IGNORED

FBC POD: the joy of victory overshadowed by potential fallout from Pearson's "irritated" comment

headhunter

21 hours ago, headhunter said:

He suggested dropping him the other week as he appeared in need of a rest.

Yesterday was one of his better games for the club. 

Man of the match for the Republic rated at 7.5 were not in a position to rest our best players Dave imagine that midfield  without him but then he always knows best 😄

First dip into this FBC group via You Tube and thoroughly enjoyed it. Professional presentation with good, well-chaired, sensible debate. You need a blend of characters, including people who go off on one, otherwise it becomes bland. 

‘Well done’ to all those involved. Subscribed, and will now become a regular viewer via You Tube.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Enjoyed how Ian mentioned that @headhunter had posted on the forum regarding a 12 month rolling contract, then about half an hour later said he doesn’t read the forum. 

I'm sure it was Ian who 1st mentioned the possibility of a 12 month rolling contract on the pod, which he has since repeated on every single pod since.

So HH was simply mentioning Ians idea. 

Ian’s biggest problem is his focus only on outcome, not cause and effect, and therefore his viewpoint can only be black and white.  It rarely is in the game of football.

To talk about “lashing it up to Conway”, shows ignorance of why that happened.  It’s not through choice is it?

As the panto villain role on the pod, I have no issues, you need a good mix, Ian gives that.  But Dave @headhunter I think you need to allow the other guests to respond to Ian’s thoughts and vice-versa, rather than move onto the next question / phase of question, because some (not all) of his comments are baseless (sometimes stupid rhetoric like “like we were the under-16s”) or to create a negative soundbites.

Re Roberts, @NcnsBcfc let’s not make too much of it.  We do like to pick on one player in a 35 mins where the whole team were pretty awful…and castigate them for it.  Yes, he was poor, he got hooked, but it was hard for him to get into the game, we were short all over the pitch, it was t just him.

As for the digression into “only signing players”, how many times do people need to realise the restricted budget and the greyness of the words above.

Cornick, better than Martin, who was creating agro of some shape or form.  He wasn’t to replace Semenyo.  We allow people to create “FACTS” when they are anything but, or at least can be easily rationalised with a bit of thought, but that doesn’t suit agendas.

Injuries @Curr Avon - needs a further delve into the types of injuries, how they occur, etc.

I think Cowshed needs to do a training course on “pressing”, because it is the most poorly understood and mid-used term out there imho.

The clamour for more Academy players in the team…I think we need to trust those picking the team. Nige explained it all after the match.  It made sense, just poor execution.  Had he started a back 4 with King and Dickie at CB, imagine the furore pre-match?  He hasn’t “gone Lee Johnson” - it was a one off selection based on good reason.  It just didn’t work.

Weimann’s lost 5-yards of pace?  Based on what?  Looks very sharp to me.  Another old-scapegoat brought back out during an inept 35 min performance.

What about what happened in the second half?  Did it not happen?

Too much sensationalism in this episode’s review of the match / players imho.

Why are we still harping on about non-signings….the budget isn’t there.  It’s been explained.  It’s not through choice is it?  But used as a stick to beat the football side about.  Crazy.

+++++

Will listen to the post-match stuff next and add thoughts

+++++

Anyway Dave has invited me on for the Ipswich post-match review, so I’ll endeavour to be constructive and balanced.  You can all get your revenge (or at least your feedback) on Thursday 😉😉😉

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2
  • Flames 2

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ian’s biggest problem is his focus only on outcome, not cause and effect, and therefore his viewpoint can only be black and white.  It rarely is in the game of football.

To talk about “lashing it up to Conway”, shows ignorance of why that happened.  It’s not through choice is it?

As the panto villain role on the pod, I have no issues, you need a good mix, Ian gives that.  But Dave @headhunter I think you need to allow the other guests to respond to Ian’s thoughts and vice-versa, rather than move onto the next question / phase of question, because some (not all) of his comments are baseless (sometimes stupid rhetoric like “like we were the under-16s”) or to create a negative soundbites.

Re Roberts, @NcnsBcfc let’s not make too much of it.  We do like to pick on one player in a 35 mins where the whole team were pretty awful…and castigate them for it.  Yes, he was poor, he got hooked, but it was hard for him to get into the game, we were short all over the pitch, it was t just him.

As for the digression into “only signing players”, how many times do people need to realise the restricted budget and the greyness of the words above.

Cornick, better than Martin, who was creating agro of some shape or form.  He wasn’t to replace Semenyo.  We allow people to create “FACTS” when they are anything but, or at least can be easily rationalised with a bit of thought, but that doesn’t suit agendas.

Injuries @Curr Avon - needs a further delve into the types of injuries, how they occur, etc.

I think Cowshed needs to do a training course on “pressing”, because it is the most poorly understood and mid-used term out there imho.

The clamour for more Academy players in the team…I think we need to trust those picking the team. Nige explained it all after the match.  It made sense, just poor execution.  Had he started a back 4 with King and Dickie at CB, imagine the furore pre-match?  He hasn’t “gone Lee Johnson” - it was a one off selection based on good reason.  It just didn’t work.

Weimann’s lost 5-yards of pace?  Based on what?  Looks very sharp to me.  Another old-scapegoat brought back out during an inept 35 min performance.

What about what happened in the second half?  Did it not happen?

Too much sensationalism in this episode’s review of the match / players imho.

Why are we still harping on about non-signings….the budget isn’t there.  It’s been explained.  It’s not through choice is it?  But used as a stick to beat the football side about.  Crazy.

+++++

Will listen to the post-match stuff next and add thoughts

+++++

Anyway Dave has invited me on for the Ipswich post-match review, so I’ll endeavour to be constructive and balanced.  You can all get your revenge (or at least your feedback) on Thursday 😉😉😉

All about opinion, I don't agree with yours here but that's fine

I actually enjoy the FBC pod every episode and enjoy the differing opinions, all good for debate

Some just hear Ian and want to lambast him no matter what he says, most of the time his is quite a thought out comment, other times it's not!

Good luck on the pod

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I actually enjoy the FBC pod every episode and enjoy the differing opinions, all good for debate

Some just hear Ian and want to lambast him no matter what he says, most of the time his is quite a thought out comment, other times it's not!

Good luck on the pod

It’s his surly arrogance, manners ,  and superiority that I think puts people off him and irritates people

He can make good points but talks , and repeats , a lot of s***e too

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1

Listen to the podcast after each game lads and appreciate your analysis and opinions even if I don’t necessarily agree with all of them.

As a listener, the pod would be a lot more enjoyable if you let each other talk and don’t interrupt and shout over each other when one person is talking. It can get quite frustrating at times especially when you are only listening and not watching. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don't be rolling your eyes too much

15 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Listen to the podcast after each game lads and appreciate your analysis and opinions even if I don’t necessarily agree with all of them.

As a listener, the pod would be a lot more enjoyable if you let each other talk and don’t interrupt and shout over each other when one person is talking. It can get quite frustrating at times especially when you are only listening and not watching. 

Agreed. I'm assuming all the contributors go through some mixing desk type software and can be muted by the operator (@headhunter), but I don't really know. And it might be too much work for the host to do. Maybe Dave needs an engineer?

Listening to the post match section re Nige…and for balance:

Ian spot on re reporting lines, what are they, and what qualifications does the new bloke have as an Operating Officer, and what is his actual role.  Then again Ashton employed his relative as COO / FOO, so it could be a low bar.

This is where the club need some transparency / clarity.  But if they communicate “zero”, then you get what you get at the mo’.

It is this side of FBC which FBC excels at because the contributors are experienced, knowledgeable (from an outside football perspective, but have seen lots of similar things in their own worlds) and most definitely not having to toe a party line / no affiliation to consider, means they can “go for it”.

These are the bits of FBC that I really enjoy.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2

Finally, re NOT bringing in players better that what we have because we can’t afford them…then 1) communicate that but 2) re-evaluate expectations too.

Neither, Luton, Millwall, Preston, Coventry, Rotherham are playing Duncan Idehen, or Jamie Knight-Lebel or Raph Araoye at the heart of their defence and expecting a play off push.

So when these statements are thrown out on FBC, they need to be balanced by cause and effect coupled with reality.

I suspect our wage budget is now much closer than Millwall, Coventry and Preston, in fact it would not surprise me if all three are now bigger based on summer activity.

Thoughts???

Edited by Davefevs
Lebel not Leblanc 🤣
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Listening to the post match section re Nige…and for balance:

Ian spot on re reporting lines, what are they, and what qualifications does the new bloke have as an Operating Officer, and what is his actual role.  Then again Ashton employed his relative as COO / FOO, so it could be a low bar.

I was thinking this morning that Nige has had 3 CEOs he has worked under in his time here. And now kind of 4 whoever this new person is and whatever his role is.

That is just insane when you think about it. It's a proper shitshow, yet despite all of that, we are 1 point off the play offs after a quarter of the season.

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Good luck on the pod

I agree was stating that idehan or the other young kid could have started saturday imagine if it would have gone tits up and we lost would he still have the same view then .probably been asking where Roberts was.

Edited by Cityboy1954
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

I agree was stating that idehan or the other young kid could have started saturday imagine if it would have gone tits up and we lost would he still have the same view then .probably been asking where Roberts was.

I think it's worth remembering that Coventry play with two strikers. Chucking in an Idehan etc could have been disastrous. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think it's worth remembering that Coventry play with two strikers. Chucking in an Idehan etc could have been disastrous. 

It certainly would’ve been “sink or swim”.  He could’ve thrived, we don’t know.  He’s been playing well in u21s I’m led to believe.  But I accept the concern.  Nige referenced it himself.  Without Kal he had tough decisions make.  A combo of poor execution of the new set-up and maybe making the wrong decision in the first place (who knows).  The good thing is that after about 28 minutes he switched back to a four and we started to nullify Cov, even if we weren’t exactly flowing ourselves.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It certainly would’ve been “sink or swim”.  He could’ve thrived, we don’t know.  He’s been playing well in u21s I’m led to believe.  But I accept the concern.  Nige referenced it himself.  Without Kal he had tough decisions make.  A combo of poor execution of the new set-up and maybe making the wrong decision in the first place (who knows).  The good thing is that after about 28 minutes he switched back to a four and we started to nullify Cov, even if we weren’t exactly flowing ourselves.

We've had many managers in the past that would have refused to have changed formation out of pure stubbornness. One of Nigels best qualities is his adaptability. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

I'm not sure I agree with the continued comments that Bristol City are tenants of Ashton Gate. 

Isn't Bristol City holdings Ltd accounts, which include BCFC and AG, the ones used for FFP? 

My understanding is that Ashton Gate is effectively ran by a management company? (Bristol Sport) how the money gets moved around, is a question for someone more knowledgeable than myself. 

Our arrangement with AG is absolutely not comparable with Coventrys arrangement with the CBS owned by Mike Ashley. 

I'm not sure I agree with that guys comments that Coventry have more money available to spend. They spent 25 million, with that comes a very large wage commitment too. Is it 11 players they've signed? Simple maths says 11 players on say an average of 10k a week is a 5 million commitment each season, on top of their current wage commitments. 

In my opinion they've basically done an LJ and Mark Ashton with that money and unless they make sales further down the line, they are going to be in quite a bit of trouble simply because they've gambled on promotion. 

Also, I know for an absolute fact Mark Robins applied and was interviewed on at least one occasion. I'm almost certain it was 2 occasions which included when he was Coventry manager.

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm not sure I agree with the continued comments that Bristol City are tenants of Ashton Gate. 

Bristol City FC Limited pay rent / service charge to Ashton Gate Ltd for the use of the stadium.  Both companies as you say fall under Bristol City Holdings Ltd, a non-trading entity.  Both companies are ultimately owned by Pula (SL / ML).

You are right in its difference to Coventry where the football club and paying an entity that is not linked to them.

In defence of SL, our structure is as it is to save the football club from losing its ground should it go bust.  A lot of clubs structure like we do.  But I guess we are still at the mercy of SL.

• Like 1