IGNORED

Beckham

MarcusX

On 05/10/2023 at 22:26, Ciderhead433 said:

I've just watched the abuse he got over the sending-off, how did he ever put up with that 

It’s mental isn’t - I think about the people who abused him, no doubt fuelled by certain areas of our press - all fans that probably have the attitude ‘if someone hits you, hit them back’ - all loving and cheering the aggression in English football usually, taking pride in that football style that takes no prisoners, shirts off abroad, chucking chairs around French bars. But then losing their temper at an England player who loses his temper and reacts to being trampled on. 

English hypocrisy at its best. We love to sit ourselves on a pedestal don’t we.

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

Ex Swindon aint he. Course he is

Well **** me sideways I didn't realise he was part of their flirtation with the Premier League, my favourite joke back then was what's Swindon Town and John Majors underpants got in common? They're both at the bottom of the premier.  What an odd fact.

2 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Well **** me sideways I didn't realise he was part of their flirtation with the Premier League, my favourite joke back then was what's Swindon Town and John Majors underpants got in common? They're both at the bottom of the premier.  What an odd fact.

Player manager in their promotion season wasn’t he?

On 06/10/2023 at 11:09, Open End Numb Legs said:

The red card against Arg was one of the great injustices of refereeing. He got absolutely clattered from behind, could have milked it but didn't, flicked a leg which wouldn't have knocked a toddler over, that got milked, ref gets abuse by Arg and somehow feels the need to give a red. Still annoys me now and together with the hand of God goal will always be remembered, by me anyway.

Just because you get clattered from behind (and it was a free kick at best) doesn't mean you can kick a player off the ball. He knew exactly what he was doing and did it right in front of the ref. 

It's a red card.

That doesn't mean Simeone is free from blame, he obviously makes the most of it, basically gesticulating to the ref as he goes down. He admits as much in the documentary. "Football is about deceiving" he says, a common motto in South American football. He laid the trap and Beckham fell for it. 

Definitely doesn't excuse the reaction Beckham suffered. But by that point both his managers Fergie and Hoddle were out for him, along with a media campaign against him.

Was never going to be sustainable. 

6 hours ago, Club and Country said:

Skimmed through this thread

i use Beckham as an example quite often, regardless of what you think about his actual ability, he was literally hated after France 98, and the way he came back from that has to be admired, and he came back through hard work, simple as that 

fair play to the bloke 

You can find lots of players who have better ability than Beckham

but you would be very hard pushed to find a player who worked as hard on his game than Beckham

Top top pro