IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Brentford sold plenty of theirs tbh, they got up in time to a degree but pushing FFP may have had another year at it before having to have a reckoning.

It is fairly normal in the Championship though and not just the Championship. I am hopeful that Scott might have been the last for a bit.

What Brentford did was have succession planning built-in, so when they lost a player the replacement (who often turned out to be better in time) was already in the building ready to come in

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

But I suspect Tinnion thinks, and has persuaded Guernsey to believe, that it doesn't matter if we keep selling - because there will always be another young un ready to roll off the academy production line into the first team.

And thus the owner's pipedream of self-sustainability comes to fruition. All the while Tinnion pouring soothing balm into the owner's ear, telling him exactly what he wants to hear. Not a single dissenting voice or a critical eye cast over the governance of our club.

Deluded. It's like the two of them plus Junior live in some sort of fuckw1t bubble.

Not a bad shout there and I’ve long believed that’s how Mark Ashton lasted so long.  

Kept telling Lansdown he’d keep picking him up loads of gems who could later be sold on for massive profits.  

Instead of that, we were left with loads of deadwood who rarely, if ever played.  We found we then couldn’t sell them, so they helped bleed the club dry with wages, ran down their contracts and then left on a free.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It's clear he is a big fan of using 3 at the back. 

An apology would be nice.

Screenshot_20231107_084916_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231107_085149_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231107_085720_Samsung Internet.jpg

He's used a back 3 in 3 of his games at Oxford, and about similar in his time at MK dons, look at all the tracking sites and they all say he plays 4-2-3-1 in the majority of his games

2 minutes ago, Spud21 said:

Indeed amd it will be interesting to see what the powers that be have to say after the appointment was made, was the timing influenced by goings on elsewhere and was Manning or similar always the succession plan for Nige but for whatever reason the board thought that something going on elsewhere meant that there was an opportunity to get the man / type of man they wanted now thst would not be there if they waited longer. 

I can't see any reason for the timing other than for some reason they felt now was a time they could get manning that wouldn't present it's self again in their eyes. 

We will never truly know the exact reasoning as frankly I'm not sure any of us can understand it as it makes so little sense from outside. 

I think @Harry or @Kid in the Riot mentioned that Rob Edwards was “on the list” before he went to Watford and I think it’s plausible that Manning has been “on the list” for some time and the club acted because they saw how well Oxford were going, and, having already decided they didn’t like/want Nige any more, didn’t want to wait until the end of the season in case Mannings stock became too high and he was out of our reach then. To engineer things though, was a bit beyond the pale - and some of this is PR. Had the club come out and made more of a statement around “stabilised the club, this is the next step, natural break” it would have been a lot more palatable.

I think it was @The Journalist who made a post a few weeks back about this always (potentially) being the plan but there was now cold feet as Nige wanted to carry on. It’s the closest I can see to a reasonable explanation - but again, the fact the club haven’t given tat reasonable explanation and instead given the car crash they have is a large reason for the toxicity currently - and ironically, that in turn gives Manning less opportunity to succeed here.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think @Harry or @Kid in the Riot mentioned that Rob Edwards was “on the list” before he went to Watford and I think it’s plausible that Manning has been “on the list” for some time and the club acted because they saw how well Oxford were going, and, having already decided they didn’t like/want Nige any more, didn’t want to wait until the end of the season in case Mannings stock became too high and he was out of our reach then. To engineer things though, was a bit beyond the pale - and some of this is PR. Had the club come out and made more of a statement around “stabilised the club, this is the next step, natural break” it would have been a lot more palatable.

I think it was @The Journalist who made a post a few weeks back about this always (potentially) being the plan but there was now cold feet as Nige wanted to carry on. It’s the closest I can see to a reasonable explanation - but again, the fact the club haven’t given tat reasonable explanation and instead given the car crash they have is a large reason for the toxicity currently - and ironically, that in turn gives Manning less opportunity to succeed here.

I think there might be much more the club could reveal about the NP era but legally are unable - not ITK but seems like it to me.

It certainly looks like the plan was to let him see out his contract, shake hands and move on but something drastic has occurred (possibly) and NPs comments in the media recently will not have helped his cause.

• Flames 1

Just now, Spud21 said:

He's used a back 3 in 3 of his games at Oxford, and about similar in his time at MK dons, look at all the tracking sites and they all say he plays 4-2-3-1 in the majority of his games

I posted the information where I drew my opinion from. Its been more than 3 games.

The information I've seen suggests he preferred 3atb at MK Dons. 

If you don't wish to admit you were wrong to call me out for my concerns then that's fine. 

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think @Harry or @Kid in the RiotTo engineer things though, was a bit beyond the pale - and some of this is PR. Had the club come out and made more of a statement around “stabilised the club, this is the next step, natural break” it would have been a lot more palatable.

@The Journalist

Cant remove the tags for some reason. 

Absolutely on that one, the way the board have handled it for me has been nothing short of disgraceful, I would have been a bit shocked and miffed with a "Nige has done a teriffic job at stabilising the club when we need him to but we feel a new direction is needed to kick in from the incredible foundations Nige has out in place" but they way they did it was all kinds of wrong and not entirely out of context considering the general standard of decisions and communication (not just football related we have had many debacles in the general running of the club over the last few years) we have seen particularly since JL has taken a more active role in the club. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pillred said:

FFs! Do you think that with ALL the players we have to rejoin in the next month or so potentially we have any chance of being in the position to be relegated?

We are just as likely to get more injuries as we are to get them all back and all back firing on all cylinders. Even if that happens, I can't see relegation happening but I can see us being in a very uncomfortable position. It's just one of those seasons where there are definitely 3 worse teams than us whatever our injury situation looks like.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Now I'm not claiming in any way to be ITK.  But I was told by a former player (who was informed) that the club (especially the players) were sick to death of Nigel and one of the main reasons we have such a terrible injury list was down to the constant beasting they were getting from Rennie.  Whether this is true or not, I do not know.  The Lansdown's want out asap apparently, but no one wants "Bristol Sport" for a variety of reasons.  (But that's not such a shock).   One thing I do know, the statement the club have put out about having a top 10 budget and a good enough squad, they've invited a serious amount of pressure on themselves.   Best case scenario, we go up!  Worse case, well you know the drill by now.  

• Flames 1
  • Facepalm 5

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

In the current cost cutting climate it's not the cheap option though is it?
An OOC manager might be, but 6 months salary for Nige then paying Oxford for someone who has only been in place a short while. I saw a rumour of £600k, so around £1m to change Managers ?

I'll wait to see, as you always have to, and get behind the team. As always , time will tell.

Not a chance in hell it’s £600k buyout. It’s reported to be one years salary, no way he’s on £600k a year!

1 minute ago, supercidered said:

We are just as likely to get more injuries as we are to get them all back and all back firing on all cylinders. Even if that happens, I can't see relegation happening but I can see us being in a very uncomfortable position. It's just one of those seasons where there are definitely 3 worse teams than us whatever our injury situation looks like.

Mid table. This year and until the end of days. Round And Round Spinning GIF by Sunny Bunnies

51 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

But I suspect Tinnion thinks, and has persuaded Guernsey to believe, that it doesn't matter if we keep selling - because there will always be another young un ready to roll off the academy production line into the first team.

And thus the owner's pipedream of self-sustainability comes to fruition. All the while Tinnion pouring soothing balm into the owner's ear, telling him exactly what he wants to hear. Not a single dissenting voice or a critical eye cast over the governance of our club.

Deluded. It's like the two of them plus Junior live in some sort of fuckw1t bubble.

…and that’s fine if those academy players coming through are ready / good enough to keep taking us forward.  When they stop being able to progress you what does he do then?

You could argue that no academy player has broken through this season.  We joke about a conveyor belt, but it’s not.  It’s still impressive the number we have got through, but it’s not linear.  Yeboah hasn’t broken through, he’s yet to start, he’s yet to oust a “first-teamer”.  He’s not done a Bell or Conway yet.  That’s not me trying to put a downer on it, just a bit of realism that we’ve had a purple batch.  I guess Ayman’s return would be a real bonus…fingers crossed.

25 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

TBH Seagull, for myself, I'm less worried about the appointment than I am depressed by the waste-of-money and wasted opportunity that the sacking of Nigel Pearson represented.

That move was completely without any football justification, but as soon as it became obvious they were hemming and hawing about his contract, you knew you were watching a slo-mo car crash.

Pearson will be yet another "what might have been" to add to the owners' collection. 

I think you and @Silvio Dante got there first.

Hugely annoyed they’ve sacked Nige (and his staff - let’s not forget that), but the only connect between Nige and Manning is that he’s his successor.  I don’t see that as a reason to “diss” Manning….not least before he’s been announced and showed what he can do.

I said when Nige was sacked I wouldn’t go down the route of researching prospective rumoured managers because I could probably spin it either way, everyone comes with pros and cons, depends how heavily you want to go on either side.  So no anger re Manning at all, good luck to him.  I hope I see him in as positive a way as I did Nige, even if it’s for different reasons.

And for a piece of pure made-up stuff, imagine Nige was the one who identified Manning as a potential successor.  That would change things wouldn’t it?

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It's clear he is a big fan of using 3 at the back. 

An apology would be nice.

Screenshot_20231107_084916_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231107_085149_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231107_085720_Samsung Internet.jpg

⬇️⬇️⬇️

6 minutes ago, Spud21 said:

I think it’s pretty clear that he played back 3 at MKD and predominately back 4 at Oxford.

My takeaway is that he has a flexible approach, just like Nige did….tries to find the best approach for the players he has.

IMG_8945.jpeg.b36f503900eaa435caf5b5447b77e9ab.jpeg

On an aside, I’m not sure if it’s a sign that Manning is definitely coming or who he’s bringing with him, but Craig Short’s (First Team Coach at Oxford) missus started following me on twitter last night. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

While I don’t think it’s fair on him, I think the wider point is, as with any job on the planet, if your relatively inexperienced in a role, your not really in a strong position  to enact any/all the deviations you’d like from the strategy set from above.

I guess it all depends on his remit. Do I think he’ll tolerate being told who to pick, no probably not. Do I think there’s other areas where he’ll acquiesce to those above, yes. I think you’d have to be a massive “name” to do otherwise with the latter in the modern game. 

Ok. I appreciate the reply.

If a little acquiescence and agreement with his employers means that Manning (or anyone) can be dismissed as a "yes man" then there's no hope for anyone. My response is: do you want a manager who constantly tries to deviate from the strategy/plan/ideas set by those who a) employ him, b) set the budget, c) manage transfers, and d) generally run the club?

Even if their strategy/plan/ideas are awful, having someone who constantly operates in opposition to them is only going to cause strife, disruption, and ultimately end one way - he will lose his job. 

Now, to be clear, I advocate for healthy debate and challenge between senior people at the club (this is an issue at board level), but that debate needs direction, and needs to be constructive.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Homer Simpson said:

Can we really compete at the top with this squad? Or do we need increased Manning levels?

Hide Reaction GIF by flor

Yes we defo need increased manning levels, we have a very small sqiad and have to rely on kids who should be out on loan to learn there trade Bell Yeboah included NP wanted to bring more players in but wasn't allowed due to the wages budget it'll be interesting to see if LM has the same restraints+

Sorry just got the joke :laugh: D'oh !!!

Edited by westonred

5 minutes ago, Isawjonshaw said:

Now I'm not claiming in any way to be ITK.  But I was told by a former player (who was informed) that the club (especially the players) were sick to death of Nigel and one of the main reasons we have such a terrible injury list was down to the constant beasting they were getting from Rennie.  Whether this is true or not, I do not know.  The Lansdown's want out asap apparently, but no one wants "Bristol Sport" for a variety of reasons.  (But that's not such a shock).   One thing I do know, the statement the club have put out about having a top 10 budget and a good enough squad, they've invited a serious amount of pressure on themselves.   Best case scenario, we go up!  Worse case, well you know the drill by now.  

That reads very much as a “lost the dressing room” scenario - I think we can all be confident that didn’t happen, and your source was incorrect.

Unless the former player in question was Brian Tinnion, obviously.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 1

6 minutes ago, Isawjonshaw said:

I know of one shit-stirrer in the Sports Science dept!!!!  He has been a long-time feeder of shit into our WhatsApp group through one of our group.

• Flames 1