IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

11 minutes ago, beaverface said:

The weird thing is, even in a total fantasy, I cannot think of a candidate that I'd find exciting??!

Keegan, Dalglish, umm, Pep? Can't think of any others

Unless it's a player manager, like Ronaldo !

That's a pretty narrow pool, plenty of accomplished managers out there...Dalglish is long past it, Keegan likewise.

1 hour ago, mason said:

Who ever it is, a transfer kitty will suddenly appear, the one that was locked away from NP; Looks like Manning is incoming to take us to......well promo is the aim apparrently....will need a few years to build no doubt before we knock it down and go again Head Coach Football GIF by Bristol City FC

It’s the Bristol City way.  

In all honesty, under Lansdown, what you’ve just described is probably the closest thing this club has to an identity!

3 minutes ago, supercidered said:

FFS. League 1 has no bloody relevance to the Championship. None.

Stevenage has absolutely no relevance to the Championship. None.

I don't give a flying f@ck about Oxford or how they play and what their preferred formation is. The reason being, it's League 1 and not relevant!

Blimey, you alright mate. We have a league one manager coming to the club. Our reference for that manager is his performance in league one. Great insight in identifying league one as not being the championship. Maybe crack open a thatchers tonight to cool off x

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, WorldWideRed said:

Blimey, you alright mate. We have a league one manager coming to the club. Our reference for that manager is his performance in league one. Great insight in identifying league one as not being the championship. Maybe crack open a thatchers tonight to cool off x

Perhaps you should have read what I was replying to. Anyway, thanks for your deep insight with your 3 post so far.

4 minutes ago, WorldWideRed said:

If we want to be good in league 1 we can hire good league 1 managers.

3 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

What really happened or the real reasons perhaps we'll never know, but from JL's interview, it as least the party line... For now. 

The relationship between Nigel and the owners (AND senior management) have been strained for quite a while (hence absence of a new contract). As we know, Nigel is a forthright character, who called it as it is (rightly most of the time), but he didn’t always toe the line.

As an employer, it’s great to get ‘constructive’ criticism from employees, especially those with Nigel’s experience. But there’s a point where criticism ceases to be constructive and becomes divisive. Nigel often crossed that line in THEIR view, hence the breakdown in relations.

How do I know this… I have contacts, but here’s some recent points that caused ‘friction’.

1. Scott money. Nigel was instrumental in the development of the summer strategy (recruit early, knowing Scott was going). So he knew the budget and knew he wouldn’t get more once the sell went through. He went along with this for a while, but then gave interviews that were PERCEIVED to undermine the owners (who stuck to the strategy).

2. Loan physio. Yes, that was (on the face of it) a random appointment, but Nigel’s recital of the situation didn’t go down well, again giving the perception that the owners didn’t know what they were doing. He may well of been right, of course, but the public airing and presentation of the same weren’t well received.

3. Contract situation. Nigel gave the impression that no one had contacted him about a contract. The feeling was that Nigel knew the full situation, but was selective in what he chose to publicly disclose, again painting management in a poor light. 

I’m old enough to know that listening to one side of a story can be misleading. I don’t know what really went on, but I know enough to say that Nigel wasn’t dismissed for football reasons alone - that would be crazy, hence my original comment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

The relationship between Nigel and the owners (AND senior management) have been strained for quite a while (hence absence of a new contract). As we know, Nigel is a forthright character, who called it as it is (rightly most of the time), but he didn’t always toe the line.

As an employer, it’s great to get ‘constructive’ criticism from employees, especially those with Nigel’s experience. But there’s a point where criticism ceases to be constructive and becomes divisive. Nigel often crossed that line in THEIR view, hence the breakdown in relations.

How do I know this… I have contacts, but here’s some recent points that caused ‘friction’.

1. Scott money. Nigel was instrumental in the development of the summer strategy (recruit early, knowing Scott was going). So he knew the budget and knew he wouldn’t get more once the sell went through. He went along with this for a while, but then gave interviews that were PERCEIVED to undermine the owners (who stuck to the strategy).

2. Loan physio. Yes, that was (on the face of it) a random appointment, but Nigel’s recital of the situation didn’t go down well, again giving the perception that the owners didn’t know what they were doing. He may well of been right, of course, but the public airing and presentation of the same weren’t well received.

3. Contract situation. Nigel gave the impression that no one had contacted him about a contract. The feeling was that Nigel knew the full situation, but was selective in what he chose to publicly disclose, again painting management in a poor light. 

I’m old enough to know that listening to one side of a story can be misleading. I don’t know what really went on, but I know enough to say that Nigel wasn’t dismissed for football reasons alone - that would be crazy, hence my original comment.

Spot on. Very well written and accurate post. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If it is Manning, its difficult to see him being appointed this side of Wednesday. 

It's quite tinpot that we could potentially be waiting for a EFL trophy game to be out of the way before bringing the guy in. 

We have our own prep to do for the weekend. 

Perhaps, just perhaps, it ain't him !:fingerscrossed:

Edited by slartibartfast

10 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Perhaps you should have read what I was replying to. Anyway, thanks for your deep insight with your 3 post so far.

Replying to Liam Manning beating the teams around him (in league 1). Have all your thousands of posts been angry or do some of them involve positive engagements with your peers and fellow reds?

6 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

You are correct Sir.

11 minutes ago, Pezo said:

If we want to be good in league 1 we can hire good league 1 managers.

Who are you hiring then out of interest? No premier league managers that can beat premier League teams would come to us. The championship quality managers that have, with mixed success, beaten championship teams are quite uninspiring. At least here we are getting a forward thinking, yes untested, but attacking manager.