IGNORED

Leicester best start

ashton_fan

41 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Relative to two other teams - Leeds and Southampton - they're doing pretty well.

Compared to the rest - they're doing about as well as expected. Marginally better maybe.

Daka £23m, Iheanacho £25m, Pereira £22m, Ndidi £17m.

Even the players some might think are their 'cheaper' players like James Justin for example who scored last night. He probably cost way more than anyone we've got.

Leeds are 3rd, Southampton (even with a fraud like Russell Martin in charge) will go 4th if they win tonight.

I would not be remotely surprised if Leeds overhaul Ipswich & finish second.

Anyone who doesn’t think parachute payments don’t distort everything is deluded.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Best side and tbh best relegated side in some time despite Parachute Payments which obviously can assist greatly.

5th, 8th, 8th, FA Cup and Charity Shield winners and a European semi final in the 3 seasons which came before relegation.

I question to an extent their FFP position to the current season. £83m plus allowables in 3 years- they lost £92.4m before tax, before allowables in 2021-22 and that season included £20m in European revenue.

Fofana and Maddison went for big money in 2022-23 but you have to subtract the remaining book value and sell on fees at the time of disposal.

Likewise Castagne, fee minus remaining book value.

(Barnes plus Schmeichel and Hirst would be pure profit).

Also got to factor in the underlying losses when looking at sales and the degree to which they may offset.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Leicester fan here.

I completely agree with the 'playing in a different league' sentiment, it's absolutely fair enough and yes, we really shouldn't have gone down but you can blame the stupid irish midget for that.

Also note the points about spend this summer, I would say however it's not the first time that amount has been spent in this division, i'd also say it's probably the best it's ever been spent given the players that have been brought in for that money. Sensible transfers that have transformed the team and made us more able to implement this new style.

Just a few retorts though if you'll indulge me...

- It's still quite impressive to implement a completley alien style of play on a set of players that have never even attempted to play this way. The manager has turned N'didi from a close to useless DM into a marauding attacking 8! We've got a right back looking like championship cancelo tucking into midfield and lets not even get started on turning vestergaard around from most hated man in Leicester to first name on the teamsheet 🤣.... he's someone whose most notable Leicester appearance last season was for our U21's in a 7-1 defeat to Fulham where he scored an own goal and was at fault for a few of the others!

- You lads aren't exactly averse to spending big cash yourselves, problem is you did it absolutely terribly (sorry...) on the likes of Kalas, Massengo, Diedhiou, Wells, Baker etc etc. So yes, we spent £8m on Coady, but you spent £9m on Kalas! 

Anyway, really pleased with your start this season, Nige working miracles given he's being given naff all to spend by your invisible chairman, really hope he gets to invest some Scott money for you in January! To be in the position you're in now with your young squad is something to celebrate for sure!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Leeds are 3rd, Southampton (even with a fraud like Russell Martin in charge) will go 4th if they win tonight.

I would not be remotely surprised if Leeds overhaul Ipswich & finish second.

Anyone who doesn’t think parachute payments don’t distort everything is deluded.

Yeah - my point was basically exactly that.

Compare Leicester to the only other teams who are in a similar boat this season... I.e. Relegated last season with years of bunse left to come in.

They're doing alright in that three team mini league.

12 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Leicester are the epitome of what can happen if you just flout all FPP rules and the gamble pays off - and then failure of relegation is rewarded with parachute payments 

I mean one of the reasons we got relegated (although a good manager would have kept us up) is because we were such sticklers for FFP and didn't spend enough last two seasons. 🤔

34 minutes ago, lcfcFan said:

I mean one of the reasons we got relegated (although a good manager would have kept us up) is because we were such sticklers for FFP and didn't spend enough last two seasons. 🤔

Then again your position to this season.

A £92.4m pre tax loss as of 2021-22 is hardly prudent in a non Covid year. That said Fofana was sold and Maddisom too, plus Castagne, Barnes, Hirst this season m so it's a mixed picture.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, lcfcFan said:

- You lads aren't exactly averse to spending big cash yourselves, problem is you did it absolutely terribly (sorry...) on the likes of Kalas, Massengo, Diedhiou, Wells, Baker etc etc. So yes, we spent £8m on Coady, but you spent £9m on Kalas! 

How very dare you! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Those are times I try to wipe from my memory!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lcfcFan said:

Leicester fan here.

I completely agree with the 'playing in a different league' sentiment, it's absolutely fair enough and yes, we really shouldn't have gone down but you can blame the stupid irish midget for that.

Also note the points about spend this summer, I would say however it's not the first time that amount has been spent in this division, i'd also say it's probably the best it's ever been spent given the players that have been brought in for that money. Sensible transfers that have transformed the team and made us more able to implement this new style.

Just a few retorts though if you'll indulge me...

- It's still quite impressive to implement a completley alien style of play on a set of players that have never even attempted to play this way. The manager has turned N'didi from a close to useless DM into a marauding attacking 8! We've got a right back looking like championship cancelo tucking into midfield and lets not even get started on turning vestergaard around from most hated man in Leicester to first name on the teamsheet 🤣.... he's someone whose most notable Leicester appearance last season was for our U21's in a 7-1 defeat to Fulham where he scored an own goal and was at fault for a few of the others!

Anyway, really pleased with your start this season, Nige working miracles given he's being given naff all to spend by your invisible chairman, really hope he gets to invest some Scott money for you in January! To be in the position you're in now with your young squad is something to celebrate for sure!

Stop saying nice things about us , you will still get chased over the park 🏃  🏃👊😂😂 only joking 

• Like 1

In fairness to our big spending, that's true.. we're still coming out the other side a bit but there was some bad luck with injuries- Baker and Kalas, and I don't think Lee Johnson was the man to get the best out of thst squad, especially the more expensive players.

Multiple clubs have Parachute Payments but you still have to use them well and tbh Leicester don't look like a typical Championship or even PL relegated side.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In fairness to our big spending, that's true.. we're still coming out the other side a bit but there was some bad luck with injuries- Baker and Kalas, and I don't think Lee Johnson was the man to get the best out of thst squad, especially the more expensive players.

Multiple clubs have Parachute Payments but you still have to use them well and tbh Leicester don't look like a typical Championship or even PL relegated side.

Man City of the championship is how I define them - deffo champions 

Just now, redkev said:

Not a bad manager aswell think we all forget that ( like arteta peps apprentice )

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, redkev said:

Not a bad manager aswell think we all forget that ( like arteta peps apprentice )

Suspect they may have stayed up last year with say Maresca in charge albeit it's a big counterfactual.

Really they shouldn't have dropped. They looked a bit weaker in some areas but not 8th and Europa Conference League semi final , Charity Shield winner to 18th and relegated.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Suspect they may have stayed up last year with say Maresca in charge albeit it's a big counterfactual.

Really they shouldn't have dropped. They looked a bit weaker in some areas but not 8th and Europa Conference League semi final , Charity Shield winner to 18th and relegated.

I'm fully on the 'we needed to get relegated' side of things.

Allowed us to ship out a lot of players who really didn't want to be here and I thik gives us a year for Enzo to implement his style across the entire club.

Difficult to see from the outside but things were so toxic, we've even been able to get rid of some coaches who have been stinking up the place for years!

Just pleased Southampton didn't manage to persuade Enzo to join them in the Prem last year!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Exactly, but that's how relegation works. You come down with a good side, you will sail straight back up. To say they are playing under different rules to the rest of us is unfair. They only spent money they generated themselves in selling Maddison.

Are you saying that "what football makes, football can spend"?  🤨

It is interesting to compare the top two teams leading the way at this stage of the season.  Leicester are a Premiership side in all but name,  they have managed to retain  most of their squad, and when some have departed, they have been replaced by expensive quality players.  They are technically superior, and eventually wear down most sides with their ability, skill and undoubted talent.  They are basically loaded with money and quality.

Tonights opponents Ipswich, are a different kettle of fish, they have recruited an excellent young coach, and have built mainly from the lower leagues, with one or two exceptions, by buying an Everton reserve striker for a bargain 1.5 mill and bringing in a couple of premiership loans.  They have in fact spent less than us on transfers, and they are with out doubt the product of excellent coaching and organisation, and they are without any debate.........  far better than the sum of their parts?  They are the type of team that Bristol City aspire to be? , a very well put together, very well coached, co-ordinated football team, built on a reasonable budget, and a complete contrast to the one side presently above them in the table.

It is a great shame that we are facing them with the bare bones of our squad, and without two or three of our most influential players, as, with a fully fit team i would be confident of us giving them a really good contest, however I have my fingers, toes and eyes crossed that we can tonight compete with them..............I am naturally pessimistic, due to supporting City for many years, and can see us losing by the odd goal  , I sincerely hope i am wrong, and our fighting spirit and tenacity can bring us a victory?   PS. Mark Ashton is an egotistical prat.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lcfcFan said:

I’m referring to your last 2 seasons in the Championship, the ones you were fined for?

• Like 1

On 24/10/2023 at 22:05, ashton_fan said:

Best start in Div 2 since Bristol City in 1905/06 when we won the league with 30 wins in 38 games .. according to Sky

The best of Bristol City, all before there was even radio coverage, or motor cars. To be a club like Ipswich, with a midweek following like that, we needed that team in the 1960s, or early 70s, as television started to show football. Leeds timed their greatest era perfectly, Liverpool pretty much too.

• Like 1