IGNORED

Mehmeti

BLRed

4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Must remember a different player to me.

Debut would have been around 2017, soon followed up with a red card. And about 2 seasons later he scored his first goal.

Like Yeboah, he was raw with loads to learn. 

In no way would I describe him as instantly Premier League material.

My worry at the moment is that Yeboah isn't having a positive impact on games when he comes on, and whilst we are short of attacking players he is one of the few options, I don't want to see a young player get destroyed because they aren't currently up to the task, but in 18 months could possibly be outstanding.

I may be wrong, but I think you will find that @TheReds’ description of Semenyo’s early days was sarcastic, and was used simply to demonstrate that, just as we hope will be the case with Yeboah, he grew from a young, naive, inexperienced and somewhat ungainly ugly duckling in to swan.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

Mehmeti needs a good run in the team, he reminds me of a Ryan Kent type player who can turn things on when you need a goal.

I did observe against WBA in the warm up that he didn't look happy and had a bit of a grump when he had to go in the middle. Wonder if it is attitude holding him back.

• Like 1

Debut would have been around 2017, soon followed up with a red card. And about 2 seasons later he scored his first goal.

My worry at the moment is that Yeboah isn't having a positive impact on games when he comes on, and whilst we are short of attacking players he is one of the few options, I don't want to see a young player get destroyed because they aren't currently up to the task, but in 18 months could possibly be outstanding.

2018 debut, final game of the 2017-18. Just checked.

First properish go 2018-19, red card v Derby.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I can only assume you missed my attempted sarcasm. The point is plenty said he would never make it due to everything I described, but given time he did. Will Yeboah be the next Semenyo, probably doubtful but nobody knows that yet.

Yeboah needs to be given some time, and he still may not make it, but if management thinks he can make it with us then my faith would be with them rather than a few on here who has wrote him off.

He did play a 1/4 of the game against Leeds. He'll get more chances, but he's got to find a way to have more of an impact when he does. I agree a run of games may help, but we can't necessarily give him that if he isn't having an impact - particularly NP can't if for some reason the rumors about his position being under pressure are true. 

• Flames 1

From what I've seen it looked like Mehmeti was a skillful jinky player capable of beating his man and getting a shot off but it turned into that's all he was, a one trick pony who wants to come inside and shoot. That soon got spotted and dealt with by championship managers and defenders. When he's played this season nothings changed and he's easy to deal with at this level. He looked like his confidence had gone. He needs to learn some other tricks or options or he'll be nothing more than an side note in our history. Given our injury list and squad size it must be concerning to him that he can't get any playing time.

• Like 1

Well he’s coming out fighting with a picture of himself in a City shirt on insta saying “hungrier than ever” …… if I wasn’t such an old bastard with limited technical knowledge, I’d post it.   Good to see that response 

image.thumb.png.11cdebf98b2257ea328e7f37bd10dab4.png

Edited by Shuffle
  • Like 5
  • Robin 1

Currently Yeboah has the physicality, speed and commitment, but doesn't seem to have the ball control or decision making to go with it. Hopefully he'll acquire the decision making with experience, but I'm not sure about the ball control. At the moment he seems to suffer from what was called 'clumsy baby syndrome' when my kids were very young!

• Like 1

It’s now or never for these bit players after all if you cannot demand a shirt when club has 11 or more injured then there’s something wrong with either you attitude or you ain’t good enough , so pull your socks up battle for that shirt and show us what you got for 90 minutes plus 

Edited by Topper 123
Spelling

15 hours ago, Shuffle said:

He started superbly so clearly there is a talented player in there. However, he does make wrong decisions by either taking a touch too many and losing the ball or not picking the right pass. How can he go from the player we saw at Sunderland away to now as wish I knew ? That said how do you play a player back into form if you don’t play him.  His confidence must be broken as seems Pearson prefers anyone over him currently.  Currently looking like a £1m wasted & cannot see how it changes for him here as Pearson not having him.

He is just too predictable. He always has to come inside onto his right foot and all defenders know that

• Like 2

8 hours ago, grifty said:

So SL 'went for it' with LJ and MA because he believed in the fairytale of ex manager son/ex player taking the club to the Premier League. Nothing wrong with that. It didn't work out, we spent far too much money on players and also on players we didn't need + COVID kicking in meant we caught caught out and had to cut our cloth accordingly with a number of years of free signings and Pearson doing a great job with developing young players.

We sell the best of them for £25m 2 weeks (?) before the end of the transfer window. The consensus on here is that SL should have allowed the majority of that money to be spent in those 2 weeks, seemingly disregarding buying the right players for the club who may not have been available in those 2 weeks.

I see it more that we are going to be wiser with the money, get the right players in when they are available. It's an injury crisis that is screwing us at the moment, not a lack of investment since Scott left. Your last sentence is my point. He's made the mistake of backing the wrong horse before, he doesn't want to do it again without the safety net of selling a Scott to bail us out of financial trouble.

I don’t think that was the consensus at all.  I think most on here thought we might get a couple of players in of the same type of profile as the summer signings.  Maybe £2-3m total outlay plus wages.  But it appears that there was no wage budget spare. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 5
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

The biggest problem Mehmeti had is he's your tippical lower league players hes got one trick and that's good enough in league 2 to make you look a player, in the championship that's found out very quickly and stopped by better quality defence, 

i was hoping that a summer of coaching would see him improve but it's just not happened from what little I have seen of him this season, not really sure he will make it at this level , I hope he gets the chance to prove me wrong thought

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, winsaw said:

The biggest problem Mehmeti had is he's your tippical lower league players hes got one trick and that's good enough in league 2 to make you look a player, in the championship that's found out very quickly and stopped by better quality defence, 

i was hoping that a summer of coaching would see him improve but it's just not happened from what little I have seen of him this season, not really sure he will make it at this level , I hope he gets the chance to prove me wrong thought

Got to say it's a little unfair to label Mehmeti as a one trick pony when he has had little opportunity to prove otherwise, unless you have been down to the HPL watching him?   SO much, as i am sure you know, is about confidence with even the best players.......and his confidence must be at a very low ebb.  He needs the coaches and manager to support him, bring his confidence back, and give him a chance? .   As for one trick players?, it never stopped O'Dowda making 160 appearances for us....Ha!!

15 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Agree with 99% of this.

Certainly don’t see a way back for him under Pearson but personally thought he was worth a go tonight (would have been my first sub) because Bell was having so little impact, obvious though that NP prefers Yeboah.

As for whether the money was “wasted” that all depends on what happens next, as I can see him moving on in January.

However the club I would have good money being most interested in him (QPR) might well not have the same manager by then.

Not your post but the comments elsewhere on Yeboah are OTIB at his worst, unsurprisingly for a raw 17 year old he’s had some good games & poor ones so far, so to describe him as “abysmal” & “losing the ball with every touch” is embarrassing.

I disagree about no way back. Both Pring and Atkinson have suffered the Nige treatment, sorted themselves out and now Pring in particular is an automatic choice. Nige does tend to hand out a second chance…….when he things you’ve done what is required to merit it and based on the two lads above he seems to be a decent judge.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I disagree about no way back. Both Pring and Atkinson have suffered the Nige treatment, sorted themselves out and now Pring in particular is an automatic choice. Nige does tend to hand out a second chance…….when he things you’ve done what is required to merit it and based on the two lads above he seems to be a decent judge.

And both subsequently signed new contracts...

• Like 2

I like the lad and see a player with a fair bit of talent and able to do something different which makes him stand out from what we’ve already got . It is early days still and while he might not be in the plan at the moment I think our manager has shown if you train hard and show the right attitude you will get s chance . 
As for Tony’s boy it’s quite a story of how he’s got to where he is today , seems like he has the drive and determination which the gaffa loves . He is raw but the more he’s in and around it the more chance he’ll get a start, full of energy and endeavour 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, winsaw said:

This is not true - he played 29 times in the Championship for WW - admittedly in a poor side but he has demonstrated he’s much more than a league 2 (or 1) show pony!

4 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Currently Yeboah has the physicality, speed and commitment, but doesn't seem to have the ball control or decision making to go with it. Hopefully he'll acquire the decision making with experience, but I'm not sure about the ball control. At the moment he seems to suffer from what was called 'clumsy baby syndrome' when my kids were very young!

Decision making meant several times James and Knight ignored Yeboah when he was in space, but instead punted 50/50 balls at Cornick or Sykes in a congested right side of the pitch. Roberts was similarly ignored once.

Whether it's that they don't trust them, or just have poor left-sided vision, it was a waste. Ephraim will get a goal, then all the rubbishing that he gets will fade away. at present, half the time in order to play the ball forward, he has to go and nick it from an opponent himself. 

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Decision making meant several times James and Knight ignored Yeboah when he was in space, but instead punted 50/50 balls at Cornick or Sykes in a congested right side of the pitch. Roberts was similarly ignored once.

Whether it's that they don't trust them, or just have poor left-sided vision, it was a waste. Ephraim will get a goal, then all the rubbishing that he gets will fade away. at present, half the time in order to play the ball forward, he has to go and nick it from an opponent himself. 

I don't rubbish him.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheReds said:

I can only assume you missed my attempted sarcasm. The point is plenty said he would never make it due to everything I described, but given time he did. Will Yeboah be the next Semenyo, probably doubtful but nobody knows that yet.

Yeboah needs to be given some time, and he still may not make it, but if management thinks he can make it with us then my faith would be with them rather than a few on here who has wrote him off.

That last line sounds like an Ernie Wise play.

• Haha 1

Think Anis was slightly reactionary to the semenyo sale, especially with the timing of PA coming in from Wycombe. 

Still I believe there is a decent player in there who will get opportunities, but when he doesn’t have the pace of bell/Yeboah on the counter it suggests he would be better suited to staying wide and crossing instead of cutting inside. (Also means he isn’t as effective defensively/pressing) 

In his last 2 appearances he’s made 10 cross attempts and only 1 connected with a city player. The biggest flaw in his game imo. 

Will take time and there’s obvious quality there, iirc he was given a 4 year contract so there’s obvious faith in him from the footballing staff. By the end of the season he could be a totally different player 🤷‍♂️.

• Like 1