IGNORED

TGH & Roberts

Better Red

Great result tonight. Conways first goal was top class.

First 75 mins shocking.

I thought TGH looked poor overall tonight. Against a poor side he did not show any type of upgrade on Tanner.

OK maybe not a RB but thought he lost the ball and his 1 on 1 contest to many times.

Also his chasing back looked slow and to much effort at times.

For me £1m is way to much and we should be looking else where.

Vyner would do a better job for me than either RB but has been so good in the middle.

Roberts been on a few times now and again positioning looked questionable and does not really offer going forward as I thought he would. Not someone who can put pressure on Pring.

Shame as I thought we had some options at full back but looks like it’s Pring and Tanner (unless Vyner moves across) with little pressure on each of them for a starting role.

Hopefully we won’t burn them out.

• Like 4

Roberts — he’s a CB or LB  by trade and his cameos so far have been in the left midfield. I don’t think that’s a fair yardstick to judge him by, but I’d like to see him played in his best position before forming my opinion. 

Gardner-Hickman — he was poor tonight, but I think he looks weak and is easily outmuscled. Like Roberts, too early to tell and I’d like to see him in midfield. 

• Like 1

Roberts looked very good in preseason. Feel for him that his opportunity has been extremely limited. It’ll come. 

TGH, I thought, looked quite tidy tonight. Seems like I’m quite lonely in that opinion. Obviously not a right back. Can certainly pick a pass. I’d like to see him in the middle for a full game.

On the whole, two young players with pretty difficult starts. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

It was only a few weeks ago that Roberts was being considered by some as unlucky not to be starting ahead of Pring. Got caught out for the goal tonight but he's a good player and a handy option to have.

TGH isn't a RB by trade and won't be playing there unless he has to, but has looked useful in midfield.

Him and Kingy needed to communicate better by the looks of it.

As others have said too, his passing is decent, good range.  He looks like he needs to improve his fitness, he hasn’t played much, had no run of games.

Re Roberts, he’s very good technically, suffering from lack of minutes / sharpness too.

No rush to judge either, but I think they will be / are just fine and will be good signings.

• Like 12

32 minutes ago, Better Red said:

First 75 mins shocking.

I thought TGH looked poor overall tonight. Against a poor side he did not show any type of upgrade on Tanner.

OK maybe not a RB but thought he lost the ball and his 1 on 1 contest to many times.

Vyner would do a better job for me than either RB but has been so good in the middle.

Roberts been on a few times now and again positioning looked questionable and does not really offer going forward as I thought he would. Not someone who can put pressure on Pring.

Shame as I thought we had some options at full back but looks like it’s Pring and Tanner (unless Vyner moves across) with little pressure on each of them for a starting role.

Sounds like you are writing two players off after a handful of games again. Hopefully they end up as good as Semenyo as I think you did the same with him! 

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

30 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

TGH wasn’t great but noticed his passing is very good when I’ve seen him

He did a good pass just before another good pass to King for the assist for Tommy’s second. I agree the rest of the game he seemed slow and not tight enough to his man…mind you most of the squad seemed off the pace for most of the game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Sounds like you are writing two players off after a handful of games again. Hopefully they end up as good as Semenyo as I think you did the same with him! 

Quite right, they are both players of quality, but they are being asked to fill in holes in our squad right now. Roberts showed that in one of the home games where he came on after 70 minutes and ended up playing in 3 different positions. It showed his versatility, but hardly helps him to settle. 

I think TGH has more to show us from dead ball situations too.

1 hour ago, Better Red said:

First 75 mins shocking.

Mc crorrie bought for fullback but hes gonna be out for a while .

7 hours ago, Better Red said:

First 75 mins shocking.

Do you not remember  vyner as a  rb 🤔  losing his marker most games ,no thanks he's a cb .Playing  rb he'd  be gone by now .

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Him and Kingy needed to communicate better by the looks of it.

As others have said too, his passing is decent, good range.  He looks like he needs to improve his fitness, he hasn’t played much, had no run of games.

Re Roberts, he’s very good technically, suffering from lack of minutes / sharpness too.

No rush to judge either, but I think they will be / are just fine and will be good signings.

Agree both will be good signings & wont judge either of them . It’s a big step up for roberts especially. TGH as I’ve said before isn’t a right back imo & it could well be a lack of fitness as he was getting beaten by pace easily last night. The cameo in midfield against Plymouth I thought he did well. Give the lads time , they’ll improve. 

• Like 1

I agree with the above saying that TGH is a midfielder and not a full back. Seemed to get caught out of position a number of times and does not have the outright pace to get back in position. 

His passing range, work rate and technical ability was there to see though, and I think he would shine in a midfield berth. 

If we had another fit full back I could easily have seen him in for Williams who I thought really struggled last night.

9 hours ago, Northern Red said:

It was only a few weeks ago that Roberts was being considered by some as unlucky not to be starting ahead of Pring. Got caught out for the goal tonight but he's a good player and a handy option to have.

TGH isn't a RB by trade and won't be playing there unless he has to, but has looked useful in midfield.

Well let's not forget that Roberts looked top quality in pre-season, and Pring hasn't played to the best of his ability in many games this season, so I think you can see why people add those two things together. Pring was also rubbish today so I'm not sure Roberts' performance tells us anything?

Thinking back to last night, it was a scrappy game that belonged in non league football. It reminded me of an FA Cup match where a prem team visits a L2 side and gets dragged down into a long ball battle.

It is no surprise that some players found it hard to adjust. It isn't the sort of training they would be used to, so on that basis it is probably best not to judge anyone on that game alone.

1 hour ago, Packman said:

Thought TGH looked very good in midfield against a strong Leicester team, he really gave them something to think about. 

Think he will be a good signing in the long run.

He will be better suited to the three with James and Knight. Sensational pass to King at the end, cannot wait for McCrorie to be fit, think he could be a gem! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Thinking back to last night, it was a scrappy game that belonged in non league football. It reminded me of an FA Cup match where a prem team visits a L2 side and gets dragged down into a long ball battle.

It is no surprise that some players found it hard to adjust. It isn't the sort of training they would be used to, so on that basis it is probably best not to judge anyone on that game alone.

Yeah I messaged my mate at half time that it was Vanarama.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Well let's not forget that Roberts looked top quality in pre-season, and Pring hasn't played to the best of his ability in many games this season, so I think you can see why people add those two things together. Pring was also rubbish today so I'm not sure Roberts' performance tells us anything?

I'm not saying that opinion was wrong, far from it. More that the OP is being very kneejerk, as ever.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

I'm not saying that opinion was wrong, far from it. More that the OP is being very kneejerk, as ever.

Ohhhh...

I'm definitely not making any judgements about TGH yet. I've seen flashes of good and flashes of bad which is typical of a player in his situation. Nige seems very enthusiastic about him.

• Like 1