IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

11 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I disagree. Over the past year performances have been pretty consistent, just that results haven't been and that's probably due to all the injuries and Pearson being given the bare min to spend. 

You are somewhat dismissing how difficult it is to sort out defensive frailties. Its not just a tactical thing, it's a mentality thing. 

This season I felt we had taking a huge leap forward with that. We had players throwing their bodies on the line to prevent goals and that was without the likes of Atkinson and Vyner.

Definitely better defensively this season - bit our attacking play has gone to pot & we look like we have very little plan, Bar the occasional counter attack. 

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

Definitely better defensively this season - bit our attacking play has gone to pot & we look like we have very little plan, Bar the occasional counter attack. 

But isn't that down to Alex Scott being sold and a replacement not being brought in? 

Also Conway and Wells have been injured. 

Sykes has had to be moved around the team to cover positions. 

We've then had injuries in midfield too.

So with all that in consideration you can understand why we may have not been as attacking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Seems like this is done with an announcement tomorrow morning likely. 

I'm surprised so many are dismissing Manning. I think given the position we are in and what we are specifically looking for he's a very good fit. He's been coaching since he was 21 and has a decent amount of L1 experience.

Mousinho wasn't going to leave Pompey so Manning made next most sense.

People bemoaning lack of experience should take a look at who Millwall have just appointed. Gotta start somewhere...

It's City, and the structure behind him still gives me a lot of concern, but Manning is a good appointment I reckon and about as good as we could've hoped for. 

I don’t think it’s so much about writing him off, it’s about the level of expectation the club have set.

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm surprised so many are dismissing Manning. I think given the position we are in and what we are specifically looking for he's a very good fit. He's been coaching since he was 21 and has a decent amount of L1 experience.

People bemoaning lack of experience should take a look at who Millwall have just appointed. Gotta start somewhere...

It's City, and the structure behind him still gives me a lot of concern, but Manning is a good appointment I reckon and about as good as we could've hoped for. 

Who’s his No2 at Oxford? I think whoever he brings in of his staff will also be important in how he develops our playing style as he certainly has Oxford playing some fantastic attacking football apparently having spoken to a few people I know who follow Oxford. They weren’t sure when he joined earlier this year but say he’s got them playing the best football they have seen at the club in the time they’ve been following which is 30 years 

Appreciate it’s L1 but playing principles and coaching apply at any level, just the players are a higher quality the further up the pyramid you coach - hopefully 😄

40 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Agreed , but we need to move on its like Pearson is a bloody club icon. Thankful for what he did behind the scenes and I'm sure that foundation will be used in a way he had plans for, but on the pitch it wasn't very good at times. The amount of away games I've been to in the last 3 seasons where almost all the city fans booed the players and were not happy was alot more common than the pearson cult will admit. Like I said the hard work from how the club is ran is fantastic and I'm hoping that identity stays for a long time.  I'm looking foward to a new chapter now and seeing whats next !

But…

…what happens behind the scenes (in this recent past) has a very direct influence on what you can do on the pitch.

I don’t think you can separate them.

• Like 5

Just now, Davefevs said:

But…

…what happens behind the scenes (in this recent past) has a very direct influence on what you can do on the pitch.

I don’t think you can separate them.

Wage structure, recruitment policy and making use of academy I think is something that pearson helped implement and would be shocked to see the club abandon that 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gratz260689 said:

He’s been in the Chelsea set up for the last 20 years worked under tuchel etc I’d imagine that’s a better pedigree than getting sales at MK dons, 😂

Manning has been a coach for 17 years, coached for West Ham, got hired by the City Group who don't just hire anyone and has done a good job at every club he has managed.

So I'd say it could be argued that Manning has the better pedigree as he's actually translated his coaching to first team management.

I'd personally say there's not a lot between them in terms of "pedigree"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I don’t think it’s so much about writing him off, it’s about the level of expectation the club have set.

Really? I’m amazed at the amount of surprise at this appointment. It was obviously going to be along these lines, no matter the shit the club spout. All we can do is get behind him and vent any anger at the three buffoons. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, publandlord said:

one gem from the Oxford forum is that he loves to give powerpoint presentations to the board   LJ mark 2 ???

He may like to do that but let him do his thing, if he gets us playing decent football and it works ... Book me in to watch a power point

If hes our manager, let's back him and not say he's x y or z! Let's judge him on what he does 👍

• Flames 1

32 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

He may well be, but would be good to hear from someone close to his career (maybe it’s somewhere in this thread) with views on why he seems to have blown very hot (MK season 1 and Oxford) and very cold (MK season 2). Maybe MK season 2 will turn out to be his career blip, but would still be interesting to understand. If it was a blip, we’re doing very well to get him, just maybe lacking enough history to be confident yet. 

Have a read of a few of @Harry’s posts over the past few days.

I’m part way through writing my own thoughts, now it looks like he’s about to join.

23 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not sure about that, Pearson will have got the remainder of his contract, which he was always getting.

Oxford yes though not sure managerial compensation will be all that much.

January is of far more interest, we expected TGH to be made permanent but any other expenditure definitely wasn’t going to be sanctioned with Nige in charge.

Yep, Nige, Jason and Dave’s wages will be “sunk”, already budgeted for.

New head-coach and potential staff will require compo to Oxford and additional wages to what was budgeted in March.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Surely any HC would have input on any new signing?

100%. I don’t think anyone truly knows Tinnion’s role but i’d be shocked and equally terrified if he had full control of future signings and Manning had no say.  I just can’t see it working like that personally.

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bris Red said:

100%. I don’t think anyone truly knows Tinnion’s role but i’d be shocked and equally terrified if he had full control of future signings and Manning had no say.  I just can’t see it working like that personally.

Yes, the recruitment model is well established. Manning will get final say of the players given to him.  We will see over time how actively involved he is from start to finish.

Nige was literally right at the start and at the end, not much in between.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Agreed. As soon as I saw the list of potential candidates he stuck out to me along with Williams. We are Bristol City and can only appoint accordingly.  If he improves us then what a masterstroke! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jose said:

Really? I’m amazed at the amount of surprise at this appointment. It was obviously going to be along these lines, no matter the shit the club spout. All we can do is get behind him and vent any anger at the three buffoons. 

What is there to be amazed by? If you asked 22k city fans a week ago who would be able to come and lead this team to promotion this season I bet not one person would have said Manning! The decision to appoint him seems to be based on him being young. He has no track record to warrant this job. 

It had all the makings of LJ mark 2!

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1

32 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

BUT!

He's not German...😉

23 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

Really, because I made this point to someone else earlier.

You're argument seems to be that the next manager should be one who has a promotion from the Championship if that is our aim.

Thats very flawed reasoning.

If every team takes that approach, no manager without a previous promotion will ever have a realistic shot at getting a promotion because they'll be at a club that's in a relegation fight or expect to be around mid table.

So what happens then? How do managers show they're capable if they're not given the opportunity to do so?

Should Burnley have not kept Kompany?

What experience of qualifying for Champions League football did Arteta have? Or Howe?

What about the managers that have got a promotion from the Championship but failed to replicate it in the time since? Why should they take precedent over someone who has only ever had a good record at the clubs they've managed?

Should Huddersfield not have appointed Wagner, because he'd never won a promotion before then?

Cotterill had never been promoted from League 1 before we appointed him, but that worked out fairly well.

I get ya.

What gives you more chance of getting promoted a manager that has been promoted or a manager that hasn't? By your logic I could be as good a football manager as anyone else so only another 8 billion people in the world to try before we find out match.

In the last 20 years we have had 2 managers that have had experience of getting teams out of this league (in the correct direction) one of them stayed for about 3 games because the Lansdown are C u next Tuesday's. Meanwhile the rest of the time as we bounce between the second and third tier we have appointed good tacticians that can't drive an ethic into a team, we get soft like our managers/coaches - the type of people the Lansdowns know live in fear of there wealth and power over them.

It's not that I'm anti someone that hasn't been promoted before but I don't trust the Lansdowns to get this right at all - they don't know what makes a successful football team so they don't know what they are looking for in someone to create it. The only option is someone who has already demonstrated that they know what they are doing otherwise there are going to be a lot more upset people around Ashton gate.

• Like 1

Speaking with "someone" tonight who knows Manning and Hogg very well, said that it looks a done deal (said it was between Manning and Mousinho) and that Manning is exactly what City need at the moment. Couldn't praise his coaching attributes or the job he did/has done at MK and Oxford highly enough. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1