IGNORED

How Do They Turn This Around?

Silvio Dante

How Do They Turn This Around?  

431 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

But given that renowned football experts Steve and Jon believe the squad is good enough, once they appoint the new head coach shouldn't it be pretty much a given that we will make the top 6 because Nigel was the only impediment that?

Basically we are going to end up with a wet wipe as our new head coach. 

Because no one with any football credibility will at interview stage be able to say that our squad is good enough to be at the top end of the table.

They'll go down and down the list until they can find someone that will tell them it's good enough. That's not the sort of person I would want, but that's the guy we will be getting.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don’t think there’s any way back from a PR/supporter relations POV.

People just don’t trust the owners footballing judgement. Their track record with managerial appointments is poor and it seems they value someone who won’t challenge them too much.

I would be quite forgiving to the past bad decisions if they were more present however they are now running the club at arms length and have decided to turn on the person who was there day to day (illnesses aside) trying to develop a successful working environment. Considering the ambitious expectations they set for Pearson I would have hoped that the Lansdown's would set higher standards for themselves, however there is not much room for them to be challenged and the piss poor communications full of contradictions and obvious lies are now deemed acceptable too. Their credibility is rightly at an all time low but if the new coach does well (unlikely I think) then it will give them an undeserved boost.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mattjb said:

Voted ‘sell’ . Can’t see any way they can turn this around now, even if the new man does well and we win games. The mistrust would still be there. 

Correct. It’s like if someone cheats on you, or betrays you. You can move on to a point, even have the resemblance of normality, but deep down you know. 

• Like 2

Only thing they can do is sell up and **** off. It’s over.

The only way they can win any sort of acceptance from me (and yes obviously this isn’t going to happen) is Nige is reinstated, a Chief Executive capable of running the club alongside Nige is appointed, and Jon Lansdown is removed from any sort of involvement in the club.

It’s over, **** off.

• Like 3
  • Flames 6

6 minutes ago, One Team said:

Correct. It’s like if someone cheats on you, or betrays you. You can move on to a point, even have the resemblance of normality, but deep down you know. 

Yep, I think they massively misjudged how this whole thing would go down with us fans and they’ve made a complete mess of it. There’s no going back now unfortunately 

• Like 4

Simple answer is they can't turn this around. They could appoint Pep give him the keys to the castle and the trust still wouldn't be there.

It takes ages to build up trust but a moment to knock it all down.

Every bit of good they've done was wiped away in an instant because of this. Nige had the support or the players and the fans. He never lost either because we all knew what a shit hand he was dealt and then JL spouts off a load of s**t about how the squad (which nige put together) is capable of going up and that results haven't been good enough. He was never backed in the transfer market and we are 5 points off the play offs with a whole first XI out injured the **** does he expect would happen.

He needs to carve up Bristol Sport (a failed project) and sell off the Club to someone who will back the manager.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

I dont care who they get in. I want them out.

Years ago I shouted down this Bristol Sport thing, the dilution of the Football Club and a rebuilt stadium that is no longer a football ground for Bristol City FC.

And now add the ridiculous sacking of a Manager, who we all started to understand how and what he could work with.

It's all been a Lansdown Legacy and I have nothing to be grateful for. His debt, his stadium and I don't get to watch my team for free.

Get them OUT!!

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

The next appointment would have to be a rip-roaring success or fan discontent will grow even more rampant. 

It's something of a poisoned chalice to take on; succeeding a popular manager who the fans didn't want to be sacked, AND working with Mr Sustainability Lansdown and his varying 'templates to follow' and with Tins sticking his oar in all the time.

Nonetheless, Brian was right to say we have a talented squad here (albeit unbalanced and wafer-thin). An exceptional head coach might succeed against the odds stacked against him. 

It needn't be a "big name" either: Just a good name. Thinking outside the box is required. Unfortunately, I don't think the board even recognise what a box looks like, yet alone how to find its outside. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s clear the decision and the management of the response has gone down like a cup of cold sick. So, the question now becomes if the current regime (Lansdowns and Tinnion) can ever regain the faith of the fanbase, and if so, how. 

All options are fraught. If they sell, it’s likely to be a protracted process and they won’t be giving due care to the club while ongoing. If they give a new manager cash it’ll be sullied by the fact they wouldn’t do it for Nige, and if they ever reappointed Nige it’d render them neutered.

So, is there now any way back, and how?

Hostage interviews -

Made me laugh!

As a relative exile, down in Devon, I'm not sure how well the OTIB bubble reflects what the wider fanbase thinks. I don't personally feel the level of outrage expressed on here. It will be interesting to see the atmosphere at AG.

If a new Head Coach comes in and results improve and SL feels encouraged to spend in the next few windows I'll be ok about them moving on from Nige.

I think he was unlucky to lose his job but hey, football is full of stories like this. At another club he probably would've been sacked some time ago as he had several bad runs.

• Facepalm 2

Just now, Curr Avon said:

I'd have voted to sell-up Graham. But who wants to buy the club when its tied up in a cats cradle company structure? 

That’s not our problem though, is it?

Super wealthy people can employ clever people to sort legalities like that.

I am astounded by those who still back Lansdown, I am very grateful for the infrastructure but there is nothing else & allowing Tinnion to pull the wool over his eyes like Ashton did, shows he’s either a fool or lost interest.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Just now, GrahamC said:

I am astounded by those who still back Lansdown, I am very grateful for the infrastructure but there is nothing else & allowing Tinnion to pull the wool over his eyes like Ashton did, shows he’s either a fool or lost interest.

Yes, its not our problem and we should be an attractive proposition to potential investors. In that case, why aren't they coming forward?

Just now, Curr Avon said:

Yes, its not our problem and we should be an attractive proposition to potential investors. In that case, why aren't they coming forward?

We’re not privy to these conversations but think @Merrick's Marvels hit the nail on the head.

Rugby is a loss making minority interest sport, basketball even more so. Our women’s team might be top flight but in name only, no quality or investment.

Who on earth wants to buy all this as well as a football club?

That’s my take.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

In the short term, as the other thread suggests, how the players react will be so important. Whoever is in charge of training would be well advised to keep them distant from the board and make sure they just focus on football.

None of us or the players are in control of this so keep the team in isolation from all the corporate stuff even if it means being 'unavailable' for meetings and PR.

2 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

In the short term, as the other thread suggests, how the players react will be so important. Whoever is in charge of training would be well advised to keep them distant from the board and make sure they just focus on football.

None of us or the players are in control of this so keep the team in isolation from all the corporate stuff even if it means being 'unavailable' for meetings and PR.

I fully back Curtis to keep their heads on right. He won't hang them out to dry and he'll make sure they are in as right of a mind frame they can be in.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

We all know if we ever find ourselves in the top six we choke quicker than the Boston Strangler.

🫣

We also know that top six is Jennifer Anniston asking us out for a date as we walk down North St likely.

Don’t bother to reply @Rudolf Hucker I know already, mate.

• Haha 6

In fairness in rugby there is at least a prospect on paper of things trying better if the salary cap falls further (ironically SL has spoken of his wish to see it go higher). Still nothing like football levels of course.. might be able to run sustainably down the line, profit or money to extract not so much.

They are pushing it in USA but that feels unlikely really.

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He’s both, and he needs to go for those reasons.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Nige is gone now and isn’t coming back. Not many supported this but it happened anyway. As fans we worry about the direction of the club but we are essentially all just passengers - to pretend otherwise is laughable. This isn’t just a Lansdown thing though - it’s a ‘football’ thing and has been for many years. I get that at a time like this we might be thinking that ‘any’ owners have got be be better than these but is this really the case? Any owner coming forward who isn’t a fan or who has no local ties is by definition an investor. Whist there is an argument that BCFC is already a rich man’s plaything at least there’s some sort of ‘legacy’ in place (stadium) and no-one could ever suggest that BCFC has ever been a ‘cash cow’ for the Lansdown family. There are far too many narcissistic, idiot owners in football. The odds on us getting shot of the Lansdowns and then somehow picking up some sort of generous and benevolent billionaire are zero I’m afraid. Be careful what you wish for.

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 2

Sadly we live in a world where realising you made a mistake and undoing it is viewed as an absolute no-go. I'd love them to be like, 'well, that was a bad shout. Come back Nige, 3-year deal, we'll back off and let you get on with it'.

Can't see it happening, but what a world to live in!

• Like 1