IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The logical time would’ve been the end of last season / start of the summer.

To be fair, it's all ifs, buts and maybes.

A lot of what was carried into the summer would've started under Gould and carried on by Alexander, with neither here now acting as a go between, clearly, relationships have broken down, Nigel's health has deteriorated, whether or not you think that should be a factor even subconsciously it will be.

Obviously holding him to the '3 year project' is nonsense. Pearson himself said we were 18 months behind on that, thanks to the lasting effects Covid had on the way the club was designed to work financially.

I do find some of the comments saying they will judge the new managerial team by where we are at the end if the season some what bizarre. Under Pearson we've improved year on year but only 1 or 2 places, realistically we should've been looking for somewhere between 15th and 10th. Continued progress but thanks to poor optics from the clubs hierarchy it would appear to be s**t or bust. Something that puts a ridiculous and unnecessary amount of pressure of whoever it is that comes next.

• Like 3

I know there are reasons for optimism with this appointment according to people with far more football knowledge than me so I'm onboard with the fact I could be wrong, but this would be such an underwhelming appointment personally. To go from a proven manager in Pearson doing genuinely decent stuff, to a bit of an unknown with admittedly a couple of decent seasons in Belgium and with MK Dons (the former with lots of money should be added), and one who was deemed not good enough for MK Dons very recently - it would be a huge disappointment for me. Of course I'd get behind him, but on face value it would be underwhelming.

But going by OTIB other past few days it seems that we're not sure what is really happening, so staying open-minded right now. If we are actually looking abroad and trying something new, that would be a bit more encouraging I think, purely for the shift in focus, rather than another signing that could be seen as another LJ/DH, etc.

Edited by nebristolred
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, One Team said:

Ian Gay said on FBC that his “impeccable source” says the appointment is “someone the fans will get really excited about”. 

That surely rules out Manning, and most of the bookies list?

Fingers crossed

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, A Darkwood Red said:

A lot of what was carried into the summer would've started under Gould and carried on by Alexander, with neither here now acting as a go between, clearly, relationships have broken down, Nigel's health has deteriorated, whether or not you think that should be a factor even subconsciously it will be.

Obviously holding him to the '3 year project' is nonsense. Pearson himself said we were 18 months behind on that, thanks to the lasting effects Covid had on the way the club was designed to work financially.

I do find some of the comments saying they will judge the new managerial team by where we are at the end if the season some what bizarre. Under Pearson we've improved year on year but only 1 or 2 places, realistically we should've been looking for somewhere between 15th and 10th. Continued progress but thanks to poor optics from the clubs hierarchy it would appear to be s**t or bust. Something that puts a ridiculous and unnecessary amount of pressure of whoever it is that comes next.

Tbh, the comments I’ve seen are that they’ll be judging the board and owners by results in the coming months, not the HC and their team.  This seems perfectly reasonable, as they’re the ones who binned Nige and his team.

Very gradual improvement year on year, considering the shitshow he inherited seems like a great performance to me.  Just staying in the Championship whilst all the upheaval was going on was no mean feat.  It isn’t just about league position though and he’s transformed the work ethic and culture at the club and made us into a professional outfit at long last.

If you’re happy to see all that being potentially ripped up then that’s up to you, but there are many who are looking far beyond just league position and at the bigger picture.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Pearson was sacked from several jobs, but that doesn’t take into account any context.

Do you know all the circumstances for Manning’s sacking at MKD?

Yeah, they were in the relegation zone with 15 points from 20 matches

And they are MK Dons, not Leicester or Watford...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

They lost 8 players without really replacing…

Oxford were in the relegation zone when he took over, and now they’re top. Any nuances in that?

22 minutes ago, A Darkwood Red said:

I don’t think any of the fans will have been judging the new appointment on promotion. 
It’s Jon & Brian who have set that target. Quite clearly. 
As I’ve said, I will be 100% behind the new manager, whoever it may be. I’ll happily see us progress and if we finish top 10 I’ll think we’ve had a good year. 
I won’t be judging the new manager on achieving promotion this season. I will be judging Jon, Brian, Sean, Gavin & Tom on this. And if we do not achieve promotion this season I will be expecting them to front up and tell us what went wrong - was it budget, was it recruitment, was it injuries, was it their processes, was it that the players couldn’t fulfil the style that the club wanted, was it that their choice of head coach wasn’t able to implement the style of play the club want etc. 

Whatever happens this season, I will absolutely NOT be judging the new manager on this. 

• Like 13
  • Flames 3

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Still no context - that’s the issue.

I don’t know enough about Manning to have much of a view one way or the other - but to simply look at a table position is misleading. 

And no, the club in question isn’t particularly relevant. A sacking is a sacking - all depends on the context. 

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Suspect they had a ‘losing play off final having been close to automatic promotion as well’ hangover. Seems quite a regular occurrence for teams (Boro at the start of this season)? 

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

They lost 8 players without really replacing…

Oxford were in the relegation zone when he took over, and now they’re top. Any nuances in that?

Wow if Manning took Oxford from the relegation zone to top that would be an amazing feat. Not really a thing though is it when its a new season.

He has obviously had a good three months aside from the smashing they got at the Gate, but that doesn't justify sacking Pearson (who also lost his best player and not replaced) for him

I do hope it's not Manning, not least as others have said our squad does not match his style

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

I don’t think any of the fans will have been judging the new appointment on promotion. 
As I’ve said, I will be 100% behind the new manager, whoever it may be. I’ll happily see us progress and if we finish top 10 I’ll think we’ve had a good year. 
I won’t be judging the new manager on achieving promotion this season. I will be judging Jon, Brian, Sean, Gavin & Tom on this. And if we do not achieve promotion this season I will be expecting them to front up and tell us what went wrong - was it budget, was it recruitment, was it injuries, was it their processes, was it that the players couldn’t fulfil the style that the club wanted, was it that their choice of head coach wasn’t able to implement the style of play the club want etc. 

Whatever happens this season, I will absolutely NOT be judging the new manager on this. 

What he said ⬆️⬆️⬆️

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

Based on JL”s justification for sacking Nige, that’s a very fair analysis.

Pressure on crayon boy then.

14 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Tbh, the comments I’ve seen are that they’ll be judging the board and owners by results in the coming months, not the HC and their team.  This seems perfectly reasonable, as they’re the ones who binned Nige and his team.

Very gradual improvement year on year, considering the shitshow he inherited seems like a great performance to me.  Just staying in the Championship whilst all the upheaval was going on was no mean feat.  It isn’t just about league position though and he’s transformed the work ethic and culture at the club and made us into a professional outfit at long last.

If you’re happy to see all that being potentially ripped up then that’s up to you, but there are many who are looking far beyond just league position and at the bigger picture.

You/we can judge the Board and the owners all you want. But in terms of what happens on the pitch, they won’t be the ones that carry the can at the end of the day. Right or wrong. Fair or unfair, 

Manning doesn’t want the job. Only reason radio Bristol put a piece out the club were considering manning was to try and publicly turn his head. The problem City have with their so called shortlist, is none of them want the job. 
hence lansdown saying the message wasn’t understood ! 
there are people who want the job, and there are people who City like, who aren’t interested. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

Manning doesn’t want the job. Only reason radio Bristol put a piece out the club were considering manning was to try and publicly turn his head. The problem City have with their so called shortlist, is none of them want the job. 
there are people who want the job, and there are people who City like, who aren’t interested. 

I assume that means we are nowhere close to an appointment then?

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

I will be expecting them to front up and tell us what went wrong

"Well unfortunately we had a bad start under Nigel Pearson and couldn't get enough ground to make it up. We fully support XXX and believe next season we can have a real crack at the play offs. I can only apologise for not sacking Nigel earlier, but we learn from our errors".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

I’m not pro or anti Manning but if he genuinely doesn’t want it I’d be surprised, very surprised. Maybe he thinks he can get a top 6 champ club but that’s a big gamble for a league 1 manager with a sketchy record. Doing well at the moment but how long will that moment last?   Fair play to him for backing himself if true I guess.  

Also if he doesn’t want it why didn’t he just say so when asked? 

Edited by lenred
  • Like 1

Just now, lenred said:

I’m not pro or anti Manning but if he genuinely doesn’t want it I’d be surprised, very surprised. Maybe he thinks he can get a top 6 champ club but that’s a big gamble for a league 1 manager with a sketchy record. Doing well at the moment but how long will that moment last?   Fair play to him for backing himself if true I guess.  

I think I disagree with that. He's got everything going right at the moment and if he wins promotion his stock continues to rise. And he might just be sensible and not trust our owners.

Just now, mozo said:

I think I disagree with that. He's got everything going right at the moment and if he wins promotion his stock continues to rise. And he might just be sensible and not trust our owners.

If he gets promotion is his stock any higher than Schumacher’s is currently? I don't think so. Hence my comment about waiting for a top 6 Championship club as that’s where I would see his stock if he does get promotion (it’s where I see Schumacher) - ie above us but not Prem level.   That’s why I think it’s a gamble.  Your last sentence may also be true of course! 

9 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

If true we could be in for another rigorous process before welcoming Pat Mountain. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Selred said:

"Well unfortunately we had a bad start under Nigel Pearson and couldn't get enough ground to make it up. We fully support XXX and believe next season we can have a real crack at the play offs. I can only apologise for not sacking Nigel earlier, but we learn from our errors".

Unfortunately, I think this is pretty spot on.

It's no coincidence that Pearson's sacking came at the exact moment of our lowest ebb.

I have no doubt that the narrative from those who dislike Pearson will be "Pearson had Bristol City in 15th. In spite of the woeful Pearson, new manager X has managed to drag Bristol City up to a 12th placed finished - higher than Nige managed in 3 seasons! Clearly City should have sacked Pearson much sooner."

(Jon Lansdown, Ryan Dilks, Mark Carter - we're looking at you)

• Like 3