IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

1 minute ago, Zuni said:

You can play front football in a 3-5-2 formation !! - The League 1 promotion team ?

I am aware the plan was to mirror the first team but I have seen a few Academy games and am not so sure that was happening (certainly not all of the time), perhaps it just looked that way.

I agree I'm not sure why playing three at the back is so criticised by some posters. It's a perfectly good formation if used right and has been by loads of teams of the past including us. It's not even set in stone we'll use it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spud21 said:

Potentially, but I'd think Roberts is more likely to be the wing back if there is one, as from what I've seen he looks far better going forward than defending. 

Whereas Pring I think is much more balanced but way better at defending so as a full back I would say there is no contest but think Roberts does a job at wing back. 

He was catastrophic at wing back v Coventry.

Lucky to last 38 minutes 

12 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Bloody hope not. We’ve finally moved away from it and begun to press and play front foot football.

The academy have been matching the first team’s style of football for some time too.

3 at the back with wingback and front foot football are absolutely not mutually exclusive.

Arguably can be more suited to it

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

He was catastrophic at wing back v Coventry.

Lucky to last 38 minutes 

He wasn't a great deal worse then the other 10 that were out there, they were all an absolute shambles, pulling him off made the most sense to accommodate the change in system but realistically could have been any of a number of players to accommodate the switch back to 4 at the back. 

My concerns about a back 3 are far more rooted in the midfield that we have than the defenders we have on the whole. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yeah I can appreciate that. 
My take on it is that I was always of the opinion that Pearson wouldn’t get extended after his 3 years was up. So at some point, whether the end of this season or at some point during this season, he was going to leave. 
It came earlier than I expected and in circumstances that are unfavourable. But I always felt it was going to happen at some point this season. 
And the plan, even going back 3 years (and in Pearson’s own admission) was that someone else would come in and take forward what Pearson had stabilised. 

I’ve always felt that Pearson was simply the ‘stability’ manager and after the 3 years was up someone like a Manning would inherit the stability that Pearson created. 

I don’t like the circumstances as to how this has come about, but I’m happy with the appointment of Manning, having seen his teams a fair bit, I like his style of football. 

Largely agree Harry.

As others have said, the way this has been done speaks of incompetency elsewhere. Nige had to manage up more than any other manager I can think of.  Manning has clear coaching credentials. Can he deal with interference? With attempts to get under 21s involved when he isn't convinced by them? Who is his sounding board within the club? 

The current set up is a power vacuum.

• Like 8

16 hours ago, RedRoss said:

Has this place turned into Gaschat where every new user who shows any sign of negativity is a secret Ted? Any new user is automatically dismissed as a Lansdown sympathiser on here currently.

Think people are suspect as when NP was appointed we didn't see the on rush of new users, all of whom were critical of NP and praising the owners that we're seeing now.

What was more suspect was the fact a lot of the new posters joined literally the day before he was ultimately sacked.

Could be circumstantial but I can see others PoV.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dan11 said:

Much like McKenna, he will avoid all talk about formations and instead talk about 'principles' and moving players about within games and in/out of possession. At MK, he was very fluid between 4-2-3-1, 3-5-2, 3-4-3.

I've flicked through this thread with interest and surprised by the negativity! He would be a great appointment for you. Us Ipswich fans were worried he might end up at Norwich. 

The way Norwich are performing, there's still time!😂

1 minute ago, Fuber said:

Think people are suspect as when NP was appointed we didn't see the on rush of new users, all of whom were critical of NP and praising the owners that we're seeing now.

What was more suspect was the fact a lot of the new posters joined literally the day before he was ulrimately sacked.

I understand the thought process but they can't be certain can they.

Without proof it's abit unfair for potentially new users who are just regular city fans getting abuse for their perspective and accused of being BS employees. It couldn't equally be feasible that a huge change i.e the sack of Nige could attract new sign ups for discussion?

We have regular browsers of the forum who haven't signed up already. We don't have to automatically attach a conspiracy of foul play and potentially put off new users. Again just seems a very gas like way of dealing with posters on here.

8 minutes ago, Fuber said:

What was more suspect was the fact a lot of the new posters joined literally the day before he was ultimately sacked.

It began on a gold escalator. It may have ended at Four Seasons Total ...

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Very few are negative about Manning.

We are negative, and angry, about the way our owners treated Pearson.

And a good chunk on here completely understand that.  But there are some that continue to say otherwise despite you, me and plenty of other explaining as such.  But they just want to argue for the sake of arguing.

43 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Seems like there might have been a hold up last minute.  If a poster on here is to be beileved that Chris hogg mannings assistant at both mk dons and oxford doesn't want to leave Oxford then they may be looking at other assistant head coaches they can employ along side manning.

My gut feel, if Liam Manning sees this as the right club for his next step, he’ll come regardless of Hogg.  As you say, there could be a time delay, but he still comes.  Personally I don’t think there will even be that, but that is just my logic, or lack of it! 😄

26 minutes ago, Zuni said:

We will be recruiting and developing for a default formation (could be 3 at the back and wing backs). The Academy will play the same way to bring continuity.

Don't expect many (if any) James, King and Simpson type signings.

Well, I just hope it follows what we’ve been recruiting towards for 18-24 months, because that’s what Tins said last week.  The criticism of Nige wasn’t the “plan” but the “performance” (according to JL and Tins) whether I agree or not with the decision.

I’d hope that you’d agree that if we are going heavily away from what we have been, that you’d question what the “hell” (polite version) the Tech Director and Head of Technical Director have been doing.  But from my point of view I’d be surprised if Manning looked at the likes of:

• Knight
  • McCrorie
  • Roberts
  • TGH
  • Sykes (last summer)

and thought they weren’t of the profile type a “young, front foot, forward thinking, high pressing” would want to bring into the club.  Tins was obviously very happy with the recruitment.

This quite simply should be a continuation of the plan, not a rip it up and start again.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Without proof it's abit unfair for potentially new users who are just regular city fans getting abuse for their perspective and accused of being BS employees. It couldn't equally be feasible that a huge change i.e the sack of Nige could attract new sign ups for discussion?

We have regular browsers of the forum who haven't signed up already. We don't have to automatically attach a conspiracy of foul play and potentially put off new users. Again just seems a very gas like way of dealing with posters on here.

The clue was they (some of the new users) signed up initially with their real names and / or email addresses that linked them back to Bristol Sport.  How effing dumb is that?

Hence why you’re seeing stuff about BS employees joining.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 3

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

And a good chunk on here completely understand that.  But there are some that continue to say otherwise despite you, me and plenty of other explaining as such.  But they just want to argue for the sake of arguing.

My gut feel, if Liam Manning sees this as the right club for his next step, he’ll come regardless of Hogg.  As you say, there could be a time delay, but he still comes.  Personally I don’t think there will even be that, but that is just my logic, or lack of it! 😄

Well, I just hope it follows what we’ve been recruiting towards for 18-24 months, because that’s what Tins said last week.  The criticism of Nige wasn’t the “plan” but the “performance” (according to JL and Tins) whether I agree or not with the decision.

I’d hope that you’d agree that if we are going heavily away from what we have been, that you’d question what the “hell” (polite version) the Tech Director and Head of Technical Director have been doing.  But from my point of view I’d be surprised if Manning looked at the likes of:

• Knight
  • McCrorie
  • Roberts
  • TGH
  • Sykes (last summer)

and thought they weren’t of the profile type a “young, front foot, forward thinking, high pressing” would want to bring into the club.  Tins was obviously very happy with the recruitment.

This quite simply should be a continuation of the plan, not a rip it up and start again.

Chris Hogg still lives in the Ipswich area and commutes to Oxford. If his family don’t want to move to Oxfordshire, would they move to Bristol?  Manning might be good but is that because he has Hogg.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

The clue was they (some of the new users) signed up initially with their real names and / or email addresses that linked them back to Bristol Sport.  How effing dumb is that?

Very dumb but not surprising if they are linked to Bristol Sport.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

• Knight
  • McCrorie
  • Roberts
  • TGH
  • Sykes (last summer)

Yep but what will stop is King playing at all, Naismith playing as CH in a back 4, Williams and James playing as a midfield pair etc etc.

Poor tactical, developmental and technical decisions I would guess to Tinnion.

There will be a clear out of the famous "dead wood" for sure.

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

Not a chance in hell it’s £600k buyout. It’s reported to be one years salary, no way he’s on £600k a year!

Just passing on a rumour I saw from 2 places, of course they could both be from the same ill informed source.
What I will say, I heard from a source I trust that he had a buy out clause in his Contract, which seems unusual. 
Again my source could be mistaken, but just passing on things I've heard.

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

Mid afternoon announcement apparently 

Did they say what day ? :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I did see that said but didn't actually see any examples. If that's the case its just bizarre and outright stupid.

Also as you highlight it may just be some. Why does it matter either way. They'll likely say something positive in respect of JL or Manning or something else club related and multiple other posters will say the opposite.

I'd rather encourage debate rather than destroy it.

16 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

A number of new posters have been posting prodigiously since Nige was sacked, all saying much the same thing. If they're genuine City fans their posting rate indicates they enjoy being on the forum so let's see if they're still posting regularly in a few months time, or whether they just quietly disappear completely over the next few weeks.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

39 minutes ago, Zuni said:

You can play front football in a 3-5-2 formation !! - The League 1 promotion team ?

I am aware the plan was to mirror the first team but I have seen a few Academy games and am not so sure that was happening (certainly not all of the time), perhaps it just looked that way.

36 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I agree I'm not sure why playing three at the back is so criticised by some posters. It's a perfectly good formation if used right and has been by loads of teams of the past including us. It's not even set in stone we'll use it.

31 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

3 at the back with wingback and front foot football are absolutely not mutually exclusive.

Arguably can be more suited to it

Because you need elite wingbacks for the level in order for it to be successful. We had them in league one, we don’t have them now.

It’s hard to play pressing football with wingbacks. It’s not impossible but difficult.

5 minutes ago, Zuni said:

Yep but what will stop is King playing at all, Naismith playing as CH in a back 4, Williams and James playing as a midfield pair etc etc.

Poor tactical, developmental and technical decisions I would guess to Tinnion.

There will be a clear out of the famous "dead wood" for sure.

For the first time in about as long as I can remember, I don't think we have any obvious dead wood.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I did see that said but didn't actually see any examples. If that's the case its just bizarre and outright stupid.

Also as you highlight it may just be some. Why does it matter either way. They'll likely say something positive in respect of JL or Manning or something else club related and multiple other posters will say the opposite.

I'd rather encourage debate rather than destroy it.

Cult GIF - Cult - Discover & Share GIFs

2 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Because you need elite wingbacks for the level in order for it to be successful. We had them in league one, we don’t have them now.

It’s hard to play pressing football with wingbacks. It’s not impossible but difficult.

James and King go in the next window and we recruit 2 or 3.