IGNORED

Pearson Post Match

petehinton

1 minute ago, Red Army 79 said:

If the Lanstowns really wanted Pearson gone after the Boxing Day against WBA match last season was a great opportunity to do so as a large amount of the fan base was starting to lose confidence in Pearson but they stuck with him.

maybe they just want to see how a bit more of the season pans out first say see where we are at Christmas before they look to offer him a bigger deal. 

Genuine Question: do you believe para 2? Or is it just a way of ascertaining what the knock on effect would be with the fan base before considering a (possibly) pre-determined course of action. 

I wholeheartedly accept that you may be correct in your assertions of course.....

Just now, Red Army 79 said:

If the Lanstowns really wanted Pearson gone after the Boxing Day against WBA match last season was a great opportunity to do so as a large amount of the fan base was starting to lose confidence in Pearson but they stuck with him.

He was to be sacked if we lost either of our next two games. We drew both against Millwall and Coventry. Then drew with Swansea in the FA Cup, beat Birmingham, went on a run and his job was saved. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Harry

Sorry, do I understand you right ...that you are stating NP hasn’t attended training for five weeks ?

As I said earlier, it’s something I heard. But I know lots of posters on here get ‘info’ from some players, so perhaps those in the know can confirm. 
But yes, it’s what I heard. 

If that is the case, then I can fully understand why a new contract is not currently in discussion. The rights and wrongs of whether he should get one clearly have a huge favouring towards, but I’m just saying, if you are the club, you’d surely be wise to delay. 

Nige is no fool. He knows exactly what he’s doing here. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

As I said earlier, it’s something I heard. But I know lots of posters on here get ‘info’ from some players, so perhaps those in the know can confirm. 

If that is the case, then I can fully understand why a new contract is not currently in discussion. The rights and wrongs of whether he should get one clearly have a huge favouring towards, but I’m just saying, if you are the club, you’d surely be wise to delay. 

Thanks

I may be naive here , but firstly Pearson doesn’t strike me as fishing for a new contract offer from a financial perspective, if he believes he’s unable to do the job,  , or the sort of man who if he found he was unable to continue or do a good job would walk rather than take the p , irrespective of contract

I would suggest that it’s more about ‘respect’ and recognising the work he and his team have done here.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Welcome back. I hope you enjoyed your OTIB sabbatical. We've all been having a lot of fun today.

Question - do the owners do a fan Q&A with the basketball? 

Aside - generally do you think the basketball is run well (accepting it's a different kettle of fish). It's a different set up given the head coach is also a director and it's directly owned by Bristol Sport, but is it "alright"?

I did thanks.

re Owners Q&A for Flyers - not that I’m aware of.  Fans events for sure, arranged by Commercial team, but I don’t recall SL or JL doing anything in the 7 years I’ve been watching / interested in The Flyers.  @TBW will confirm or not as the case may be.  Jon obviously attends.

Flyers is a very small operation in comparison, very much helped by a small army of volunteers.  Losses were £216k last season.  Accounts are for a small business, so very little detail beyond that.

As a fan who attended (pre-Covid) a 750 capacity converted gym it was executed very well. I can only really speak of the structure that involved a Commercial Manager (Devs), a Comms Manager (Joel) and a few other employees beside the Coach and players.  A low budget operation with a huge passion amongst the staff and helpers and a bloody loyal fan base selling out every home game for 7 years.  Their first foray into Europe this season, and 3 fans went to Pleven in Bulgaria…amazing effort really.  Flyers is a family really, sucks you into it.  I digress though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

Genuine Question: do you believe para 2? Or is it just a way of ascertaining what the knock on effect would be with the fan base before considering a (possibly) pre-determined course of action. 

I wholeheartedly accept that you may be correct in your assertions of course.....

I’m just thinking of reasons why they haven’t offered him a new contract yet. He has done everything asked of him and more.

The uncertainty is certainly now causing a problem.

Jon Lansdown need to take his own advice from the article he’s quoted on when Pearson previously signed his 3 year contract.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-appoint-pearson-on-three-year-deal/

This should have been sorted last summer. 

54 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Out of interest, name them (the “lots” of them). And why they are “rated” over Pearson or how they would improve us. Genuine question. 

Eustace, Rowett, Wilder, Lamouchi, Carvalhal, Jokanović, Parker, Karanka - all rated, can’t remember the last time so many proven championship managers were unattached at the same time. 

Edited by Gabriella
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Red Army 79 said:

I’m just thinking of reasons why they haven’t offered him a new contract yet. He has done everything asked of him and more.

The uncertainty is certainly now causing a problem.

Jon Lansdown need to take his own advice from the article he’s quoted on when Pearson previously signed his 3 year contract.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-appoint-pearson-on-three-year-deal/

This should have been sorted last summer. 

Agree. Uncertainly is the crux of the issue. Sadly the only person ITK about the exact circumstances is SL. All of the posts, while representative of fans views, is pure conjecture.  I think whether or not you (ie. Fans - rather than you specifically) love or loathe Pearson, he has been a force for good at this club over the last two years. Some will argue that we are over performing based on the squad and its performances....equally it could be argued that they have learnt to win even when playing poorly. 

I genuinely believe that all the hard fought gains (and there are many-including culture) will fall like a house of cards if Pearson goes. Let's hope that we as a club don't become the architects of our own demise. ☹️

Edited by MelksRed
  • Like 1

As much as I highly rate NP and wanted him as manager and would like him to continue, if I was running BCFC I would not be handing out a new contract with the issues around Niges heath he has just made public, that would be poor management, until more is known of the prognosis and time off or treatment required. 

• Confused 1

Season ticket holder all my adult life and been going home and away for over 35 years. If Nige is not offered a new contract and ends up leaving its will time for fans to protest against Lansdown(s) and not turn up until they leave. We are Bristol City not Bristol Sport so if you’re reading Steve and son this is one season ticket holder that will be done.   🔴⚪

• Like 8
  • Robin 2

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

re Owners Q&A for Flyers - not that I’m aware of.  Fans events for sure, arranged by Commercial team, but I don’t recall SL or JL doing anything in the 7 years I’ve been watching / interested in The Flyers.  @TBW will confirm or not as the case may be.  Jon obviously attends.

Nope. Wouldn't say fans have an interest in hearing from ownership at this point because they recognise it's a developing sport. If the arena doesn't go ahead then they may want some answers but honestly, everyone would have the same question(s) so it wouldn't be much of a Q&A. 

Not much to ask from ownership that we don't already know the answers to, or can't work out with a bit of logical thinking as it is.

I've asked JL a couple of questions myself in the past but nothing too invasive, I know I'm not going to get full details so it's more of a "how's it all coming along?" than any kind of shakedown.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I was reflecting on this the other day.

Reluctantly, we have to admit that things are going rather well for Ipswich with Mark Ashton & a progressive young coach.

Does this show that Lansdown was right all along? I actually think it illustrates the opposite - that Lansdown is the problem.

It seems that Ashton + a young manager can do well in the Championship.....just not when they're being dictated to by you, Steve.
As much criticism as Mark Ashton (rightly) received from our fanbase, it wasn't the case the Lansdown had no say in the appointments of Johnson & Holden. It wasn't the case that Lansdown had no involvement in the excessive spending. It wasn't the case that Lansdown had no say in the strange restructuring that occurred during the Ashton era.

Ashton now finds himself at a new club, and may well be on the verge of achieving back to back promotions.

How much more evidence do you need? The problem is you, Mr Lansdown.

It shows that LJ had no clue what to do with the money as McKenna is actually a good young coach not a chancer given the job because of his dad. 

Someone mentioned on another thread about planning for the January window. It could be difficult to attract players if they don’t know what the situation is with the manager.
But, more importantly I wonder whether lack of communication to Nigel / Tins, regarding whether there will be any money available for any purchases, is an additional annoyance that he is having to deal with.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Gabriella said:

Eustace, Rowett, Wilder, Lamouchi, Carvalhal, Jokanović, Parker, Karanka - all rated, can’t remember the last time so many proven championship managers were unattached at the same time. 

Only 1 of those has a Championship level record anywhere even close to Pearson’s 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

We just got 20 odd million in, and a much reduced wage bill,,, i doubt many would be surprised if some money was made available in January if a new manager was brought in!

I think the point is if we are going to do that why not do that with Pearson? why not do that with the manager doing well and proven at this level. I doubt this is a possibility though, and that's what Fans are worrying about, back the man in the job. give him a contract  - if money can be made available give it to him! And if not he has shown he can and will work with that. 

• Like 3

• Admin
31 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

We just got 20 odd million in, and a much reduced wage bill,,, i doubt many would be surprised if some money was made available in January if a new manager was brought in!

I think we'd only do that initially to win back the fans that are pissed that a fairly popular manager was forced out/allowed to leave. Long term we'd go back to our Austerity model as it's my belief that Steve is done loaning us £10m a year that will eventually have to be converted to equity. Then if we make false promises to those "cheque book managers" to get them in the door only to go back on them, we end up with another irritated manager. Parker, for example, doesn't deal with irritation well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gabriella said:

If that’s the case then I don’t think he should get a new deal, I know he isn’t hands on but he still needs to be on the training field.

If your board genuinely want him to stay, and genuinely are concerned about his health…then offer him a deal with mutually agreeable clauses.  Nige doesn’t seem to feel it’s affecting his role.  That’s why he brought in the staff he did.

Because we are in a period where we should be planning for January!

Having said that I expect the only real business to be done is making TGH’s loan permanent.

I’m hoping this will all blow over.  Doesn’t feel like it though.

• Like 4

Communication has to be in daily life, work, football Clubs. Seems odd the board dont have any communcation with staf or players. The company that i works, boss, board have communication, meetings. What going on, plans, how to make it. How affect this the team? Rumours, who is coming, Np still here and so on. To be honest is the best thing, either good news or bad. So far our team has shown real team spirit, work for each other, boddies on the line and so on. We have taken points dont played well, we are one point behind top six with a squad that has lots of injuries. Its hard work and not magic. Really hope this kind of not speaking with each other will be sorted out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TBW said:

Nope. Wouldn't say fans have an interest in hearing from ownership at this point because they recognise it's a developing sport. If the arena doesn't go ahead then they may want some answers but honestly, everyone would have the same question(s) so it wouldn't be much of a Q&A. 

Not much to ask from ownership that we don't already know the answers to, or can't work out with a bit of logical thinking as it is.

I've asked JL a couple of questions myself in the past but nothing too invasive, I know I'm not going to get full details so it's more of a "how's it all coming along?" than any kind of shakedown.

This weeks press conference will be interesting. I don’t suppose Nige will be doing it though. 

8 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

As much as I highly rate NP and wanted him as manager and would like him to continue, if I was running BCFC I would not be handing out a new contract with the issues around Niges heath he has just made public, that would be poor management, until more is known of the prognosis and time off or treatment required. 

Would you speak to him, though, and let him know your current position, which he might well accept as a fair position, or just ignore him? Totally ignoring the bloke doesn't come across as great management either.........looks like they are dithering at best, cowardly at worst.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gabriella said:

If that’s the case then I don’t think he should get a new deal, I know he isn’t hands on but he still needs to be on the training field.

Is he allowed to have his operation first or are you advocating ******* him out of it right now?

8 hours ago, Harry said:

Only 1 of those has a Championship level record anywhere even close to Pearson’s 

It was a joke list.........has to be.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If your board genuinely want him to stay, and genuinely are concerned about his health…then offer him a deal with mutually agreeable clauses.  Nige doesn’t seem to feel it’s affecting his role.  That’s why he brought in the staff he did.

Because we are in a period where we should be planning for January!

Having said that I expect the only real business to be done is making TGH’s loan permanent.

I’m hoping this will all blow over.  Doesn’t feel like it though.

Exactly, and as usual under this regime, we are faffing around instead.

9 hours ago, Harry said:

He’s been there on a Thursday doing the press so you’d assume he was at training. He mentioned about using his eye to judge if players are ready (Conway), and not just to rely on stats.

Maybe reduced attendance at work but can’t see him not coming in at all, especially as he lives in the area.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, mason said:

SL will do what he wants because he can, we dont even register on any decision he makes. The silence from our 2 main men jokers is deafening though and annoying as ***k.

I would step away from this asap, if I was NP and enjoy more time with his family,

If this situation is not dealt with properly and respectfully, whatever the decision, I think the Owner is in for a bit of a surprise on this occasion (whether he gives a toss is another matter). We always get people making hot air threats about attendance, season tickets and the like every season but they are exactly that......just hot air venting off. A complete shambles of a situation around this particular topic and I think that might make a few carry out their hot air threats tbh.

• Like 1