IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

11 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I said when Tinnion was appointed this is bad news. The 7.1 to Swansea should have been the end in my view! Forget JL out, focus on him if this doesn’t work. Good luck Liam, but Nigel must be feeling bloody annoyed! 

What has Tinnion's troubles as a Manager got to do with his current role? That's like suggesting that Mourinho or Wenger will never be a Manager because of their lack of ability in playing the game. 

Tinnion's current role is organisation and talent acquisition, a totally different skill set, and until all this blew up, something everyone seemed pretty happy with the way he was performing in it.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm unreasonable for not wanting someone who was sacked by MK a year ago? Right. 

I looked at their past few games where they played 3 at the back plus i read some articles about him playing 3atb so if youre going to cast aspersions, then please have the integrity of being honest while doing so.

So you it couldn't possibly be that circumstances may have dictated him playing 3 at the back? 

Again relying on third party sites to have formation data accurate other are about 3 or 4 games where ha has played 3 at the back from what I can see and the majority seem to have been 4-2-3-1. 

You seem to have taken a significant dislike to the bloke and his way of playing based entirely on your anger with the decision to bin off Nige and not on any actual evidence. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

This thread has the makings of a OTIB classic.

Mark my words there will be some humble pie being served in 6-12 months time. Manning has a tough job but we as supporters are so out of touch with modern football coaching in the main - we are the WORST people to determine he is the wrong person for this club.

Speak to people in the game and read up about Manning and based on who we are, it's a perfectly acceptable if not a very good choice for us. 

Too many on here are blinkered by football manager and 'names' that they fail to see, the game of football has evolved massively in the last 24 months. At professional level, it's being played in a way and system not seen before and some clubs will get left behind. 

NP was stuck in the old school approach (nothing wrong with that, if your thing) but we've actually gone and got ourselves a progressive coach, that develops youth and yet posters are besides themselves at who is coming in. 

I understand what a forum is for, but some perspective wouldn't be a bad thing. 

Applause Leonardo Dicaprio GIF - Applause Leonardo Dicaprio Clapping ...

6 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

All of whom only say very good things about him, including the current youth setup. 

Manning paid the ultimate price for players going and new ones coming in and arguably he overachieved the season before. 

In the modern game (unless you are LJ) you can't get away with a losing streak like he did, but I wouldn't be fooled by that blot on his copybook. They lost games, but were outplaying teams but didn't score when they had chances. 

How do you know they all say very good things about him? 

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm unreasonable for not wanting someone who was sacked by MK a year ago? Right. 

I looked at their past few games where they played 3 at the back plus i read some articles about him playing 3atb so if youre going to cast aspersions, then please have the integrity of being honest while doing so.

You're unreasonable because you're being wilfully dishonest.

Having concerns is valid, ignoring all the many comments people have made to you that would counter some of those to varying degrees is back to you being unreasonable. 

was honest in all that I said in my post.

You were corrected about how he has had Oxford player, you then chose to ignore that and continue to say how he plays with a system we haven't recruited for, when- for the most part- he hasn't been.

He took a side that had been bottom of the Belgian 2nd tier and finished 3rd in 1 season.

He got MK Dons to the playoffs with a points tally that would usually get automatic promotion. After they sacked him they ended up getting relegated.

He stopped Oxford being relegated last season and has them 2nd this season.

Even if you don't want him appointed, only an unreasonable person would argue against his record in the manner you have, by incessantly bringing up "MK Dons sacked him" without acknowledging anything else.

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Things like this is what concerns me. 

We are a Championship club aiming to get promoted to the Premier League and here we are appointing a guy that got sacked from MK a year ago, can't you see that's a huge concern? 

He's never managed in the Championship, never won promotion but this is the guy to take us up? Yes right.

Screenshot_20231106_162025_Samsung Internet.jpg

56% of people on this forum wanted NP out less than a year ago - those comment were the same on here for NP.

What is your point ?

4 minutes ago, maxjak said:

After they lost in the playoff's..........FIVE of their best players were sold by the board, and not properly replaced.  Remind you of anyone?   Have a Clue.....his Initials are NP. 

Pearson lost his best players and yet we continued to improve despite having very little to spend. 

Manning lost his (well Russell Martins) best players and they got worse. Can you see the concern I have? 

You'd also assume that Manning was involved in the recruitment of those new players.

• Like 3

Actually quite excited by this one, watched his Oxford side completely outplay a high-flying and difficult-to-play against Stevenage side. The football was fast and forward-thinking and they completely outclassed Stevenage. Gutted to see Pearson gone and what a job he did for the club however, drawing a line in the sand, we have the man with the skills Tinnion and most modern progressive clubs want. Let's give the man a chance, I look forward to hopefully seeing a more front-foot and attacking style of football🤞 Travelling to the game on Saturday and cant wait to get behind the team and new man in charge.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Things like this is what concerns me. 

We are a Championship club aiming to get promoted to the Premier League and here we are appointing a guy that got sacked from MK a year ago, can't you see that's a huge concern? 

He's never managed in the Championship, never won promotion but this is the guy to take us up? Yes right.

Screenshot_20231106_162025_Samsung Internet.jpg

Has he been sacked by MK has he?

Why haven't you mentioned this before?

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Mark my words there will be some humble pie being served in 6-12 months time. Manning has a tough job but we as supporters are so out of touch with modern football coaching in the main - we are the WORST people to determine he is the wrong person for this club.

Speak to people in the game and read up about Manning and based on who we are, it's a perfectly acceptable if not a very good choice for us. 

Too many on here are blinkered by football manager and 'names' that they fail to see, the game of football has evolved massively in the last 24 months. At professional level, it's being played in a way and system not seen before and some clubs will get left behind. 

NP was stuck in the old school approach (nothing wrong with that, if your thing) but we've actually gone and got ourselves a progressive coach, that develops youth and yet posters are besides themselves at who is coming in. 

I go along with nearly all of that. The only thing I'd disagree on is NP being old school. I think that's the perception, but I found what he said to be very progressive. He cut through the crap and was brutally honest about what's needed for a high performance culture. The most successful organisations are the ones that encourage people to be honest about what's wrong and speak out, no such thing as a stupid question and so on. That's the impression I got on how Nige ran things. 

I hope we don't find ourselves in a position where everyone's afraid to give the king bad news. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

You're unreasonable because you're being wilfully dishonest.

Having concerns is valid, ignoring all the many comments people have made to you that would counter some of those to varying degrees is back to you being unreasonable. 

was honest in all that I said in my post.

You were corrected about how he has had Oxford player, you then chose to ignore that and continue to say how he plays with a system we haven't recruited for, when- for the most part- he hasn't been.

He took a side that had been bottom of the Belgian 2nd tier and finished 3rd in 1 season.

He got MK Dons to the playoffs with a points tally that would usually get automatic promotion. After they sacked him they ended up getting relegated.

He stopped Oxford being relegated last season and has them 2nd this season.

Even if you don't want him appointed, only an unreasonable person would argue against his record in the manner you have, by incessantly bringing up "MK Dons sacked him" without acknowledging anything else.

Our discussion is over and you are on my block list. 

We don't need to be getting personal when discussing footballing matters. 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Only 27...and top of their assists, if it's anyone, it would be Branagan?     

Is Branagan going to be the difference between promotion or not? I doubt it.

Would any of the other 9 clubs with a top 10 budget be looking to sign Branagan? I doubt it

If this is really what we got to look forward to the it’s worse than we thought!

4 hours ago, Zuni said:

Yep, there were some obvious (and not so) tweaks on Saturday, definitely liked the more box/square midfield shape and more proactive approach. The sending off affected that though, it seemed to me ?

I do think someone in Mannings mould could affect positive changes quite quickly.

I think much of that tweak was the inclusion of Andi Weimann as the LF / LW and his football nous to not hug the left wing and become isolated, but to form partnerships with his CMs and TC.  Not saying it was vintage Weimann by any stretch, but it helped the team imho.  Helped us pass it shorter, dialogue with James and TGH and Pring (his LB) and Knight (no10).

IMG_8947.thumb.jpeg.074638e690fbb8b6eb28092c5874bc4f.jpeg

The above shoes the average pitch position Weimann when he made his passes.

IMG_8948.jpeg.8291cb6616bfa9993f68b7501d56a9e1.jpeg

The above shows his actual passes. Likes to drift infield.

IMG_8949.jpeg.d89468269c085444acd3bb3f71fe5ac7.jpeg

The above shows where he received passes.

IMG_8950.jpeg.b96f10f4af93e979a71db674baf3039b.jpeg

Sam Bell’s seasonal pitch map, I’ve manually drawn a yellow line around the highest concentration area.  A very different profile, a very different player too…but thought Weimann did a good team job.

I love a bit of a lop-sided formation, we played with an inside-left rather than a left-winger…I think it made quite a difference.

• Flames 1
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, WorldWideRed said:

Actually quite excited by this one, watched his Oxford side completely outplay a high-flying and difficult-to-play against Stevenage side. The football was fast and forward-thinking and they completely outclassed Stevenage. Gutted to see Pearson gone and what a job he did for the club however, drawing a line in the sand, we have the man with the skills Tinnion and most modern progressive clubs want. Let's give the man a chance, I look forward to hopefully seeing a more front-foot and attacking style of football🤞 Travelling to the game on Saturday and cant wait to get behind the team and new man in charge.

Completely agree, really looking forward to somebody new with new ideas, and a modern approach on it. Will 100% be behind him. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I think much of that tweak was the inclusion of Andi Weimann as the LF / LW and his football nous to not hug the left wing and become isolated, but to form partnerships with his CMs and TC.  Not saying it was vintage Weimann by any stretch, but it helped the team imho.  Helped us pass it shorter, dialogue with James and TGH and Pring (his LB) and Knight (no10).

Sam Bell’s seasonal pitch map, I’ve manually drawn a yellow line around the highest concentration area.  A very different profile, a very different player too…but thought Weimann did a good team job.

I love a bit of a lop-sided formation, we played with an inside-left rather than a left-winger…I think it made quite a difference.

Weimann had a great game in his usual understated way.

He must be a coaches dream to work with

2 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

I go along with nearly all of that. The only thing I'd disagree on is NP being old school. I think that's the perception, but I found what he said to be very progressive. He cut through the crap and was brutally honest about what's needed for a high performance culture. The most successful organisations are the ones that encourage people to be honest about what's wrong and speak out, no such thing as a stupid question and so on. That's the impression I got on how Nige ran things. 

I hope we don't find ourselves in a position where everyone's afraid to give the king bad news. 

I meant more in his style of play, and approach. There were signs of a change approach in how he set up defensive blocks and space control, but not to the level that successful sides are showing.

Ipswich showed that in abundance just 2 weeks ago. 

4 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Me neither.

But the thing is you reposted that Tinnion said something on Twitter that may or may not be fact.

In any event- BT may believe that Manning ( if it is he) is an exciting prospect and I'd tend to agree from the research I've done from a layman's point of view.

NP ( and others) has built the foundations for a bright coach to work from so it could indeed be exciting. And what's the point of replacing NP with another in the NP mould? 

From memory it was a reply to a tweet by Tins.  But I can’t see it, Twitter history is limited in the last months after Musk made changes.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This is probably a discussion for another thread, but what are your thoughts on Tanner's defensive positioning Dave? To me I don't think I have ever seen a full back play so narrow, he seems to be constantly either just inside or just outside the penalty box no matter where the ball is. 

It is so often the case that I have to believe it's what the coaches want, but it seems to leave us so exposed down our right hand side I don't understand it.

3 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

I meant more in his style of play, and approach. There were signs of a change approach in how he set up defensive blocks and space control, but not to the level that successful sides are showing.

Ipswich showed that in abundance just 2 weeks ago. 

Fair enough, I see where you're coming from.

31 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

How can it be a perfectly acceptable if not a very good choice for us. You talk in riddles and bullshit!

Nearly every team plays roughly the same way, Pass Pass pass to boredom, no keepers kick long and no one leaves anyone upfront when defending a corner

Thinking coaches are gone, they all have the badges that tell them how to coach and that's it, boring

16 minutes ago, Zuni said:

Weimann had a great game in his usual understated way.

He must be a coaches dream to work with

No he didn't. Yes he is. 

The team as a whole will be transformed when we get 2 midfielders to go with Knight who are both mobile and technical. We have too many players in that area who are either one or the other. Or, sadly, neither. 

I'm happy for Weimann to compete for a place up front, even happier if he never plays in midfield again. 

He's got a goal in him, let's play him where he might get that goal. If that's not possible, it's cheerio in the summer.  

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

One of my big concerns is that him and Nige both have very different perspectives on the game. 

Nige has been at an elite level. He knows what we were missing and what was required to get to that level. 

Manning doesn't have that elite perspective. He's coming from League One. The step up is huge. 

The quality of players is much higher and our facilities are much better. 

Is he going to walk in and think wow all this is absolutely fantastic? Compared fo where he's come from? 

Worth pointing out that Manning took his coaching qualifications while at West Ham, coached their U23s as well - so will have the experience of much better facilities than ours albeit not as a manager.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, frenchred said:

How can it be a perfectly acceptable if not a very good choice for us. You talk in riddles and bullshit!

Nearly every team plays roughly the same way, Pass Pass pass to boredom, no keepers kick long and no one leaves anyone upfront when defending a corner

Thinking coaches are gone, they all have the badges that tell them how to coach and that's it, boring

Syntax

I believe they meant that if the appointment can't be called a "very good one" then it can at the least be considered "acceptable"

For anyone getting home from work and wanting to kill time to the announcement, have a look at the Manning thread on the Oxford forum. The switch from ‘if it happens, we’ll be fine!’, ‘he has so much integrity’, ‘he’s done fantastic whatever happens next!’ to sheer rage when the stories broke this morning is very funny. 

FWIW, I’m really pleased it’s him (I suppose I should still say ‘if’ really). Unsure at first but looking at his work so far in his fledging career, I think he has something. Here’s hoping Ashton Gate is where he really makes his name as he wins us the play-offs 😁🔴⚪

• Like 3