IGNORED

What do we need for top 6

Bourne End Red

Where do we most need to strengthen  

152 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Was having this conversation with a mate and we both agreed were desperate for a strong pacey striker to be a really good side.

Someone who is a menace that defenders can’t switch off from a bit like Semenyo someone with power and pace.
I know some feel we still need a keeper, a centre mid and an upgrade on Sam bell so just thought I’d see if we all see it the same in regards to priority.
Problem being with a striker like I’ve described is they cost big money usually unless you can unearth a gem….

If I had to pick a couple positions it would be a attacking playmaker and a rb . Tanner towards the end of last season showed what a great player he can be but this season in my opinion hasn’t lived up to last season’s standard ( what sticks clearly in my mind is him getting skinned at every chance by cheltenhams slow and stocky winger pre season) .

The main thing we need for top 6 is overall consistency which admittedly the only team that looks to have any this season is Leicester. 

If I was to pick one.

I like our midfield but honestly still think we miss that craft post Scott. Think Leicester away, Scott would have run with the ball a bit, perhaps won some free kicks in dangerous areas or to give us a breather.

A fit Vyner and Atkinson would enable Naismith to move into midfield which would help to provide some. Perhaps Gardner-Hickman in the fullness of time may fill some of that void.

If I was to look across the squad as a whole, depth. By which I mean quality competition to push O'Leary, a 4th bona fide CB and that aforementioned bit of craft.

I would have said striker but Conway, Wells, Weimann and even Cornick competing centrally is fine.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Something else.

We need a clearly defined plan that is consistent across the back room, the offices, the pitch, and to which all personnel are committed. Then that plan being executed efficiently and consistently over a number of seasons.

One player is never going to be the golden ticket to promotion. 

• Like 11
  • Flames 3

1 hour ago, Bourne End Red said:

Was having this conversation with a mate and we both agreed were desperate for a strong pacey striker to be a really good side.

Someone who is a menace that defenders can’t switch off from a bit like Semenyo someone with power and pace.
I know some feel we still need a keeper, a centre mid and an upgrade on Sam bell so just thought I’d see if we all see it the same in regards to priority.
Problem being with a striker like I’ve described is they cost big money usually unless you can unearth a gem….

Missed out on whittaker at plymouth 1.8 million.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If I was to pick one.

I like our midfield but honestly still think we miss that craft post Scott. Think Leicester away, Scott would have run with the ball a bit, perhaps won some free kicks in dangerous areas or to give us a breather.

A fit Vyner and Atkinson would enable Naismith to move into midfield which would help to provide some. Perhaps Gardner-Hickman in the fullness of time may fill some of that void.

If I was to look across the squad as a whole, depth. By which I mean quality competition to push O'Leary, a 4th bona fide CB and that aforementioned bit of craft.

I would have said striker but Conway, Wells, Weimann and even Cornick competing centrally is fine.

Gardner Hickman and Naysmith could answer the midfield problem mccrorrie will cover full back a pacey attacker and goalscorer in the whittaker mould .

1 minute ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Gardner Hickman and Naysmith could answer the midfield problem mccrorrie will cover full back a pacey attacker and goalscorer in the whittaker mould .

Honestly doing that we'll see McCrorie this season but hope I'm wrong.

Yes it could, time will tell in midfield.

Sykes and Bell are contributing which is good, quite intrigued medium term by Sykes-Conway-Bell.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Honestly doing that we'll see McCrorie this season but hope I'm wrong.

Yes it could, time will tell in midfield.

Sykes and Bell are contributing which is good, quite intrigued medium term by Sykes-Conway-Bell.

Yes glad to see tommy back might be a bit more liveliar upfront now.

48 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Something else.

We need a clearly defined plan that is consistent across the back room, the offices, the pitch, and to which all personnel are committed. Then that plan being executed efficiently and consistently over a number of seasons.

Yep- the “one player” thing is simplistic dreamland.

We are a mid table side with a small squad & an owner who is unwilling to spend money from player sales, a bit like the post yesterday about “another manager” to get us into the top six, our issues are structural & systemic rather than signing this mythical one player.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Something else.

Agreed, we are more than just one player away from being a promotion chasing team. 

• Like 1

Someone up front who has some strength and can hold the ball and boss defenders rather than being pushed off the ball and then fouling the defender. I dont mean a really tall player, I mean a player that has some balls. The ball comes back from our front line far too quickly and the front line we have all have struggle to compete in this way, something different is needed.

Id also suggest we need someone who can actually make use of a dead ball be it a corner or freekick because at the moment we do nothing with these and you can generally predict that it wont beat the first man or go straight to the keeper.