IGNORED

The ridiculous injuries……

Kibs

Is it just horrendous luck?

Is it the pitches? Is it the training? 

Does the high fitness, high intensity pressing system/game we play contribute? And does that style lend itself to such a small squad?

And finally, how on earth did teams in the 60s/70s, on those pitches, with their diets etc go through entire seasons using only 14 or 15 players? 

• Like 3

Players today are Athletes and everything is scientific with Diet etc. If a player gets injured it's usually a bad one as they are so primed and lean.

Back in the day with players like George Best turning up for a game after leaving a nightclub are long gone.

I've never really remember of hearing about an ACL but how things have changed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Is it just horrendous luck?

Is it the pitches? Is it the training? 

Does the high fitness, high intensity pressing system/game we play contribute? And does that style lend itself to such a small squad?

And finally, how on earth did teams in the 60s/70s, on those pitches, with their diets etc go through entire seasons using only 14 or 15 players? 

Because they were good footballers today you have to be a good footballer and an athlete. I would imagine that most 3rd tier sides would run rings around any team from the 60s/70s playing by modern rules.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Because they were good footballers today you have to be a good footballer and an athlete. I would imagine that most 3rd tier sides would run rings around any team from the 60s/70s playing by modern rules.

Assuming they had enough fit first team players to field a team of course 😉

• Haha 1

As someone who is portrayed on here as a Nige apologist & who never criticises, I do think we are owed a fuller explanation by Dave Rennie and/or Nige.

McCrorie could be considered unfortunate with an infection, we knew Rob Atkinson would be out long term with his ACL & I do worry for Benarous as after his second ACL he seemingly cannot keep fit.

However beyond those 3 we do still seem to have more than our fair share of injuries & an answer of “just one of those things” isn’t sufficient.

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Swear it's been the same for last couple of seasons aswel, quite frustrating that the club doesn't keep the fans updated about long term injuries like Atkinson and benarous

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

As someone who is portrayed on here as a Nige apologist & who never criticises, I do think we are owed a fuller explanation by Dave Rennie and/or Nige.

McCrorie could be considered unfortunate with an infection, we knew Rob Atkinson would be out long term with his ACL & I do worry for Benarous as after his second ACL he seemingly cannot keep fit.

However beyond those 3 we do still seem to have more than our fair share of injuries & an answer of “just one of those things” isn’t sufficient.

I'm proud of you Graham! Sorry, only kidding...

The only one that I thought seemed really obviously wrong was I think the first or second game of the season, Weimann started with injections to conceal the pain of a heel tendon injury which I said at the time was weird and lo and behold the injury flailed up and he had to have more time out. That's the kind of gamble you take near the end of the season, or indeed during an injury crisis like the current one, but not then. I don't have any other examples like that but the total number over two years has been shocking.

I also think this plays into SL's hands if he wants to bring about change.

• Like 1

Surely both Patrick Orme (Head of Fitness and Conditioning) and Derrick Bonsu (Head of Strength and Conditioning) have questions to answer as the players don't seem to be prepared in the way they should be and the problem Dave Rennie was brought in to resolve still exists.

This is an issue that keeps happening every season and cant be considered unlucky anymore, there has to be an underlying problem with the facilities,the way the staff manage the players health or both.

Edited by Redfest
  • Like 5
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The main criticism I would level, is that it was obvious that Naismith, Williams and James would all miss games through injury throughout the season, probably more than 30 between them.  Not taking this into account, or ignoring it if was taken into account, was clearly a mistake, particularly given we’ve reached a point where they are all injured at the same time.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Malago said:

The main criticism I would level, is that it was obvious that Naismith, Williams and James would all miss games through injury throughout the season, probably more than 30 between them.  Not taking this into account, or ignoring it if was taken into account, was clearly a mistake, particularly given we’ve reached a point where they are all injured at the same time.

What is the solution to that, then?

We only have about 15 senior outfield players, that includes the likes of Sykes & Tanner (not exactly veterans) & we started the season knowing that Atkinson & McCrorie were long term absentees.

Naismith appears to have a decent injury record prior to joining.

We simply don’t have the depth to allow players like these to drop out now & then.

• Like 3

Finally pushed over the edge (no injuries sustained) with this today - maybe because it was Cardiff?!

I hear "injury hit Bristol City" on the radio as I'm driving home, and feel compelled to shout back " it's like this every bloody week mate! ".

It IS ridiculous and needs to be addressed by the club. 

I don't have any answers it's true, but from the "in and outs" like Williams to the extraordinary situation with McCrorie, the whole thing is a total farce.

I'm not blaming any player for being injured of course and before I get ripped to shreds, I only mention the two players above as an illustration.

But this has gone on for far too long now to be just part and parcel of the game.

Who would want to be in charge of a squad where you've got no chance of picking the same team from one week to another?

• Like 1

I still think it's mainly bad luck: there are other teams who play with a high intensity style, other teams who have old/injury-prone players in the squad or a relatively small number of players...yet nobody reaches our number of injuries so frequently, season after season.

I get some of the criticism about SL (Scott money not invested), but honesly I don't think that having 2 more players would have changed much of our situation (what if they got injured too?). Frustrating, cruelly undeserved, but we have to cope again with this huge problem.  A deep analysis of training regime etc.  should be done, but I'm not sure it would give us many answers.

At this point, should we take a look at the free agents market, at least for a defender, or should we resist until some players are back/until January comes? Wage bill an issue or maybe not so much?

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

At this point, should we take a look at the free agents market, at least for a defender, or should we resist until some players are back/until January comes?

Absolutely not. They haven’t played since May, won’t be anywhere near match fit for weeks. Pointless.

• Like 1