IGNORED

John Eustace

Ziderarmy

16 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Alternatively Andy will be seen as Nigel's man so will have a target on his back.

After all the hierarchy didn't like him being selected by Nigel so when we have a head coach who will do as he is told by Tinnion Andy may not get much game time.

This is more likely IMO.

He was NPs man and along with James will need/want to move on ?

55 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

The owners don’t want anyone having that much power again as that would be a threat to their way of doing things. Which in the case of running a football club is doing it badly!

You've reminded me of something Pearson once said. He said something along the lines of "this club has it's own way of doing things" 

Pearson has changed a hell of a lot of things here on the playing side but was unable to do much about the rotten culture within the organisation who refuse to change from their ways.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

21 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

What if Pearson told King that he couldn't start his coaching career in a better place, boyhood club in an area he knows well with good facilities?

He might but I don't see that having a positive effect on Tinnion's decision making. Possibly the opposite in fact.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

We are back to the Swansea model.  And interesting that you mentioned Laudrup!

I have no probs with that at all.  As you say recruitment of players can be more efficient.  Getting the right manager in future (whether sacked or poached) shouldn’t be hard, it’s not like we are specifying a unique way of playing is it.

My only issue with this model is that it only works so long as you are successful (relatively speaking) WBA had a similar philosophy but as soon as it looked like they were in trouble they threw it in the bin and brought in managers like Pulis etc etc, Swansea have also flip flopped away from the model multiple times, when they were struggling in the prem, they have now replaced Martin with Duff who plays a very different style. 

There is no harm to have a rough philosophy, but it can't be too rigid as unless you can go and and simply buy who you want ala City, Liverpool etc you may have to change style to stay up, get up or whatever the situation presents. 

Hopefully with Tinnion as Technical director as you say that can bridge the gap between manager and baord and help to build some consistentcy in terms of recruitment etc without just giving a coach some players that they may not want. 

Just now, chinapig said:

He might but I don't see that having a positive effect on Tinnion's decision making. Possibly the opposite in fact.

As far as I am aware the discussions on Sunday and Monday were very much along the lines that it was time for King to move into coaching and away from playing. Theoretically he has been a coach for 18 months now but I think this is the first week he has actually taken any sessions. 

• Thanks 1

Just a feeling but think he's probably spoken to us and seen the constraints and said no thank you. 

Derby wanted him prior as Warne is on the edge there and he just got the 'clubs backing' the other day. Maybe they asked him if he would be interested but he's been speaking to others like us, Millwall etc. 

An agent has probably given news to the press that he's spoken to us hence the rush to get that headline first. 

Think Derby might now be interested again if Eustace has seen what's going on with us and decided against it with Jones seemingly going Millwall and our lot being basketcases.

He also has links up there too. He's probably the best available too which is a shame. 

On to the next yes-man, it seems.

The thing with Eustace, he's quite a benign appointment. Confusing as to why we would switch from Nigel, but the appointment itself wouldn't elicit any further anger.

The same cannot be said for many others in the frame - in the order of controversy, Jones - Lampard - Rowett. The fans do not want these men.

16 minutes ago, Jeez said:

Local paper suggesting Eustace is not even in the running.

I think we're most likely going for Luke Williams and trying to sort out compo for Notts Co

Amongst all the angst , the idea that we have 16 pages ( and counting) on the controversial new apparent appointment of John Eustace is quite something.

9 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You've reminded me of something Pearson once said. He said something along the lines of "this club has it's own way of doing things" 

Pearson has changed a hell of a lot of things here on the playing side but was unable to do much about the rotten culture within the organisation who refuse to change from their ways.

Yes, I remember that and I think he also added "It's a strange Club in many ways."  What I liked is that he changed his references from "this Club" to "we" and "us' in recent times meaning he had addressed the issues with Club spirit, team (in the broadest sense on and off the pitch) togetherness and other values such as working hard that go with his management. 

As he changed things I am sure he felt an increasing affinity with the Club and brought fans along with him.  He certainly wasn't an egotist and I note in his statement he was dismissive of pecking orders and referenced the 'Bristol City family'.  In the absence of any owner or CEO communication, he made fans still feel connected.   

I think Tinnion and the owners will want a pliable coach rather than one who is his "own man."  I hope I am wrong as that's a sure recipe for an uninspiring appointment.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Think @Ivorguy might be talking about the report from the Post? They mentioned Tinnion was there but so was Ali Hines, not sure if we can take that as evidence that Tinnion was in charge.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/francois-bristol-city-u21-watford-8874152

Give that the City top dogs have a reputation for confounding the fans by picking from within the club, Ladies and Gentlemen I give you our next manager Brian Tinnion!

If he is on the two person interview panel he will get at least 50% of the vote, he has experience and would not rock the boat.  He has been coached in interview techniques by none other than Jon Lansdown, so he has the complete skill set.  Get yer bets on!!

Edited by Bat Fastard

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Give that the City top dogs have a reputation for confounding the fans by picking from within the club, Ladies and Gentlemen I give you our next manager Brian Tinnion!

If he is on the two person interview panel he will get at least 50% of the vote, he has experience and would not rock the boat.  He has been coached in interview techniques by none other than Jon Lansdown, so he has the complete skill set.  Get yer bets on!!

I know you're kidding but he is indeed taking on much of the role Nigel played.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pheasant plucker said:

As always, I agree with the vast majority of what you say Dave.

But...I think with the previous guys you quoted, for varying reasons, most fans, at the time felt these decisions were on balance, at least valid, at the time. I don't always think the appointments have been right in the past, but generally still had a positive feeling about them as it was a "fresh start", new broom and all that. 

This time because NP's tenure has ended prematurely - he was absolutely set up to fail his employers vision of success (promotion!? none the less) and we all think we know why.

It's difficult to get excited, nothing to do with the new HC, just that he will be one disagreement with SL away from funds being withdrawn, and silence from the club again. That, I'm afraid is just a feeling I haven't really felt before when were recruting. 

Oh, I am quite happy to try a new approach by the way, so its not just a better the devil thing, I could even see some of the ideas Benny L had were very interesting! (Yes, I've been a season "ticket" holder that long! ) 😄 

I hope by Saturday I'll have a bit more of a feel good vibe, but I'll still join in with any NP and critical SL chants!

And like the other post, I actually completely agree with you. 

• Thanks 1