IGNORED

John Eustace

Ziderarmy

16 hours ago, Kimpton said:

Don’t think Pearson was the best man imo I think he flattered to deceive on the pitch and we didn’t threaten enough at home. A lot of people are very pro Pearson on her and I understand that I just think he was a tad overrated on the pitch. 

Kimpton bullshit all day long

Doo-dah! Doo-dah!

Bristol Sport is where you belong

Oh, doo-dah day!

• Like 1

My own preference is for John Eustace as I was impressed with what he was doing at Brum and previously as Stevenage.  Mark Robins, maybe as he has done well at Coventry on a shoestring and he will be lucky to get even a shoestring if he comes here.

My guess is that Eustace felt that he could not do the job without a bit more than a bootlace but Robins might come if the money and conditions are right.

I can't say that any of the others who have been mentioned or are apparently in the frame appeal to me at all and I don't see anyone as good as Nige likely to be joining us.

Having shot ourselves in the foot on numerous occasions we have shot ourselves in both feet this time.  No wonder Nige is walking around on crutches.

• Like 3

• Admin
2 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

My own preference is for John Eustace as I was impressed with what he was doing at Brum and previously as Stevenage.  Mark Robins, maybe as he has done well at Coventry on a shoestring and he will be lucky to get even a shoestring if he comes here.

My guess is that Eustace felt that he could not do the job without a bit more than a bootlace but Robins might come if the money and conditions are right.

I can't say that any of the others who have been mentioned or are apparently in the frame appeal to me at all and I don't see anyone as good as Nige likely to be joining us.

Having shot ourselves in the foot on numerous occasions we have shot ourselves in both feet this time.  No wonder Nige is walking around on crutches.

Cov's owners have backed him with a £20m spending spree. What is it about Austerity City that you think might appeal to him?

I've seen some say that he may have developed a soft spot for us after having a successful loan spell with us when a player. Would this trump 7 years and numerous promotions at Coventry?

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

30 minutes ago, Ian M said:

I know you're kidding but he is indeed taking on much of the role Nigel played.

I reckon that Tinns is more suited to coaching than managing and Nigel was probably more at home managing.  If Tinns took the job, it may be cheaper to find a DOF (or something similar) than pay for a new recruit, who would be an unknown quantity.  It may be a long shot, but I wouldn't rule it out. The saving on the wages bill may make this attractive to the bean counters.

I blame the ECB for poaching Richard Gould. The set-up between him, Pearson and Tinnion was a far more equal and stable relationship. And the only one left is Tinman, who suddenly seems to have all of the power, mostly it seems by saying yes to whatever the owners want!

As for who we get as Head Coach, it’s more a case of who I wouldn’t want rather than who I would. And given previous appointments by the Lansdowns (excepting Pearson), I would expect someone who hasn’t managed at this level before. SL remains burnt by the Coppell episode, the last time before Pearson he went for an established manager. (And I don’t include Cotterill because he was Dawe’s suggestion/choice.)

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Gratz260689 said:

I think Coventry will come good, at the moment there just not taking there chances, watched them against us then WBA they should of been 3-0 up at half time in both games, they play great football and press, I’d take Robins if the became available!! 

My mate is a Coventry fan and said they play well but don't convert chances, the thing is we had that same issue and had to resolve it with what we had, Robins spent £9m on a striker who's played 14 games in a team who create a lot of chances but he's scored only 2 goals... I mean I see that as Robins spending big and getting nothing for it, he won't even get that option here. 

21 hours ago, Ian M said:

Cov's owners have backed him with a £20m spending spree. What is it about Austerity City that you think might appeal to him?

I've seen some say that he may have developed a soft spot for us after having a successful loan spell with us when a player. Would this trump 7 years and numerous promotions at Coventry?

A loan spell of 5 bloody weeks!

I read someone post on here “he loves the area” he was effing hardly here.

Robins isn’t going to leave Coventry & after what he achieved last season I would be amazed if they sacked him just because they’re struggling at present.

Pretty sure they were still bottom half at Xmas last season yet made the playoff final. 

Their fans & owner will remember this.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Agree with 95% of your post.

GJ was ok with third and fourth division players but as soon those who had played at Championship and above, including internationals, arrived he was sadly lacking. Bullying that level of player is not the way to get best out of them and so it was a slow downhill slide after losing to Hull. If we'd gone up it would have been a very rapid decline!

I think this is a good point. Some coaches excel in League 1 or 2 as the standard there fits with their experience. When you move up a league or 2 the tactics are more advanced, the players are more talented but also more egotistic and the game is far faster.  I think that to some extent Cotts fell into this category.

As much as I truly admire and respect what NP did for us, I always felt that his experience was formed 20 years ago and tactically he was very basic and old fashioned. As such we became very easy to play against particularly at home where we have to make the running.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

On 31/10/2023 at 20:02, Kimpton said:

Don’t think Pearson was the best man imo I think he flattered to deceive on the pitch and we didn’t threaten enough at home. A lot of people are very pro Pearson on her and I understand that I just think he was a tad overrated on the pitch. 

I wonder how much many fans' reactions are as much/more anti-Lansdown rather than pro-Pearson?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I wonder how much many fans' reactions are as much/more anti-Lansdown rather than pro-Pearson?

I’ve intimated similar this season.  A combination of factors have pushed SL down and Nige up….and you know I’m a Nige fan, but I do think some of his popularity has come by SL becoming less popular.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve intimated similar this season.  A combination of factors have pushed SL down and Nige up….and you know I’m a Nige fan, but I do think some of his popularity has come by SL becoming less popular.

If you look at the dismissals of Holden and Johnson, they were deserved based on form and the fanbase was pretty much in agreement with the sackings. The sackings were also for clear failure on the pitch. I think the big difference this time, was the vast majority of fans approved with what NP was doing, and there is sufficient evidence that a big part of his dismissal was down to internal politics. That has led to a real downer on a owner, who lets face it, looks like he has checked out, and for some NP has become a club legend - which is a bit weird. So yeah - Lansdown isnt winning a popularity vote against Pearson thats for sure.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So much of the SL hate is self inflicted. If the board knew how to communicate, this would be so different. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think it’s also due to the Pearson sacking nicely summarising most fans’ issues with the current ownership in one sacking.

- failure to deal with more difficult personalities

- wanting his own people in positions of influence 

- the ineptness of video statements from 2 people who meet the above criteria

- poor comms throughout with inconsistent messaging including about the entire club-wide approach to ‘identity’

- trademark aloofness and the perception of arrogance and disdain for fan wishes

- appearing to never learn from previous mistakes

- selling assets and not allowing the manager to replace them

All of these factors are present in the perfect storm of the Pearson sacking. And it’s amplified by the fact Pearson was always so frank with fans in contrast.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 5
  • Flames 5

5 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

If you look at the dismissals of Holden and Johnson, they were deserved based on form and the fanbase was pretty much in agreement with the sackings. The sackings were also for clear failure on the pitch. I think the big difference this time, was the vast majority of fans approved with what NP was doing, and there is sufficient evidence that a big part of his dismissal was down to internal politics. That has led to a real downer on a owner, who lets face it, looks like he has checked out, and for some NP has become a club legend - which is a bit weird. So yeah - Lansdown isnt winning a popularity vote against Pearson thats for sure.

You have to think that there were major problems behind the scenes in the working relationships. There would have been targets for performance/league position set before the season and those obviously have not been met (rightly or wrongly). Massive injury list, getting worse. 

In time more will come out but I have a feeling they have been trying to "manage out" NP ever since that strange Radio Bristol 6pm interview was hastily arranged and all the media guys were called to the HPC and then Gould said practically nothing on air.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The problem is that because of the anti Lansdown feelings, it seems that most fans seem to be opposed to the appointment of "anyone that's not Nigel Pearson"!

Pearson was the right man for the job he took on, as his personality ( that many found a bit abrasive ) and experience made him just right for what he had to do. I was also pleasantly surprised by him bringing through academy players, although some of this was borne out of necessity.Having gone through such a tough period while the financial issues were resolved I would have liked to see him given the chance to benefit from the groundwork.

Having said that, I didn't see NP as a long term solution, and in particular because his tactical approach never seemed to address our weak home form and results - something that I think is key for any team looking to challenge at the top end of the table.

As far as a new appointment and fans' negative response to just about anyone suggested or linked to the job, I wonder what the reaction would be if we were considering a guy whose sole managerial experience is managing U18s, U21s and assistant manager, albeit at a premier league club, and pairing him with a proven "bit of a wide boy CEO" - probably along the lines of "no good for us as we need someone with experience of managing in the championship".

The club that made that appointment currently sit 2nd in the table! 

• Flames 1

14 minutes ago, downendcity said:

The problem is that because of the anti Lansdown feelings, it seems that most fans seem to be opposed to the appointment of "anyone that's not Nigel Pearson"!

Pearson was the right man for the job he took on, as his personality ( that many found a bit abrasive ) and experience made him just right for what he had to do. I was also pleasantly surprised by him bringing through academy players, although some of this was borne out of necessity.Having gone through such a tough period while the financial issues were resolved I would have liked to see him given the chance to benefit from the groundwork.

Having said that, I didn't see NP as a long term solution, and in particular because his tactical approach never seemed to address our weak home form and results - something that I think is key for any team looking to challenge at the top end of the table.

As far as a new appointment and fans' negative response to just about anyone suggested or linked to the job, I wonder what the reaction would be if we were considering a guy whose sole managerial experience is managing U18s, U21s and assistant manager, albeit at a premier league club, and pairing him with a proven "bit of a wide boy CEO" - probably along the lines of "no good for us as we need someone with experience of managing in the championship".

The club that made that appointment currently sit 2nd in the table! 

Pretty much my thoughts too.  Re long-term solution, I’d have thought it was better to succession-plan, than sack-hire, but hey-ho.

• Like 1