IGNORED

Frank Lampard

BCFC1512

18 minutes ago, Spike said:

If ever the board has had to get an appointment spot on perfect, it's now and Lampard would be nothing more than a PR stunt that will ultimately backfire. 

I don't think Lampard will happen, because if the owner doesn’t want to release funds to ensure we have two experienced goalkeepers at the club, he probably won't want to release funds to pay a Lampard-sized salary to his manager (don't think Lamps would accept being "head coach"). 

But your post is spot on, especially this paragraph.  

I would hope Lansdown would have learned from his "marquee signing" of David James, that big names do not always equate with big success here. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Did well at Chelsea first time, on the whole. Started well then got found out a bit

Failed at Derby

Failed at Everton 

Failed at Chelsea

Cant see it happening anyway thankfully. 

Plus if it did I wonder how long it would be before he tells Lansdown to poke it-

Another Steve Coppell anyone???🤣

4 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Lampard didn't fail at Derby, took them to the playoff final in his first season. He wasn't ready to manage Chelsea it came too soon and Everton is a basket case anyway

I keep thinking though when Nige was appointed he was never mentioned once on OTIB despite the usual ITK posters saying a deal was imminent with candidate X/y/z

He didn't do dreadfully there either, to be fair. In his first season they finished fourth and reached the FA Cup Final

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

What's crazy is that some fans think having a big name as a player is just as good as having a big name for managing football clubs when it comes to appointing managers. 

Are we bigger than Frank, no, more people will know Frank Lampard than Bristol City, that's a fair statement. However, take Lampards achievements and statistics as a manager, then apply a generic name that noone knows, then put that CV on the table and see if he gets a second look... 

That's quite the statement...

I don't believe more people know Frank Lampard than Bristol City at all

One metric, Lampard 8m google results, City 446m google results

1 hour ago, DaveInSA said:

At some point a manager who wins something has to win something. He may not have won something before. It doesn't mean that they won't win anything in the future.

Is automatic promotion in second place winning - nope. It's coming second.

Fred Ford 1965

Alan Dicks 1976

Terry Cooper 1984

Joe Jordan 1990

John Ward 1997

Gary Johnson 2007…

They won nothing?

1 hour ago, citywest30 said:

I agree with you that but at least it's a name that would bring a bit of excitement. 

Anyway, I quoted more because of your username. I grew up in Wokingham and must have been the only City fan living there and had to endure Glory hunter Reading fans as it was in their rise in the early 90s.

As per my name also lived in Wokingham until moving away in 2011

2 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

How do you know he had the clubs best interests at heart, were you walking the mendips with him, for all we know he wanted a shiny new pre retirement contract to see him out (like everyone would )

Form changes yeah whos to say the next manager form won't change for the better. Ou may be better off binning city and supporting pearsons next team if he doesn't retire due to health.

I mean if he wanted the contract he would have kissed up to Jon Lansdown and not been irritated that he couldn't get investment to improve the squad. I think after all the time he'd been here and all the restrictions that had been put on him the reason he stood up to the board was because he knew that we need investment into players and it want coming. 

I have no doubts that Pearson could have just kept doing what he was doing and got a new contract by keeping his mouth shut and towing the line. That's not Pearson though, he wants to improve, he wants to get better and ultimately that's what cost him the job, how desire to see us improve and the boards inept view on football was restricting it, as per usual. 

Pearson is gone, we're not a Premier League team, it's the board who keep talking about the Premier League, Pearson's focus was on improving a little each time and that the Prem would come when the football was right. The only consistent in the club not achieving it's goal of Premier League football is the board and it's decisions. No manager is taking us up because the board prevents it whilst saying it's their goal and our fans just accept their **** ups and keep dancing along to the same tune. 

Since Pearson has gone it's already happening, people are accepting he's gone and already forgetting why we're looking for a new manager in the first place. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Lampard is well spoken and had a GCSE in Latin. Go around any office and you will find many people far sharper than Frank. He seems like a nice bloke but he is not exactly a PhD brainbox.

It's supposedly 150 and in the top 0.5% with Einstein coming in at 160 

18 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Whats crazy is the fact that some of our fans think we are too good for lampard😂

Newsflash this isn't a big club. One day I pray we will be

Too big? no one said that?

Is he a good manager? has he done anything other than fail? no.

Nothing to do with club size.

21 hours ago, Zuni said:

The one name that truly scares me.

Has done absolutely nothing but confirm that great players rarely make great coaches.

The best club manager   of recent times................Guardiola?  And Zidane, Trapatonni, Deschamps, Capello, and as someone mentioned already Dalgleish. But apart  from one of the greats Jock Stein (The only manager to win a European Cup with a team made up of players all from their home city?)  No other Brits of any consequence I can think of?     Going back a fair bit?  Alf Ramsey  Ha!

16 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Lampard didn't fail at Derby, took them to the playoff final in his first season. He wasn't ready to manage Chelsea it came too soon and Everton is a basket case anyway

I keep thinking though when Nige was appointed he was never mentioned once on OTIB despite the usual ITK posters saying a deal was imminent with candidate X/y/z

Context - they finished 6th - in the play-offs the season before. So he didnt "take" them anywhere - they were already ay that level.

Even with chelsea loans, he couldnt improve them at all.

Just now, maxjak said:

The best club manager   of recent times................Guardiola?  And Zidane, Trapatonni, Deschamps, Capello, and as someone mentioned already Dalgleish. But apart  from one of the greats Jock Stein (The only manager to win a European Cup with a team made up of players all from their home city?)  No other Brits of any consequence I can think of?     Going back a fair bit?  Alf Ramsey  Ha!

Scottish chap. Man Utd. Quite good

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Getting a top 4 spot and to a play off final is an achievement, whether you like it or not. No, it’s not winning a World Cup or Champions league.

29 minutes ago, Riaz said:

No actually i do like him.

But people get blinded by playing careers.

Great player. Good character.

Forget that though. Judge him, on his career as a manager/head coach. Because thats what he'll be coming to do.

And there isnt anything to suggest he'll be a success.

This is EXACTLY the type of appointment i dread and we need to avoid.

You’ve already said that he took Derby to the play off final, but then belittled that feat by saying they were in the play offs the year before. Just because they were top 6 one year, doesn’t give them a devine right to be there the next. So I would say he did well at Derby.

You said he was lucky in his first spell at Chelsea., because he had a great academy to choose from. How many Chelsea managers have used that academy ( yes I know he was under a transfer embargo). Players like Mount, James, Abraham any other young players, blossomed under his management. To get 3rd in the league and to  the FA Cup Final, after losing your best player and bringing through the kids, to me , is a success.

I could understand the logic in his second spell ( if they were gonna get rid of Potter, which was pointless), if they couldn’t get Pottechino at that time, then give it to a safe pair of hands. Unfortunately, the rot had already set in in the dressing room.

Everton, we’ll none did well there!

Hes just as credible an appointment as anyone else that’s supposedly in the frame.

6 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

That's quite the statement...

I don't believe more people know Frank Lampard than Bristol City at all

One metric, Lampard 8m google results, City 446m google results

Ask a foreign football fan of they know Frank Lampard and they'll probably say "yeah, England player", ask the same person of they know Bristol City and it'll more than likely be "who?" or "oh I've heard that name before" but they won't know us. 

Google search results take into account any mention and being as you're comparing a football club to a sunfish player it'll obviously show a huge number to the football club because if a story is written and we're mentioned it's adding to that number. As a club were going to be included in so many more stories or articles than a singular player. 

Google search results do not represent how popular or well known something is, in fact of you don't know what something is what do you do, you Google it, so you even include into that number people from other counties googling "who are Bristol City" of they hear us being mentioned as Frank Lampard new club, that raises the club number for searches without raising Lampard, proving my point that iys irrelevant to the statement I made. 

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

Context - they finished 6th - in the play-offs the season before. So he didnt "take" them anywhere - they were already ay that level.

Even with chelsea loans, he couldnt improve them at all.

You do realise you don’t automatically stay in the same position just because you finished there the year before? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

What managers on our list haven't "failed" before, why can't he become a good manager  Holloway is a shit manager yet he done well with Blackpool. It could be a perfect fit, me you or anyone else does not know that but to simply write it off like you definitely know he will fail is mad

• Like 2

Just now, Henry said:

Getting a top 4 spot and to a play off final is an achievement, whether you like it or not. No, it’s not winning a World Cup or Champions league.

He inherited players from an incredible academy... and got lucky with that... i mean he's not done anything since, other than fail - so it looks like he was forunate to inherit exceptionally good young players

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

Can't see this happening now Roy has gone all-in. Just as well as I suspect it wouldn't last long as the Lansdowns have proven they aren't the right kind of owners for a high profile manager.

While that is true, they strike me as loving that TV limelight . Frank would supply plenty of that, if not a winning team.

I am not a Frank fan boy, nor any of the others. Nige was the first one I really wanted in, but even then because I doubted Steve had the backbone to cope I didn't think that would happen. Took time , but still.

My thoughts are... 
Cotterill underwhelmed = Brilliant
Coppel excited = did a runner
Jordan (2nd coming) excited = damp squib
LJ Underwhelmed = rollercoaster
GJ Underwhelmed = exciting
My point being, you never know what you will get. With the owners, the (invisible & pointless) Board and Manager it will take a massively bit of luck to get them all working together. 

• Like 3