IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

20 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The club have stated that they believe that we have a squad that should be challenging. 

So with that in mind then any investment into the playing side should be minimal? And along the lines of what Pearson was likely to have recieved in the next window. 

My concern is that this guys system doesn't fit with what we've currently got and therefore hes going to need lots of money in order to get in the players that fit his system. 

Thats not the route I thought we were going down. I was under the impression that we'd ve bringing in someone who could work with the players and system that we already have. 

That's a concern I'd share. Opinion seems divided on that on here - and there are others on both sides who have far more knowledge of that than I have.

I agree that a shed load of money just to pay off existing players and bring in replacements isn't good sense. But some of the Scott money to enhance what we've currently got might have been right for Pearson and may be right for the new guy. I read some posts (not yours) which seem to say that it was wrong not to give Pearson more funds and that because of that it will be wrong to give his successor more funds. That doesn't make sense to me. 

I must admit that one thing that surprised me - and concerns me - is the suggestion that we need a consistent system, ethos, style throughout the club - first team, under 23s, under 21s etc. It surprised and concerned me because I'd just assumed that was what we had been doing for years! It seems obvious. But apparently not - and friends who watch the under 21s confirm as much! 

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

From what I've read 3 at the back possession football? That's not what we are set up for.

In his video he talks about not being rigid and using options that allow players to show their abilities rather than shoehorn them into a "system".  However I would argue that with the 2 Robs, Naismith Vyner and Pring as options we could play a back 3 out of those 5. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Meh said:

43 years since we were last in the top flight.

18 years since judge me on Tinnion.

7 years ago since Lee Johnson was at the helm and given millions.

Been taking my 28 year old daughter to the Gate for 25 years and she has not seen top flight football 

I have been going myself regularly for 40 years and never seen it.

Yet all I am seeing now is the normal, take it up the wrong ‘un City fan acceptance and the “give it time” type posts as we endure the latest Lansdown managed “reset”.

I feel I have given it quite enough time and I pray that the Lansdowns (and Tinnion) are out of this club very, very soon.

Back when I was 13 I would have laughed at suggestions I may not see top flight football in my lifetime but as we bounce around from one “give it a couple of years”  to the next reset I do wonder ….. !!

The ‘joys’ of following City infortunately.

We’ve git a ridiculously patient and tolerant fanbase and the owners totally take that for granted.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

From what I've read 3 at the back possession football? That's not what we are set up for.

Now if who scored is to be trusted they have played 4 at the back in every game bar 1 in the league this season. 

But even so define possession football? There are plenty of ways you can have possession, some teams will try and be like man city and ratain the ball and slowly move forward and move the ball side to side to work space and then exploit, other sides use possession to draw the opposition out and then move the ball quickly to bypass the press and get the ball from back to front quickly. 

But equally how much better would we be if we moved the ball quicker than a tortoise, how many times do we have the ball at the back and then finding 3 statues in front of them the defenders just hump a long ball aimlessly forward, where a bit of quick passing in midfield (which James, knight and TGH are all more than capable of doing) we would have a chance of breaking sides down at home. 

We are all judging Manning on either 2nd hand comments or minimal viewing so it's difficult to say how exactly Manning is going to have us playing, as from the limited bits I have seen his team seem capable of both moving the ball back to front very quickly and also retaining possession which I think should be more than within the skill set of our squad. 

10 minutes ago, Akira said:

I'm so done with our club right now. 

Need a new owner with both Lansdowns gone along with Tinnion. Feel so disillusioned with City it's unreal, and it's all because of our owner and the stupid decisions he makes regarding our managers time and time again. 

I'll give Manning a fair chance to see if he take the baton from Peatson and keep running with it.

What is so irksome is it's a "roll of the dice" that was totally unnecessary. 

• Like 11

• Admin
15 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

One of my big concerns is that him and Nige both have very different perspectives on the game. 

Nige has been at an elite level. He knows what we were missing and what was required to get to that level. 

Manning doesn't have that elite perspective. He's coming from League One. The step up is huge. 

The quality of players is much higher and our facilities are much better. 

Is he going to walk in and think wow all this is absolutely fantastic? Compared fo where he's come from? 

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Oh I didn't realise he was the West Ham manager before he got sacked by MK Dons.

He was the person responsible for overseeing Academy players into senior players. Rice came through that process.

4 minutes ago, Akira said:

Need a new owner with both Lansdowns gone along with Tinnion. Feel so disillusioned with City it's unreal, and it's all because of our owner and the stupid decisions he makes regarding our managers time and time again. 

I'm done as well.

200 mile round trip for me for home games, match tickets x2, train, cider and taxis. I don't get much change out of £250. 

I'll always support City but it will be from a far for a while. Sick of it all now and need a break from this bullshit merry go round. I'm not going to keep spending my hard earned when we keep going back to square one or maybe even worse. I actually thought we were on an upward trajectory with NP albeit quite slowly. 

The NP sacking was almost the last straw but I stupidly thought that maybe this time the hierarchy had a cunning plan. As it turned out that plan is Liam Manning. If it wasn't so sh!te it could be funny but it is too sh!te to be funny.

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

So we are likely to hire the 'Head coach' of a team we thrashed 9-2 on aggregate over two games within the last 3 months. Amazing, John, any more bright ideas ?

TBF the first of this games saw 11 changes having beaten Swansea the night before and the other was the League Cup, I don't know if he made many changes for that.

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

In his video he talks about not being rigid and using options that allow players to show their abilities rather than shoehorn them into a "system".  However I would argue that with the 2 Robs, Naismith Vyner and Pring as options we could play a back 3 out of those 5. 

Just because we could (if players are fit) doesn't mean we should!

We've recruited for 433. 

3 at the back just doesn't suit this club.

It was a disaster against Coventry. 

The purpose of making a change wasn't to rip everything up and start again. It was to enhance upon what we already had, apparently. 

3 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

We’ve git a ridiculously patient and tolerant fanbase and the owners totally take that for granted.

Exactly. There will be endless posts about "getting behind the team", "give the guy a chance", "go support the gas if you don't like it" ... the lansdowns have their own unpaid PR drones on here 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ian M said:

He places an emphasis on practice being excellent every day. Those words will be a dream to our hierarchy 😅

Joking aside, he seems fairly similar to Nige with much of what he talks about.

He says " In terms of and obviously" a lot. Just like Nige.

Edited by WECANDO
Error

2 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Well when we got relegated from the top flight, I said to my dad (god rest his soul). "At least we won't have to wait another 65 years like last time". I'm not wrong yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We've recruited for 433. 

The purpose of making a change wasn't to rip everything up and start again. It was to enhance upon what we already had, apparently. 

So you are ignoring the bit where I said he says he uses systems for players, not the other way around? You are being incredibly one eyed about this whole thing to be honest.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Akira said:

1 minute ago, supercidered said:

I'm done as well.

200 mile round trip for me for home games, match tickets x2, train, cider and taxis. I don't get much change out of £250. 

I'll always support City but it will be from a far for a while. Sick of it all now and need a break from this bullshit merry go round. I'm not going to keep spending my hard earned when we keep going back to square one or maybe even worse. I actually thought we were on an upward trajectory with NP albeit quite slowly. 

The NP sacking was almost the last straw but I stupidly thought that maybe this time the hierarchy had a cunning plan. As it turned out that plan is Liam Manning. If it wasn't so sh!te it could be funny but it is too sh!te to be funny.

Yep, really feeling these posts. I'm not quite there yet in terms of being 'done' but I'm as close as I've ever been. Under Pearson it was far from perfect but we had players who played to the final whistle, full of energy and full of youngsters, it really felt like our club had a real identity. And a tiny, really daft part of me thought that maybe we are now finally sewing the seeds to go and do a Leicester, or a Bristol City equivalent. There was something there.

But yep, in one swoop we've had a very quick reminder of who really owns the club, that any manager with an ounce of authority or leadership can only be at the helm for so long, and we've gone and finished it off with yet another punt for sod all reason.

Once again, no beef with Manning, and I hope he does well, but it felt like a lot of the optimism for our club just got ripped out in one moment, and a huge amount of cultural work at the club, the most difficult type at that, just thrown in the bin.

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

Manning?  Meh (or in our case, Meh-meti )

If/when he's announced officially, for me, it's simply a case of "whatever".

Seems there is little we can do about it.

Appointing Bernard Manning would have been less controversial.  (long history of big clubs)

Edited by Bazooka Joe
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We've recruited for 433. 

You ignored the bit where you were told he's played 4 at the back every game bar 1 this season though didn't you...

If you're going to be unreasonable about this, at least have the integrity to be honest while doing so.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I liked the look of Brannagan against us although he is probably the wrong side of 25 to interest us, but I would suggest that @Harry would be the best person to let us know who might be a good fit here.

Only 27...and top of their assists, if it's anyone, it would be Branagan?     

• Like 1