IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

• Admin
1 minute ago, AberRed said:

My flatmate is an Oxford fan and this is his line of thought.

"I can't understand why you'd leave a promotion chase for a team that will probably finish 15th in the championship for the 10th year in a row"

The money we're offering must be good.

Did you look at them quizzically and retort “15th? We’re going up mate!” ?

2 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Disappointing to lose Nige and replace him with someone with no experience at this level, I will support him / the team, do not know enough about him and his style so difficult to have an informed opinion if he will be a good fit. 

It appears he failed as a footballer, so has not played the game at any high level, always think its easier for a coach that has been there and done it to get the respect of experienced players, particularly when results are bad as they start to question the plan. Always thought this was GJ problem and to a degree LJ's.

Hope it works out, but not filled with excitement or hope.

I am really not happy about this if its true, but failing as a player doesnt necessarily make a bad coach. Think of Wenger or Jose or in more recent time someone like Potter. 

9 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Reaction on here scathing before the blokes got on the stage yet , booing him off 😤

Tough crowd 😳

I’m not booing him off, I’m not saying he’ll fail, and I certainly don’t want him to, but “at least it’s not Ben Garner or Joey Barton” is not a good reason to employ Liam Manning. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Experience comes from playing and managing, he's not got either of any note 

Declan Rice... So you said he helped develope him?? 

I'd have thought the West Ham coaches may disagree, we know how much an U23s manager gets involved 

I get that, but out of interest would you have been up for us appointing Will Still? His playing career is inferior to Manning's and arguably so is his managerial career before he joined Reims.

Correct, I said he helped to develop him. I know as much as you when it comes to that being the truth, however I'm not sure multiple articles would've been written about something that is nonsense... https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12521497/WONDERS-PYRAMID-Liam-Manning-coach-credited-nurturing-Declan-Rice-West-Ham-flying-Oxford-PLUS-three-games-watch-weekend.html

12 minutes ago, Riaz said:

One things for sure, how this goes, for me is down to the Lansdowns.

If we struggle - It will be on them.

We had a good manager - they better hope manning is a good manager for us.

And vice versa to be fair. If this goes well then fair play to them for making the decision.

Edited by Rob k
  • Like 3

Cautiously optimistic about this. Will try and instil attacking football and likes to bring on youth.

nige was bringing on youth but in the end seemed to be doing to begrudgingly or to make a point (pre injury crisis - see yeboahs minutes beyond his ability)

someone who can perhaps galvanise this into a defined and attacking style of play is exciting.

no experience beyond xy and z blah blah blah. They’ve all got to start somewhere and would be nice to try and get the ‘next big thing’ in nearer the ground floor.

good appointment, has my full support. I would love someone who’s team inspire the fans because let’s face it nige was beyond functional but did well to steady us through a period of financial instability. His sacking and subsequent outrage more a convienant stick to beat the lansdowns with I feel than a real footballing loss.

But lets kick on now, some nice football and the crowd are right behind the team again, some togetherness at full time and maybe team and fans can be united in spite of any concerns about the ownership 

COYR

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Experience comes from playing and managing, he's not got either of any note 

Declan Rice... So you said he helped develope him?? 

I'd have thought the West Ham coaches may disagree, we know how much an U23s manager gets involved 

Don't know why you're so negative about this.  Obviously others were involved, but Manning's on the list of coaches that had a direct influence on Rice's progress and helped him get where he is today.  Straight from the horses' mouth here.

Welcome Liam, and don't worry about the grumpy naysayers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

Really not sure how I feel about this if we are being honest.

Seems very bizarre to be bringing somebody in mid-season who needs to change the whole teams playing style to fit what they want to do. Could be an absolute disaster for everybody if it goes horribly wrong and sadly for Manning he will always he compared to LJ/Holden. (Not saying that's fair, but it will happen). Ultimately, he's also completely unproven at this level, everybody needs to start somewhere and maybe this is the one that we get right, but recent history isn't on his side.

However, he does have a much better reputation in the game than those mentioned above. He has been bought in as a 'Coach' with a very clear remit and whilst I feel very uncomfortable with what happened with NP, there is a different structure there now and Manning seems to fit in better with it. 

As others have mentioned, I'd love to know what the expectation is on him this season and what he will be given to do it. Don't care what the club says, this squad is three players light of being a top 8 squad and believe NP had us slightly above where the squad sits in my opinion pre-injuries.

• Like 1

I don't know enough about him really to have a strong opinion one way or the other.

I can see the rationale behind this appointment, but they've really made it hard for him by sacking a popular manager in almost universally accepted unfair circumstances by the supporters.

As others have said, it is in-line with what JL stated regarding new manager a few days ago - but does feel like yet another lurch towards a completely different direction after almost 3 years of a more typical autocratic football manager type in charge.. and it's a strange time of the season to do such an about face.

If there was an understanding that Pearson was to leave at the end of his contract, you'd think the idea of Manning joining now with Pearson effectively taking on a DoF role for a few months would give a bit of continuity and seems logical.. but that impacts Tinnion's autonomy and then the obvious issues the board had with Pearson as a person.

This appointment has to work for the Lansdowns, as otherwise I can see their position becoming completely untenable.

Edited by Phileas Fogg

14 minutes ago, Slack said:

So did Liam Manning actually interview for this position?

Didn't we hear how they had to all interview 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’d imagine with the games at the weekend an in person interview may have been difficult, but no reason they couldn’t have had a Teams interview. Fairly common place now in a lot of industries.

16 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

This is "Judge me on Tinnion" Part 2..............

Exactly that, this feels like  Tinnion suggestion to me, being pretty much the only "Footballer" in the higher echelons of the club.  Let's hope he is better at picking managers than actually Managing

• Like 1

Fits what the bosses want for our club; a head coach who coaches. He's only 38, and look at his CV and what he has done already. Only question mark is the end of the MK Dons stint, but sounds like there were reasons for that, and every manager has periods like that, otherwise they would never get sacked! He's then moved on to Oxford in March, and 8 months later they're in 2nd place. He's someone whose stock is rising, so lets get on that like other championship clubs do. I think he will do well. COYR

• Like 5