IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

1 minute ago, fisherrich said:

It’s just another way of regaining control by the Lansdownes. Pretty obvious to most. Rather have “Yes Boss” coaches than a manager who told us all the truth. Johnson mark 2 recruitment in Manning.

What have you seen in Manning that suggests he's a "yes man"?

What is a "yes man"?

I've seen a few people accusing Manning of being this, but no one's really shown why they think he is one.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

It’s just another way of regaining control by the Lansdownes. Pretty obvious to most. Rather have “Yes Boss” coaches than a manager who told us all the truth. Johnson mark 2 recruitment in Manning.

What exactly are you basing this on? How much personal contact have you had with Manning to know he's a yes man? As the only thing I have heard is from Oxford Journos that he is certainly his own man and does not mince his words. 

6 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Your constant drivel and attack against the owners would gain 3-4% more credibility if you were able to spell their name  correctly after over 20 years.

Edited by Marina's Rolls Royce
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

What is a "yes man"?

I've seen a few people accusing Manning of being this, but no one's really shown why they think he is one.

Totally.

Certainly seen the comment (repeated last night on SOTC by the BBC Oxford guy) that his press conferences are a bit dull, but that’s a completely different thing.

Danny Wilson did this too, his answers could have been scripted for a politician, basically never said anything.

There is no indication at all Manning is a yes man, whatever the views on how we got here, to have achieved what he has in football (appointed as head coach for 2 EFL clubs) without any significant playing career shows a lot of determination & drive.

• Like 1

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

What is a "yes man"?

While I don’t think it’s fair on him, I think the wider point is, as with any job on the planet, if your relatively inexperienced in a role, your not really in a strong position  to enact any/all the deviations you’d like from the strategy set from above.

I guess it all depends on his remit. Do I think he’ll tolerate being told who to pick, no probably not. Do I think there’s other areas where he’ll acquiesce to those above, yes. I think you’d have to be a massive “name” to do otherwise with the latter in the modern game. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

To me this read more as a rambling piece intent on massaging the Lansdowns’ egos at every given opportunity. It gives them far more credit with regards to some master plan being in place than we know to actually be true.

They didn’t like Pearson as a person and are simply reverting back to the “Lee Johnson plan” which ultimately left the club in such a mess last time, with Tinnion now seemingly taking up the role of Mark Ashton.

Completely agree.

51 minutes ago, astrondrew said:

Given how young a coach he is, Manning is probably an electric car.

In which case everyone is needlessly worrying about the unknown and he's actually brilliant and nothing to worry about.

Just to stretch the metaphor beyond breaking point.

Then we could do FAR worse than a Skoda Enyaq - I looked very closely at my choice for my first electric car and chose one of those 😃

7 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

While I don’t think it’s fair on him, I think the wider point is, as with any job on the planet, if your relatively inexperienced in a role, your not really in a strong position  to enact any/all the deviations you’d like from the strategy set from above.

I guess it all depends on his remit. Do I think he’ll tolerate being told who to pick, no probably not. Do I think there’s other areas where he’ll acquiesce to those above, yes. I think you’d have to be a massive “name” to do otherwise with the latter in the modern game. 

If your new employer has just paid somewhere around 0.5/1 million pounds to get you through the door I'd argue you are in a massively strong position to tell the people who are employing you exactly what you want.

The man is in a position where we absolutely have to sell the club to him as there are no signs he's not going to carry on doing what he's doing at Oxford and if he did there would be far bigger fish lurking for him than us. 

I think if we are telling him there are areas where he cannot have any control that he is not happy with he is in a more than healthy enough position to say thanks but no thanks. 

Edited by Spud21
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Well just imagine what it's like for McCrorie who lives somewhere north of Glasgow and has to be on the treatment table by 9a.m..

It's crazy that all these people do so much driving everyday. If only Bristol had flats to rent or hotels or a good Air B&B. 

Where do you get this from?

7 hours ago, Malago said:

It doesn’t matter who we employ, if we keep selling our best players we'll be going nowhere fast.

But I suspect Tinnion thinks, and has persuaded Guernsey to believe, that it doesn't matter if we keep selling - because there will always be another young un ready to roll off the academy production line into the first team.

And thus the owner's pipedream of self-sustainability comes to fruition. All the while Tinnion pouring soothing balm into the owner's ear, telling him exactly what he wants to hear. Not a single dissenting voice or a critical eye cast over the governance of our club.

Deluded. It's like the two of them plus Junior live in some sort of fuckw1t bubble.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 6
  • Flames 5

57 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

To me this read more as a rambling piece intent on massaging the Lansdowns’ egos at every given opportunity. It gives them far more credit with regards to some master plan being in place than we know to actually be true.

They didn’t like Pearson as a person and are simply reverting back to the “Lee Johnson plan” which ultimately left the club in such a mess last time, with Tinnion now seemingly taking up the role of Mark Ashton.

When do we think a "masterplan" stops becoming a masterplan?

Masterplans are supposed to be clever, yet Guernsey's has taken more than 20 years.

So not very clever at all, then. Or else very, very cunning.

Cue Baldrick as Lansdown... (they're about as clever as each other when it comes to soccer)

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

41 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Think the Bernard Manning metaphors will catch on ……

“Do you know how I got this job son? By being the best in the ****ing business. I’ve managed them all - New York, Oxford, West Ham, MK - and they all ****ing loved me. Why? Because I’m the best in the ****ing business”

If he came out with that at his first press conference, while wearing an XXL pair of shitted Y fronts, he’s got my vote.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

But what if he doesn’t . Bit of a doom & gloom merchant ain’t you ? All you’ve done is be negative but when someone calls  you out you start crying about it  saying you’re being picked on (paraphrasing ) chill out mate . We have to move on & get behind the new bloke . It’s football , it happens 

As I've said in previous posts, the Lansdowns do not have a good track record with these type of appointments.

I'm not sure why you are crying about others having concerns about this appointment.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

My hunch if Manning does arrive, in January we'll be asking Brighton to recall Beadle in goal at Oxford to come here. He's impressed at Oxford and has the ability to play out from the back.

Yep, I think the first position under threat when Manning gets the chance to bring in his own players will be Max’s.

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

As I've said in previous posts, the Lansdowns do not have a good track record with these type of appointments.

I'm not sure why you are crying about others having concerns about this appointment.

TBH Seagull, for myself, I'm less worried about the appointment than I am depressed by the waste-of-money and wasted opportunity that the sacking of Nigel Pearson represented.

That move was completely without any football justification, but as soon as it became obvious they were hemming and hawing about his contract, you knew you were watching a slo-mo car crash.

Pearson will be yet another "what might have been" to add to the owners' collection. 

Edited by Red-Robbo
  • Like 15

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Nobody is crying about people having concerns, but you have just made up a load of shit to have a moan, so you are getting called out on it. 

• Like 1

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

Seems like you're making up shit here just because I don't conform to the same opinion as you.

Really, like Manning playing 3 at the back, despite being told multiple times that he played a back 4? Like Pearson having an elite mentality when Manning has spent more time at an elite club than Nige has? 

There are plenty of people who have raised concerns, and have been downright apaplectic about Niges sacking, who have not resorted to making stuff up about manning to have a whinge. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

TBH Seagull, for myself, I'm less worried about the appointment than I am depressed by the waste-of-money and wasted opportunity that the sacking of Nigel Pearson represented.

That move was completely without any football justification, but as soon as it became obvious they were hemming and hawing about his contract, you knew you were watching a slo-mo car crash.

Pearson will be yet another "what might have been" to add to the owners' collection. 

Good Post.

I think that’s probably where most of us sit. I have no real issue in the owners thinking Pearson wasn’t the right man to take us forward, but the manner of it and the timing and the justification was just nonsense. However, “we are where we are”.

The sacking I have most in mind when looking at what’s happened here is when Southampton sacked Adkins. There wasn’t a footballing justification for it, but they sacked him because they wanted Poch in (who was unknown in this country then). It was a gamble, but it can work sometimes as that did. The problem is we all know from history that gambles are just that, and as such it’s very difficult to get excited when we seemed to be going in the right direction prior.

• Like 15

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Good Post.

I think that’s probably where most of us sit. I have no real issue in the owners thinking Pearson wasn’t the right man to take us forward, but the manner of it and the timing and the justification was just nonsense. However, “we are where we are”.

The sacking I have most in mind when looking at what’s happened here is when Southampton sacked Adkins. There wasn’t a footballing justification for it, but they sacked him because they wanted Poch in (who was unknown in this country then). It was a gamble, but it can work sometimes as that did. The problem is we all know from history that gambles are just that, and as such it’s very difficult to get excited when we seemed to be going in the right direction prior.

Indeed amd it will be interesting to see what the powers that be have to say after the appointment was made, was the timing influenced by goings on elsewhere and was Manning or similar always the succession plan for Nige but for whatever reason the board thought that something going on elsewhere meant that there was an opportunity to get the man / type of man they wanted now thst would not be there if they waited longer. 

I can't see any reason for the timing other than for some reason they felt now was a time they could get manning that wouldn't present it's self again in their eyes. 

We will never truly know the exact reasoning as frankly I'm not sure any of us can understand it as it makes so little sense from outside. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Spud21 said:

Really, like Manning playing 3 at the back, despite being told multiple times that he played a back 4? Like Pearson having an elite mentality when Manning has spent more time at an elite club than Nige has? 

There are plenty of people who have raised concerns, and have been downright apaplectic about Niges sacking, who have not resorted to making stuff up about manning to have a whinge. 

It's clear he is a big fan of using 3 at the back. 

An apology would be nice.

Screenshot_20231107_084916_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231107_085149_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231107_085720_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 1