IGNORED

Cardiff City away match thread

I think tactically what we've got right is that Cardiff are uncomfortable passing the ball out from the back and are pressing and nibbling has paid off really well.

The downside for all the promising effort is that we've not gone anywhere close to scoring and to pick players out I think Weimann and Bell have been off their game today. Cornick and in particular Mehmeti have been lively and productive.

But our best player has been Sykes. What a lad. Dickie good too.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Sensible post

If we aren’t in a position to mount a serious promotion or play offs shot , which we aren’t IMHO , even injury free , and we steer clear of relegation , then it matters little to me whether we finish 10th , 14th, 16th or whatever - it’s more about ‘Are we looking healthier and building something’ for me

Young players getting a chance , and experience , some of the younger promising players a year older , and should be a year on in their development , another year to shape the squad (If SL doesn’t stab NP) 

🔴⚪🔴

Yeah agree. I guess the annoying thing about that is we might sell our better young players in 2024 and will bank most of the cash and gamble on lower league signings.

So will we improve next season or just keep plodding along in our break-even purgatory?

1 minute ago, mozo said:

I think tactically what we've got right is that Cardiff are uncomfortable passing the ball out from the back and are pressing and nibbling has paid off really well.

The downside for all the promising effort is that we've not gone anywhere close to scoring and to pick players out I think Weimann and Bell have been off their game today. Cornick and in particular Mehmeti have been lively and productive.

But our best player has been Sykes. What a lad. Dickie good too.

A partial agree here - Sykes (especially) and Dickie the pick for me, followed by Cornick and Knight who’s getting through a boatload of work. Anis I think is taking up good positions but is understandably hesitant and the productivity Vs opportunity isn’t quite there. He needs to relax a bit more and play his game because he seems to be overthinking things to me.

Half times thoughts

Two very evenly matched teams, despite the circumstances a decent half from us, Sykes looked particularly impressive, Pring a little too keen at times with his forward ball. Bell and Weimann  really need to get in the game more.

A soft goal to give away.

Few clear-cut chances are either end. We should be encouraged by our first half performance and go for it a bit more in the second half.

• Like 4

Lot of energy but no calm clear heads when we get into their final third, one of the issues we have in the squad.

Mehmeti trying to drop into spaces and create, can't fault his efforts too much - we don't have the overlapping left back to get space in the middle so he is working with less space in there. 

Bell too predictable stuck out on the touchline. Weimann giving help to JJ (who hasn't looked too fazed bar a few balls over the top of him) but isn't helping him when he gets on the ball much.

Weimann drops inside marked by a man and isn't offering an option, he does it far too often when hes on the right side. It forces us back or we lose the ball, it drives me up the wall.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Sykes is doing okay left back but he needs to stop playing long balls as our midfield of Mehmeti-Knight-TGH are more than capable on the ball. We are losing it every time 

Sykes has been excellent… Pring if anybody has been guilty of hitting a few too many long balls if anybody.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

I'm no expert but aren't they targeting the wrong fans there?

I think if I was out to cause trouble I don't think I'd be going on the coaches 

Exactly. By the time they let us in all the fans from the trains were queuing too. Surely better to have coaches in and cleared first

2 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

The bench is young and inexperienced, not 'woeful'.

We’re losing a game of football 1-0 against a side in the top 6 whatever your view on them with an injury ravaged side. Woeful, season over (in October) and league 1 at best are the obvious go to descriptions.

4 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

The bench is young and inexperienced, not 'woeful'.

• Like 1