IGNORED

Gordon Low - RIP

Sad news. A few years ago I was living in Huddersfield & went to a local pub (“The Cavalry Arms”) & discovered he was the landlord. After his surprise at finding a City fan living Oop north, he was very friendly. 

A few weeks later we had a great (I think it was league cup) cup run & won away to Bradford, despite the Bantams being in a higher league, Gordon used his contacts to get me into the players bar after the match - so I was able to chat to the players.

It was great how a former player who had retired umpteen years beforehand, was so kind to a stranger who happened to support his former club.

I’ve just been reading an Evening Post publication (author Ivan Ponting) with profiles of 100 Bristol City Greats. Gordon Lowe features, with his being described as playing in 203 games, he succeeded John Atyeo as captain after big John retired.

Gordon was an ever present in the 1964/65 Third Division promotion season and the following one when we finished fifth in the second tier.

RIP

• Like 6
  • Thanks 9

RIP Gordon, can still see him falling backwards at Tottenham and giving away a penalty, was very young but didn't think it was then or now....

Dad drove us up with an uncle of mine and all the way up they talked about "G" strength for Spurs (Greaves and Gilzean). I got fed up with this and said "so have we!!..... Gordon Parr and Gordon Low!"

Always makes me laugh looking back...

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

RIP Gordon, can still see him falling backwards at Tottenham and giving away a penalty, was very young but didn't think it was then or now....

Dad drove us up with an uncle of mine and all the way up they talked about "G" strength for Spurs (Greaves and Gilzean). I got fed up with this and said "so have we!!..... Gordon Parr and Gordon Low!"

Remember the same went with grandad and uncle cant remember whether it was Gordon or jack conner who palmed the,ball down in our penalty area to give away a spot kick ?.

Is Gordon in this photo, which is taken from the second leg, not as quoted?

Tottenham Hotspur 2 v Bristol City 0 - 1970

English League Cup Semi Final First leg match at White Hart lane. Tottenham Hotspur 2 v Bristol City 0. (Spurs win 3-1 on aggregate). Martin Chivers (9) is hugged by teammate Martin Peters after scoring Spurs first goal. December 1970 . (Photo by Mirrorpix via Getty Images)

Edited by Curr Avon

1 hour ago, Galley is our king said:

My dad took me, aged 11, to that match on a coach which got stuck in traffic on the North Circular and arrived just before ht. After the match, he bought me a sandwich in a cafe outside of the ground and, for some reason, from a street seller, a bloody huge team photo of Leeds which adorned my bedroom wall for years, even though I never liked Leeds (still don’t!). Strange the things you remember! I’ve still got the match programme. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

3 hours ago, nick jones of hereford said:

Sad news. A few years ago I was living in Huddersfield & went to a local pub (“The Cavalry Arms”) & discovered he was the landlord. After his surprise at finding a City fan living Oop north, he was very friendly. 

A few weeks later we had a great (I think it was league cup) cup run & won away to Bradford, despite the Bantams being in a higher league, Gordon used his contacts to get me into the players bar after the match - so I was able to chat to the players.

It was great how a former player who had retired umpteen years beforehand, was so kind to a stranger who happened to support his former club.

I’ve just been reading an Evening Post publication (author Ivan Ponting) with profiles of 100 Bristol City Greats. Gordon Lowe features, with his being described as playing in 203 games, he succeeded John Atyeo as captain after big John retired.

Gordon was an ever present in the 1964/65 Third Division promotion season and the following one when we finished fifth in the second tier.

RIP

This was my first season, and John Atyeo's last.

1 hour ago, cotswoldred2 said:

The dark haired player is the other Gordon ,Parr. As Gordon was a right half back it would be the 6 shirt..so not sure. Sad to hear his passing, very much in my team as a youth. Parr Connor Low...some threesome in front of Thresher and Briggs

When I first started watching (1965/66 season), the two full backs were Tony Ford and Alec Briggs, in front of Mike Gibson.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Garyred said:

RIP Gordon Low. A solid player. If I remember correctly he was a good friend of Denis Law.

He was indeed or a relative. I remember as a young lad walking into The Snug in The Kings Head on Bridgewater Rd and seeing to my surprise Denis Law sat there having a drink and a smoke with Gordon Low. It was mentioned that they were related. At that time many of the city players lived in that area.

RIP Gordon

1 hour ago, cotswoldred2 said:

The dark haired player is the other Gordon ,Parr. As Gordon was a right half back it would be the 6 shirt..so not sure. Sad to hear his passing, very much in my team as a youth. Parr Connor Low...some threesome in front of Thresher and Briggs. 

Right half was no 4 so could be GL lying on the floor. Shirt no 6 was left half.

2 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Is Gordon in this photo, which is taken from the second leg, not as quoted?

English League Cup Semi Final First leg match at White Hart lane. Tottenham Hotspur 2 v Bristol City 0. (Spurs win 3-1 on aggregate). Martin Chivers (9) is hugged by teammate Martin Peters after scoring Spurs first goal. December 1970 . (Photo by Mirrorpix via Getty Images)

Gordon Low left in 1968. He was captain of the City side that lost at White Hart Lane in 1967. 
Gordon Low was a  no nonsense defender , rolled up shorts and sleeves . He and Jack Connor were at the heart of City’s defence in the first team I watched . 
RIP Gordon . 

IMG_1919.jpeg

IMG_1918.jpeg

Edited by gavlin
  • Like 5
  • Robin 1

8 hours ago, Ciderhead433 said:

R.I.P. part of the team my first season supporting City 

7 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Mine too. A classy defender who seemed quite unflappable to my c.7 year old eyes. 

Rest peacefully, Gordon. 

7 hours ago, blockbrowt1 said:

RIP Gordon. Was one of my first players to see. 

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes that 60s style no nonsense defender par excellence, Low was one of those names that rattle through my head now and again along with, Parr, Briggs, Jacobs, Rooks, Wimshurst.

RIP.

Agree with all of these.

My early years supporting City - Gibson: Ford, Briggs; Parr, Connor, Low,......

A friend and former team mate of Denis Law.

In fact, Denis Law was best man at his wedding. They had both been born in Aberdeen and both played for Huddersfield.

RIP Gordon.

Edited by Redtucks
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, gavlin said:

Gordon Low left in 1968. He was captain of the City side that lost at White Hart Lane in 1967. 
Gordon Low was a  no nonsense defender , rolled up shorts and sleeves . He and Jack Connor were at the heart of City’s defence in the first team I watched . 
RIP Gordon . 

IMG_1919.jpeg

IMG_1918.jpeg

As did Johnny Quigley.

The FA Cup game, in which both GL and JQ played, was in 1967, whereas they had both left by the time of the 1970 match, which was the League Cup, the semifinal no less, the first of three, all of which we lost 😞.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

8 hours ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Yes, rest in peace Gordon, a good player, but for some reason always seemed ungainly to me, still a great no nonsense defender.

Yes, he had a broad beam ,but seemed to taper to the top .😎

Dennis Law's best man..some wags used to say "that's the closest he'll be to a footballer!", but I liked him a lot, I'm sure he used to play right or left half ,in old money, early doors, before they started this new fangled 4-2-4 nonsense !  When I was a young kid there was one bloke in the enclosure who wouldn't shout anything, bar "Tackle, Low, tackle ,man "             RIP Gordon, another of my schoolboy heroes gone .

2 hours ago, gavlin said:

RIP Gordon . 

IMG_1919.jpeg

IMG_1918.jpeg

Jeez, forgotten that program, that team picture was taken at Gigg Lane.

Remember JQ chatting to the ref to stop Dave Mackay from being sent off, old Scotland team mates !