IGNORED

What do we need for top 6

Bourne End Red

Where do we most need to strengthen  

152 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like to look at these things from the post of view of improving your weakest area. 
Who do I think is currently our weakest ‘regular’ starter? Tanner. 

If Tanner was upgraded then the next weakest area for me would be Attacking Midfielder. So that means bringing in an AM which would mean only 2 of Knight, James, Williams, Naismith would be able to start in CM. 

Next on my list would be a keeper. 

Then it would be both wings. 

One thing I would look ahead to, if we’re not gonna threaten the top 6 this season, if we are to go for it next season we have James, Williams, King & Weimann out of contract. So the midfield will definitely need major recruitment within the Jan 24 or Summer 24 windows. 

We need to learn how to defend when we’ve had longish periods without having to do much defending.

Against Leicester when we had a lot of defending to do but we looked pretty solid and it took a penalty to score the only goal.

At home in games we’ve had less defending to do we’ve struggled, Birmingham, Plymouth hit the post and missed a sitter and of course Saturday.

I don’t know if it’s a concentration thing or just getting dragged out of position trying to get a winning goal but I never feel easy when we have a sustained period of attack, I’m always worried a breakaway will lead to a goal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I like to look at these things from the post of view of improving your weakest area. 

If Tanner was upgraded then the next weakest area for me would be Attacking Midfielder. So that means bringing in an AM which would mean only 2 of Knight, James, Williams, Naismith would be able to start in CM. 

One thing I would look ahead to, if we’re not gonna threaten the top 6 this season, if we are to go for it next season we have James, Williams, King & Weimann out of contract. So the midfield will definitely need major recruitment within the Jan 24 or Summer 24 windows. 

I hadn’t replied to the poll, mainly because I don’t think we’ll do much if anything in January…so for me it becomes a next summer question.  And that all depends on who is under contract.  All 4 you list might not be here next summer.

11 hours ago, Winterstoke toad said:

If I had to pick a couple positions it would be a attacking playmaker and a rb . Tanner towards the end of last season showed what a great player he can be but this season in my opinion hasn’t lived up to last season’s standard ( what sticks clearly in my mind is him getting skinned at every chance by cheltenhams slow and stocky winger pre season) .

The main thing we need for top 6 is overall consistency which admittedly the only team that looks to have any this season is Leicester. 

Yeah, someone like Sammy Szmodics. Oh wait...

• Like 2

I agree with @GrahamC, we need a systemic and structural overhaul of the club.

The board and executives are puppets for Steve. And Steve for all his wealth isn't very good at communicating what his vision is for the club to the fans. So we all jump to conclusions - let's do a Brighton, Brentford, Luton, Swindon...basically any club that's similar or smaller in size to us that's been in the PL or has won promotion.

Steve swings like a pendulum. You need consistency and stability. Our current tactic is to develop young players and sell them for tens of millions to Bournemouth, while not replacing said players. How in any way is this inspiring for fans?

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

12 hours ago, Harry said:

If its true what i have read in google suggesting james on 27.500 a week wells an weinman slightly less i would let them go at end of contracts  and sign another couple of jason knights 

15 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

We would need one of those occasional seasons where at least two of the relegated clubs are in a bit of a mess and loitering in midtable or worse. 

I'd say with the Parachute system as it is playoffs is the best most clubs at the level can hope for for the foreseeable. Albeit Leeds and Southampton have started and stalled a bit.

2 hours ago, Cityboy1954 said:

If its true what i have read in google suggesting james on 27.500 a week wells an weinman slightly less i would let them go at end of contracts  and sign another couple of jason knights 

I would be amazed if, at the height of our financial problems, we offered £27,500 a week to an injury hit player

3 hours ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Those websites are often out of date, best guess, etc, etc.

FWIW James might well’ve been on that at Leicester when his contract came to an end, he was in effect a PL player (albeit his final season spent on loan), but he won’t be on that here at City.  They’ve basically not got any up to date wage data so are sticking with what they thought he might be on at Leicester.

Similar with Weimann, he might well’ve been on £20k+ bearing in mind he signed his contract in the boom time period.  But he’s since signed a new deal on allegedly half of what he was on.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Those websites are often out of date, best guess, etc, etc.

FWIW James might well’ve been on that at Leicester when his contract came to an end, he was in effect a PL player (albeit his final season spent on loan), but he won’t be on that here at City.  They’ve basically not got any up to date wage data so are sticking with what they thought he might be on at Leicester.

Similar with Weimann, he might well’ve been on £20k+ bearing in mind he signed his contract in the boom time period.  But he’s since signed a new deal on allegedly half of what he was on.

Yes fair enough Dave but why are we losing so much money each week it does take some believing though.

40 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Yes fair enough Dave but why are we losing so much money each week it does take some believing though.

The cost of running Bristol City Football Club Ltd and Ashton Gate Ltd has lots of costs besides wages.

Last accounts…the total costs (in Bristol City Holdings) was £57.664m

Income was £30.002m

We raised £1.261 in transfer profit (player sales) but incurred further costs (interest etc) of £2.127m.

In summary our losses were £28.528m!!!

The football wage bill (players, staff, support staff etc) was £23.808m (201 staff).  Ok, players will make up a decent chunk of that.

Ashton Gate wage bill was £6.683m (499 staff).

There are however £15.596m of other costs, that aren’t really broken down.

++++++++

And those other costs are too high imho.  I think “football” has done fantastically well to cut costs and retain a place in the Championship over the past two seasons.  I wish the rest of the club could be as efficient.

But you can’t keep cutting football costs / not reinvesting transfer monies without having a detrimental effect on the team on a Saturday.

I think we are at a bit of a knife edge.  If SL isn’t gonna let us invest in the playing squad because he doesn’t want to cover the losses, we are in danger of stagnation after this season.

That’s why I don’t get the timing.  It feels like completely the wrong time to decide this strategy.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The cost of running Bristol City Football Club Ltd and Ashton Gate Ltd has lots of costs besides wages.

Last accounts…the total costs (in Bristol City Holdings) was £57.664m

Income was £30.002m

We raised £1.261 in transfer profit (player sales) but incurred further costs (interest etc) of £2.127m.

In summary our losses were £28.528m!!!

The football wage bill (players, staff, support staff etc) was £23.808m (201 staff).  Ok, players will make up a decent chunk of that.

Ashton Gate wage bill was £6.683m (499 staff).

There are however £15.596m of other costs, that aren’t really broken down.

++++++++

And those other costs are too high imho.  I think “football” has done fantastically well to cut costs and retain a place in the Championship over the past two seasons.  I wish the rest of the club could be as efficient.

But you can’t keep cutting football costs / not reinvesting transfer monies without having a detrimental effect on the team on a Saturday.

I think we are at a bit of a knife edge.  If SL isn’t gonna let us invest in the playing squad because he doesn’t want to cover the losses, we are in danger of stagnation after this season.

That’s why I don’t get the timing.  It feels like completely the wrong time to decide this strategy.

Yes unless hes had an acceptable offer its all gone quiet from his part.

On 02/10/2023 at 17:47, Chivs said:

A new manager.  No idea why people like "Nige" so much.

And now five months later some posters are bemoaning the new manager and want to go back.

• Like 2

On 02/10/2023 at 06:22, Bourne End Red said:

Was having this conversation with a mate and we both agreed were desperate for a strong pacey striker to be a really good side.

Someone who is a menace that defenders can’t switch off from a bit like Semenyo someone with power and pace.
I know some feel we still need a keeper, a centre mid and an upgrade on Sam bell so just thought I’d see if we all see it the same in regards to priority.
Problem being with a striker like I’ve described is they cost big money usually unless you can unearth a gem….

Some threads age well. 

I would say a good start in league one next season!