IGNORED

Saudi Arabia to host 2034 World Cup

myol'man

40 minutes ago, chinapig said:

There was no point in anyone else bidding as Infantino had already indicated that Saudi Arabia would get it.

It is after all a great football nation as shown by the fact that Gerrard's team had almost as big a crowd at their last game as Scunthorpe.

It's also been engineered so that basically no one else can bid for 2034. With 2030 technically being across South America, Europe and Africa, and with 2026 being in North America, it means only a team from Asia or Oceania can get it....

Essentially Australia were their only 'competition'. How convenient. FIFA are a joke of an organisation.

• Like 5

Stop the season in November again, no alcohol there and heterosexuals only.

FIFA's committee announced; "This is not about money, but spreading the game around"

Saudi Arabia is set to host the men's 2034 World Cup after Fifa confirmed it was the only bidder for the tournament. Australia decided against bidding to stage the tournament hours before Fifa's deadline for declarations of interest on Tuesday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67271423#:~:text=Saudi Arabia is set to,declarations of interest on Tuesday.

9 hours ago, chinapig said:

There was no point in anyone else bidding as Infantino had already indicated that Saudi Arabia would get it.

It is after all a great football nation as shown by the fact that Gerrard's team had almost as big a crowd at their last game as Scunthorpe.

To be fair there aren't really any great football nations at all to choose from in Asia or Oceania and every country there will have low attendances like that in their top flight. By the time this comes around the Saudi Pro League will probably become by far the biggest from that region and it could be surprising to see how far their obscene amounts of money changes the perception on them being a football nation.

13 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

To be fair there aren't really any great football nations at all to choose from in Asia or Oceania and every country there will have low attendances like that in their top flight. By the time this comes around the Saudi Pro League will probably become by far the biggest from that region and it could be surprising to see how far their obscene amounts of money changes the perception on them being a football nation.

Except that the change will not be reflected inside their own nation as local fans will not give much of a damn, be priced out of attending or be North Korea'd into attending. The kind of growth a sport requires is a level of organic community that is completely antithetical to how a dictatorship rules its populace.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

Except that the change will not be reflected inside their own nation as local fans will not give much of a damn, be priced out of attending or be North Korea'd into attending. The kind of growth a sport requires is a level of organic community that is completely antithetical to how a dictatorship rules its populace.

I looked up Saudi Pro League and found this video that made some interesting points... On the dictatorship ruling its populace it suggests that it is one of their big considerations but there is currently a football culture in Saudi where nobody cares about any of the clubs except the 4 biggest ones.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Harry said:

Does this mean another winter tournament? 

Yes it does.

I enjoyed Qatar, but some of the stadiums had a longish walk from the bus; I did one 35 min walk in 26 degrees and almost needed an oxygen tent when I got there. In June/ July ( which amazingly was the original FIFA plan) the temperature could have been 40 degrees or more, basically non- survivable for a 50+ European. So expect Nov/Dec.

3 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

Yes it does.

I enjoyed Qatar, but some of the stadiums had a longish walk from the bus; I did one 35 min walk in 26 degrees and almost needed an oxygen tent when I got there. In June/ July ( which amazingly was the original FIFA plan) the temperature could have been 40 degrees or more, basically non- survivable for a 50+ European. So expect Nov/Dec.

Of course, Saudi is a much bigger country as well, so there'd be a lot more travelling involved for the fans. 

10 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

I looked up Saudi Pro League and found this video that made some interesting points... On the dictatorship ruling its populace it suggests that it is one of their big considerations but there is currently a football culture in Saudi where nobody cares about any of the clubs except the 4 biggest ones.

That's probably the video I saw to draw my conclusion from, it's a great channel.