IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

3 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Whilst I’d still rather we had Pearson, of the sort of candidates that would potentially be available to Bristol City, I do like Manning.
If I’m not mistaken, he was identified and became part of the CFG group of clubs and they absolutely do have an identity across their many clubs and that style of football is exciting.

Manning may not (yet) be a “name” to get excited about but I dare say his football might be.

Yeah, as we find ourselves without a manager/HC I'm happy to take a chance on an up and coming guy with a reputation for playing good football.

But of you'd told me 2 weeks ago what was about to happen I'd think this was a bad idea.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I think if a new manager comes in now and we're still ticking along in and around mid-table in 2-3 years with no sign of progression then the board will be seen to have failed.

They've set the new man up for some pressure with their comments about what they expect, and felt they weren't getting from Pearson

They certainly have and I’m confident that their totally unrealistic expections will actually come back and bite them in the arse, rather than the new coaching team!

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For info, BBCRB didn’t put out a piece to turn his head, it was Radio Oxford interviewing him post-match, and BBCRB just played that back to us.

I meant the piece in the post or Bristol live or whatever they call themselves now, where on Thursday they posted exclusive, City considering Manning.

that is what I’m referring to, not the Radio Oxford interview where he said he’s had no contact with the club. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, mozo said:

Yeah, as find ourselves without a manager/HC I'm happy to take a chance on an up and coming guy with a reputation for playing good football.

But of you'd told me 2 weeks ago what was about to happen I'd think this was a bad idea.

If we hadn't sacked Pearson without a backup plan then we wouldn't be looking at him in the first place

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Cheers and now see what you’re getting at and points well put👍

Yes, the relationship was clearly breaking down between NP and the Lansdowns and there was only one way that was going to end, though I’d have preferred to see the departure of the Lansdowns tbh

I honestly believe if Nige had been given even a modest percentage of Scott’s transfer fee, we could have seen a marked improvement in our attacking style, as he was obviously well aware of what we needed.   We really have been crippled by injuries too, which clearly haven’t helped.

Whoever comes in will certainly have a very solid base to build on for sure, but we definitely need to add some creativity and that won’t come cheap.

Thanks (run out of reactions :laugh:)

I think Nigel accepts that more often than not he's not the beneficiary of the foundations he lays. I suspect he might even get a kick out of that, especially knowing that the fans will still hold him in high regard for the work he started.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

And just before we were due to play the bottom two sides, and very likely pick up points regardless of who was in charge - as it's not like we needed the "new manager bounce" as Pearson hadn't lost the dressing room so to speak.

We'd have likely looked in a half decent position after these next 2 weeks whoever was in charge.

Yepp, plus a nice long international break in which we might get some players back to full fitness.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A Darkwood Red said:

Thanks (run out of reactions :laugh:)

I think Nigel accepts that more often than not he's not the beneficiary of the foundations he lays. I suspect he might even get a kick out of that, especially knowing that the fans will still hold him in high regard for the work he started.

Very possibly.

Just now, Supersonic Robin said:

Yepp, plus a nice long international break in which we might get some players back to full fitness.

Don't they all get 10 days off though ?

• Facepalm 1

30 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Maybe he's looked at what's happened and thought wrong club.

Understandable 

Or maybe he's looked at this thread and thought wrong club? 😱

If you're reading Liam ❤️, we'll get behind you once you're in place. Fans will go back to blaming the Board and/or Technical Director. And the club does have a good track record of giving managers time. 

3 minutes ago, cityred2000 said:

That reads weirdly to me...

"There's been contact between City and Oxford re: Liam Manning as of first thing this morning. He is or at least has been, as we reported last week, among those who have been considered."

would feel to read more naturally if it said...

"There's been no contact between City and Oxford re: Liam Manning as of first thing this morning. He is or at least has been, as we reported last week, among those who have been considered."

1 minute ago, View from the Dolman said:

"There's been contact between City and Oxford re: Liam Manning as of first thing this morning. He is or at least has been, as we reported last week, among those who have been considered."

"There's been no contact between City and Oxford re: Liam Manning as of first thing this morning. He is or at least has been, as we reported last week, among those who have been considered."

Yeah, agreed, was just relaying what I saw. Maybe a typo that needs to be questioned

• Like 1

Just now, Andy082005 said:

To be fair - a turnip in a tie would be more exciting then Frank Lampard 

But he managed in the prem 😂

Saw your comment on Facebook on this same subject.

Manning did lose his job, but was doing well before he sold his best players. And he has turned Oxford from relegation battlers to chasing promotion in one summer.

He also has good pedigree.

Plenty of promise there.

2 minutes ago, red panda said:

Or maybe he's looked at this thread and thought wrong club? 😱

If you're reading Liam ❤️, we'll get behind you once you're in place. Fans will go back to blaming the Board and/or Technical Director. And the club does have a good track record of giving managers time. 

I reckon this will be a great opportunity for the new head coach.  

This is probably as close to as a free pass they’ll ever get, as if we get to the point that the shit really hits the fan, I think it’ll be the Lansdowns that it’ll all land on.

7 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

To be fair - a turnip in a tie would be more exciting then Frank Lampard 

I think his profile qualifies him as "exciting", but for me it would be deeply concerning, and that smart turnip more likely to get the job.

28 minutes ago, mozo said:

Well, we've been told that the squad is already strong enough for promotion, so if we give the new manager this season to bed in, he should be expected to get us promoted, or damn close, in the 2024-25 season. So really, if we're mid table in 12-14 months, it's already a problem.

Nope. 
The squad is strong enough for promotion. “It’s a top end squad” and “the best squad we’ve had for a long time”. 
Nigel was sacked because “why would be just bumble along for this season”. 

The expectation is absolutely clear. It’s not bedding in this season and promotion next season. It’s absolutely promotion this season. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

12 minutes ago, cityred2000 said:

Yeah, agreed, was just relaying what I saw. Maybe a typo that needs to be questioned

I read it as “as of this morning, there’s been contact but that’s as far as it’s gone”

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Nope. 
The squad is strong enough for promotion. “It’s a top end squad” and “the best squad we’ve had for a long time”. 
Nigel was sacked because “why would be just bumble along for this season”. 

The expectation is absolutely clear. It’s not bedding in this season and promotion next season. It’s absolutely promotion this season. 

The worrying thing for me is I left Saturday's game thinking if that is what they expect to get promoted then they are in cuckoo land.

Compare the quality of Friday night's game between Leicester and Leeds and it was chalk and cheese.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pride of the west said:

Definitely a type. If there had been contact there would be a big piece on it not only by Bristol Post but other sources, not just a paragraph when discussing the state of play as they see it. 

I hope they get these details right on really important news stories. There's a big difference between "is dead" and "is not dead"

• Haha 2

Just now, 2015 said:

The worrying thing for me is I left Saturday's game thinking if that is what they expect to get promoted then they are in cuckoo land.

Compare the quality of Friday night's game between Leicester and Leeds and it was chalk and cheese.

Yep. 
I’ve watched a number of championship teams this season who are streets ahead of us in terms of their style, their quality, their pace, their technicality. We are way behind a number of teams. We are being competitive because we have players with a fair bit of grit, determination, energy. But the way some other teams play - we are way off that still. 

• Like 3