IGNORED

Cardiff City away match thread

Just now, GrahamC said:

Possibly, but the injuries have decimated us defensively, only Dickie is a starter there in his natural position & in midfield the absence of both James & Williams is huge, King I accept not so much but he would add vital experience.

Today’s bench will be the true reflection, highly likely that 7 or 8 of the 9 won’t ever have started a Championship game, just a ridiculous lack of depth.

And yet the chance was there to strengthen before the window closed using the Scott cash, not his own, but no. The buck stops with SL.

• Like 10
  • Flames 8
27 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

With this in mind, my team would be:

O’Leary

Sykes Dickie Pring Roberts

Weimann TGH Knight

Cornick Conway Bell

Bench: all the kids plus Mehmeti

I think that has a good chance of being the eleven. If Roberts out surely Idehen comes in and Pring moved back to LB?

Nightmare really. 

• Robin 1
  • Facepalm 1
9 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

He’s not. James is out for a while. 

If Roberts & King are also both injured today god knows who plays left back & CM. 

King definitely is, think @B-Rizzle is probably spot on with his team, Roberts was apparently in the training video so expect him to feature.

If not then probably Idehen, with Pring in his natural position.

46 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

With this in mind, my team would be:

O’Leary

Sykes Dickie Pring Roberts

Weimann TGH Knight

Cornick Conway Bell

Bench: all the kids plus Mehmeti

Just to add the bench appears to be as follows;

Bajic, Joseph James, Knight-Lebel, Idehen, Nelson, Yeboah & Mehmeti, that’s only 7- Mehmeti is the only one who has ever started a Championship game, Yeboah has 8 sub appearances, Idehen’s 2 sub appearances two seasons ago & young James’ couple of minutes on Wednesday is the only “experience” the remainder of the outfield players have.

Presumably another 2 Academy players will make it up to 9 (I’m pretty certain that I know who one of them is) Araoye who was on the bench earlier in the season is presumably the other? Unless Taylor-Clarke or Francois return from the cold.

What an indictment of an owner who won’t spend the Scott money & has lost interest.

Great legacy, Steve & Jon.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 3
  • Flames 5
  • Robin 1
10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

King definitely is, think @B-Rizzle is probably spot on with his team, Roberts was apparently in the training video so expect him to feature.

If not then probably Idehen, with Pring in his natural position.

That’s a weight lifted knowing Roberts is fit. Time for him to step up & show us why we signed him. Hopefully does well. Will be a tough game against Bowler!

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, tin said:

And yet the chance was there to strengthen before the window closed using the Scott cash, not his own, but no. The buck stops with SL.

Just to play devil’s advocate for a minute: and I don’t want to reopen the whole Lansdown thread or to disagree with the proposition that we should/could have brought in another one or two.

But I think SL might argue that the Scott money IS his, or at least that it provides money he’d otherwise have had to stump up himself.

You can debate the rights and wrongs, the implications and the consequences, of his stated aim of making the club self sufficient. But if that’s what going to happen then it requires a) a small squad and b) a significant net transfer profit to do so. And the Scott money isn’t some wad of cash that’s floating around as a surplus or profit: it just means we’ll lose that much less money this year, and SL will have to subsidise us by that much less. 

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Just to add the bench appears to be as follows;

Bajic, Joseph James, Knight-Lebel, Idehen, Nelson, Yeboah & Mehmeti, that’s only 7- Mehmeti is the only one who has ever started a Championship game, Yeboah has 8 sub appearances, Idehen’s 2 sub appearances two seasons ago & young James’ couple of minutes on Wednesday is the only “experience” the remainder of the outfield players have.

Presumably another 2 Academy players will make it up to 9 (I’m pretty certain that I know who one of them is) Araoye who was on the bench earlier in the season is presumably the other? Unless Taylor-Clarke or Francois return from the cold.

What an indictment of an owner who won’t spend the Scott money & has lost interest.

Great legacy, Steve & Jon.

Weimann, Cornick and Dickie are the only ones to top 100 Championship games.

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Just to play devil’s advocate for a minute: and I don’t want to reopen the whole Lansdown thread or to disagree with the proposition that we should/could have brought in another one or two.

But I think SL might argue that the Scott money IS his, or at least that it provides money he’d otherwise have had to stump up himself.

You can debate the rights and wrongs, the implications and the consequences, of his stated aim of making the club self sufficient. But if that’s what going to happen then it requires a) a small squad and b) a significant net transfer profit to do so. And the Scott money isn’t some wad of cash that’s floating around as a surplus or profit: it just means we’ll lose that much less money this year, and SL will have to subsidise us by that much less. 

It’s all his money. I think it’s just splitting hairs, over thinking the situation.

15 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I think we will actually turn a profit this year. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

(I won’t reopen debate either…Fun Boy 3 - Our Lips Are Sealed)

• Robin 2
19 minutes ago, italian dave said:

As SL once said: “It’s my club and I’ll do what I want” or words to that effect. That’s exactly what he did and let’s see at 5pm to see whether he’s right or wrong. 

Playing devil’s advocate myself, it’s not beyond the realms that we get thrashed today and Nige gets sacked as a result. That would really show how ******* clueless and inept he really is. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think we will actually turn a profit this year. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

(I won’t reopen debate either…Fun Boy 3 - Our Lips Are Sealed)

You’re mining a rich vein there now Dave.

It would be Really saying something if we got a result today considering the injuries. However, with JL in charge it’s a case of The Lunatics (have taken over the asylum) and although The telephone always rings with agents offering us players, as far as Steve is concerned It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it. And that way involves spending sod all money.

Hardly, “Special” is it…

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1
6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

You’re mining a rich vein there now Dave.

It would be Really saying something if we got a result today considering the injuries. However, with JL in charge it’s a case of The Lunatics (have taken over the asylum) and although The telephone always rings with agents offering us players, as far as Steve is concerned It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it. And that way involves spending sod all money.

Hardly, “Special” is it…

I’m thinking more Fun Boy Three representing the sum of our fit first team squad at this rate!

• Haha 1
41 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I see Tomlin is on the pitch before kick off....he made more appearances for us (56 v 51) but they love him because we don't 🤣

Bit sad really that Cardiff invited him back for today's encounter. He's hardly a legend playing just 51 times for them....🙄

Free buffet.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Haha 2
29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sam Pearson maybe comes in?

Him or Taylor-Clarke if not Araoye.

Other option appears naming two keepers on the bench.

A total mess & for all my disgust at Lansdown I do think we also need a deeper explanation that “one of those things” or “ just got to deal with it” from Nige or Dave Rennie.

Shocking injury levels means you have to ask some questions. Was pre-season too intense? Is training causing issues? Is the squad too small?

You can say we've been unlucky with some, McCrorie. But all the soft tissues of Conway, Wells, Vyner, Tanner etc??

Is the squad balance to blame? Feel like we have a few sick-notes like Williams but is there also too much pressure on more injury susceptible players like Weimann, James, Naismith who realistically need to be managed, fatigue-wise? 

You've got to ask the question because it's not good enough. TBH feels almost as bad as it's ever been.

18 minutes ago, tin said:

As SL once said: “It’s my club and I’ll do what I want” or words to that effect. That’s exactly what he did and let’s see at 5pm to see whether he’s right or wrong. 

Playing devil’s advocate myself, it’s not beyond the realms that we get thrashed today and Nige gets sacked as a result. That would really show how ******* clueless and inept he really is. 

That’s when he lost couldn’t believe he came out with that! We certainly appear to be drifting eventually we will  hit something & sink back to league 1. We managed to get up quickly last time. Right that’s me miserable & we haven’t even kicked off yet!😳 COYR