IGNORED

Observation on our play...

spudski

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I ran some updates over lunch:

IMG_8891.thumb.jpeg.13681fa8c79507175826a6b1bc01e6fe.jpeg

Just to explain the charts:

every field that starts PR is a percentile rank, ie where in the ranking of their peers (Champ Wide and Attacking Midfielders - all 203 of them) do they fit.  The longer / darker the bar the better / more they do.  Near the red line means they are in the middle.

I’ve highlighted in red some key areas where data = eyes!

Top Right:

Receives less passes than most

Of the passes received he receives more long balls than most

in terms of numbers he receives long passes 21% of all passes, one of the highest in the division.  Here’s the top 15

image.png.ae96f9bc7d205394802347dd96aeda9f.png

Mmmmmm 🤷🏻‍♂️

Looks like Cardiff will be pinging a fair few balls to Yakou Meite tomorrow whether he plays wide or central.  No surprise to see Dykes / Smyth (QPR) and Wilks / Gregory / Paterson / R.James (Wednesday) at the top either.

Bottom Left:

Doesn’t make make passes compared to his peers

Doesn’t make many successful passes compared to his peers

Bottom Right:

Makes a lot of duels (aerial and loose ball) indicating the slightly scrappy nature our play.

My summary:

I think his nature to try and run off the shoulder is in some way forcing his teammates to try high-risk passes.  He would benefit the team by mixing it up more, pulling his RB short / deeper.

Thanks for taking the time to do the analysis. It’s really appreciated and it makes really interesting reading. It seemed the same with Semenyo when he was here and it become a bit predictable. Not to say it can’t work but as you said would like to see them mix it up a bit more.