IGNORED

We have a new sub forum!

REDOXO

Yeah not sure of the need for this myself. Ex player threads aren’t exactly a daily occurrence (other than for Lee Johnson) and the more sub forums there are the less the threads in the sub forums are used. By nature ex players fall into city chat and people can just ignore the subject on the main forum. The other thing is that when the ex player is recent the thread often includes observations from things still relevant to the club.

So, not really sure of the point here. Can see a lot of threads being moved for no real reason and it making the place less user friendly.

• Like 12

• Admin
23 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yeah not sure of the need for this myself. Ex player threads aren’t exactly a daily occurrence (other than for Lee Johnson) and the more sub forums there are the less the threads in the sub forums are used. By nature ex players fall into city chat and people can just ignore the subject on the main forum. The other thing is that when the ex player is recent the thread often includes observations from things still relevant to the club.

So, not really sure of the point here. Can see a lot of threads being moved for no real reason and it making the place less user friendly.

It was requested and it’s a trial, if it doesn’t work it will be removed and the threads put back in the main forum.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I agree, seems unnecessary. However if it stops the tedious "he's gone, who cares?" replies then maybe it'll be worth it.

• Admin
40 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Out of interest, what’s the success criteria?

It’s a football forum, not a complicated business or technically driven modification with huge financial implications, we haven’t actually drawn up a specification to analyse the trial, it’s more like suck it and see…….

37 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

It’s a football forum, not a complicated business or technically driven modification with huge financial implications, we haven’t actually drawn up a specification to analyse the trial, it’s more like suck it and see…….

that's what I say to the wife

• Haha 1

The issue was that every time an ex player was mentioned somebody made a comment….who cares! 

The reality is that most do.

Particularly If it is a player that the club were going to make some money on….Plus Many want to know about Peter Spiriing or Jantzen Dereck. 

If a player that wasn’t one of the FPA from the 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s or 00s 01s then there is a place to make it happen by word of mouth/the forum. 

It was a suggestion not a request, which has been taken up by the admins as most of them have been invested in the club since before many posters here were even born. And to be fair it’s a decent one. 

However if you don’t like it, have your say. It’s so much better than someone saying their free speech has been impinged upon because people disagree with them. 

Edited by REDOXO

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Ex player threads ARE a common occurrence. 

We really don’t have a lot of football sub forums do we? Have we all missed something? 

People don’t ignore former player threads particularly if they are still playing, thus you get all of the, he’s gone who cares posts. Well plenty do if there is money in it for us in sell on clauses et al. 

However if a player has played for us, those in their 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s are interested to know what has gone on! I’m on the Gerry Gow our best player in living memory twittter FB accounts etc. 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Ex player threads ARE a common occurrence. 

We really don’t have a lot of football sub forums do we? Have we all missed something? 

People don’t ignore former player threads particularly if they are still playing, thus you get all of the, he’s gone who cares posts. Well plenty do if there is money in it for us in sell on clauses et al. 

However if a player has played for us, those in their 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s are interested to know what has gone on! I’m on the Gerry Gow our best player in living memory twittter FB accounts etc. 

If you cared that much about how the forum was made up you’d have put your fiver a year in. 

Just saying.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, REDOXO said:

The issue was that every time an ex player was mentioned somebody made a comment….who cares! 

The reality is that most do.

Particularly If it is a player that the club were going to make some money on….Plus Many want to know about Peter Spiriing or Jantzen Dereck. 

If a player that wasn’t one of the FPA from the 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s or 00s 01s then there is a place to make it happen by word of mouth/the forum. 

It was a suggestion not a request, which has been taken up by the admins as most of them have been invested in the club since before many posters here were even born. And to be fair it’s a decent one. 

However if you don’t like it, have your say. It’s so much better than someone saying their free speech has been impinged upon because people disagree with them. 

What a strange comment from somebody obviously so senior. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Selred said:

Most ex player threads are named in the title, it’s not hard to ignore them and move past. 

More likely means I’ll miss threads on ex players now, which is disappointing as someone whose interested in that sort of thing. 

Poor move imo. 

I’m sure it’s just a coincidence one of the admin was saying ‘who cares’ on former player topics..

• Like 3

Is this the official state of the forum thread? 

If so, I think it’d be a lot cleaner if we had single threads for each player past and present - after every match new individual threads for players are made, every time a past player moves or does anything of note a new thread is made, surely better to keep it to one thread per player 

And for what it’s worth I disagree with having a separate forum because a select few say they only care about current players because they are so much more Bristol City than the rest of us

Edited by BarnzFM

I think more than anything it’s shown the value of engagement. Taking into consideration confirmation bias (ie people are more likely to moan than agree), if you look at this thread there aren’t people agreeing with the decision. The original post has very limited likes and the feedback is pretty much overwhelmingly negative. 

Considering all the things where sub forums have been suggested (Women’s team, Rovers, non city football etc) it’s an odd hill to die on. 

This is before you get into the judgement piece. I think the intent may have been for “memories of Liam Robinson” or “Where is John Shaw now”, but anything mentioning an ex player seems to have now been dumped there. And even that’s 11 active threads in 21 days so it’s not even causing major traffic here. By logic, if I were to start a thread on todays opposing manager it could be dumped there as with the Keith Millen thread - which is madness.

The beauty of this forum, and why it’s been so good for so long, is simplicity and ease of use. I’ve gone on other forums and they have multiple sub forums for everything and it’s a mess. That we appear to be making an unpopular decision without consultation and for no good reason that gets us nearer to that position is something I regret.

• Like 1