IGNORED

Frank Lampard

BCFC1512

12 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

I have not read through all the pages so apologies if already covered.

My view is that Lampard / Johnson (unfortunate name!) would be a better option than the likes of Eustace/Rowett/Jones. 

I don't see Lampard taking interference from Tins, or the Lansdowns for one. Also, his profile will raise our profile (even if we start getting referred to as FLBC).

So as much as I'm still appalled by the decision to sack Pearson, I'd be content to give FL a chance to prove himself.

For me Lampard is the best of a bad bunch. Would certainly prefer him over someone like Luke Williams. 

With Lampard at least I can see what the club would be trying to do. But it is a risk and I'd still rather have Pearson.

On some of the podcasts Lampard has done he has explained how he's worked with what he's got, worked in collaboration with recruitment and worked with players that he was simply given. All 3 of those things are likely here.

• Like 5

In the last day or so Jon Lansdown and Brian Tinnion have been wheeled out to outline what the club expects from the new Head Coach. But suddenly a high profile, celebrity coach has shown an interest in the job. Who would bet against those plans being amended to accommodate Frank Lampard ‘s conditions?

We know SL like’s anything that gets the club more exposure, such as David James signing. As has been stated elsewhere on the forum, a higher profile could attract interest in buying the club especially if we start finding some form when the injured list starts falling.

I’m not anti-Lampard, in fact i don’t really have an opinion on the next Head Coach, in some respects FL could be a good appointment in terms of getting Steve Lansdown to loosen the purse strings. I just want this process sorted out as quickly as possible so we can give the squad some stability and the new man can see what there is to work with.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

Sorry but I'm fed up of this rhetoric, I won't back Lampard and I don't think any fan who thinks he's incapable of the job should either. 

"it's not Lampard fault"... No it's not, but if he's got an ounce of common sense he would look into the club, what's happened and understand that is the job he's accepting, one where the fans already had a manager they wanted and the board took him away, the same board that would be appointing him to do as they say. 

I've spent years and years backing the new man because I believed that board were looking out for the best interests of the club, by sacking Pearson because they had an issue with him they showed that their own feelings matter more than what's best for the club and the fans. Cheering on an inferior replacement isn't going to achieve anything other than to show the board they can do as they please and the fans will do exactly what the board want them to do. 

If ever the board has had to get an appointment spot on perfect, it's now and Lampard would be nothing more than a PR stunt that will ultimately backfire. 

‘Wouldn’t choose him’ I get (whether I agree or not)

’Won’t back him’ sorry but I just don’t get. Supporting Bristol City means supporting the team, the players, the manager whoever, 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Can't tell if you're trolling, ignorant, ill informed or genuinely that stupid.

He got rid of 22 players and signed 14. In the space of 18 months with a net spend of £4-5m, removed a toxic culture, and won the League.

It was not "in place for him like Raneiri's was", the only players in the first team that won the League that were at the club under Sven before Pearson's return were Schmiechel, Konchesky, King, and Nugent. *And Wes Morgan - dating on the season overview for when he joined in my resource was wrong.

Sorry to everyone else for derailing this thread.

So the core of their successful side was bought by Sven? Cheers mate the point I made. He also used the loan market which he hates too. And to get rid of 22 players, isn’t that something that probably needed done? I mean forget the fact he got rid of 8 players net over 3-4 seasons. Isn’t that much really is it? 

You lot want to talk about NP like he is Pep. He was a fine manager there and he was fine here. He had success off a massive backing. If you want to say his culture helped Leicester I probably can’t argue. Their fans revere him, based off that success. However, I think he probably gets too much credit for the title winning team. He had proven what he could do with that side which is about scrape staying up. Ranieri come in brought in players(off memory) like Cambiasso and Kante. 

And no need to raise your blood pressure mate. All be fine tomorrow 😘

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Br1stolCityBoy said:

One thing with FL. He won’t be frightened to bring in decent loan signings unlike NP. 

We cannot afford them - what do you think a Prem loan costs? Millions, that's what.

These days we're shopping for players in Carlisle, Oxford and Luton - with wages to match. So that's where the next manager will come from too - cos he knows that market and is used to budget constraints. Unlike Lampard.

30 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

I don't see Lampard taking interference from Tins, or the Lansdowns for one. Also, his profile will raise our profile (even if we start getting referred to as FLBC).

I don’t know about that. 
His 3 jobs so far have been working under very high profile and allegedly quite ‘hands-on’ owners. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

We cannot afford them - what do you think a Prem loan costs? Millions, that's what.

These days we're shopping for players in Carlisle, Oxford and Luton - with wages to match. So that's where the next manager will come from too - cos he knows that market and is used to budget constraints. Unlike Lampard.

Frank, or whoever gets the job, won't be shopping anywhere.  That will be a certain Mr. B Tinnion.

17 minutes ago, downendcity said:

He's rightly remembered as a great manager.

However, it's often forgotten ( especially by those that think football only began in 1992!) that without his career ending injury at only 29, Clough would probably have become one of this countries greatest ever goal scorers.

At the time he retired from playing he had scored over 250 goals in around 270 games, but had only 2 England caps!

He was a fantastic player and to do what he did with two relatively unfashionable teams was incredible, by far the greatest Englishman never to manage his country

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Please refer to my post last night on page 10. 
Derby did have a decent team. But they lost their strike force (Vydra, Jerome, Weimann), a stalwart midfielder (Ledley) and a reliable full back (Baird). 
It wasn’t a straight forward matter that they’d finish in the same position the next year. 
You also put a lot of impetus on the Mount & Tomori signings. They were 19 and were new to this level of football. Good players, yes. But still virgins at this level. I assume that us having Scott & Semenyo last year means we should have made the playoffs, because clearly 2 premier league players should make all the difference? 

Anyway, it’s not gonna be Lampard. I know someone who has applied for the job who has worked here before. And I think it might be him. 

You and @Riaz alike both neglect Harry Wilson.

He was a stellar loan signing for tbis level at this time...early 20s, just getting going. 15 goals in the League from the wing, or wide areas whatever you want to call it.

Tomori, Mount, Wilson

Vydra, Weimann and Jerome left but in came at that time decent strikers in the form of Marriott and Waghorn. Ledley left granted.

Derby had a Category One Academy of their own too, still do somehow despite their near  bankruptcy.

He did okay but nothing amazing IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

A good read for all those of you that want Lampard as manager. As I alluded to earlier he is not a good man manager, shuns players, throws others under the bus and is tactically inept.

https://theathletic.com/2298337/2021/01/25/lampards-chelsea-sacking-tension-with-marina-unhappy-players-and-secret-job-offers/

8 minutes ago, numbeast said:

In the last day or so Jon Lansdown and Brian Tinnion have been wheeled out to outline what the club expects from the new Head Coach. But suddenly a high profile, celebrity coach has shown an interest in the job. Who would bet against those plans being amended to accommodate Frank Lampard ‘s conditions?

Lampard plays a 433 high pressing game. Lampard considers himself a coach and he likes to work with and develop young players. 

That fits the brief the club have set so I'm not sure it's correct to say we'd only be appointing him because of his high profile.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You and @Riaz alike both neglect Harry Wilson.

He was a stellar loan signing for tbis level at this time...early 20s, just getting going. 15 goals in the League from the wing, or wife areas whatever you want to call it.

Tomori, Mount, Wilson

Vydra, Weimann and Jerome left but in came at that time decent strikers in the form of Marriott and Waghorn. Ledley left granted.

Derby had a Category One Academy of their own too, still do somehow despite their near  bankruptcy.

He did okay but nothing amazing IMO.

15 gols from the Wife areas.  Must've been coached by John Terry.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, marmite said:

Frank, or whoever gets the job, won't be shopping anywhere.  That will be a certain Mr. B Tinnion.

Correct. Tinnion has gone on record as saying that our shopping list will be from the lower leagues, with youthful players who have a point to prove, and have played a great deal of games and looking to step up a level.

3 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Cant wait for this to be shut down by Bristol live, just for us to do the same thing with both Luke Williams and Liam manning. 4 large rumours, 4 shortened odds. One new HC. Curtis Fleming. 

Given up fantasising that the board will make decent decisions anymore.  

Piercy hasn't shut it down. Instead he's gone on to discuss Lampard which further suggests there may well be something in this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Correct. Tinnion has gone on record as saying that our shopping list will be from the lower leagues, with youthful players who have a point to prove, and have played a great deal of games and looking to step up a level.

At least their experience will be useful next season or the one after.

4 minutes ago, beaverface said:

That is old news, SL's war chest to Frank with a note is to get us promoted.