IGNORED

Frank Lampard

BCFC1512

42 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Love your responses, knowledge and passion but this is harsh. Our 1.2 (1.3 rounded) is this year ie year 3 of the “project”. And it does justify consideration. Haven’t checked but suspect home points per game this season is worse than the average - no club progresses without a home baseline.

Of course there were injuries/ no replacements etc but you are dismissing the fundamental issue - we simply weren’t getting the results our investment warrants.

Fwiw I didn’t want him sacked, but aside from a few games, we have been poor this season (more often than not) mostly in whole halves - see our stats about the number of times we score in both relative to others.

Wasn't he the longest-serving manager in the Championship up to that point? so compared to every other team we had been quite patient if you look at it that way, for what it's worth I agree results have been overall poor, especially at home, there are some mitigating factors and he was dealt a poor hand but it did not surprise me he was sacked, harsh? well, it's a results game and we just weren't getting the results however unlucky he had been with injuries etc. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I've DM'd him. I think he's fine and isn't on some weird fantasy- so many people have fragility but that does not mean they have mental health issues omo.  John Eustace was already appointed according to others.... we had 17 pages discussing it.

In the meantime- I'm ready for some serious chat 🙂 (nothing good on TV)

1)I think LJ was an ok Manager

2)Mark Ashton is a shrewd operator and is why Ipswich are getting to the Premiership

3)Steve Lansdown is the best owner in BCFC history.

Bring it on girls.

I think someone who has attempted suicide a few times has a little more than fragility!!

8 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

This is one of the best posts I’ve come across in a while. I share the same sentiment. I always make an effort to engage with people in a friendly manner, but my responses tend to mirror the tone I receive. It’s puzzling how some individuals choose to adopt an unnecessarily aggressive tone in their interactions; it’s quite perplexing. When I’m answering someone, I try to imagine they’re standing in front of me at a pub, and we’ve just met. It’s amusing how anonymity emboldens people to disregard social norms and be disrespectful. You wouldn’t speak to someone like that in person, so why do it online?

On another note, @Davefevs, I have great admiration for your contributions and your vast knowledge. However, it’s hard not to notice that you sometimes come across as the self-proclaimed expert and forum king, which I found rather amusing when you said that to someone else.

Can’t agree with the bit about Dave, I think he actually tries really hard not to come across as a expert, even though he’s obviously very clued up on football in general.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

This is one of the best posts I’ve come across in a while. I share the same sentiment. I always make an effort to engage with people in a friendly manner, but my responses tend to mirror the tone I receive. It’s puzzling how some individuals choose to adopt an unnecessarily aggressive tone in their interactions; it’s quite perplexing. When I’m answering someone, I try to imagine they’re standing in front of me at a pub, and we’ve just met. It’s amusing how anonymity emboldens people to disregard social norms and be disrespectful. You wouldn’t speak to someone like that in person, so why do it online?

On another note, @Davefevs, I have great admiration for your contributions and your vast knowledge. However, it’s hard not to notice that you sometimes come across as the self-proclaimed expert and forum king, which I found rather amusing when you said that to someone else.

I completely agree, some people get carried away when they’re sat behind their monitor or on their phone. They forget how to be civil and all manners go out the window.

I’ve noticed on here it seems to be a bit cliquey. (Just stating the obvious). And people think that being in the majority or minority has an effect whether you are right or wrong.

Of course, you have to assume people on here have been talking to each other for a long time and there’s some sort of bond there. Which leads to support in opinions and debates of course. But it shouldn’t effect how you talk to and welcome others.

Daves put a lot of effort into this forum with his data and everything else. I think some people, not necessarily him, put him on a pedestal because of this. Then seemingly valuing other people’s opinions differently.

Also I’ve noticed when you make a point of something and a fair one at that. You just get ignored, no acknowledgment or apology. Just look at a page or two back 😂.

All good though, it’s obvious they’ve read it and we move on. Won’t lose no sleep.

• Like 1

Never seen such much outpouring of synthetic grief than on here since Sunday since Nigel collected his remaining contract money. Sure he did a good job making good the wrongs of the previous incumbents, but remember he had a good long run in doing it especially when we are talking football management. But we have a new dawn now, so why look back and ask for him to return, sack the owner and his money, name the Lansdown Stand the Nige Stand, demonstrate, rip up ST's, crayon's, nest eggs, and let's have a poll weighted in favour of the nay sayer's just to cement our already narrow views on the whole thing.

Talk about a load of old fish wifery ...is it any wonder where we are in the football pyramid, reap what you sew ladies, get back to work and support the club. 

No one died.

Edited by cotswoldred2
  • Like 6
  • Facepalm 3

1 minute ago, Glen hump said:

Can’t agree with the bit about Dave, I think he actually tries really hard not to come across as a expert, even though he’s obviously very clued up on football in general.

I think at a time like this emotions do run high even on forums where people can sometimes struggle to get their point across in a way that doesn't offend.
I guess we've all typed something only then to back button it when we've thought whether it was appropriate.
I'm grateful for those genuinely ITK posters who keep us in the loop but actually sometimes the tit bits they throw us do more harm than good as peopl go off on tangents and quite often have their own agendas.
There is no excuse though for some of the responses given out though which are abusive, arrogant and dismissive. It's fine to disagree. That's debate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Never seen such much outpouring of synthetic grief than on here since Sunday since Nigel collected his remaining contract money. Sure he did a good job making good the wrongs of the previous incumbents, but remember he had a good long run in doing it especially when we are talking football management. But we have a new dawn now, so why look back and ask for him to return, sack the owner and his money, name the Lansdown Stand the Nige Stand, demonstrate, rip up ST's, crayon's, nest eggs, and let's have a poll weighted in favour of the nay sayer's just to cement out already narrow views on the whole thing.

Talk about a load of old fish wifery ...is it any wonder where we are in the football pyramid, reap what you sew ladies, get back to work and support the club. 

No one died.

Face palm best you can do? 'course it is because deep down you know what a load of old tripe this is.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

See @Superjack’s reply too.  No certainty from me that he would get us to the PL, because I don’t think time is / was on his side.  But I’ve always said that it wouldn’t surprise me if it was his “succession plan” man that got us over the line.

This was really year 0 in Nige’s reign, sorting out the mess, first year after the foundations have set.  And we discard him after 14 games.  At worst we / they decided after 13 games that Cardiff was all-defining.  I suspect it was actually pre-Coventry, ie Leeds, so 11 games into year 0.  FFS talk about knee-jerk.

What we’ve also done is not allow the succession plan to come to fruition either.  And by succession plan I don’t mean someone in-house already, e.g. Euell, but someone identified, that we’d go straight out and get.

And the issue with that is this appointment is a BRAND NEW SEARCH.

I thought / believed Nige was slowly building us…but on a rock solid base.  That base still remains, thankfully, and although this week’s interviews would have you believe the strategy has changed, ie we need something different from what Nige was building, the strategy hasn’t changed.

WHAT HAS CHANGED?  IS THEY DON’T WANT NIGE EXECUTING IT.

Whatever the reason, don’t like him, ill-health, think he’s shit, whatever, they want someone else

I think what's changed was that the succession plan that had been talked about when NP first got involved, changed on his side from "and then I will find you a new man" to "actually I think I would like to stay and see this through". 

My only evidence of that is memories of early interviews where he talked more like a external consultant than a permanent manager, that has changed radically this summer and this season.

I can see why, we have had many a player that has come to this part of the world and had to be crowbarred out again because it's such a "nice" environment in and out of the club, so why would that be any different for a Manager especially one who is getting towards the end of his career?

He has to my mind performed the radical overhaul of the backroom and "culture" that I hoped that Managers as far back as Gary Johnson would do, but I think that the skill set for that type of work is quite different from those needed working with the team on a day to day footing. 

He has said himself that he doesn't do much on that side, so maybe the club felt his work was done, he did what we needed and now it was time to move to the succession part of the plan that Nigel was supposed to do?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

I remember when Steve Coppell bottled it, everyone when overboard on him, I didn't the missing the pre match friendly in favour of picking his son up from airport was for me the sign he was gonna walk, and said so, he did.

I was of course slated on here.

To blindly follow the pack is never a good thing.

There was a lot more about the coppel debacle that wasn’t made public and for once it wasn’t all the clubs fault.

24 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

I think someone who has attempted suicide a few times has a little more than fragility!!

I clearly missed that bit and (unusually for me) really don't want to go looking.

So, I apologise to you without reservation and given the context of your own family situation I completely understand how your original comment was genuinely well meant.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

I remember when Steve Coppell bottled it, everyone when overboard on him, I didn't the missing the pre match friendly in favour of picking his son up from airport was for me the sign he was gonna walk, and said so, he did.

I’m not sure Coppell “bottled it”. I’d say he saw through it.

Saw through the BS - not Bristol Sport - the bullshit. The Lansdown bullshit.

Even then the ****** was dabbling in things beyond his remit. 

And so it continued. Until now.

The sooner the Lansdowns have their return on their investment - as that was all it ever was - the better.

Might well have an all singing all dancing stadium that’s fit for Take ******* That, but I don’t see any actual footballing success during his reign.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Never seen such much outpouring of synthetic grief than on here since Sunday since Nigel collected his remaining contract money. Sure he did a good job making good the wrongs of the previous incumbents, but remember he had a good long run in doing it especially when we are talking football management. But we have a new dawn now, so why look back and ask for him to return, sack the owner and his money, name the Lansdown Stand the Nige Stand, demonstrate, rip up ST's, crayon's, nest eggs, and let's have a poll weighted in favour of the nay sayer's just to cement out already narrow views on the whole thing.

No one died.

Not that I don't at least party agree with your sentiment, it could just as easily be argued that the reason we are where we are is because we as a fan base are far too accepting of mediocrity and failure. 

How many other clubs would have tolerated Johnson for so long, before widespread discontent forced the clubs hand, Sunderland fans turned on him the second they weren't where they should have been? How many other clubs would have tolerated the continual poor decision from the people running the club without making their feelings known? Can you imagine the reaction of the Brum fans if they'd binned off Eustace with nothing in place to replace him? 

Whilt I can agree thst some of the reactions have been a bit OTT, I don't accept the premise that it's this reaction that leaves us where we are. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

See @Superjack’s reply too.  No certainty from me that he would get us to the PL, because I don’t think time is / was on his side.  But I’ve always said that it wouldn’t surprise me if it was his “succession plan” man that got us over the line.

This was really year 0 in Nige’s reign, sorting out the mess, first year after the foundations have set.  And we discard him after 14 games.  At worst we / they decided after 13 games that Cardiff was all-defining.  I suspect it was actually pre-Coventry, ie Leeds, so 11 games into year 0.  FFS talk about knee-jerk.

What we’ve also done is not allow the succession plan to come to fruition either.  And by succession plan I don’t mean someone in-house already, e.g. Euell, but someone identified, that we’d go straight out and get.

And the issue with that is this appointment is a BRAND NEW SEARCH.

I thought / believed Nige was slowly building us…but on a rock solid base.  That base still remains, thankfully, and although this week’s interviews would have you believe the strategy has changed, ie we need something different from what Nige was building, the strategy hasn’t changed.

WHAT HAS CHANGED?  IS THEY DON’T WANT NIGE EXECUTING IT.

Whatever the reason, don’t like him, ill-health, think he’s shit, whatever, they want someone else.

And it appears they are starting from scratch.

That brings risk.

It’s why I honestly am blasé about who the new appointment is…until they make it.  Fair play to the likes of @Harry investing time researching candidates, and I do think it’s possible to spin each candidate positively.  But until we see new-man operating at our club, it’s a bit of a lottery.  There are obviously some decent candidates on paper, but just like it’s easy to spin positivity, you can quite easily do that on the flip-side too.

So, I’m certainly not saying there is no one else out there, just that I thought we had a guy already doing it.  And I think most of us who think like this, aren’t “Cult Nige” at all, as you’d like to portray as a lazy way to weaken our opinions andmake your opinion appear more valid, it’s just that we think - why are we upsetting / changing what is already here?

That is a perfectly valid rationale and opinion to have, whilst also nit being naive to think he might be the only one. 

Short answer to a shit question: because we were in a huge mess and needed to rebuild.  You don’t deserve a full answer.

See @UncleRed, another poster who has a view, that you’d say is “Cult Nige” but also thinks there are others out there.  On this occasion it’s just his faith in others to get it right.

Your MO appears to be falsely discredit others rather than justify your own stance.

Thats a great post, Dave.

Just a couple of observations on some of the points there.

As you’ve said, something changed. We don’t know the reason, it may be a good reason, maybe not. We may never really know. But the bottom line is that the relationship broke down.

Thats happens, in any business or organisation. CEO falls out with Directors, one senior executive falls out with another: when it happens at that level it’s a huge problem for the organisation and it generally only resolves itself with the departure of one party. And in football that usually only works one way.

So, being entirely pragmatic, and taking all the emotion out of it, the quicker that it’s resolved the better for the organisation - in this case Bristol City. It might not be fair, it might not be the right person who leaves, it might not be what you or I wanted, but it’s still better than the alternative.

And, following on from that, maybe that explains the question we’ve all asked about the failure to release even a small portion of the Scott money. Again, maybe not fair, but pragmatically it makes sense.

Secondly: yes, ‘cult Nigel’ is certainly not something I’d direct your way, but I do think that there are some posters for whom it is appropriate! (One of them, funnily enough, is on ‘holiday’ at present which may be just as well!). Refusing to accept that ‘Nige’ can do any wrong, can have played no part whatsoever in that breakdown, is the only way forward.
And, with the greatest respect to @Superjack, I’m not sure they are the best example of a moderate view - they may not be extreme ‘cult’ but seem a fair bit further along that spectrum than you! Just inserting the words ‘I don’t think there’s no-one else who can take us forward’ in the middle of a lengthy post that otherwise just throws abuse around at anyone associated with current or previous ‘non-Nigel’ regimes doesn’t really seem too convincing! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

21 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

The whole thing around Coppell was odd from the start, i think everyone could see it but nobody wanted to really believe it. The fact that it wasn’t even a massive shock (at least for me) when he went said it all. That Millwall match was so bizarre.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Thats a great post, Dave.

Just a couple of observations on some of the points there.

As you’ve said, something changed. We don’t know the reason, it may be a good reason, maybe not. We may never really know. But the bottom line is that the relationship broke down.

Thats happens, in any business or organisation. CEO falls out with Directors, one senior executive falls out with another: when it happens at that level it’s a huge problem for the organisation and it generally only resolves itself with the departure of one party. And in football that usually only works one way.

So, being entirely pragmatic, and taking all the emotion out of it, the quicker that it’s resolved the better for the organisation - in this case Bristol City. It might not be fair, it might not be the right person who leaves, it might not be what you or I wanted, but it’s still better than the alternative.

And, following on from that, maybe that explains the question we’ve all asked about the failure to release even a small portion of the Scott money. Again, maybe not fair, but pragmatically it makes sense.

Secondly: yes, ‘cult Nigel’ is certainly not something I’d direct your way, but I do think that there are some posters for whom it is appropriate! (One of them, funnily enough, is on ‘holiday’ at present which may be just as well!). Refusing to accept that ‘Nige’ can do any wrong, can have played no part whatsoever in that breakdown, is the only way forward.
And, with the greatest respect to @Superjack, I’m not sure they are the best example of a moderate view - they may not be extreme ‘cult’ but seem a fair bit further along that spectrum than you! Just inserting the words ‘I don’t think there’s no-one else who can take us forward’ in the middle of a lengthy post that otherwise just throws abuse around at anyone associated with current or previous ‘non-Nigel’ regimes doesn’t really seem too convincing! 

Applause GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

I’m not sure Coppell “bottled it”. I’d say he saw through it.

Saw through the BS - not Bristol Sport - the bullshit. The Lansdown bullshit.

Even then the ****** was dabbling in things beyond his remit. 

I know the stories about transfer disagreements but I'm not sure that's the whole story.  

I was massively excited about the Coppell appointment, but right from the start, something didn't seem right, he never really seemed up for it. The fact that (as far as I'm aware) he's never managed since, suggests to me that whilst falling out with SL may have been a contributory factor, in truth, Coppell fall out of love with the managerial lark.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Zuni said:

Surely they are meeting candidates (especially such well known ones) away from AG and HPC ?

Look I dismissed it totally but have reason to believe he held talks so to say no interest I am not personally convinced. I think people should stay off forum speculation personally, I’m going to, nobody knows other than the board. What I will say is if Lampard was close the national media would be all over it, I’m a Londoner and I know a lot of national media people and nobody is jumping on Lampard when I’ve mentioned to them. But local Bristol people I know who have strong links on the very few things ive been told which have since happened are convinced he was met. But who knows! I am still thinking we will end up with a simply uninspiring appointment eg. Manning who has been mentioned for some time. I cannot see our Tech Director working with a big name, feeling is wants to call things! That ain’t gonna work with a well known football name. 

• Like 2