IGNORED

Mehmeti

BLRed

Is his career with us done before it’s even started?

seemingly can’t get a game, 17YO’s being selected over him. Is it that he’s not performing in training? Does he simply not suit the way we play nor fit in to the formation we play? 
genuinely would love to see him get a regular chance but is he simply another szmodics who was signed on a good deal but immediately not liked by the manager so ends up leaving quickly due to lack of opportunity?

would be a shame given he is so highly rated. Would definitely do well at other championship clubs given the chance.

He started superbly so clearly there is a talented player in there. However, he does make wrong decisions by either taking a touch too many and losing the ball or not picking the right pass. How can he go from the player we saw at Sunderland away to now as wish I knew ? That said how do you play a player back into form if you don’t play him.  His confidence must be broken as seems Pearson prefers anyone over him currently.  Currently looking like a £1m wasted & cannot see how it changes for him here as Pearson not having him.

Edited by Shuffle
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BLRed said:

Is his career with us done before it’s even started?

seemingly can’t get a game, 17YO’s being selected over him. Is it that he’s not performing in training? Does he simply not suit the way we play nor fit in to the formation we play? 
genuinely would love to see him get a regular chance but is he simply another szmodics who was signed on a good deal but immediately not liked by the manager so ends up leaving quickly due to lack of opportunity?

would be a shame given he is so highly rated. Would definitely do well at other championship clubs given the chance.

17 year old plays a different position

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeboah has looked miles off it too unfortunately. 

I agree with this, and it shows how light the squad is. At his age and experience he shouldn’t be getting as much game time but, due to injuries and NP having to work within a tight budget, there’s not much choice 

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

Must have buddy. His stats would be interesting. Lost the ball with nearly every touch?

Sure you're not getting confused with Saturday when he was abysmal. Not as bad today with a good strike at goal to boot. Agree, Mehmeti wouldn't be any worse, not as though he is lazy at closing the ball down either.

From what I saw at the beginning of the season he looked off it and his crossing was not that accurate to put it mildly. In fact pushing Roberts further up looked a better option at the time. I would hope Mehmeti has been working hard and would like to see him get some minutes but also I could understand why Nige might choose not to play him if he hasn't been seeing the improvements day to day, the fact that Yeboah who hasn't always played great is the preferred option tells it all.

Rooting for Mehmeti to come back strong at some point, hoping he has the character to keep fighting for his place despite the current setbacks.

2 hours ago, Shuffle said:

He started superbly so clearly there is a talented player in there. However, he does make wrong decisions by either taking a touch too many and losing the ball or not picking the right pass. How can he go from the player we saw at Sunderland away to now as wish I knew ? That said how do you play a player back into form if you don’t play him.  His confidence must be broken as seems Pearson prefers anyone over him currently.  Currently looking like a £1m wasted & cannot see how it changes for him here as Pearson not having him.

Agree with 99% of this.

Certainly don’t see a way back for him under Pearson but personally thought he was worth a go tonight (would have been my first sub) because Bell was having so little impact, obvious though that NP prefers Yeboah.

As for whether the money was “wasted” that all depends on what happens next, as I can see him moving on in January.

However the club I would have good money being most interested in him (QPR) might well not have the same manager by then.

Not your post but the comments elsewhere on Yeboah are OTIB at his worst, unsurprisingly for a raw 17 year old he’s had some good games & poor ones so far, so to describe him as “abysmal” & “losing the ball with every touch” is embarrassing.

• Like 2

I don’t know if he’s miles off it or not. What I do know he’s not being picked 

when I’ve seen him I’ve thought he was not that tricky and not that quick, but I know how highly he was thought of at Wycombe from a personal conversation with some associated with the club at the highest level. 

Form is temporary, but class is permanent. I’m hoping we can see some form soon. 

• Like 1

Pearson has his reasons for not picking him which is fair enough but I don’t think he deserves criticism from fans saying “he hasn’t done enough” he’s barely had a chance and as others have said could he really do any worse than some of our strikers performance recently? You just know he’s going to pull up trees when he goes to another club, wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up back with Ainsworth at QPR in January!!!!

• Like 1

He looked good initially but for whatever reason he isn’t showing Pearson enough to warrant being picked.

I think as a fanbase we have to just accept the current market we are shopping in, not every lower league/punt is going to work out.

Not saying Mehmeti is going to be another one of these as it is still early days but we have to be realistic and patient IMO.

I'd like to see him being given time playing more in the centre. He's the type of player good opposition can close down and out wide he's left with no space to express his skills.

Up front we are woefully weak and players are too far apart so we become very predictable...think with his skils where in the middle he can turn to go in to more space could see him flourish and bring more players into attacking positions..

My thinking behind NP not picking him is he has not shown strength and speed to get back and forth quick enough as necessary for the type of game we are currently playing. Hi press requires all players committed and able. Has he not been able to up his game enough in these aspects...?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, extonsred said:

I'd like to see him being given time playing more in the centre. He's the type of player good opposition can close down and out wide he's left with no space to express his skills.

Up front we are woefully weak and players are too far apart so we become very predictable...think with his skils where in the middle he can turn to go in to more space could see him flourish and bring more players into attacking positions..

My thinking behind NP not picking him is he has not shown strength and speed to get back and forth quick enough as necessary for the type of game we are currently playing. Hi press requires all players committed and able. Has he not been able to up his game enough in these aspects...?

To be honest in my many years of following City we've never been the sort of club to accommodate players like him, even Jacki only lasted about 18 months

My opinion on Mehmeti is that he came in and played as a talented individual in a team. He ran at defenders, jinked and dodged and took speculative shots. It was easy in the eye, got you out of your seat, but is ultimately out of place in a league where moving the ball, playing as a team, and engineering goals is more important than it is in League 1.

So he changed, probably through coaching, teammate pressure, and through the force of the opposition he integrated. Where he would have run or shot he now passes, stops, or looks for a player. His game became less about direct running and more about trying to read his teammates and build with them.

He's not as good at this new style. It feels like it's not how he would naturally play the game if he had his wish.

He's not quite a "luxury player", but I think he's a player who flourishes when the rest of the team is already well drilled, well coached, and well settled. Basically he's a "win more" addition to an already winning team...but he won't turn an ok team into a winning team, not at our level.

That's not to write him off at all. If we get better as a whole then there will be a place for him. He needs to be patient, keep grinding, nick the odd goal and assist when he can. Be a squad player (and with a thin squad we really need squad players) and bide his time.

• Like 3

Certainly should have come on over yeboah, who hasn’t really done anything in the minutes he has got, he’s just lucky he’s got age/academy on his side. As for Mehmeti though he’s not exactly helped himself, every time he gets on the pitch you forget he’s there but quickly remember when he gets on the ball and loses it. Wouldn’t say his career here is over, personally think he needs to go on loan in January to a team in league 1 fighting at the right end, should help him being in a positive/attacking environment where the opposition isn’t the same level as he’s currently coming up against. The talent is there, the confidence however is not. 

• Like 1

He hasn't shown me anything to warrant game time to date, yes he's direct but little to no product to show for it. 

The one thing a lot of people seem to forget or maybe ignore.  Is the work rate and attitude on and at the training ground, his demeanour in interviews on Robins TV has been a little dour, I don't think I've seen an image of him smiling,  I anticipate the lack of game time isn't going to have changed that.

For me, he's miles off the pace but hopefully he'll have a light bulb moment and something will change for him.

8 hours ago, mozo said:

Yeboah has looked miles off it too unfortunately. 

I mean when Semenyo came in and around the first team he looked Premiership class instantly..... I swear I read he couldn't trap a bag of cement, he would never score goals and basically he wasn't up to it...probably by the same posters having a pop at Yeboah.

He will be erratic, he will be a bit headless, he will try too hard at times, he won't have the composure of senior players, he may also never make it, but FFS he is 17.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mozo said:

Must have buddy. His stats would be interesting. Lost the ball with nearly every touch?

I love his enthusiasm but the constant giving away free kicks is bloody annoying he is very naive but hardly a surprise given his age. 

• Like 1

So we buy a player for roughly £1m was it? played him in a couple of games, but hit or miss, has a whole pre-season for Pearson to get him integrated in the team and the way he wants him to play and can’t?

So it’s either the recruitment of the wrong mentality player or Pearson isn’t coaching him well enough?

If that’s the case I’m not surprised SL is reticent in giving NP £20m to spend.

• Facepalm 1