IGNORED

Nigel Is In A Good Place! - Ipswich Pre-Match Interview

Curr Avon

He praises Tom Rawcliffe and infers that positive conversations have taken place this week with him and Gavin Marshall.

Plus, no change to the squad for tomorrow night's clash. And same again Saturday too, although Nahki is making progress.

For this and more take a look...

Edited by Curr Avon

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

He praises Tom Rawcliffe and infers that positive conversations have taken place this week with him and Gavin Marshall.

Plus, no change to the squad for tomorrow night's clash. And same again Saturday too, although Nahki is making progress.

Who is Tom Rawcliffe?

An internal appointment, presumably?

35 minutes ago, GeoTheCiderHead said:

Seems it - he was Finance Director: 

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-leadership-update/

He was at The Wombles before us:

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/tomrawcliffe

nice dickie bow!

I liked the way when bigging him up, Nige mentioned his football credentials, made a big point of mentioning that! Go Nige!

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

Sorry, maybe it's me but I didn't get any inference of positive conversations...... just conversations.....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Galley is our king said:

Sorry, maybe it's me but I didn't get any inference of positive conversations...... just conversations.....

I got quite the opposite. However i guess its how you view positive and to be fair it seems there were zero conversations up until Saturday as no one had a clue who was empowered to have them. Thus just someone saying eff you, your gone in May is an improvement as the future can be planned

What I took from that was that NP seems happier and I now feel much more confident he is going to be there until at least the end of the season.

My “reading between the lines” about opinions and counter-opinions is that possibly he feels he’s earned a new contract and has been told the club aren’t ready to make a decision yet, but that maybe NP feels the message now is more “you’ve not convinced us to offer you a new contract yet” rather than “we’re avoiding the conversation because you’re definitely off but we don’t want to tell you that”. Obviously that’s me guessing the inference based on his words and mood though…

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

I watched it much earlier today but from memory, the interviewer asks if talks were positive and I don't think Nige said yes??

He said he's spoken to those two chaps, and it sounded like they were separate conversations. 

He's bigging up the COO [?] which could be a ploy, and then says it could be a "baptism of fire" for the guy, so that suggests to me that difficult conversations are being had. 

Nige says its not about being aggressive, but about getting your point of view across and then says something that sounds like the board are worried about our form.

I didn't take any positives from it, but Nige looked pretty calm.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

I watched it much earlier today but from memory, the interviewer asks if talks were positive and I don't think Nige said yes??

He said he's spoken to those two chaps, and it sounded like they were separate conversations. 

He's bigging up the COO [?] which could be a ploy, and then says it could be a "baptism of fire" for the guy, so that suggests to me that difficult conversations are being had. 

Nige says its not about being aggressive, but about getting your point of view across and then says something that sounds like the board are worried about our form.

Well for me that was a relaxed calm comfortable interview where he enjoyed talking ,no hint of frustration or irritation it seemed to me  like he felt his comments at the weekend were heard and somewhat listened too by people higher-up.maybe he feels his points were taken on board but not expecting anything so feels comfortable in himself for what he said, he knows he can do no more with what is available and people higher up can't really argue that.injuries have cursed us for a few seasons and with a smaller squad and big players out what can he do.I believe a fully fit squad and off field team Nige has assembled is a top 10 squad and luck with injuries a top 6 squad. In good hands with Nige.

• Like 2

• Admin
8 hours ago, mozo said:

Then made a big thing about him being well liked but more importantly having integrity, implying others don’t necessarily?

• Flames 1

8 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

What I took from that was that NP seems happier and I now feel much more confident he is going to be there until at least the end of the season.

My “reading between the lines” about opinions and counter-opinions is that possibly he feels he’s earned a new contract and has been told the club aren’t ready to make a decision yet, but that maybe NP feels the message now is more “you’ve not convinced us to offer you a new contract yet” rather than “we’re avoiding the conversation because you’re definitely off but we don’t want to tell you that”. Obviously that’s me guessing the inference based on his words and mood though…

If I were in Nigel's considerable boots & the hierarchy were still hedging their bets,despite the obvious excellent work, I'd at the least call the bluff.

He has nothing to lose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hartleysbeard said:

It’s an update on the senior leadership team, i.e. the board. No reason to mention Pearson in that statement. 

The last line deviates from simply behind the scenes leadership though.

JL says, 'We are excited about this season and believe this is the right approach for us to be successful.'

Why not ' We are excited about this season with manager Nigel Pearson at the helm and believe this is the right approach for us to be successful.'

Or

'We are excited by this season and believe this is the right approach for us 'to make further progress under manager Nigel Pearson.'

Or even, 'We are excited about this season and believe we now have a great team in the background to help further enhance the very encouraging improvements we have seen on the pitch under Nigel Pearson.'

Something? Anything? NP is a part of the leadership after all and really not hard to include him with a supportive mention at the end.

If he's going to mention being 'excited about the season' at all - which he didn't have to - it is a very obvious omission to make no reference at all to NP.

• Like 1

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

JL says, 'We are excited about this season and believe this is the right approach for us to be successful.'

Why not ' We are excited about this season with manager Nigel Pearson at the helm and believe this is the right approach for us to be successful.'

Or

'We are excited by this season and believe this is the right approach for us 'to make further progress under manager Nigel Pearson.'

Or even, 'We are excited about this season and believe we now have a great team in the background to help further enhance the very encouraging improvements we have seen on the pitch under Nigel Pearson.'

Something? Anything? NP is a part of the leadership after all and really not hard to include him with a supportive mention at the end.

If he's going to mention being 'excited about the season' at all - which he didn't have to - it is a very obvious omission to make no reference at all to NP.

Saves going back and editing the article when they sack him 😂

17 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Or

While we're at it, why is the official site bcfc.co.uk rather than npbcfc.co.uk?  Why do we play at Ashton Gate rather Ashton Gate where Nigel Pearson works.

Or are we being a bit sensitive and looking for snubs for NP in every little thing the club does?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, red panda said:

While we're at it, why is the official site bcfc.co.uk rather than npbcfc.co.uk?  Why do we play at Ashton Gate rather Ashton Gate where Nigel Pearson works.

Or are we being a bit sensitive and looking for snubs for NP in every little thing the club does?

No…we are looking for obvious signs of disrespect to our manager.

We’ve all done the courses in work where you are asked to spot signs of non-inclusion, being left out etc.  This is just a football version.

It’s clear SL and JL are pissed off…perhaps with good reason (even if just in their eyes)…and they are using opportunities to be a bit “childish”, eg. SL praising Robins.  To give some balance, as big a fan of Nige as I am, I don’t think he’s perfect either.  He’s also resorted to a bit of “childish” comments in response.  On a pure football side of things I don’t think he’s perfect either.

But I’m on the side of Nige over our owners every day of the week, based on my interpretation of what is going on.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We’ve all done the courses in work where you are asked to spot signs of non-inclusion, being left out etc.  This is just a football version.

It’s clear SL and JL are pissed off…perhaps with good reason (even if just in their eyes)…and they are using opportunities to be a bit “childish”, eg. SL praising Robins.  To give some balance, as big a fan of Nige as I am, I don’t think he’s perfect either.  He’s also resorted to a bit of “childish” comments in response.  On a pure football side of things I don’t think he’s perfect either.

But I’m on the side of Nige over our owners every day of the week, based on my interpretation of what is going on.

Just remind me, what did you estimate the saving was to the playing budget since Nige joined?

Is it maybe a case that the conversation has been that we, the board, are happy with progress, however, we are not going to commit ourselves to entering into an extended contract until we have a clearer picture as to your long-term health prognosis?

Being realistic and putting an objective hat on things, I would love us to commit to Nige.  However, it wouldn't be financially prudent to tie us in to a 2-3 year deal if within the next 12 months Nige is forced into a long-term absence.

12 minutes ago, mozo said:

Just remind me, what did you estimate the saving was to the playing budget since Nige joined?

If I base it on continuing to spend at the rates we were spending at end of 20/21:

Wages: £30m

Amortisation: £12.3m

+++++

in 21/22:

Wages: £23.8m (saving of £6.2m predominantly playing staff)

Amortisation: £7.4m (saving of £4.9m)

Total Saving: £11.1m

+++++

in 22/23 (estimated)

Wages: £21m (saving of £9m)

Amortisation: £4.9m (saving of £7.4m)

Total Saving: £16.4m

+++++

this season (estimated)

Wages: £18m (saving of £12m)

Amortisation: £2.1m (saving of £10.2m)

Total Saving: £22.2m

+++++

So, in summary “the club” have spent £49.7m less than had we had carried on at the levels previously.  The reason I use “the club” is because it’s not Nige doing the do, but it’s Nige dealing with the consequences of those cut costs (through less players, less players of needed quality, etc).

And “the club” have also brought in transfer profit of £35m in that period.  To be balanced in years prior to Nige becoming manager, we also brought in money from selling players, but….our costs were increasing and outweighed the money brought in.

Happy to be challenged on the numbers and explanation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Really???

How come we are dissecting the wording of club statement from 20 September?????

• Like 1