in the best interest of the club’s ambition to push forward. In other words, be a Selling Club or feeder to Bournemouth & Boscombe.

Is that what, you as a Bristol City fan want ?

He would have had 12 months left on his deal and therefore his value would decrease. His injury was known as well as he missed the first game of the season because of it. 

He would not fire us to promotion as he would be either injured or out of match fitness for almost half of the season. So I would call that more of a “pipe dream” than a “promotion gamble”.