IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

1 minute ago, Harry said:

As others have alluded, the negativity is more due to Pearson’s dismissal. 

Personally, I’m not as bothered as others about Pearson leaving and am actually quite enthused at Manning’s appointment. 
As I said earlier, I watched the MK team a number of times under his tenure and I really enjoyed the way they played. 
Similarly, I saw Oxford a couple of times last year (before he arrived) and they were dog-awful and I thought they’d go down, but since his arrival he’s turned around the results but also the performances. 

I’m probably in a minority on here but I’m actually happy with his arrival. 

Is there anyone who featured in the betting who you’d have preferred? Doesn’t matter whether a credible link or not - just theoretically 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

When I met Rennie - which of course makes me biased - he talked about the improvements in fitness, the change they’d introduced, how the players bought into it, started to take ownership for monitoring themselves.  He talked about other managers noticing their fitness levels, Kompany being one.  We’ve heard from more than one manager this season about our relentless running this season.

And then you hear Jon Effing Lansdown coming out with words like “deconditioned”.

I can’t go into some of the things he talked about, as that would be wrong.  But based on that there is no reason for a slur / discredit of the way the players were kept fit.

Really very poor comments from JL “clutching at straws comes to mind”.
 Think there’s something About Bristol Bears watching on during some fitness tests and admitted they were so much less fit than Bristol City boys, that they wouldn’t keep up with it. 

Seems like there might have been a hold up last minute.  If a poster on here is to be beileved that Chris hogg mannings assistant at both mk dons and oxford doesn't want to leave Oxford then they may be looking at other assistant head coaches they can employ along side manning.

Edited by BCFC31

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Personally, I’m not as bothered as others about Pearson leaving and am actually quite enthused at Manning’s appointment. 
As I said earlier, I watched the MK team a number of times under his tenure and I really enjoyed the way they played. 
Similarly, I saw Oxford a couple of times last year (before he arrived) and they were dog-awful and I thought they’d go down, but since his arrival he’s turned around the results but also the performances. 

Moving from Pearson to a younger "modern" coach not "manager" was transparently the plan. 

And it's a good one.

But the ham-fisted manner in which the transition has been handled leaves a lot to be desired.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Seems like they might have been a hold up last minute if a poster on here is to be beileve that Chris hogg manning assistant at both mk dons and oxford doesn't want yo leave Oxford then they may be looking at other assistant head coaches they can employ along side manning.

Who’s said on here that he doesn’t want to leave Oxford? Someone said that he lives in Ipswich (and so commuting to Bristol will be tricky) but not that he doesn’t want to leave Oxford that I’ve seen?

Edited by lenred
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BCFC31 said:

Seems like they might have been a hold up last minute if a poster on here is to be beileve that Chris hogg manning assistant at both mk dons and oxford doesn't want yo leave Oxford then they may be looking at other assistant head coaches they can employ along side manning.

Is there a perfectly good Assistant at the club already? Curtis…..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Seems like there might have been a hold up last minute.  If a poster on here is to be beileved that Chris hogg mannings assistant at both mk dons and oxford doesn't want to leave Oxford then they may be looking at other assistant head coaches they can employ along side manning.

In fairness if true, he might be first in line to get the job there so I wouldn't blame him. His not coming shouldn't hold up our announcement, we can announce an assistant anytime down the line.

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

Who’s said on here that he doesn’t want to leave Oxford? Someone said that he lives in Ipswich but not that he doesn’t want to leave Oxford that I’ve seen?

I'm not sure,  I saw a post mentioning hogg doesn't want to follow manning to bristol city, I'd imagen that would be abit of a hurdle given how well they have worked  together in the past

Edited by BCFC31

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Is there anyone who featured in the betting who you’d have preferred? Doesn’t matter whether a credible link or not - just theoretically 

From those names that were in the betting - no. 
Manning or Mousinho were always the main plan. 

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Moving from Pearson to a younger "modern" coach not "manager" was transparently the plan. 

And it's a good one.

But the ham-fisted manner in which the transition has been handled leaves a lot to be desired.

Agreed. 

6 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Listened to the interview/podcast in question last night, and I personally couldn’t see anything more clearly than he’s going to leave Oxford too to work with him here. 

I believe the phrase he used was “I really couldn’t imagine working with anyone other than Liam”

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

You are definitely in a minority.

However, more on here now seem to be falling in to the 'it could be worse' bracket. Others have just resigned themselves to just getting on with it bracket.

(not having a dig by the way).

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Listened to the interview/podcast in question last night, and I personally couldn’t see anything more clearly than he’s going to leave Oxford too to work with him here. 

I believe the phrase he used was “I really couldn’t imagine working with anyone other than Liam”

Which podcast is this ? 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

He doesn’t do it very much at the mo’! 😉

Think Roberts is much more a LCB3 than a LWB.  Don’t think he’s an “up and downer” per se.

All of this brings into question whether in future we are recruiting for a formation or an identity, or both or neither!

I’ve often said a back 3 is an “all-in” system, and you have to recruit to it accordingly…or heavily rely on versatility.  We do have some versatility however, but not enough to play it week in week out and have cover for injuries, fatigue, rest and rotation.

Will be interesting to see it play out.

We will be recruiting and developing for a default formation (could be 3 at the back and wing backs). The Academy will play the same way to bring continuity.

Don't expect many (if any) James, King and Simpson type signings.

22 minutes ago, Harry said:

There's enough of us who feel the same as you.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, supercidered said:

However, more on here now seem to be falling in to the 'it could be worse' bracket. Others have just resigned themselves to just getting on with it bracket.

Yeah I can appreciate that. 
My take on it is that I was always of the opinion that Pearson wouldn’t get extended after his 3 years was up. So at some point, whether the end of this season or at some point during this season, he was going to leave. 
It came earlier than I expected and in circumstances that are unfavourable. But I always felt it was going to happen at some point this season. 
And the plan, even going back 3 years (and in Pearson’s own admission) was that someone else would come in and take forward what Pearson had stabilised. 

I’ve always felt that Pearson was simply the ‘stability’ manager and after the 3 years was up someone like a Manning would inherit the stability that Pearson created. 

I don’t like the circumstances as to how this has come about, but I’m happy with the appointment of Manning, having seen his teams a fair bit, I like his style of football. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zuni said:

We will be recruiting and developing for a default formation (could be 3 at the back and wing backs). The Academy will play the same way to bring continuity.

Don't expect many (if any) James, King and Simpson type signings.

Bloody hope not. We’ve finally moved away from it and begun to press and play front foot football.

The academy have been matching the first team’s style of football for some time too.

• Like 3

Just now, NewquayRed said:

Agreed don’t like how it’s happened but the timing feels right to me 

Yep. I don't like the sacking, but have always advocated that a manager transition from Pearson to someone who could take us forward based on his foundation was the way to go.

I thought it would happen closer to the end of his contract, and might be more mutual, but the trigger got pulled earlier. Fine.

I am quite excited to see what Manning can do, whether he will change or the squad will change, and where we go from here.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, supercidered said:

A "vocal" minority maybe, but there are plenty, such as myself, who share Harry's view.

• Flames 3

2 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Bloody hope not. We’ve finally moved away from it and begun to press and play front foot football.

The academy have been matching the first team’s style of football for some time too.

You can play front football in a 3-5-2 formation !! - The League 1 promotion team ?

I am aware the plan was to mirror the first team but I have seen a few Academy games and am not so sure that was happening (certainly not all of the time), perhaps it just looked that way.