IGNORED

Beckham

MarcusX

One piece of poor editing meant they pretty much ruined what I consider one of the great crosses of all time. From near enough the halfway line, he hits a ball to Ronaldo that, by the time it reaches him, looks like it came from the corner flag.

https://youtu.be/khOIlQHu4MM?si=VyMF9YLRzn34sRVY

I admit to being a Beckham fan. As a crosser of a ball on the run he only ranks 2nd to Terry Paine. A great free kick taker and captain, my admiration for him rose when he was prepared to anger Ferguson by skipping training to take care of his children. Very astute guy he was well aware of his image and knew how to exploit the tabloids. And that image was amazing. Supposedly when at Real Madrid he sold more replica shirts than anyone, in a side that included Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo, Roberto Carlos, Raul and Casillas among others. Even this though was eclipsed by his adoration in south east Asia which almost took on god like proportions. The man's a success and good on him. 

• Like 4

The red card against Arg was one of the great injustices of refereeing. He got absolutely clattered from behind, could have milked it but didn't, flicked a leg which wouldn't have knocked a toddler over, that got milked, ref gets abuse by Arg and somehow feels the need to give a red. Still annoys me now and together with the hand of God goal will always be remembered, by me anyway.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

The red card against Arg was one of the great injustices of refereeing. He got absolutely clattered from behind, could have milked it but didn't, flicked a leg which wouldn't have knocked a toddler over, that got milked, ref gets abuse by Arg and somehow feels the need to give a red. Still annoys me now and together with the hand of God goal will always be remembered, by me anyway.

Incredible strength of character from Becks to go to Simeone after the Champions League and swap shirts with him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

Greece game was one of the greatest performances I have seen in an England shirt (born after 66) Played like a man possessed.up there for me with Terry butcher playing with his head wound.

Loved the free kick, but my god the commentary on this never did it any justice did it 😂

Side note: Greece WERE no mugs. I think Otto Rehhagel's first match in charge? This game was the start of their journey to win Euro 2004. They were a nasty, horrible side to play against for any good side. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Incredible strength of character from Becks to go to Simeone after the Champions League and swap shirts with him.

For me, if you take away the glam and off-field fame, he's the player that every single kid should look to as inspiration.

He trained every hour he could growing up, he didn't go out partying or drinking (early on) and absolutely loved playing for his club and country.

As you say the mental strength and character to come back from what he did, he was nearly always a model professional on the pitch.

In terms of his ability you only have to look at what his teammates have to say about him. He had Barca and Real Madrid fighting over him, he was a star, not just a passenger, in a team with the likes of Zidane, Figo, Raul, Ronaldo, Carlos etc

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

David Beckham - top, top player

David Beckham - seems (from what I’ve seen of him in interviews and stuff) a pretty decent bloke off the pitch too.

(I still think he was ill-disciplined in the Greece game)

Agree with this, he seems far more down to earth and humble than you'd expect. He just seems a decent bloke.

I was too young at the time to really watch the game with any tactical insight - remember it was at a time that he was still copping a lot of abuse from England fans and he was desperate to do well. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

Loved the free kick, but my god the commentary on this never did it any justice did it 😂

Side note: Greece WERE no mugs. I think Otto Rehhagel's first match in charge? This game was the start of their journey to win Euro 2004. They were a nasty, horrible side to play against for any good side. 

Fortunately that commentary wasn’t the original; it was actually Motson, live on BBC One. Here it is: -

Genuinely amazed by the comments here about Beckham’s performance that day. To my mind it was one of the most outstanding performances I’ve ever seen from a player in a game. He took the game by the scruff of the neck while all his colleagues were shrinking under the pressure. He didn’t ordinarily lack positional discipline, so if he did that day there must have been reasons for it. Incredibly harsh to attribute the team’s poor performance to their outstanding player on the day!

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

On another note, I’m working my way through the documentary at the moment. It’s genuinely shocking how appallingly he was treated after his red card. Thankfully as a society I do think we’ve progressed since then and I don’t think it would be anywhere near as bad today.

Are you sure about that?!

Just now, RedJim said:

Yes. Don’t get me wrong, there is an awful lot wrong with our society at the moment (I could get political but I won’t). But I do think that generally football and its supporters have evolved a bit with regard to mental health awareness. There will always be pockets of idiots, especially on social media, but broadly speaking I think we are more understanding and forgiving than we were back then.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

He didn’t ordinarily lack positional discipline,

no, he didn’t, hence why it was noticeable

so if he did that day there must have been reasons for it.

in his head maybe, but not necessarily for the benefit of the team.  At times he ran around like a headless chicken and Greece played passes around him.

Incredibly harsh to attribute the team’s poor performance to their outstanding player on the day!

I’m not doing that, I’m saying that it just diminishes the “greatness” of his performance to an extent.  I’m not saying he didn’t play well, just not as amazing as others think he did,

⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Like 1

• Admin
3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

On another note, I’m working my way through the documentary at the moment. It’s genuinely shocking how appallingly he was treated after his red card. Thankfully as a society I do think we’ve progressed since then and I don’t think it would be anywhere near as bad today.

Social media wasn't a thing in those days, so fallout was much different 

3 hours ago, RedJim said:

Exactly, just have to look at the abuse Saka got after missing his penalty for England 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Social media wasn't a thing in those days, so fallout was much different 

Exactly, just have to look at the abuse Saka got after missing his penalty for England 

I actually think that shows the opposite. Saka got appalling racist abuse from a tiny minority of online idiots. But football as a whole came out in huge support for him, Rashford and Sancho. They have never been defined by their penalty misses; they didn’t get abuse from the stands for it - quite the opposite in fact. Contrast Gareth Southgate in 1996. His name became synonymous with a missed penalty and took a lot of abuse for it.

I’m not linking to the article because I don’t want to support the newspaper, but this headline captures what I’m saying.

I do think football broadly is better about this stuff now; it’s just that social media enables awful minority views to get airtime that they wouldn’t have previously.

A4849918-C687-493D-9953-31153FF01213.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Hoddle made it a lot worse . Could’ve defended his player like most managers would and should have correctly pointed out  it was never a sending off/blamed Simeone. Instead he threw his own player under the bus- feeding the media frenzy . 

by comparison I don’t remember Rooney getting much abuse after Germany 06.

the saka etc abuse was a disgrace and was rightly called out by pretty much everyone straight away . Think some oppo fans even applauded him start of the following season.  
Maybe some things are getting better! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The chief said:

Hoddle made it a lot worse . Could’ve defended his player like most managers would and should have correctly pointed out  it was never a sending off/blamed Simeone. Instead he threw his own player under the bus- feeding the media frenzy . 

by comparison I don’t remember Rooney getting much abuse after Germany 06.

the saka etc abuse was a disgrace and was rightly called out by pretty much everyone straight away . Think some oppo fans even applauded him start of the following season.  
Maybe some things are getting better! 

Exactly. It’s definitely not as bad as it was.

Completely agree about Hoddle too. He handled it terribly. I wonder if he would do things differently today; whether his comments were a product of the era, or just him?

On 06/10/2023 at 10:21, phantom said:

Cause of - or the solution to?

Its only opinion, but Beckhams started on the flank and moved across as England were being outnumbered in midfield. The cause if you wish was England's 4-4-2 and Scholes and in particular Gerrard having an ineffectual game in the centre of the park, Gerrard pursued his customary pushed up role leaving England playing in effect one central midfielder in Scholes who got booked early, till Beckham altered his position. 

In the second half England went 4-3-3 with width, which in reality was 4-2-4 with Beckham occupying centre midfield roles. 

Finished watching this earlier in the week and really enjoyed it. It was a nice surprise to see it was essentially about him as a footballer and the history of that. Yes, there were some other bits thrown in but I had expected it to focus on Beckham the brand not Beckham the footballer and it was most definitely the latter. 

4 hours ago, Lew-T said:

I can’t imagine Hoddle is too happy about it. Doesn’t exactly put him in a good light!

It really doesn't does it. I think we have to remember it's a Netflix documentary that is produced in a certain way in order to stir all the emotions, but he did say it!  I guess the decent thing would be for the doc to ask him for his say with 25 years worth of hindsight...

Oh and no spoilers please, I'm only up to episode 3 😉

3 hours ago, ukneil said:

It really doesn't does it. I think we have to remember it's a Netflix documentary that is produced in a certain way in order to stir all the emotions, but he did say it!  I guess the decent thing would be for the doc to ask him for his say with 25 years worth of hindsight...

Oh and no spoilers please, I'm only up to episode 3 😉

Apparently they asked him to be in it and he declined.