IGNORED

Away support this season.

22A

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

The problem with doing the Ground bit by bit.

The only way I can see us doing it, is sectioning off the Dolman and it's bit of concourse. I believe they are trying to make teams give away fans pitch side tickets , or at least it was suggested. Then we get the Atyeo back and would be behind both goals ( Hi Lee 👋 ) . I don't see it happening until , or if ,the stand was refurbished .

Yeah idealism meets realism perhaps.

Behind both goals would be good..I wonder how many clubs actually abide by that new rule btw.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah idealism meets realism perhaps.

Behind both goals would be good..I wonder how many clubs actually abide by that new rule btw.

It was a while ago I read a piece on it , so I may not have it 100%, I think Newcastle were fighting against it under safety concerns . No idea if the rest go along with it. Away fans always used to get the shitty end of the stick, either with pricing or the worst part of the ground, it does seem better now. 

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As an aside, this is nothing to do with Leeds in particular I would personally speaking prefer 2k to away fans verbatim from a home advantage perspective.

Either tucked into a corner of the Atyeo or solely the Upper bit. Maybe segregation and then some home fans. Not possible in the Cup due to allocation regs there but I wouldn't mind tbis in the League, a whole end where a lot are likely to stand and sing behind a goal..it helps a lot. Especially when our Safe Standing is in a corner, abour 1,200 strong.

Fans have to be offered a pitch side sport now don't they? Unless you're Newcastle when you have a special exemption. Or is that just in the PL?

TBH home fan advantage is vastly over-rated. Sometimes it's even counter-productive if the crowd gets nervous or angry. Good teams lose more than they win regardless of crowds. Just on very odd occasions, as mentioned by someone earlier, an up swell of chanting can change momentum a bit but players mainly say they don't really hear the crowd anyway.

21 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Not saying we have sold many, if any more. But the initial tickets seemed to sell quickly and only slowed down when the restricted view tickets came up. I do wonder if they hadn't be restricted view if more would have gone. 

Just looked and the train is £140 , that and restricted view isn't much of a draw. Might have been cheaper earlier, but quite often seems well over £100 if you travel North of Brum, though TBF I think I paid £63 for Leicester.

Cross Country Trains have a monopoly on the route and never fail to be exorbitantly expensive. When we come down to you for the two of us it can cost as much to get a hotel and drive as it would to get a train and that's with a Two Together.

And to be honest if I wanted to watch my team and make the time and cash commitment having to peer around a pillar on odd occasions wouldn't stop me, but I might be unusual in that regard

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SR1 said:

Fans have to be offered a pitch side sport now don't they? Unless you're Newcastle when you have a special exemption. Or is that just in the PL?

TBH home fan advantage is vastly over-rated. Sometimes it's even counter-productive if the crowd gets nervous or angry. Good teams lose more than they win regardless of crowds. Just on very odd occasions, as mentioned by someone earlier, an up swell of chanting can change momentum a bit but players mainly say they don't really hear the crowd anyway.

I don't go away that often but off the top of my head:

Villa Park- at the side.

Millwall- Upper tier albeit behind goal. Safety reasons?

Newcastle too as you say.

Sunderland- Upper tier away fans at a side.

Leeds have home fans behind both goals but assume still pitchside for away.

Oh I think it can make an advantage. Away fans can be heard less if tucked away, if home fans at both ends..marginal gains. Tunnel behind a home end than at a relatively more sedate side stand always a bit of a preference of mind too, our tunnel is now at the Lansdown stand end of the ground.

5 minutes ago, SR1 said:

Cross Country Trains have a monopoly on the route and never fail to be exorbitantly expensive. When we come down to you for the two of us it can cost as much to get a hotel and drive as it would to get a train and that's with a Two Together.

And to be honest if I wanted to watch my team and make the time and cash commitment having to peer around a pillar on odd occasions wouldn't stop me, but I might be unusual in that regard

Plenty of things stop us lot following our team away from home, chief among them being our Bristolian can't-be-bleedin-arsed-ism. Them boys down Plymouth going away in their thousands are a disgrace to West Country indifference and not-being-arsed - they'll be there decked in green staring at yer uprights and yer stanchions in their thousands.

• Haha 3

I will caveat my last post with I would be more relaxed about the away allocation issue if there was at least 3-4k in Safe Standing in Home areas, standing fans more likely to sing and chant.

The imbalance is a concern though...Away fans as with all sides generally stand and we have just 1.2k or so in a corner. One block in the Dolman seems to have become a defacto Safe Standing (or unsafe as the case maybe) in part!

21 minutes ago, SR1 said:

Fair play, and when I was going regularly the last thing on my mind was the view. But I'm old and cranky, I don't want to spend £200 and only see part of the pitch/game now. 
Of course, new ground I want to go to or big game, then everything changes.

• Like 1

As of yesterday, there were only a limited number of restricted view seats available for tomorrow and I imagine those would have sold out now. 

I personally think our numbers have been decent so far, with the two caveats being Hull and Rotherham on a Friday and Wednesday, and both being on Sky.

The next few away games have either sold out or will sell out, too; I expect the next low turnout to be at Huddersfield, closely followed by Blackburn, in December. 

• Admin
2 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Your reputation proceeds you, to be fair most teams were only given that amount for a while but it seems to be the norm now to give 3,400

Add in the club got spooked by the Swansea support and the problems they caused so other supporters were no longer given the benefit of the doubt for larger allocations 

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't go away that often but off the top of my head:

Villa Park- at the side.

Millwall- Upper tier albeit behind goal

Villa only on the side due to being able to house a lower allocation there. 

You get behind the goal - North Stand for cup games 

We had the lower tier as well at Millwall a few weeks ago 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

Add in the club got spooked by the Swansea support and the problems they caused so other supporters were no longer given the benefit of the doubt for larger allocations 

There is one thing I am also puzzled about. The whole 3.4k..vs 4k or 4.2k capacity of Atyeo. Purely a safety issue or does it have a permanently diminished capacity these days.

4 hours ago, 2015 said:

Plymouth do have a great away support, however I think if we were not in the Championship for 13 years we would be taking bumper crowds everywhere too.

Exactly this. For example I have only 2 grounds that I haven't ever been to in the Championship this season, Leicester and Leeds. It's mostly the same old teams getting promoted or relegated. I bet Plymouth are making the most of travelling to somewhere different, but yes they have to travel a couple of hours extra from everyone else to start with so fair play to them. It's not only money but time to consider when travelling isn't it.

4 hours ago, 2015 said:

Plymouth do have a great away support, however I think if we were not in the Championship for 13 years we would be taking bumper crowds everywhere too.

True but Plymouth have taken large followings away for years no matter what division they’re in.

• Like 2

• Admin
23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There is one thing I am also puzzled about. The whole 3.4k..vs 4k or 4.2k capacity of Atyeo. Purely a safety issue or does it have a permanently diminished capacity these days.

I can only assume it's a requirement of how many stewards etc are required per number of visiting fans - there must be a cut off where it's not cost effective 

The other thing blocking off the very front and ends of the Atyeo is a deterrent to access the pitch - be in celebration or confrontation to home support 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

True but Plymouth have taken large followings away for years no matter what division they’re in.

To be fair most of them don’t live in Plymouth.

1 minute ago, phantom said:

I can only assume it's a requirement of how many stewards etc are required per number of visiting fans - there must be a cut off where it's not cost effective 

The other thing blocking off the very front and ends of the Atyeo is a deterrent to access the pitch - be in celebration or confrontation to home support 

Yes very true. Few Stoke fans spilt forward last week and yet the police suggested we keep them in. Stewards may have wanted them out I read on the Oatcake.

5 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

Best mate a leeds season ticket holder was saying a lot of clubs have cut there allocation they give leeds this year 

They have, hence the low average attendance in the graph above. We'd take 8k to 10k to away games, pending on allowance given to us.

6 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Yes incredible support by Plymouth although they haven't played many of these teams in years.

We are having some of our typical big followings early. Swansea, Leicester, Cardiff but i imagine we'll be around mid table for attendances unless we are challenging at the top consistently.

Sunderland though.....😱

Sunderland fans travel away in huge numbers...

......just for the chance of a day away from Sunderland!:shocking:

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I expect Leeds will get 3k, perhaps even as much as 3.4k at AG.

Not everyone has filled it mind you- I thought WBA would have done and maybe Stoke too given the whole free travel thing albeit offset by a not great start.

That's what we normally get at Ashton Gate when I've been there several times, Mr P.

• Thanks 1