IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

As I've said in previous posts, the Lansdowns do not have a good track record with these type of appointments.

I'm not sure why you are crying about others having concerns about this appointment.

I’m not. It’s you moaning about being picked on . I know full well the lansdowns appointments , but this is tinnion’s appointment. JL said last week he’s not the football expert so means tinnion has suggested him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, that was me. Very sure Manning has been on the list for quite a while too. 

People don't want to hear it at the moment, but I still think the main factor which hastened Nige's departure was his health. Obviously the club cannot go on record as saying this but the reality of having a manager that couldn't walk, had barely been seen on the training pitches for 7 weeks, and had no diagnosis let alone prognosis for what the problem was, and was going to need further time off to ascertain what the problem was (he spent most of last week in Kings College Hospital, London meaning he'd have spent even more time away from training) - in the end did it for Nige.

Of course there were other factors too, a perceived lack of improvement in performances and results this season, and a further breakdown in relationship between Nige and the club. He may have lasted a bit longer had the back issue not arisen, but it was inevitable he was going to be sacked at some point before his contract expired next summer. 

With Rennie given the boot do you think the regime in general was also blamed for the injury crisis?

The point of Rennie is an interesting one, and one that hasn’t been discussed by the club at all actually. 

Will there be a replacement appointed for him? Will they just see it as saved cash and let someone do 3 roles in 1 like with the CEO role? Paddy Orne is also leaving, so not many senior/experienced people left there in the near future 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The way the depleted squad has been playing for Nige recently says that's not true.

There will be 'former players' who hold a grudge against him, particularly some of those whose poor attitude, displayed before and after his arrival, meant he had to move them on.

No surprise if one of these was 'sick to death of NP' and wants to bad mouth him now but if he fell out with NP the fault almost certainly lay at his door.

I doubt any of the current players were sick to death of him, just the opposite, not only because of the way they clearly played for him but shown by their messages when he left. My impression is he was extremely well liked and respected by the current squad.

As for the injuries & Rennie, the former player wouldn't know and just seems determined, as with Nige, to put him in the worst possible light.

Probably Marley Watkins

Pearson actually had the temerity to interrupt his mid morning snooze hiding in the kit room and tell him to go out kicking balls about

Disgusting management

* A few need to recall the Marley Watkins hiding in the HPC during training sums up what a shower of **** Pearson walked into 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Just now, mozo said:

With Rennie given the boot do you think the regime in general was also blamed for the injury crisis?

I think there's absolutely no doubt about that. JL describing fears of "deconditioning" of players and stating the two long breaks taken over the international breaks as being "unprecedented at Championship level", is squarely putting the blame for the injury list at the door of Rennie and Nige. 

Again, people won't like it, but I assume JL has some evidence/second opinion to back up those claims otherwise they could be perceived as libelous. 

Players will often get their own private medical consultants to check-up on their injuries. Maybe the feedback from some was that a few of the injuries were preventable... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Isawjonshaw said:

I don't disagree with any of that.  Just passing on what was said.  The former player did not play under Nige.  

If he hasn't been there under Nige he can't have any direct knowledge as to whether Rennie was in any way culpable for the injury situation and can only have taken his opinion that the players thoroughly disliked Nige from someone who had played under him, and that could be one of those who possibly held a grudge against him for reasons given in my previous post.

As he said the players are sick to death of Nige I discount everything he's said because afaic we could see by their performances this was absolutely not the case.

They were giving their utmost for him, to a man.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

Sorry chaps. I just wanted to chip in on the 3 at the back debate. 

When at MK Dons, I watched a lot of their games that season (as I was watching Scott Twine as much as I could). 
They played 3 CB’s. Darling central, O’Hora right and Lewington left. 
It can be easy to think that Lewington can be listed as a left back but that season he was playing as the left CB in a 3. 

At Oxford, he started out with 4 at the back. But has recently changed to 3 after the signing of Greg Leigh late in August. 

At the start of the season he was generally playing Ciaron Brown LB, Sam Long RB, with Elliot Moore plus one of either Stephan Negru or Jordan Thornily as the 2 CB’s. 

After Leigh was signed (as well as Fin Stevens on loan from Brentford) he’s generally played 3 (5 of the last 7 games). 
Elliot Moore has been the central CB, with Sam Long RCB and Ciaron Brown LCB. 
He’s then had Fin Stevens at RWB and Greg Leigh at LWB. 

Again, if you look at some of the formations listed on various websites, a lot of the time it’s a bit of a guess by the person who input that team onto the site. The 5 names listed above only has 1 true CB in Moore. The other 4 are traditionally full backs. So it’s easy to think that he’s playing a 4 and some sites seem to show Leigh as playing as a left winger. 
From what I’ve seen that’s not the case. Leigh is definitely playing as a wing back. But the way Manning played at MK and from what I can see so far at Oxford is that he likes the wing backs to play very high and the 2 outside CB’s to split very wide. 

So yes, you are both technically correct. He’s played both a 4 and a 3 this season. But given he’s recruited Stevens and Leigh (and given he played it at MK) my inkling is that his preference is a 3. 

Yea think that's perfectly reasonable and it seems he very much uses the tools he has at his disposal to get what he wants, but will not come blundering in and shoehorn players into a 3 that aren't capable of doing it even if that is his preferred set up. 

I don't actually see any reason we can't play 3 at the back with the squad we have, think Pring can be a fantastic left sided CB in a 3, i maybe have concerns with the right of the 3 as I don't think Vyner plays it well, but see no reason Dickie couldn't play there or maybe Tanner as he seems to defend very narrow, with Vyner in the center, I still wouldn't expect it right now as I don't think we have the numbers to play it consistently at least until Atkinson is back and fully fit. 

Agree on those websites which is why I didn't give them 100% credence until I admittedly lost my rag a bit with the hyperbole that some people were coming out with as if Manning would walk in and stick a back 3 out just because he loves it when it's clear he is happy to change his formation to suit and from his interviews he doesn't seem to want to get drawing into rigid I play 3-4-3 or 5-4-1 or 4-2-3-1.

• Like 2

Just now, Spud21 said:

Yea think that's perfectly reasonable and it seems he very much uses the tools he has at his disposal to get what he wants, but will not come blundering in and shoehorn players into a 3 that aren't capable of doing it even if that is his preferred set up. 

I don't actually see any reason we can't play 3 at the back with the squad we have, think Pring can be a fantastic left sided CB in a 3, i maybe have concerns with the right of the 3 as I don't think Vyner plays it well, but see no reason Dickie couldn't play there or maybe Tanner as he seems to defend very narrow, with Vyner in the center, I still wouldn't expect it right now as I don't think we have the numbers to play it consistently at least until Atkinson is back and fully fit. 

Agree on those websites which is why I didn't give them 100% credence until I admittedly lost my rag a bit with the hyperbole that some people were coming out with as if Manning would walk in and stick a back 3 out just because he loves it when it's clear he is happy to change his formation to suit and from his interviews he doesn't seem to want to get drawing into rigid I play 3-4-3 or 5-4-1 or 4-2-3-1.

Isn't Pring our best option as wing back? Or does Sam Bell have to track back? 

Just now, mozo said:

Potentially, but I'd think Roberts is more likely to be the wing back if there is one, as from what I've seen he looks far better going forward than defending. 

Whereas Pring I think is much more balanced but way better at defending so as a full back I would say there is no contest but think Roberts does a job at wing back. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

Maggie is going to do a yoga session with the lads as Jon says they are deconditioned

Then that nice Brian said he would help her with training 

Shes quite excited as she told Brian that it was her choice to get the nice looking blonde lad from Oxford who looks like Sting

The big question is, when does Manning follow Sting's lead and shave his head. Can't be far off now...

I'm always here for hard-hitting football analysis...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

You'll get stick for this post from a few Bristol Sport Fanboys and whilst I will be continuing to attend I do understand a lot of the points you make tbf. Spot on about the Bristol Sport monstrosity. What really does my head in at the moment is the thought that the appointment of a relatively inexperienced manager means the ******* snake running our football operation now gets to stick his snout further and further into the trough.

I don’t really care to be honest. I’m past caring. Everyone is entitled to their opinions which I respect. Just saying how I see it.

Only time will show the true effects of the decision that was made to part way with Nigel Pearson and if there is some element of truth in what KITR says about the health concerns then it should at least have been handled with more dignity.

1 hour ago, RedJim said:

Exactly what I'm thinking. I'm not sure I'll attend another game at the Gate this season, I've had it with Steve Lansdown FC.

I appreciate those that who will choose to carry on despite the changes as I stated. You can still be a passionate fan of Bristol City FC regardless of your own personal opinions. I’ve just decided for myself that I’m not going to invest in the Lansdown project and I’ll continue to dream of the day when the football club (and only the football club) can untangle itself from this mess.

Might be waiting a long time but hey-ho it is what it is.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spud21 said:

I agree that I don’t think he comes in and wants to revert straight into a 3, but I do feel that he’s recruited Leigh and Stevens to be able to move to a 3. And he definitely played 3 all season at MK. 

I think he’s an intelligent enough bloke to come in and play to the teams strengths initially, but I do also think that in the long run we will likely see him want to recruit for a 3. 
This might mean us having to bring in a creative 10 and a right wing back who is more attack minded than Tanner and maybe when fit he uses McRorie as the RCB. 
My guess is that his initial requests from the recruitment team will be a RWB, an AM and a DM to replace James (who won’t have his contract renewed). 

• Sad 1

Just now, Harry said:

I agree that I don’t think he comes in and wants to revert straight into a 3, but I do feel that he’s recruited Leigh and Stevens to be able to move to a 3. And he definitely played 3 all season at MK. 

I think he’s an intelligent enough bloke to come in and play to the teams strengths initially, but I do also think that in the long run we will likely see him want to recruit for a 3. 
This might mean us having to bring in a creative 10 and a right wing back who is more attack minded than Tanner and maybe when fit he uses McRorie as the RCB. 
My guess is that his initial requests from the recruitment team will be a RWB, an AM and a DM to replace James (who won’t have his contract renewed). 

Yea agreed think he will recruit over time for a 3, not sure if McRorie is a Rwb type as well I haven't seen anything of the poor bloke 🙁 and Think Tanner can do the Rcb job and you also have Sykes who can do Rwb depending on if you play a 3 up top or a two, so would assume it all depends on McRorie as to if he needs a Rwb or is more looking at a cover type player. 

Will be interested to see how Matty James gets on as I always feel he's not mobile enough to play the way I assume Manning will want us to, but then he's always absolutely everywhere so then I think maybe he does have the mobility. 

I am a huge fan of Jason Knight and how he's been playing so would be I terested to see if he could play the Am role as he looks to have at least some of the attributes. 

12 minutes ago, mozo said:

He doesn’t do it very much at the mo’! 😉

10 minutes ago, Spud21 said:

Potentially, but I'd think Roberts is more likely to be the wing back if there is one, as from what I've seen he looks far better going forward than defending. 

Whereas Pring I think is much more balanced but way better at defending so as a full back I would say there is no contest but think Roberts does a job at wing back. 

Think Roberts is much more a LCB3 than a LWB.  Don’t think he’s an “up and downer” per se.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

All of this brings into question whether in future we are recruiting for a formation or an identity, or both or neither!

I’ve often said a back 3 is an “all-in” system, and you have to recruit to it accordingly…or heavily rely on versatility.  We do have some versatility however, but not enough to play it week in week out and have cover for injuries, fatigue, rest and rotation.

Will be interesting to see it play out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spud21 said:

Will be interested to see how Matty James gets on as I always feel he's not mobile enough to play the way I assume Manning will want us to, but then he's always absolutely everywhere so then I think maybe he does have the mobility. 

He’s an “anticipator”.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spud21 said:

Yea agreed think he will recruit over time for a 3, not sure if McRorie is a Rwb type as well I haven't seen anything of the poor bloke 🙁 and Think Tanner can do the Rcb job and you also have Sykes who can do Rwb depending on if you play a 3 up top or a two, so would assume it all depends on McRorie as to if he needs a Rwb or is more looking at a cover type player. 

I am a huge fan of Jason Knight and how he's been playing so would be I terested to see if he could play the Am role as he looks to have at least some of the attributes. 

If Manning likes two at the base then I guess that would be James and Knight, with Knight given a tad more licence to maraud?

Edited by mozo