IGNORED

Cardiff City away match thread

The Severnside derby 3 pm tomorrow is always a bit special. More than 3,000 Cit6 fans will be there, 👏👏👏.

Why are Welsh called Taffies? Answer at the end, I do appreciate they are called lots of other things!

We will again have several players out of position and quite a number missing.

They were away at Huddersfield on Tuesday and were two up inside 12 minutes, they went on to win for the first time in four Championship games as they romped to a 4-0 victory and are now two points better off than they were at this stage last season. They are currently in 7th place with two points more than us. Last season they got 49 points and finished in 21 place.

In May they announced they were parting company with their manager, Lamouchi’s successor became Cardiff’s 11th manager in the space of a ten-year period. They went through three permanent managers last season and have not had a manager complete the entirety of a campaign since Neil Warnock.

In early June they appointed Erol Bulut - which also spells trouble - as their new manager!  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65797283

Try this quiz: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65801768

This is what he had to say pre-match, https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/bulut-pre-bristol-city-we-have-raised-our-level

Their match preview: https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/match-preview-cardiff-city-vs-bristol-city-3

NP presser: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/nigel-pearson-previews-severnside-derby/

Andi Weimann pre-match: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/weimann-looks-ahead-to-cardiff-clash/

They signed former Chelsea striker Ike Ugbo on loan from French side Troyes. Ugbo, 24, agreed a season-long deal to bolster Cardiff's attacking options. The former England youth international was part of Canada's squad at the 2022 World Cup finals in Qatar and was  Erol Bulut's first signing as Cardiff manager.

Greek centre-back Dimitrios Goutas joined on a two-year deal. The 29-year-old arrives on a free transfer having left Turkish side Sivasspor at the end of last season.

They also signed former Reading striker Yakou Meite on a two-year deal.  Meite, 27, was a free agent after turning down a new deal at the Royals following their relegation from the Championship last season.

They added striker Karlan Grant on a season-long loan from Championship rivals West Bromwich Albion.

Wales captain Aaron Ramsey, 32, completed a return to Cardiff City in July on a two-year deal. The ex-Arsenal midfielder's arrival came after Nice had confirmed that Ramsey had left the French club by mutual agreement.

In mid August they signed Greece international defensive midfielder Manolis Siopis on a three-year deal. Siopis, 29, was available on a free transfer after leaving Turkish club Trabzonspor.

They also signed Iceland goalkeeper Alex Runarsson on a season-long loan from Arsenal.

On deadline day they signed ex-England Under-21 defender Jonathan Panzo on loan from Forest for the remainder of the 2023-24 season.

History: https://thebeautifulhistory.wordpress.com/clubs/cardiff-city/#:~:text=

Last season we lost this fixture 2-0, https://youtu.be/yHguoAU2-Gc

Head-to-head record

Won: 42

Lost: 37

Drawn: 21

Officials

Referee: Darren England

Assistants: Stuart Burt and Mark Scholes
Fourth Official : Robert Madley

Darren England (aptly named for this clash) will take charge of his first match since the Liverpool VAR mix-up.

Pubs

The following options will certainly need to be checked beforehand to see if by any chance away fans will be allowed.

The Landsdowne, 71 Beda Road, Canton, Cardiff, CF5 1LX, https://www.facebook.com/thelansdownecardiff/ a 13 minute walk to the CCS.

Canton Rugby Club, 33 Lawrenny Avenue, Cardiff, CF11 8BR, https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cantonrfc/ an eight minute walk to the ground.

Gol Centre, Lawrenny Avenue, Cardiff, CF11 8BR a 12 minute walk to the CCS.

City Arms, 10-12 Quay Street, Cardiff, CF10 1EA. City-centre alehouse decorated with pump clips from across the globe; Brains ales and several guests from Wales and beyond (some tapped from the cask), tasting trays available, also plenty of draught/bottled continentals and real cider, friendly knowledgeable staff, no food; some live music, darts; open all day (till 2am Fri and Sat), very busy on rugby match days.1880s pub with a big real ale selection, https://sabrainpubs.com/pubs-and-hotels/south-wales/cardiff/city-arms a 27 minute walk from the ground.

Prince of Wales, 81–83 St Mary Street, CF10 1FA, Spoons. Vast pub in grand old theatre with original stucco decoration and dining area opposite the stage. https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/wales/cardiff/the-prince-of-wales-cardiff a 28 minute walk to the ground.

Heathcock, 58-60 Bridge Street, CF5 2EN. About a ten minute drive from the ground and certainly not a typical away pub, recommended for its beer and food. Part local pub and part informal dining room. The bar is half-panelled and simply decorated: in one corner there are some chunky leather stools and a leather wall banquette plus some elegant modern stools, high-backed farmhouse and other wooden chairs around a mix of tables on bare boards and a few high chairs against the counter where helpful staff serve up to four real ales on handpump from the Glamorgan and Wye Valley, a couple of craft beers/lagers, 13 wines by the glass and some interesting spirits including home-made fennel liqueur. The uncomplicated décor and mix of wicker and wooden chairs around chunky tables on more floorboards in the restaurant keeps the atmosphere easy-going and relaxed; a former skittles alley acts as an overflow area when things get really busy. There are picnic tables in the back garden among tubs of flowers. https://heathcockcardiff.com

Cambrian Tap, 51 St Mary Street, Cardiff, CF10 1AD. City-centre corner pub popular for its extensive range of Brains beers plus guests, 18 handpumps in total, several more bottled beers, friendly knowledgeable staff, nice home-made pies; open mike and comedy nights, open all day. https://sabrainpubs.com/pubs-and-hotels/south-wales/cardiff/cambrian-tap

Cricketers, 66 Cathedral Road, Cardiff, CF11 9LL. Victorian townhouse in quiet residential area backing on to Glamorgan CC; well kept Evan Evans ales and enjoyable freshly made food; jazz supper club Thurs; children welcome, sunny back garden, open (and food) all day, no food Sun evening. https://cricketerscardiff.co.uk

Ground guide: https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/championship/cardiff-city-stadium.html

Cardiff’s grim past

One of Cardiff's busiest streets is built on fields used to bury executed criminals. The names of these fields will send shivers down your spine. There were four of them: Gallows Pit, Defiled Pool, Cut Throats, Putrid Field. It's where the bodies of those executed at Death Junction (the spot where Albany, Richmond, City and Crwys roads meet today) were dumped. Today, Richmond Road runs through the centre of where these fields used to be. The area made up the southernmost point of a large swathe of land known as The Heath.

Conditions were so grim someone literally drowned in a toilet. Cardiff was gross. Some housing courts had no toilets whatsoever, despite conditions which saw 54 people living in four rooms, and outbreaks of fever were common. In a cholera outbreak in 1849, 396 Cardiffians died.

In the 1840s, a quarter of children in Cardiff died before their first birthday. Cardiff's non-existent drainage and open ditches saw it described as "a huge bog of sewage water". The river bed was open, the slaughterhouse dumped animal offal in the streets, the whole thing was disgusting. And in 1750 a woman called Christian Lewis drowned by falling into the toilet of the King David Inn.

Mass graves were found in the city centre in the 1960s. When Capital Tower, Cardiff's first high-rise building, was built in 1967 (when it was actually known as Pearl Assurance House) the builders arrived wearing white contagion suits and carrying oxygen. This is because, as Peter Finch details in his book Real Cardiff: The Flourishing City, "the JCBs had uncovered mass grave pits from the time of Black Death".

"The plague could still be there, waiting its chance, still alive in the ancient bones. But there was nothing to fear. Cardiff's damp had seen the evil off," writes Mr Finch.

Capital Tower was built on the site of a former medieval friary, which, after the reformation, was turned into a mansion. In turn, that was abandoned by 1730, though the ruins were visible until the 1960s.

People were burned at the stake on St Mary Street. St Mary Street still sees its fair share of drunkenness and violence, but it was a brutal place in the medieval era. Prof Rees describes the city as a place where "drunkenness and evil-living were common" and "poverty dogged the path of many to the point of destitution".

For a minor theft, Ann Harris in the 18th century was whipped on her bare back through the street. But in 1555, a man called Rawlins White was burned at the stake near the market (though it may have happened at nearby St John Street, near the church), for refusing to renounce his protestant faith. Dressed in his wedding clothes, he is said to have helped the executioner lay the straw around him and told him to tie the chains tightly, "for it may be that the flesh might strain mightily".

They were also literally pulled apart. In 1679, two Catholic priests, Philip Evans and John Lloyd, were taken to Gallows Field, or Death Junction (the place where City, Albany, Crwys and Richmond roads meet today) and hung, drawn and quartered for treason for "executing their priesthood". One had to watch the other be butchered before he met the same fate. They were declared saints by Pope Paul VI in 1970.

People are buried beneath your feet as you walk in the city centre. In the paving stones on the alleyway next to St John's Church you may notice several metal numbers. The numbers refer to burial vaults underneath the ground.

The path that runs from the back entrance of Cardiff Market to Working Street was built right through the church graveyard so people could access the market easily, gaining the nickname 'Dead Man's Alley'.

People were hanged in the market. Although people were hanged at Gallows Field, or Death Junction, they were more commonly hanged at the gallows in the county gaol, which is where the market is today. The gallows itself, known locally as "the drop" or "the evil cross", was about 30 yards from the street. We'll let you work out if that's on the spot where you buy your lunch today. In 1315, 15 thieves were hanged there.

The original jail in the city was a horrifically grim place within the walls and dungeons of Cardiff Castle. It was so awful, prisoners who became ill were said to have "the dreaded gaol fever which lurked in these dark and noisome dens of filth and disease". Dozens of people died there, having spent their last days in thumb screws and shackled in irons.

In the 19th century, 19 men and one woman were hanged within the St Mary Street gaol, the most famous of whom was working class martyr Dic Penderyn, a labourer involved in the Merthyr Rising of June 1831, who was actually hanged outside the jail at what is now the St Mary Street entrance to the market.

Hundreds of men died in a field on the edge of the city. There is nothing there to mark the spot today but hundreds men died in what is now just a quiet field on the edge of the city.

The Battle of St Fagans was the last big battle of the long-running English Civil War, the fight between parliamentarians and forces loyal to the king.. On May 8, 1648 they met at this site, which is between St Fagans Museum and the A4232 link road. By the time the battle was done, between 300 and 700 people were dead.

Quiz question answer. The term "Taffy" is a corruption of the personal name Dafydd (Welsh pronunciation: [ˈdavɨð]), with the Oxford English Dictionary describing the origin as ‘representing a supposed Welsh pronunciation of the given name Davy or David (Welsh Dafydd)’

No doubt the Red Army will be loud and proud, COYR!

IMG_4300.jpeg

IMG_4308.jpeg

IMG_4308.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 8
  • Robin 2

Two games in 4 weeks after this, which is so ideal for us given our thin squad. If we can pick up the three points tomorrow, then have players start to gradually return for upcoming matches, the feel-good amongst the fans and players would be palpable.

Severnside derby, 10 injuries, manager under (unfair) pressure… I’m nervous as hell but if we do them - what a weekend we’ll have in store. COYR 🔴⚪

• Like 1

I’m going to follow the lead set by Kellyanne Conway, a Donald Trump, official, in an interview in 2017. She said that we should consider “alternative facts”. If this is good enough for the Donald Trump administration, that bastion of honesty and integrity, then it’s good enough for me. So 

Head-to-head record

Won: 100

Lost: 0

Drawn: 0

• Haha 6
1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

The Severnside derby 3 pm tomorrow is always a bit special. More than 3,000 Cit6 fans will be there, 👏👏👏.

Why are Welsh called Taffies? Answer at the end, I do appreciate they are called lots of other things!

Quiz question answer. The term "Taffy" is a corruption of the personal name Dafydd (Welsh pronunciation: [ˈdavɨð]), with the Oxford English Dictionary describing the origin as ‘representing a supposed Welsh pronunciation of the given name Davy or David (Welsh Dafydd)’

No doubt the Red Army will be loud and proud, COYR!

IMG_4300.jpeg

Thanks again for another of your interesting match previews.

I did find your explanation as to the origin of the term ‘Taffies’ interesting, as I had always assumed that the Welsh, and Cardiff fans in particular, were called Taffs after the river Taff.

• Like 2

With a fully fit squad, I’d be very confident of extending our good record there. But with eight or nine first-teamers likely to be out, I’d take a point right now. 

I can’t see the sense in starting Conway for a third time in seven days when it’s clear he’s easing back from injury and he was anonymous on Weds. Weimann and Bell were poor too, but they have to start due to the lack of depth or trust in Mehmeti. 

My XI: O’Leary; TGH, Dickie, Pring, Roberts; James, Knight; Sykes, Weimann, Bell; Cornick. 

I'm going to the game tomorrow...except I will be sat in the home end! 

I live in Wales and naturally several of my friends (surprised I have many by openly declaring I am a English/Bristol City supporter 😝) are Cardiff fans, and one of them kindly invited me along to watch the game in the Canton end!

Think this will be a tough game with our depleted squad and their current good form. They are not the quickest team, nor do they press much, but their physicality could cause us a lot of trouble vs our smaller and less experienced squad. However, our pace and counter attack should cause them problems. I'd take a draw but see no reason why we can't battle out a win.

Never been in a home end whilst supporting the away team, so should be an interesting experience. Excited to see and listen to our loud and proud fans from a different perspective. Rest assured I'll be internally screaming and celebrating if we score/win and trying my hardest to avoid expressing frustration and dismay if the opposite happens. No doubt I'll carry a smug smile the whole day should the former happen!

Wish me luck and more importantly, COYR

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1
1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

I’m going to follow the lead set by Kellyanne Conway, a Donald Trump, official, in an interview in 2017. She said that we should consider “alternative facts”. If this is good enough for the Donald Trump administration, that bastion of honesty and integrity, then it’s good enough for me. So 

Head-to-head record

Won: 100

Lost: 0

Drawn: 0

Kellyanne Conway is Tommy Conway's auntie.

• Haha 1
  • Robin 1
4 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Thanks again for another of your interesting match previews.

I did find your explanation as to the origin of the term ‘Taffies’ interesting, as I had always assumed that the Welsh, and Cardiff fans in particular, were called Taffs after the river Taff.

Yep that’s what I’d always thought too

12 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Yep that’s what I’d always thought too

5 hours ago, Montpelierblue said:

Me too…..taffies are generally referred to by most people I know as valley folks, proper welshies, who love rugby, vote Labour for no reason and watch rugby…..clueless f uckers who barely ever leave Wales

Well, it seems as if we may all have been wrong.

The children's nursery rhyme 'Taffy was a Welshman' has its origins in Celtic Mythology. Amaethon (from which the name Taffy is derived) was the God of Welsh Agriculture. This Celtic God Amaethon was renown for stealing a variety of wild life from the god Arawn, the Lord of the Otherworld.

As stated, this would also seem to be the origin of the old nursery rhyme, 'Taffy was a Welshman, Taffy was a thief'.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
55 minutes ago, BITW said:

Tough game today against an in form team. As if our injury problems weren’t bad enough I’m hearing that Matty James is out for the foreseeable with a ligament injury! 

Wouldn’t be surprised. Saw him on Thursday out and about with his kids and he seemed to be limping a bit. At the time I wondered if it was another injury or just a case of stiff legs from the game the night before.

Massive loss for us if he’s out!

15 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

With this in mind, my team would be:

O’Leary

Sykes Dickie Pring Roberts

Weimann TGH Knight

Cornick Conway Bell

Bench: all the kids plus Mehmeti

For all the talk of the 10 injuries, if we had none and a full strength squad to choose from, I reckon 7 of that side would be in the team, albeit maybe not in the position they are here.

Edited by A Horse With No Name
20 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

With this in mind, my team would be:

O’Leary

Sykes Dickie Pring Roberts

Weimann TGH Knight

Cornick Conway Bell

Bench: all the kids plus Mehmeti

After watching Bell the last two games I think it’s time to give him a rest. He’s not been involved at all. Mehmeti from the start for me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

For all the talk of the 10 injuries, if we had none and a full strength squad to choose from, I reckon 7 of that side would be in the team, albeit maybe not in the position they are here.

Possibly, but the injuries have decimated us defensively, only Dickie is a starter there in his natural position & in midfield the absence of both James & Williams is huge, King I accept not so much but he would add vital experience.

Today’s bench will be the true reflection, highly likely that 7 or 8 of the 9 won’t ever have started a Championship game, just a ridiculous lack of depth.

• Like 1