IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

In what way do you think he is similar to Lee Johnson?

Quite simple. Young head coach who comes into fitting the system without rocking the boat. Another “head coach” who does not yet qualify to manage a championship club who apparently are chasing promotion.

Please tell me how this is an upgrade on Pearson? Because it isn’t

• Like 8
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 4

I’d not heard of him but I will say if he keeps doing that well we will struggle to get him next season or even in a few more Months as the sack race carries on, could be very shrewd move & Oxford fans imply they weren’t that impressed but love the football style played now it’s settled.

10 minutes ago, The Coach said:

So if it is Manning. Will he be sacked if we fail to obtain promotion this season or fail to improve upon last season?

Honestly, I fail to see any logic from the Lansdowns.

Lee Johnson 2.0? I feel like dark days are returning 

Surely he (or whoever it is) has to get top 6 at least.   Those are now the parameters that have been set out.  And given the in depth review provided by Harry here in these pages on how he likes to play, top 6 seems a stretch with our current squad, but that’s the requirement now. Lansdown will of course open the purse strings to assist him in January because he won’t want his man screwing up. 

Edited by lenred
  • Like 2

If we had "done an Ipswich" & appointed Mckenna, a fair number of our supporters would have apparently been really disappointed & let down by the appointment.

Why are people so adamant about wanting a "big name" to justify it being positive..?

Any household ne manager is highly likely to have failed previously to be in an available position (Eustace could be deemed the exception)

Or, we go for someone who's doing well & making a name for themselves - unlikely to poach that from our level or certainly the level above - so a manager who's doing well at the level below us isn't "uninspiring" - although, of course, it is a gamble.

Without clubs taking those gambles, new big names & success stories don't happen & they soon become out of our reach for their next move.

Of course, I fully understand that we have tried that route before & failed - Mcinnes, Tinnion, Holden etc...

But GJ did well & Wilson & SOD (arguably "bigger" names didn't achieve anything.

So - simply put, it's daft to discount an up & coming manager - but obviously comes with risk aswell.

Let's face it - most managerial appointments don't lead to any great level of success.

Notably, Pearson's didn't..! A good enough job steadying the ship - but hasn't moved us on a great deal, results wise.

Can another manager/coach get more from our current squad.? Who knows - but we are going to find out over then next 18 months or so - whether they are established, or up & coming really doesn't make much difference to how they are going to impact us.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

Just now, lenred said:

Surely he (or whoever it is) has to get top 6 at least.   Those are now the parameters that have been set out.  And given the in depth review provided by Harry here in these pages on how he likes to play, top 6 seems a stretch but that’s the requirement now. Lansdown will of course open the purse strings to assist him in January because he won’t want his man screwing up. 

Jon Lansdown was quoted as promotion didn’t be? In that case, whoever comes in needs to get the club promoted this season. Below that is failure if that is the standard being set by the club.

They can’t move the goalposts to what suits them…but I’m sure they will.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

Surely he (or whoever it is) has to get top 6 at least.   Those are now the parameters that have been set out.  And given the in depth review provided by Harry here in these pages on how he likes to play, top 6 seems a stretch but that’s the requirement now. Lansdown will of course open the purse strings to assist him in January because he won’t want his man screwing up. 

We will relax the purse strings but will still be shopping in Aldi not Waitrose. If it’s Manning he’ll be expected to propel us to the next level with signings from his knowledge of the lower leagues, guaranteed.

7 minutes ago, Cristored said:

That’s what Ipswich said about McKenna, and he has somehow got them into 2nd with a bunch of lower end champ high end l1 players. 

Momentum caused by confidence in winning games in L1. This season or never for Ipswich ala us under GJ.

Was hoping for a new name from nowhere. But Manning fits the 'yes man' criteria and if we chuck money at him, you never know.

I would've been much more confident in giving Nige a decent budget instead.

Edited by Puckle_red
Grammar
  • Like 8

Just now, The Coach said:

Jon Lansdown was quoted as promotion didn’t be? In that case, whoever comes in needs to get the club promoted this season. Below that is failure if that is the standard being set by the club.

They can’t move the goalposts to what suits them…but I’m sure they will.

I thought it was Top 6 but could be wrong.   Either way the new man will have a tough task in his hands and many won’t forget the criteria set out that’s for sure.  

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

If we had "done an Ipswich" & appointed Mckenna, a fair number of our supporters would have apparently been really disappointed & let down by the appointment.

Why are people so adamant about wanting a "big name" to justify it being positive..?

Any household ne manager is highly likely to have failed previously to be in an available position (Eustace could be deemed the exception)

Or, we go for someone who's doing well & making a name for themselves - unlikely to poach that from our level or certainly the level above - so a manager who's doing well at the level below us isn't "uninspiring" - although, of course, it is a gamble.

Without clubs taking those gambles, new big names & success stories don't happen & they soon become out of our reach for their next move.

Of course, I fully understand that we have tried that route before & failed - Mcinnes, Tinnion, Holden etc...

But GJ did well & Wilson & SOD (arguably "bigger" names didn't achieve anything.

So - simply put, it's daft to discount an up & coming manager - but obviously comes with risk aswell.

Let's face it - most managerial appointments don't lead to any great level of success.

Notably, Pearson's didn't..! A good enough job steadying the ship - but hasn't moved us on a great deal, results wise.

Can another manager/coach get more from our current squad.? Who knows - but we are going to find out over then next 18 months or so - whether they are established, or up & coming really doesn't make much difference to how they are going to impact us.

Man Utd assistant manager or a bloke sacked by MK less than a year ago is a big difference 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, The Coach said:

So if it is Manning. Will he be sacked if we fail to obtain promotion this season or fail to improve upon last season?

I’m not one for defending the club at all, but he’s far far more highly regarded in the game than LJ, with a much better track record. 

As said before, footy fans will bemoan the likes of McKenna and Edwards being missed by their clubs, then bemoan lack of experience and ambition when appointing someone just like them. 

• Like 9

Having moved to Oxford last year and having lots of Oxford supporting friends, I have followed them from the distance. The consensus from my freinds pre season was that they have spent a lot of money and would be promotion contenders. Started off slow and now where they should be with their financial impact. Haven't actually watched them yet so no idea on their style, however a few friends have said they have been extremely lucky to win numerous games. Apparently Rovers battered them but still managed to lose🤣 

Edited by CiderHeadDan
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Coach said:

Which is why is feels completely believable. Pearson to Manning, **** me, about as disappointing and underwhelming as you can get. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Had we appointed McKenna and given him the budget Ipswich have fans might have had a different take on it albeit our patchwork side battered them for the last twenty minutes the other week.

If Manning is expected to deliver with what we currently have he will fail, simple as that, but as others have said the purse strings will be loosened and the Academy Boys, what’s left of them who don’t get shoved out on loan in January, will get five minutes here and there off the bench.

Its another change of plan, dress it up how they like, and the end game has been made clear.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Man Utd assistant manager or a bloke sacked by MK less than a year ago is a big difference 

Yes, granted that is a different pedigree - but it's not stopped Manning doing a great job of having Oxford 2nd in the table, 3 points off the leaders, being 2nd highest scorers in the division & 2nd best goals against.

That's the point - anyone could work, or anyone could fail. Just because they've done well in the past at a different club with different players, doesn't guarantee anything & most big names will have failure on their CV alongside any achievements they may have - otherwise they wouldn't be available. 

20 minutes ago, The Coach said:

It does feel like that heart sinking moment at the Valley in 2016 when we should have appointed Warnock. He went to Cardiff and took them up. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CiderHeadDan said:

Having moved to Oxford last year and having lots of Oxford supporting friends, I have followed them from the distance. The consensus from my freinds pre season was that they have spent a lot of money and would be promotion contenders. Started off slow and now where they should be with their financial impact. Haven't actually watched them yet so no idea on their style, however a few friends have said they have been extremely lucky to win numerous games. Apparently Rovers battered them but still managed to lose🤣 

I don't know their transfer business, but Transfer market indicates they made 4 free transfer signings, some loan signings & 2 undisclosed signings.

Doesn't look like they spend any if much atall...?