IGNORED

Frank Lampard

BCFC1512

34 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is a fair point but there have been some terrible decisions and wasted opportunities.

2008 totally stands out for me, January 2008..A sliding door moment? It isn't that easy no, but Stoke pushed for it in January 2008.

There was bad luck, 6 years from stadium plan at Ashton Vale, we had to slide to Plan B..October 2013.

NP and his staff just the latest example, if there was a time to back and continue building it was now.

After 20-25 years it can go stale. There has been misfortune, there have been bad decisions but it feels like Bristol City and the Lansdowns have run their course.

I should also add, the game like the market moves quickly. SL and his strategy looked sound on one level in Spring 2023 but for 2 subsequent events.

1) The FA liberalised work permits..unexpected.

2) Championship clubs begin spending again, in part spending next year's TV money in the here and now.

I do think they have possibly missed one opportunity to many, and made one misstep to far to bring it back round to have another run at it I agree. I understand the lack of faith and belief. but I don’t say it to be hyperbolic or out of frustration with the anti lansdown rhetoric, I am genuinely and deeply concerned about the shape and form that investment or a takeover would come in. The world of football ownership is overrun with charlatans and snake oil salesmen. I just worry what this could bring to our football club - this concerns me way more than a bungling albeit largely well intentioned family based in guernsey.

the disintegration and about turn on the Pearson relationship and strategy is so curious, we really did look like we had settled into nige continuing to settle the ship while new investment was sought. Was the mediocre football not selling the club well enough, is this another tilt to try and get up and the club to have a lasting lansdown future or again to make the club have more value? I really don’t know 

Your point 1 is interesting, not something I’d heard before - could you elaborate and on how it might have affected us? 

Edited by Fjmcity

23 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

I do think they have possibly missed one opportunity to many, and made one misstep to far to bring it back round to have another run at it I agree. I understand the lack of faith and belief. but I don’t say it to be hyperbolic or out of frustration with the anti lansdown rhetoric, I am genuinely and deeply concerned about the shape and form that investment or a takeover would come in. The world of football ownership is overrun with charlatans and snake oil salesmen. I just worry what this could bring to our football club - this concerns me way more than a bungling albeit largely well intentioned family based in guernsey.

the disintegration and about turn on the Pearson relationship and strategy is so curious, we really did look like we had settled into nige continuing to settle the ship while new investment was sought. Was the mediocre football not selling the club well enough, is this another tilt to try and get up and the club to have a lasting lansdown future or again to make the club have more value? I really don’t know 

Your point 1 is interesting, not something I’d heard before - could you elaborate and on how it might have affected us? 

It might not have affected us on my final point, but this liberalisation meant that more affordable foreign imports were more readily available. Think the criteria was liberalised but @Spreadsheet Boy may well know more.

Not so much affected us directly but various competitors I reckon would have taken advantage. We stick to this plan, possibly putting us at a relative competitive didvavantage..thinking those who might sign foreign players with less profile or International appearances but still decent.

Obviously sticking to the financial side when the market had clearly gone up a gear, perhaps post the new TV deal kicking in summer 2024 May have seen us slip back from where we expected be too.

All IMO of course.

First 2 paragraphs I agree with a lot, but provided SL sold to someone who is sensible. May win back the fans if Manning goes well, pushes us on.

Also I believe the football would have improved with more budget, time and injuries returning if this was a factor.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Fjmcity said:

SL put too high a price on what is on offer and it included too much baggage for that price.  The football was not an issue.  The “opportunity” was buying a championship club and it becoming a PL club and the money to be made once there.  I do wonder if JL has had a change of heart on the back of not being able to shift the club.  As a crass statement, if he’s gonna inherit it (the crass bit) why not try and do something positive with it.

basically you can have 4 foreign players that don’t have to pass the points system.  It opens up new markets, cheaper markets, e.g. A-League, Ligue 2 in France, etc.  if you’d anticipated this or got lucky and were already looking in that market you could steal a march.  Sunderland signed a CB for £300k from Oz for example.  Boro did similar.

My simplified view ⬆️⬆️⬆️

13 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

Know this is from Monday but has struck a chord. Imagine sinking that much of your own money into something each year, although all relative to wealth and getting such a poisonous and obnoxious set of fans in return. ouch 

Steve seems to get more positives from the rugby fans. Maybe he prefers to hang out with them rather than the City crowd. Can't say I'd blame him if so, he's only human and we all like to be appreciated.

14 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

Know this is from Monday but has struck a chord. Imagine sinking that much of your own money into something each year, although all relative to wealth and getting such a poisonous and obnoxious set of fans in return. ouch 

Objectively, you are right. But when you say, paraphrasing "It's my money I'll do what I want" then you have made your own bed so to speak. 

• Like 1