IGNORED

Gordon Low - RIP

15 hours ago, gavlin said:

Gordon Low left in 1968. He was captain of the City side that lost at White Hart Lane in 1967. 
Gordon Low was a  no nonsense defender , rolled up shorts and sleeves . He and Jack Connor were at the heart of City’s defence in the first team I watched . 
RIP Gordon . 

IMG_1919.jpeg

IMG_1918.jpeg

My apologies. It was this game.

Tottenham Hotspur vs Bristol City

Goalkeeper Pat Jennings of Spurs dives to save the penalty kick from Tony Ford of Bristol City as Alan Mullery and Mike England of Spurs look on during their FA Cup Fifth round match on 11 March 1967 at the White Hart Lane stadium, London, United Kingdom. The save was disallowed as Jennings was judged to have moved and the retaken penalty kick went wide. (Photo by Central Press/Hulton Archive/Getty Images).

• Like 1

Gordon Low was an outstanding member of a great BCFC side...for whom i have very fond memories.  I remember as a kid seeing Gordon with his good friend Dennis Law in Bedminster, and getting both their autographs.  I think Gordon was Dennis Law's best man at his wedding........but cannot be sure,  cos' it was a long time ago.  Ha! ........... RIP Gordon, a great player and a nice guy.

• Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

4 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

My apologies. It was this game.

Goalkeeper Pat Jennings of Spurs dives to save the penalty kick from Tony Ford of Bristol City as Alan Mullery and Mike England of Spurs look on during their FA Cup Fifth round match on 11 March 1967 at the White Hart Lane stadium, London, United Kingdom. The save was disallowed as Jennings was judged to have moved and the retaken penalty kick went wide. (Photo by Central Press/Hulton Archive/Getty Images).

I was on the terrace behind the goal when this and the subsequent penalties were taken. I moved, with the crowd,  a few yards to the left when the first penalty was taken and a few yards to the right when the second one was taken. So, after a fair bit of movement,  I was back where I started. Packed terraces were “fun” but definitely not safe

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I was on the terrace behind the goal when this and the subsequent penalties were taken. I moved, with the crowd,  a few yards to the left when the first penalty was taken and a few yards to the right when the second one was taken. So, after a fair bit of movement,  I was back where I started. Packed terraces were “fun” but definitely not safe

I was lucky ,we were in the front row of "the Shelf" (Huge double deck terrace to your right) I had a nice white big brick wall to protect me !

11 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

A very dependable defender who I feel was underrated by many City fans. Possibly because he didn't have as much pace as others but his reading of games was superb.

RIP Gordon with our thanks

You're right. As someone else said, he could look a a bit ungainly, but that was deceptive. He was, in fact, quite a cultured player, with an accurate left foot and a very good football brain, if somewhat limited by the aforementioned lack of pace and the proverbial QE2 turning circle. He was also a good captain and leader. I recall the cohort of youth/reserve team players who were introduced into the senior side when we were struggling a bit as a club (John Giles was one whose name I remember), and I have a clear memory of him looking after the young lads, shouting instructions and encouragement. I had considerable respect for him as a footballer and recall the team of which he was a member with great affection - especially Jantzen, who was very talented and one of my favourite City players of all time.  Good memories: a very different era. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I was lucky ,we were in the front row of "the Shelf" (Huge double deck terrace to your right) I had a nice white big brick wall to protect me !

Some amazing pictures of the Shelf and the construction of the whole stand just here http://www.iansapps.co.uk/football/whl.html

I find those stadiums designs so much nicer than anything today. Oh to go back to terracing 😞

• Like 1

On 17/10/2023 at 15:50, maxjak said:

Gordon Low was an outstanding member of a great BCFC side...for whom i have very fond memories.  I remember as a kid seeing Gordon with his good friend Dennis Law in Bedminster, and getting both their autographs.  I think Gordon was Dennis Law's best man at his wedding........but cannot be sure,  cos' it was a long time ago.  Ha! ........... RIP Gordon, a great player and a nice guy.

Yes, he was best man for Denis Law.

On 16/10/2023 at 21:12, gavlin said:

Gordon Low left in 1968. He was captain of the City side that lost at White Hart Lane in 1967. 
Gordon Low was a  no nonsense defender , rolled up shorts and sleeves . He and Jack Connor were at the heart of City’s defence in the first team I watched . 
RIP Gordon . 

IMG_1919.jpeg

IMG_1918.jpeg

Spurs went in to win the cup that year…. as I think they did after beating us in the semi final of the League Cup. 

if only….

RIP Gordon

On 18/10/2023 at 11:15, CliftonCliff said:

You're right. As someone else said, he could look a a bit ungainly, but that was deceptive. He was, in fact, quite a cultured player, with an accurate left foot and a very good football brain, if somewhat limited by the aforementioned lack of pace and the proverbial QE2 turning circle. He was also a good captain and leader. I recall the cohort of youth/reserve team players who were introduced into the senior side when we were struggling a bit as a club (John Giles was one whose name I remember), and I have a clear memory of him looking after the young lads, shouting instructions and encouragement. I had considerable respect for him as a footballer and recall the team of which he was a member with great affection - especially Jantzen, who was very talented and one of my favourite City players of all time.  Good memories: a very different era. 

My recollections exactly, a cultured left foot but a distinct lack of pace which prevented him going on to higher things. Formed an interesting back line with Gordon Parr, who shall we say was somewhat more robust, and Jack Connor. Jack was a guest once at my football club's annual dinner. Didn't make a speech (which footballer did in those days), presented the awards and extremely friendly, talked to everyone and consumed copious amounts of ale!!

Also remember the guy in the enclosure with his " tackle, tackle, tackle".

• Thanks 1