IGNORED

The ridiculous injuries……

Kibs

What I wonder - and this might be nonsense - is whether the number of injuries we’re getting is the direct result of the number of injuries we have. By which I mean that the lack of options means we can’t rotate and rest players who are either tired or carrying minor knocks and that is then leading to those players developing injuries which result in them missing games.

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

What I wonder - and this might be nonsense - is whether the number of injuries we’re getting is the direct result of the number of injuries we have. By which I mean that the lack of options means we can’t rotate and rest players who are either tired or carrying minor knocks and that is then leading to those players developing injuries which result in them missing games.

NP mentioned in the post match interview that the majority are impact/match injuries rather than training, only one is a training injury. Bit of a spikey interview to be fair 

Edited by bexhill reds
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Yeah, it's a vicious circle, but all starts with an anomalous number of injuries at the same time. If we had the same number of injuries but "shared" in different moments of the season, the impact would be different both on the single player (less chance of recurring injuries) and the team, not to mention results.

20 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

NP mentioned in the post match interview that the majority are impact/match injuries rather than training, only one is a training injury. Bit of a spikey interview to be fair 

He was clear that we've just had bad luck.

Just now, mozo said:

He was clear that we've just had bad luck.

Not saying I agree, but he’s never going to say anything else, is he?

I don’t think that really covers it but would be very surprised if the club looks to explain further, though I think they should.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Swear it's been the same for last couple of seasons aswel, quite frustrating that the club doesn't keep the fans updated about long term injuries like Atkinson and benarous

BCFC management don't want to communicate to the fans

From my experience with the club lately it's a closed shop

It's sad but true 

I don't know whether it's a directive from above but they don't want to involve fans other than take their money 

Gone are the days of Beryl Fudge | Terry Cooper | Lisa Fillingham who had the club at heart

It's just a job for them no interest in BCFC fans at all 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Swear it's been the same for last couple of seasons aswel, quite frustrating that the club doesn't keep the fans updated about long term injuries like Atkinson and benarous

Pearson updates pretty much every press conference. Atkinson training and due to play for the 21s very soon 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Longer than that. I can barely remember a season that we didn't have a good proportion of the squad out. Even 2017-18 LJ often basically had 11 players to choose from which, in his case, was actually beneficial because he couldn't meddle too much. O'Dowda, Kalas, Duric, Paterson, Taylor, Korey Smith, Gary O'Neill, long spells out around that time.

Contrast to the 2014-2015 promotion season where we only had 2 significant injuries (Wilbraham and Agard and then JET and Matt Smith slotted in perfectly).

The Holden season was ridiculous, as is this season. Cant just simply be bad luck for it to happen season after season.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

As someone who is portrayed on here as a Nige apologist & who never criticises, I do think we are owed a fuller explanation by Dave Rennie and/or Nige.

McCrorie could be considered unfortunate with an infection, we knew Rob Atkinson would be out long term with his ACL & I do worry for Benarous as after his second ACL he seemingly cannot keep fit.

However beyond those 3 we do still seem to have more than our fair share of injuries & an answer of “just one of those things” isn’t sufficient.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I think one of the most frustrating things is that players are close and the timeline just slides. Wells was pushing for a return possibly against Ipswich and now not available to god knows when. Tanner was a knock but should be back after international break & now we have no idea on a return date. Joe Williams was two weeks & another not likely to be fit for next week. Agree it would be good to get a more in depth update.

Edited by Shuffle
  • Like 3
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, bexhill reds said:

Yes, heard that bit too.

I dunno what the answer is, we’ve cut down on muscle type injuries significantly, but now are getting impact injuries.

It’s killing us, just two more players in the squad is probably enough, that’s the really frustrating thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Agree with a lot of that. I think it’s down to a lack of strength in depth and that’s partially down to long-term injuries. 

What I struggle to get my head around is we had the option to add a couple of players post-Scott and we didn’t. Thats really costing us now. 

That’s meant we haven’t been able to rotate the players we’ve got, and as such we can’t protect those coming back from injury either. 

A totally avoidable catch 22.

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I believe we may see at least one of our long term injured in the U21 game against Watford at Ashton Gate on Tuesday. 

Welcome back Rob, I’m presuming? It will be good to see him back.

Hope it goes smoothly, there’s often small unrelated injuries after long lay offs, so I guess we’ll have to be patient.

Edited by ralphindevon

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, heard that bit too.

I dunno what the answer is, we’ve cut down on muscle type injuries significantly, but now are getting impact injuries.

It’s killing us, just two more players in the squad is probably enough, that’s the really frustrating thing.

Could it be the pitch given that it’s part artificial part grass and the amount of sport played on it, no other teams seem to be getting this volume of injuries season after season. It seems to be affecting us more than most, other than Atkinson at Sunderland, I wonder how many of the non impact match related injuries have arisen from AG as a result of the quality of the pitch in terms of grip lack of or otherwise?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Could it be the pitch given that it’s part artificial part grass and the amount of sport played on it, no other teams seem to be getting this volume of injuries season after season. It seems to be affecting us more than most, other than Atkinson at Sunderland, I wonder how many of the non impact match related injuries have arisen from AG as a result of the quality of the pitch in terms of grip lack of or otherwise?

It’s probably one for those with a sports science background, but I don’t think we can put impact injuries down to the pitch, and as above muscle injuries are decreasing.  However Joint and Ligament injuries appear to be on the up.  Pitches are harder, the game is quicker.  That will be a contributory factor.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s probably one for those with a sports science background, but I don’t think we can put impact injuries down to the pitch, and as above muscle injuries are decreasing.  However Joint and Ligament injuries appear to be on the up.  Pitches are harder, the game is quicker.  That will be a contributory factor.

I was thinking more of the various hamstring, calve and Vyner’s ACL-lite that all seems to be fairly innocuous in terms of their occurrence. But definitely one that should be looked at if the club have not done so already. We do seem to be consistently unfortunate when it comes to medium terms injuries

4 hours ago, Kibs said:

Is it just horrendous luck?

Is it the pitches? Is it the training? 

Does the high fitness, high intensity pressing system/game we play contribute? And does that style lend itself to such a small squad?

And finally, how on earth did teams in the 60s/70s, on those pitches, with their diets etc go through entire seasons using only 14 or 15 players? 

Its called trying to bootstrap an EFL championship club. We’re reaping what we’ve sown.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

48 minutes ago, johnbytheriver said:

Sad thing about yesterday was that as much effort as the players put in you just knew we would lose. Felt sorry for sykes having to play full back again.So restricting for him.Realise we had no choice.

Agreed - always going to be tough with so many players out and for a number in the team, playing out of position - thought Sykes for one, comes out of yesterday with huge credit…

Just hope we get a few back over the next week or so (as Nige suggested would be the case) so that we can get back to winning ways.

The next two games before the International break feel huge now, for a number of reasons…

COYRs

17 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

They’ve killed our league season I’m afraid. We’ll drop too many points before we have a squad again to have a crack at the top 6. Another year down the loo.

A lack of squad recruitment has also contributed, with our bench looking like a six form college outing?

I was reading about Southend this evening; due to extreme off field issues they have been operating with a squad of 15 this season, 4 on the bench on Saturday (including a 37 year old goalkeeper). No U21 team/players as far as I know. The National League schedule is very intense early in the season, they've played 18 League games so far plus FA Cup games, they've overcome a 10 point deduction and are now 14th.

I suggest someone at Ashton Gate looks at how they are handling fitness and injuries. Yes it's a much lower level of football but they are full-time players too. Would be interesting to know if they are doing anything specific to try to limit injuries and maintain fitness while still being competetive. If they had our squad they'de be starting games with 6 players!!