IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

1 minute ago, transfer reader said:

When does a manager stop being a rookie?

At 150 games he's certainly not new to the job 

Inexperienced compared to people have been around longer, sure. Thats how time works.

Garry Monk is 8 years older but only managed 120 games more. None would call him a rookie though, and I'd rather have Manning than bring him in.

Rookie in other sports generally means someone in their first season professionally, that wouldn't be the case here either.

Fair point - sloppy of me. By rookie I do mean in respect of managing at this level. As I alluded to in my original post, I don't think he shouldn't get an opportunity at this level, I just don't think it's this one. There's too much jeopardy at this club. Mismanagement of this bare thin squad and we can and will drop pretty quickly. I stand by my view that this is a bit like when we got McInnes in, or when we got LJ in, it's too big a job for their levels of experience, at a football club which generally buts up against a glass ceiling when it gets to mid-table championship.  

Edited by 38MC
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, transfer reader said:

When does a manager stop being a rookie?

At 150 games he's certainly not new to the job 

Inexperienced compared to people have been around longer, sure. Thats how time works.

Garry Monk is 8 years older but only managed 120 games more. None would call him a rookie though, and I'd rather have Manning than bring him in.

Rookie in other sports generally means someone in their first season professionally, that wouldn't be the case here either.

How about Rookie Championship Manager?

• Like 2

• Admin
21 minutes ago, GrumpyGit said:

All he has is a playoff place with MK, they lost.

Was sacked by MK who went on to get relegated.

Saved Oxford from relegation on the last day.

Has got Oxford to 2nd.

He’s been at Oxford 7 months, there’s loyalty for you. 

We need him to get us up this season, none of this Top 10 rubbish.
Otherwise Bournemouth might poach him.

17 minutes ago, Ryan said:

This is hugely uninspiring. Not sure how this is any different to going for LJ after Cotts. Hardly shows the betting to be way off as JL said in that interview as this chap has been in the betting mix since day 1. More lies from our illustrious leadership. 

Very similar feel, but in Manning's favour he hasn't been chosen for apparently no other reason than the owner knows him and likes him personally.

The appointment doesn't feel like a double whammy to me this time - while not 'inspired' by Manning I'm also not against him or angry and completely deflated at him being the new man as I was with LJ replacing Cotts.

For all our frustration we should perhaps remember fans used to be known as 'spectators' and in essence that's what we are - we watch on at events at the club as well as watching the team, and have strong opinions on everything connected to the club.

Unless we're going to withdraw our support for Bristol City F.C. - and if I was ever going to do that it would have been when Cotts was sacked and LJ came in - we continue to be spectators with a fascination for all things Bristol City that most of us can't, in fact don't want to, shake off.

While we may resent the board taking that for granted, we don't need to like or support the board, we support the team and the fact remains most of us know in our hearts we're not going to just walk away from a lifelong passion which is so much a part of us.

I can only hope we've genuinely got one of the most promising up and coming young coaches this time, not an over hyped self publicist who should never have been appointed, and if so, who knows, it may turn out to be an enjoyable period to support the club.

Therefore, pissed off and disgruntled as we should rightly be imo at Nige's horrendous treatment, we can't change it and at this point we have a choice of either supporting the new coach while very much hoping for the best, or knock the whole thing on the head and become an ex-supporter of BCFC.

In that sprit, presuming the appointment is confirmed, welcome to AG Liam, and good luck.

• Like 8
  • Flames 4

1 minute ago, Spud21 said:

But I am and have not been commenting on the expectations we should have of manning if/when he joins. 

I am commenting on the absolutely laughable arrogance of people saying that a man at Oxford a side a whole 10 or so places below us in the football pyramid is going to be so enamoured at getting his dream move to a championship team aiming for top 10 is going to have no professional Integrity and just allow Jon Lansdown the be defacto manager. 

We would all be pissing oirselfes at how deluded rovers fans were if they were doing the same. 

Are you really comparing us to Rovers FFS?

8 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Yes Oxford. A team that plays the Gas. It's a crap league.

If we aspire to be just a middling to small championship side then this is the type of appointment that we should have expected and accept. 

It's got nothing to do with arrogance. If the hierarchy want City not to be an average team in the Championship then we need to stop acting like we are just an average club. It really is that simple. 

Well said. Giving a 38 year old with no previous championship experience the job in November with an expectation of top 6 is unrealistic.

Managers, players, staff all talk to each other - the way the club is run and the interference from the board will put off decent, proven candidates which means we’re pushed into a lower level, younger manager who will not challenge the status quo and will be glad of the job. Which is exactly the type of candidate SL and the rest want. 

I hope Manning succeeds, but the pressure on him to will be immediate and is not of his own doing

1 minute ago, supercidered said:

How about Rookie Championship Manager?

Would be a correct bit of terminology, but also an extremely weak argument.

If we brought in Pep or Klopp they would also be rookie championship managers, not sure many would argue against them though.

1 minute ago, 38MC said:

Fair point - sloppy of me. By rookie I do mean in respect of managing at this level. As I alluded to in my original post, I don't think he shouldn't get an opportunity at this level, I just don't think it's this one. 

You're more than welcome to that view, I just see it as a poor argument.

There's several managers with Championship experience that I would be much more upset if we brought in than someone who has clearly done a good job in his (albeit relatively short) career so far.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Yes Oxford. A team that plays the Gas. It's a crap league.

If we aspire to be just a middling to small championship side then this is the type of appointment that we should have expected and accept. 

It's got nothing to do with arrogance. If the hierarchy want City not to be an average team in the Championship then we need to stop acting like we are just an average club. It really is that simple. 

You would have said the same when Eddie Howe was appointed as head coach at Bournemouth in League 2..

Personally i would be less optimistic if we appointed a bigger name - because if they were all that, they wouldnt end up here.

Give me a fairly unknown manager that has shown some ability, all day long

• Like 4

Wow. Loads of people holding the club to this 'exciting appointment' and then saying its the opposite.

Of course the club are going to be excited by it; they made the decision to get rid of NP for him. 

Whether the fans see it as exciting is going to be just down to opinions, which it seems there are 4 generally speaking -

1) Never heard of him so not exciting

2) Never heard of him but let's give him a chance

3) People who have looked into his previous at MK Dons and Oxford and are saying he has got them playing an exciting brand of football

4) People pretending they know about him and saying he has got them playing exciting football

Fwiw, my take is that I would have preferred us to stick with NP but seeing as we haven't, I'm happy to go with the people who have the 3rd opinion and see if he can get us playing like that. So that means my opinion is the 2nd one.

Edited by citywest30

23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Howe overturned a 17 point deduction at a side under an embargo for one. I'll have to double check but..

Perhaps this was Guernsey's cunning plan - let's find a bloke who looks like Eddie Howe! And Tinnion took it too literally.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

"Games within a game"

As I said, bullshit bingo in my opinion.

Lots of the stuff Lee talked about was very valid imo, he just didn't have a good way of explaining/communicating it and relied too much on little quips and phrases that just sounded... naff. The annoyance for me was that he overindulged himself on those aspects, not that he talked about them in the first place.

However, just because another manager views the game in a similar way doesn't mean we should dismiss it out of hand. Even if lots of managers - Pearson even, wouldn't use those words, I'm absolutely sure he thinks about the same things and likely in the same rough terms.

Give the bloke a chance ffs.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

"Games within a game"

As I said, bullshit bingo in my opinion.

There are always key times and battles on the pitch. Maybe its being tactically prepared?

I think you need to give him a break. Far too early to judge. Am i underwhelmed? A bit, but give the guy a chance

• Like 4
  • Flames 1